PDA

View Full Version : What is the labor time for a ....

Genradman
06-21-2018, 07:22 PM
a rear tire replacement.....2 hour quote seems high to me...then 1 more hour to check alignment....

and is 8k on original rear tire on a RT riding two up (525 lbs) seems right?

Comments Please!!!

Deanna777
06-21-2018, 07:31 PM
a rear tire replacement.....2 hour quote seems high to me...then 1 more hour to check alignment....

Comments Please!!!I had a rear tire replaced in 2015 ( General Altimax RT43) at the time the dealer ship charged me $79.00 labor rate. Now it is $89.00 labor rate. The can am dealership is in Vermont.

Do you have Kenda's on the rear tire?

I have roughly 16,000 mile on the rear tire, The Kenda tire was changed @ 5,824 miles. Mileage on spyder is 23,000.

Deanna

canamjhb
06-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Alignment by itself should be no more than a 1/2 hour job.....and that includes enough time for the mechanic to scratch, sniff, & spit. Rear tire replacement should be about one hour INCLUDING alignment check. If your dealer is charging you 2 hours for the tire plus an additional hour for alignment he must need extra money for his kids college tuition and wants it from you.....

wd8ajj
06-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Tire and align takes about 1 hour. My shop did it in a bit less and was 125.00 for all. The OEM tire lasts only about 6K. thats why most have dumped the OEM tires and gone to better. My rear tire was replaced at 7K an now have 24K on my Altima and still looks like new.
129 for the OEM tire from the dealer and have to replace it 2X a year!, NO WAY!!!
Many links here on tires and what people bought and like. Use it, will save you BIG $$$ in the long and short end.

JayBros
06-21-2018, 08:22 PM
The 2014 RT flat rate manual lists 2.0 hr which must include tire replacement and adjustment of rear wheel. The dealer I use for rear tire charges 1 hr.

ARtraveler
06-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Most dealers go by the flat rate book. That is where the two hour quote came from.

Mileage will vary. I get about 15K on my Kenda rear tires. This number holds on all five spyders owned. The 2014 came with a softer rubber compound, that one got me 8,900.

I am very conservative in my riding. Many on here have got considerably less mileage.

Peter Aawen
06-21-2018, 11:11 PM

Sheesh, that's somewhat more than TWICE what I got out of the original OE Spec Kenda; it's still close to twice what I got out of a second Kenda rear that was supposedly 'a better and longer lasting compound'; and yet that was only ONE of the multiple & significant reasons that I no longer run the OE Kenda tires!! :shocked:

You should ask your dealer to fit something else, IMHO almost ANYTHING else that has better load & speed ratings etc will be better!! And if your dealer says 'No!' (which seems to be the common reply to that request!) maybe you should consider the action you'd take if a car dealer who'd sold you a brand new car with such poorly performing tires refused to fit anything else when you took it in for service!? I really can't understand why all you mob over there on that continent are putting up with such poor service?!? :dontknow:

cptjam
06-21-2018, 11:58 PM
We do a lot of these. 2 hours is not unrealistic, remove, replace tire, balance, install, check alignment. If everything goes right! SpyderAnn lets me help, especially with the tire off/on the rim. Once it is balanced, it goes back on. Most shops don’t have 2 techs working together, like we do. 25 years, we seem to work well together. Doing a tire tomorrow, in fact. I’ll time it!

UtahPete
06-22-2018, 12:04 AM
a rear tire replacement.....2 hour quote seems high to me...then 1 more hour to check alignment..and is 8k on original rear tire on a RT riding two up (525 lbs) seems right? Comments Please!!!

2 hours is the standard, but that should include aligning the belt on the rear sprocket. If the belt was set right to begin with and the mechanic knows what he's doing then it shouldn't need 'aligning' again after reinstalling the wheel.

C. Lee
06-22-2018, 06:37 AM
I just turned 9K on my 16 RTL this morning, we ride 2 up about 70% of the time and my rear time isn't even down to the wear bars yet. I must be lucky. :dontknow: Chris

slick999
06-22-2018, 07:44 AM
I just turned 9K on my 16 RTL this morning, we ride 2 up about 70% of the time and my rear time isn't even down to the wear bars yet. I must be lucky. :dontknow: Chris

I have a late 2014 rt ltd and mostly ride 2 up,7500 miles and my rear tire isn't even wore 50%.I feel lucky too having one of the newer rubber compound rear tires.