PDA

View Full Version : vibration at speed

johnv50
06-27-2018, 08:08 AM
I have a 2017 F3 Limited and notice all is well up to 70 mph, but when I am in the 75 to 80 range and back off the throttle I get a pronounced vibration. Does this sound like an issue that would be resolved with a belt tensioner and if so what is the recommended one to buy ?

thanks johnv

krazykat
06-27-2018, 08:20 AM
I have a 2017 F3 Limited and notice all is well up to 70 mph, but when I am in the 75 to 80 range and back off the throttle I get a pronounced vibration. Does this sound like an issue that would be resolved with a belt tensioner and if so what is the recommended one to buy ?

thanks johnv

This sounds very much like drive belt vibration. I recommend the belt vibration dampener sold by Doc Humphreys at Roadster Renovations (A sponsor on home page). Works great for me.

Navydad
06-27-2018, 09:15 AM
:agree: I have Doc's and it works well.

BajaRon
06-27-2018, 09:40 AM
This sounds very much like drive belt vibration. I recommend the belt vibration dampener sold by Doc Humphreys at Roadster Renovations (A sponsor on home page). Works great for me.

:agree: Though it is not a functional problem. If this vibration is a problem for you a good quality belt dampener would probably be a good move.

Roadster Renovations
06-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Here is the link:
https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/products

johnv50
06-27-2018, 01:24 PM
thanks for the input. is Doc's a pretty straightforward install for an experienced back yard mechanic ?

canamjhb
06-27-2018, 02:16 PM
thanks for the input. is Doc's a pretty straightforward install for an experienced back yard mechanic ?

Very easy installation. Instructions are clear and detailed. Should only take about a half hour or less.....

Navydad
06-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Took me longer to deal with the plastic panels on my RT than it did to install the tensioner. I had about an hour in the job.

BoxyLady
06-27-2018, 04:47 PM

I'm not even a backyard mechanic and I knocked it out no problem. Put ours on a couple of weeks ago and absolutely 0 belt vibration at any speed at any time. It's a simple premise, but a wonderfully engineering product from Doc.

You will DEFINITELY want to watch the video from Lamonster Garage for a couple of little tricks for installing it...saved me a tremendous amount of time and frustration. I was done in 30 minutes and that includes taking off/putting back on the panels.

we are bonafide believers in this product. BRP also makes one that will tempt you for $40, but numerous folks on the forum have said, from experience, you will be buying them on a regular basis, compared with Doc Humphrey's model.

Road-Kill
06-27-2018, 05:03 PM
I felt the same on/off vibration when I hit 62 MPH. I had the extremely well built made in Japan BRP idler installed and 24,000 miles later it still works fine. I am considering having it replaced at the 28,000 mile service only because they warranty both the idler and the belt and its so inexpensive. At $50.00 for both its purchase and dealer installation with its rugged build and fantastic warranty you cant go wrong. For a lot more money and very limited warranty you buy an aftermarket though. Choose wisely.

thanks johnv

stmike 1800
06-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Has anyone had the idler installed under warranty ?

nslowmotion
06-27-2018, 06:38 PM

thanks johnv

Get Doc Humphreys belt vibration dampener from Roaster Renovations and you will be glad you did, its the best.:yes:

Peteoz
06-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Has anyone had the idler installed under warranty ?

Hahaha.....that would mean acknowledging there is a potential problem, Mike.....and to be fair, some riders don’t even notice/experience the vibration. No, BRP are very generously providing those riders who believe they have a vibration issue with a solution.....for a price. ;):D:D

Pete

Lew L
06-28-2018, 09:28 AM
I have Doc's dampens on my 2014 RTS . It's perfect and an easy I stall.
Lew L

stmike 1800
06-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Hahaha.....that would mean acknowledging there is a potential problem, Mike.....and to be fair, some riders don’t even notice/experience the vibration. No, BRP are very generously providing those riders who believe they have a vibration issue with a solution.....for a price. ;):D:D

Pete

If more people would complain to the dealer and BRP ,instead of going straight to the aftermarket maybe it would get fixed . And i am not talking just about the vibration ,there is a list of things that should be fixed. :banghead:

Peteoz
06-28-2018, 03:36 PM
If more people would complain to the dealer and BRP ,instead of going straight to the aftermarket maybe it would get fixed . And i am not talking just about the vibration ,there is a list of things that should be fixed. :banghead:

Do you really believe many owners haven’t been doing that for years, Mike? ;) ...... with no success;)

Pete

stmike 1800
06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Do you really believe many owners haven’t been doing that for years, Mike? ;) ...... with no success;)

Pete

I always get the "never heard of that problem before ". BRP and alot of dealers are liars .:mad:

Peteoz
06-29-2018, 12:18 AM
I always get the "never heard of that problem before ". BRP and alot of dealers are liars .:mad:

Yeah, I often hear that too, Mike. Even though you have a mate who has taken their bike to them just a couple of weeks earlier with the same problem. So what’s the use of complaining to your dealer and BRP then? ;)

Pete

stmike 1800
06-29-2018, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I often hear that too, Mike. Even though you have a mate who has taken their bike to them just a couple of weeks earlier with the same problem. So what’s the use of complaining to your dealer and BRP then? ;)

Pete

It makes me feel better i guess .And remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease .:lecturef_smilie: