PDA

View Full Version : Yummy BBQ Burgers

canamjhb
06-23-2018, 08:47 PM
My wife and I seem to always disagree about the fat content in meat. She wants lean and I want fat. I read one of those cooking tips that sometimes shows up on the internet. They suggested using 70% lean and 30% fat for a tastier juicy burger. Well, wife is out of town and I rule the roost (for now) so off to the store I go. They only had 72/28.....close enough. Cooked up my supper tonight and I have to admit that I have never BBQd a better burger. I have 2 more pattys in the freezer to use when she comes home. Think I'll keep my mouth shut and let her enjoy. I'll probably confess after the fact but will wait for just the right time to do so.....

asp125
06-23-2018, 09:51 PM
A little fat keeps the burger moist and tender. I've tried the 90% lean patties, they end up like chewing on shoe leather.

Now... if you haven't tried Bison or Elk patties... you owe it to yourself to try em.

canamjhb
06-23-2018, 10:43 PM
A little fat keeps the burger moist and tender. I've tried the 90% lean patties, they end up like chewing on shoe leather.

Now... if you haven't tried Bison or Elk patties... you owe it to yourself to try em.

Tried both. I didn't care for Bison but loved Elk. Could have just been the cut.....

PrairieSpyder
06-24-2018, 08:35 AM
The only bison meat I've had was the filet. They wouldn't cook it more than medium, because it would be too tough.

We use 80% hamburger and try not to overcook it, no more than medium, and they're fine.

Lew L
06-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Just don't squish the burger. Sear both sides and cook to medium or med rare. Serve with bacon:thumbup: on a quality bun.
Decent cheese is a great option. None of that processed cheese food in this house.

Condiments------- Beer.

Lew L

Bob Denman
06-24-2018, 09:44 AM
"Fat is flavor, and Butter is better!" :thumbup:
This was told to me by a professionally trained Chef from the Culinary Institute...

ARtraveler
06-24-2018, 01:07 PM
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this subject. Who don't like burgers?

We use 80/20 as opposed to the 93/7 that is available also. The more prime is way to dry for me.

It's a shame that everything that "tastes" good has some kind of warning about it.

And I love Bison. Our favorite place to get buffalo burgers is when we go to South Dakota. They seem to have the "good stuff" there.

:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq: