PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis

DR Buck
06-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Who is headed to Sturgis? This year is check off my bucket list Sturgis trip. First year of retirement and we are combining a few visits in the same trip. Will be trailering in the toyhauler and spending 6 days in and around Sturgis.

easysuper
06-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Make the Deadwood Rally first then hit Sturgis, IMHO Sturgis is highly overrated just like Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras . 40 years ago a lot more fun but now just a reason for a lot of bad behavior. A great time to go to Sturgis is a week BEFORE Bike Week, you can still get the experience but miss most of the crowd and some of the stupid people. Enjoy your trip, once you ride the Black Hills you will understand why the Sioux fought so hard to hold on to it.
162320 162321 162322 162323 162324

ARtraveler
06-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Make the Deadwood Rally first then hit Sturgis, IMHO Sturgis is highly overrated just like Bourbon Street and Mardi Gras . 40 years ago a lot more fun but now just a reason for a lot of bad behavior. A great time to go to Sturgis is a week BEFORE Bike Week, you can still get the experience but miss most of the crowd and some of the stupid people. Enjoy your trip, once you ride the Black Hills you will understand why the Sioux fought so hard to hold on to it.
162320 162321 162322 162323 162324

:agree: x 2. Black Hills: One of my favorite places to visit.

SPYD3R
06-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Sturgis is ok, if you like a party with 1,500,000 people in attendance....
you need to look at the 3WHEEL EVENT in Deadwood starting on July 10th... Deadwood is just down the street from Sturgis, and in my humbled opinion, is a better bet...
Dan P
SPYD3R

Mazo EMS2
06-13-2018, 05:33 PM
We'll be going to Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally and getting outta dodge before the dumb arrives in town for the Sturgis Rally. There is NO way I could deal with that many people. I hope that the Deadwood Rally is somewhat limited to under 1000 folks. Less is more for rallies in my opinion.

jaherbst
06-13-2018, 09:24 PM
Those who previously posted are correct. Even during the Deadwood Three Wheel Rally people will be arriving for the Sturgis Rally. Been

there numerous times. First time was 1967 and rode a BSA 441 from Minneapolis. My hands are still numb from the vibration. It is exciting

at times and you will have to be tolerant of the crazies and Loonies. First time I have seen a couple riding a Harley Totally Naked. Yep and

many more things that will shock most.

After attending many times our general operandi was arrive two to three weeks early and leave opening day. All the venders and crazies

will be there two to three weeks early also. We will make a couple of runs to Sturgis to have a beer at the Broken Spoke and One eyed

Jacks during the TWR.

Jack

RapidSpyder
06-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Besides the traffic another reason to come here early (or late) is to avoid the fleecing of the bikers. Everything gets crazy expensive during the Rally. The smart ones have learned to either come early and catch the first few days or arrive toward the end then stay after it is done. The really crazy stuff has moved to the smaller towns nearby in WY due to increased Law Enforcement presence in Sturgis.

RapidSpyder
06-13-2018, 10:52 PM
Those who previously posted are correct. Even during the Deadwood Three Wheel Rally people will be arriving for the Sturgis Rally. Been

there numerous times. First time was 1967 and rode a BSA 441 from Minneapolis. My hands are still numb from the vibration. It is exciting

at times and you will have to be tolerant of the crazies and Loonies. First time I have seen a couple riding a Harley Totally Naked. Yep and

many more things that will shock most.

After attending many times our general operandi was arrive two to three weeks early and leave opening day. All the venders and crazies

will be there two to three weeks early also. We will make a couple of runs to Sturgis to have a beer at the Broken Spoke and One eyed

Jacks during the TWR.

Jack

got to try the Loud American for their steak tips while you are there if you haven’t ...

easysuper
06-14-2018, 08:14 AM
got to try the Loud American for their steak tips while you are there if you haven’t ...

My Favorite Steak Tips are at the Longhorn in Sundance , you can stop there on the way or coming back from Devils Tower.

jaherbst
06-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the tip. I am a little like the guy who said "I never met a man I didn't like" except in my case I never met a meal I didn't like! :D

​Jack

SPYD3R
06-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the tip. I am a little like the guy who said "I never met a man I didn't like" except in my case I never met a meal I didn't like! :D

​Jack

Jack;
maybe you, RAPIDSPYDER and i can meet for lunch at the LOUD AMERICAN....? I LOVE STEAK TIPS.....
Dan P
SPYD3R

RapidSpyder
06-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a destination ride to me, or at least a waypoint. Only about 15 minutes up Boulder Canyon from Deadwood!

JulieMarie
06-17-2018, 09:29 PM
I'm going with some friends. While I'm not that interested in Sturgis, we are going early to see Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and the Badlands national parks. We will catch the first couple days of Sturgis and then head home. We will be able to say we've been there! But that really isn't the part I'm looking forward to.

RapidSpyder
06-17-2018, 09:45 PM
I'm going with some friends. While I'm not that interested in Sturgis, we are going early to see Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills and the Badlands national parks. We will catch the first couple days of Sturgis and then head home. We will be able to say we've been there! But that really isn't the part I'm looking forward to.

Sturgis Rally or Deadwood? Deadwood 3 wheeler rally is 10-15 July and the Sturgis Bike week is 3-12 Aug. :dontknow: Just wondering, since got we off on a bunny trail talking about steak tips....

JulieMarie
06-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Sturgis Rally or Deadwood? Deadwood 3 wheeler rally is 10-15 July and the Sturgis Bike week is 3-12 Aug. :dontknow: Just wondering, since got we off on a bunny trail talking about steak tips....

Sturgis!

Southern Spyder Girl
06-24-2018, 10:56 PM
We rode 1,500 miles to Sturgis last year, 1,000 miles while I was there, and 1500 miles back home. No Problems. We stayed in Hill City. They reported about 500,000-600,000 people would be there over two weeks. We are starting a 30 day ride July 7, going west and ending up in Sturgis again this year and I expect to enjoy it again.....Every biker should go at least once in their life time. Lets Ride.........

gerald37
06-25-2018, 05:55 AM
I plan on going to Sturgis. I did missed last year. I have missed 4 years out of 44 years. My first time was 1955. Then I never went back until 1977 and have missed 4 time since then. Here is a picture of my first trip riding a 1949 Harley. I am on the back bike.

pegasus1300
06-25-2018, 11:16 AM
I plan on going to Sturgis. I did missed last year. I have missed 4 years out of 44 years. My first time was 1955. Then I never went back until 1977 and have missed 4 time since then. Here is a picture of my first trip riding a 1949 Harley. I am on the back bike.

Now that is a classic picture.You should have a quality enlargement made,frame it and hang it on the wall. Great picture.

gerald37
06-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Now that is a classic picture.You should have a quality enlargement made,frame it and hang it on the wall. Great picture.

I have one in office on the wall. There use to be one in our local bar in my home town. I am the only one living. I was 16 years old and the other three were 18 at the time. We had travel Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Hills. We camp the hole trip except one night and stayed that night in Custer, So. Dakota.

pegasus1300
06-25-2018, 02:02 PM
I have one in office on the wall. There use to be one in our local bar in my home town. I am the only one living. I was 16 years old and the other three were 18 at the time. We had travel Colorado Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Hills. We camp the hole trip except one night and stayed that night in Custer, So. Dakota.

Excellent. Hope you also have the story preserved?

DR Buck
07-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Well the trip to the Sturgis Rally is confirmed. Unlike some of you, we will not be riding the Spyder to get there. Being in the latter half of the 60's it would be a long ride. I could probably do it, but the wife could not. So we will be bringing the Spyder in our Toyhauler. It will be over 3500 miles roundtrip not counting all the sight seeing side trips around the Black Hills. Our first stop will be Michigan for a few days visiting friends and taking in a Pig Roast. :bbq:. Toyhauler will be in the campground and all our local travel will be on the Spyder. From Michigan we are heading west to Rapid City SD, probably overnighting on the way. We have a campground reservation in the Black Hills west of Rapid City where the toyhauler will be parked for the next 6 days. It will be all Spyder then. :trike:. In addition to cruising through Sturgis several times, I will be visiting with a daughter I have not seen in 29 years that lives there. She also rides. :yes: . She has a real nice 2 wheel cruiser. We will be touring Deadwood, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and all points in between and around. We are really looking forward to this trip as it is the first time we ever vacationed or traveled and didn't have to rush to get back to go to work. :roflblack:

I hope to see lots of Spyders there.

jaherbst
07-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Jack;
maybe you, RAPIDSPYDER and i can meet for lunch at the LOUD AMERICAN....? I LOVE STEAK TIPS.....
Dan P
SPYD3R

Sounds Great!

​Jack

jaherbst
07-01-2018, 09:46 AM

See guys and gals, there was no atgatt in those days and Helmuts were not even thought of. Not sure if "Beer" was even invented yet! :D

​Jack

al0vely
07-01-2018, 10:00 AM
It will be all Spyder then. :trike:. In addition to cruising through Sturgis several times, I will be visiting with a daughter I have not seen in 29 years that lives there. She also rides. :yes: . She has a real nice 2 wheel cruiser.

Enjoy the trip and most of all reconnecting with your daughter after so many years.

Huked
07-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Well the trip to the Sturgis Rally is confirmed. Unlike some of you, we will not be riding the Spyder to get there. Being in the latter half of the 60's it would be a long ride. I could probably do it, but the wife could not. So we will be bringing the Spyder in our Toyhauler. It will be over 3500 miles roundtrip not counting all the sight seeing side trips around the Black Hills. Our first stop will be Michigan for a few days visiting friends and taking in a Pig Roast. :bbq:. Toyhauler will be in the campground and all our local travel will be on the Spyder. From Michigan we are heading west to Rapid City SD, probably overnighting on the way. We have a campground reservation in the Black Hills west of Rapid City where the toyhauler will be parked for the next 6 days. It will be all Spyder then. :trike:. In addition to cruising through Sturgis several times, I will be visiting with a daughter I have not seen in 29 years that lives there. She also rides. :yes: . She has a real nice 2 wheel cruiser. We will be touring Deadwood, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and all points in between and around. We are really looking forward to this trip as it is the first time we ever vacationed or traveled and didn't have to rush to get back to go to work. :roflblack:

I have gone the last 4 years and going again this year. The crazies seem to be in small areas for the most part. You are staying far enough away you will have no troubles. If you stayed at the Chip or other big name places you may run into a few rowdy people that have had a few. I stay in a quiet clean campground outside of town about 12 miles and have never had any problems. Traffic in town and parking in town is where you find that the number of people come into play. There are lots of people, but the 75th was the only year where it was out of control. If you are friendly others are too. Just don't get in a hurry and life and your vacation will be good. The others are correct for it being less crowded before and after, but don't let their fear of crowds infect you. A fun and safe time can be had by all.