PDA

View Full Version : Drive From East Coast to Alberta CA?

newbert
06-29-2018, 10:59 AM
We've got reservations for a week in the Banff/Jasper area around the end of July and will be driving from the East Coast (because I won't fly anymore).

Although we aren't planning on seeing any specific sights on the way, we are open to one or two side trips along the way to view some nice scenery. It's been a few years since making a cross-country road trip for us and I'm concerned that over that time traffic volumes have increased, so --

- Assuming we don't make any side trips, how many days do you estimate would be needed to get to Banff, Alberta from eastern NY State? (We plan on driving most of the route in Canada, and plan to drive 8-10 hours per day).

- Any suggestions regarding interesting/scenic stops along the way (not too far off the Trans-Canada Highway)?

Thanks!

sylvester
06-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Probably take 3 days with canadas speed laws, i recommend going a little further to Fairmont Hot springs in BC absolutely beautiful if you stay at the resort it's kind of pricey but worth it if your camping it will be cheaper all beautiful country, we went from kansas city to fairmont then across to Quibec down to Jersey then home. enjoy and be careful. If you are crossing at niagera falls stop in Saint catherines and stay a the Lock 7 Hotel really reasonable and all rooms face the lock so you can watch ships raised and lowered awesome sight

bhern
06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
If not, that's definitely worth seeing as you'll be more or less in the neighborhood west of Medicine Hat.

Envy you the week in Banff -- now I've just got to get back there!

HayRog
06-29-2018, 04:34 PM
On your way west, Rugby ND. Neat little town with the "geographic center of North America" as it's claim to fame. The monument there will tell you.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11486

Then most of the good sights are in and around the area you're headed.

Enjoy the trip Newbert :D

canamjhb
06-29-2018, 08:50 PM
On a typical road trip, I plan to travel 50 miles for each hour between motel stops. That time frame includes fuel, photo op, meal, and rest stops. So, if I leave the motel and travel 8 hours I will usually go about 400 miles. Of course, that varies but I have found it to be a good guideline.

newbert
07-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

We've already been to Glacier NP, so have no plans to pass thru again. (Perhaps on the way home when we'll take the "southerly" route thru the US.)

The guideline of 50 miles for each hour of driving seems like a good idea. We have no need to rush, but don't want tgo dawdle either.

Thanks again!

Bert

Deanna777
07-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

We've already been to Glacier NP, so have no plans to pass thru again. (Perhaps on the way home when we'll take the "southerly" route thru the US.)

The guideline of 50 miles for each hour of driving seems like a good idea. We have no need to rush, but don't want tgo dawdle either.

Thanks again!

BertBert, keep us posted how the trip is going.

In the North East we are having a heat wave.
Deanna

newbert
07-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Bert, keep us posted how the trip is going.

In the North East we are having a heat wave.
Deanna

I'm still home, Deanna. We're not leaving (by car) until near the end of this month.

And yeah - IT'S HOT HERE!