PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to add GPS

FINFAN3DP
07-03-2018, 04:02 PM
How hard is it to add GPS to a Spyder RT?

billybovine
07-03-2018, 04:20 PM
What year?

Does it have a factory radio?

What model of gps are you thinking of installing?

UtahPete
07-03-2018, 04:52 PM

The Garmin GPS units can be wired very simply, just providing 12v power. Or, they can also be tied into the sound system, if the bike has one, and that is not as simple.

That's the best answer you're going to be able to get unless you provide a bunch more info, as BillyBovine has said.

FINFAN3DP
07-03-2018, 05:01 PM
The one i'm looking at is a 2014 RT-S SE6

UtahPete
07-03-2018, 05:55 PM
The one i'm looking at is a 2014 RT-S SE6
That's nice, but what are you looking at for a gps?

starrider60
07-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Power source and ball mount from Lamonster. Dealer installed them on my 2017 RTS. No problem. :thumbup:

Fat Baxter
07-03-2018, 09:54 PM
I'm also looking for a basic mount for a Garmin Nuvi. The cheapest/simplest system seems to be a dashboard mount from JT:

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

It mounts the GPS up higher, more in your line of sight, than some others that mount lower, between the handlebars.

Lew L
07-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Well Fin,
I use a Garmin 660 ( got a great deal ), A dash mount Like the one JT makes. Ram ball and arm. Easy wiring, and it mounts up high so you don't look down away from the road. The Garmin talks to my Sena smh 5 and the intercom to my wife still functions just fine.

Lew L​

spyderCodes
07-04-2018, 05:03 AM
There are a couple of considerations with GPS that are sometimes overlooked.
I know because I have and learned the hard way.
The screen must be spectacularly bright because the outside environment doesn't provide the shade that a car does.
The thing must be waterproof otherwise it might fail when you need it most, like finding your reserved hotel in a driving rain.
Been there done that.

fatenhappy
07-04-2018, 05:11 AM

I, like stacks of others on here use my cars GPS by alternate fitting it up to my 2017 F3-T .... (its a TomTom but other brands work just as well) on the inside of its windscreen.

Power comes from the top glove box and all is done and dusted in just moments.

There is no need at all to necessarily go out and spend a huge amount on a supposed motorcycle specific unit (as has been discussed on here at length before)

What ever you choose its all up to you and what you want and need … stay safe

Fat Baxter
07-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Power comes from the top glove box and all is done and dusted in just moments.

Top glove box? Is that something unique to the F3? I have an RT. Just asking.

FINFAN3DP
07-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Ended up getting a 2016 RT Limited, so no add on gps needed. Thanks.

tnhoover
07-05-2018, 04:20 PM
I pulled the gages (so I would get the digital gages) and replaced them with ram mounts. Bought 2 tam x-grip mounts from Lamont and added a 12v power source. Now I just move my Garmin from the truck to the bike and use the other mount for my phone.

bmwlarry
07-09-2018, 09:32 AM
I know some use Nuvi on the bikes. My experience with Nuvi on a bike was that the micro usb plug on the back weaker from vibration on the bike. It ended up failing. The Zumo models have a much more robust connection so there is no problem and you also get the benefit of waterproofing. If one can form Zumo, that is definitely the way I would go.

I'm also looking for a basic mount for a Garmin Nuvi. The cheapest/simplest system seems to be a dashboard mount from JT:

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

It mounts the GPS up higher, more in your line of sight, than some others that mount lower, between the handlebars.