PDA

View Full Version : Yes Deer

Lamonster
06-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I forgot to mention that when I was heading home from my painter in SC I got on the Highway and was doing about 70mph when I looked to my right and there were 3 deer right at the side of the road. :shocked: The rest of the way home I was kinda freaking out about it and hoped I wouldn't run into any. :yikes:

Keep an eye out for them forest rats. nojoke

zzneonzz
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I forgot to mention that when I was heading home from my painter in SC I got on the Highway and was doing about 70mph when I looked to my right and there were 3 deer right at the side of the road. :shocked: The rest of the way home I was kinda freaking out about it and hoped I would run into any. :yikes:

I hope that was a typo and you meant wouldn't run into any :D

Be safe out there in the sticks!!!!

daddydarko
06-01-2009, 09:30 AM
We counted 12 on our failed journey to DC. One nearly clipped us. The week before, I hit one with my car. Them forest rats are really running up here in America's mitten.

hevnbound
06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Two years ago on my Honda VFR800 I was riding in the Canaan Valley area of West Virginia and noticed 4 deer on a ridge on the left side of the road. They immediately bolted across the road in front of me but at my speed (55mph) and the distance they were in front of me, I knew they would clear me with no problem. That's when the smallest of the four spotted me and veered away from the others and started heading right for me. :yikes: ... It caught me by total surprise and had no time to react except to accelerate - I had heard that you can gain more control by "driving through" when it is inevitable you are going to be hit from the side .... ! Aparently it worked. The young deer hit me square on the left side of my front wheel and then his flank swung around and got me in the leg. As I looked in my rear view mirror, I noticed the dear sliding on it's side, spinning with its head flopping around - I suspect it broke it's neck.

When I got to the motel where I was going to meet some other riders, I told them about my encounter and I fully expected the plastic to be broken. Nothing! Not even a scratch. About the time some of them must have started to think that I made up the story, one of the guys shouted - "look at this!!!" Everywhere there was a bolt, the wheel axle, etc. there was deer hair!!

I was fortunate. Other than a sore leg, I came out of it clean. Prior to this experience I shared my wife's fairy tale thoughts of deer ..... "Ohhhh look, there's Bambi"!! No more! Although I'm not a hunter, I want all hunters to know that I support their efforts 100%!!

b2k
06-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I forgot to mention that when I was heading home from my painter in SC I got on the Highway and was doing about 70mph when I looked to my right and there were 3 deer right at the side of the road. :shocked: The rest of the way home I was kinda freaking out about it and hoped I wouldn't run into any. :yikes:

It did not bother you last year at the 109 event when we pass them on the parkway:ohyea: or was you going so fast you did not see them:lecturef_smilie:

Director
06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
The closest call I had was on my Kawasaki about eight years ago in northern Michigan. I was on a solo trip, heading for western Canada. It was 10:30 in the morning (not exactly prime deer time!) in the rain when two of them scooted across the highway directly in my path. I only had time to start braking as hard as I reasonably could in the wet and braced for impact. I was probably still doing 35-40 mph when I went by the trailing deer, my right mirror nearly grazing his (or maybe her, not sure) white butt.
I bought deer whistles after that, although I know the jury is still out on whether or not they actually work. :dontknow:

Bruce

Capt John
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Check this deer whistle out and give us your input.
www.xphornet.com (http://www.xphornet.com)

Dudley
06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
The closest call I had was on my Kawasaki about eight years ago in northern Michigan. I was on a solo trip, heading for western Canada. It was 10:30 in the morning (not exactly prime deer time!) in the rain when two of them scooted across the highway directly in my path. I only had time to start braking as hard as I reasonably could in the wet and braced for impact. I was probably still doing 35-40 mph when I went by the trailing deer, my right mirror nearly grazing his (or maybe her, not sure) white butt.
I bought deer whistles after that, although I know the jury is still out on whether or not they actually work. :dontknow:

Bruce

That's one subject that will probably always be open to discussion. I bought some years ago for my Voyager. Did they work? Who knows, never hit a deer to disprove them. I did, on a few occasions pass deer off the road, they just stood still and looked. If that's what they are supposed to do, I guess the things work!

Lamonster
06-01-2009, 11:42 AM
It did not bother you last year at the 109 event when we pass them on the parkway:ohyea: or was you going so fast you did not see them:lecturef_smilie:
:dontknow::shemademe_smilie:

spyder08
06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Living in the mountains for 32 years, we see deer everyday of our lives. I am so carefull driving either in my car or my Spyder. Even being carefull we get them that run right into your car. So everybody out there be careful.

spyder08
06-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Oop just got up from my computer and have a deer 10 feet from my kitchen window.

Neez
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
My buddy and I were on our two wheelers leaning into a curve on our way to Fort St. John when a black bear, who had been feeding on berries in the roadside ditch, scrambled across the road in front of us. We narrowly missed him. With a spyder you have more options about braking or swerving in a curve, IMHO, wereas with a bike, once heeled over, your course is somewhat set.