PDA

View Full Version : 2009 can am Spyder gs se5 sprocket replacement

NVERLAST1
07-04-2018, 07:01 AM
Anyone ever replaced a sprocket on one? How hard is it to do? Where can I get aftermarket sprocket?

yellow peril
07-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Have seen them on E-Bay used from savage companies.
beware of condition.
dave

Chupaca
07-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Much depends on how handy you are. It is not that hard to do. I would not go used on that item as there are many out there in fair shape but you can get them on cheapcycleparts.com. :thumbup:

163210 make sure you replace the bolt and washer as well. 163211 mine came loose but the sproket is still usablend keep it as a spare. If you have the flywheel attached you might get new bolts for it as the sproket does not come with the flywheel. 163212 I messed one up and easy to do. Mine is a 2012 but I see they don't all come with a flywheel. :thumbup:

NVERLAST1
07-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Much depends on how handy you are. It is not that hard to do. I would not go used on that item as there are many out there in fair shape but you can get them on cheapcycleparts.com. :thumbup:

163210 make sure you replace the bolt and washer as well. 163211 mine came loose but the sproket is still usablend keep it as a spare. If you have the flywheel attached you might get new bolts for it as the sproket does not come with the flywheel. 163212 I messed one up and easy to do. Mine is a 2012 but I see they don't all come with a flywheel. :thumbup:

When I tried to take bolt loose it won't come off. Then I tried again and something made pop noise.

Warlock
07-04-2018, 11:46 AM
When I tried to take bolt loose it won't come off. Then I tried again and something made pop noise.

Sometimes you have to have the brakes on to break the bolt loose. Any it will make a loud pop when breaking loose. Like others has stated buy new and replace bolt and washer.
David

aka1004
07-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Definitely don’t use used. You might have do it again in few month. Plus later generation of sprocket has beefier teeth.
I had mine replaced twice on my old 09 but both times sprocket was free spinning and I didn’t have an impact gun at the time so had let shop do it for like $150 labor. It was ridiculous how flimsy the first generation sprocket Was.

Culpjp
07-04-2018, 11:07 PM
I've replaced mine and it's not that hard. If you do a search you can find some posts that will tell you how to remove the lower bolt for the rear shock. This is an easy way to get the belt off without changing the alignment or tension. Then the pulley comes off easily. Like the others have said make sure you use a new bolt and buy a new sprocket. Both are pretty inexpensive.