PDA

View Full Version : Would you go for extented warranty or parst/service discount......

Ride2GetHigh
06-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Buying a brand new 2018 Spyder RT and all was going well. They pulled it out of the box, set it up and the radio wasn't working. Take apart, check this check that. Seems from the factory (so they say) the radio antenna cable to the radio box was broken/bad.
Salesman tells me they need to replace the harness that will take a few more days getting and replacing. Should have have had the bike a few days ago but this problem came up. Salesman tells me they are going to make it up to me for all the hassle and delay.......

Says he may be able to get a third year warranty from Can-Am to make up for my time and delay. I figure that is no money out of his pocket but that third year sounds good.

Should I go with the third year or ask for a 15-20% (or more) cut on all future parts and services.

I feel I got a pretty good deal on the bike to start with but they need to pony up even if it wasn't their fault. Factory may or not feel the same way........

Thanks.........John

crazycanuck
06-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Buying a brand new 2018 Spyder RT and all was going well. They pulled it out of the box, set it up and the radio wasn't working. Take apart, check this check that. Seems from the factory (so they say) the radio antenna cable to the radio box was broken/bad.
Salesman tells me they need to replace the harness that will take a few more days getting and replacing. Should have have had the bike a few days ago but this problem came up. Salesman tells me they are going to make it up to me for all the hassle and delay.......

Says he may be able to get a third year warranty from Can-Am to make up for my time and delay. I figure that is no money out of his pocket but that third year sounds good.

Should I go with the third year or ask for a 15-20% (or more) cut on all future parts and services.

I feel I got a pretty good deal on the bike to start with but they need to pony up even if it wasn't their fault. Factory may or not feel the same way........

Thanks.........John

I would go for the additional warranty and try for 2 more years :opps:

Ex-Rocket
06-12-2018, 05:02 PM
If it was me, I'd take the 3 year warranty. With that being a first year for the instrument cluster, I can see problems in the future. That's one of the main reason I bought a 2017 F3L. Just my 2 cents though.

Ride2GetHigh
06-12-2018, 05:14 PM
If it was me, I'd take the 3 year warranty. With that being a first year for the instrument cluster, I can see problems in the future. That's one of the main reason I bought a 2017 F3L. Just my 2 cents though.

I haven't been on the bike yet. This problem came out of the box while setting it up/their road test. They got with Can-Am to find out what was wrong (cable wasn't hooked to the radio) then after another road test they found the antenna cable was bad. Store says it's Can-Am's fault. Moving lips who knows who's lying.........

It's not the dealers fault but they want to make it up to me for all the time/riding lost. Just looking for options.....
Thanks......

Bob Denman
06-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Warranty... nojoke

ekfraz
06-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Warranty for sure !

UtahPete
06-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Buying a brand new 2018 Spyder RT and all was going well. They pulled it out of the box, set it up and the radio wasn't working. Take apart, check this check that. Seems from the factory (so they say) the radio antenna cable to the radio box was broken/bad. Salesman tells me they need to replace the harness that will take a few more days getting and replacing. Should have have had the bike a few days ago but this problem came up. Salesman tells me they are going to make it up to me for all the hassle and delay.......Says he may be able to get a third year warranty from Can-Am to make up for my time and delay. I figure that is no money out of his pocket but that third year sounds good.Should I go with the third year or ask for a 15-20% (or more) cut on all future parts and services. I feel I got a pretty good deal on the bike to start with but they need to pony up even if it wasn't their fault. Factory may or not feel the same way........Thanks.........John
The discount comes directly out of the dealer's pocket. The third year of warranty may or may not. I don't believe in screwing the local dealer unless it's their fault.

ARtraveler
06-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear that there are issues out of the box. I would take the extra year warranty if they can get it. :thumbup:

NDrider
06-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear that there are issues out of the box. I would take the extra year warranty if they can get it. :thumbup:
Warranty for sure

Ride2GetHigh
06-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the input and the suggestions.

I believe IF the dealer can get the extended warranty I'll take it. If Can-Am doesn't want to work with that then I'll be looking for the option of discounts through the dealer. The salesman is sincere about giving me something for my time even though it's not his fault (I still don't know if the person putting the bike together messed it up or not).

The whole thing comes down to what he "wants" to do to help me that doesn't come out of his pocket.

Never know when a lie is coming out till they move the lips...............

Updates when they happen. No film at 11. ha ha.........
John

Brentc
06-12-2018, 06:34 PM
A good relationship with your dealer will pay huge dividends down the road far beyond a discount, in my experience. I’d give that priority in your thought process as well. These are the folks who are going to try and take care of you and your machine for many years to come.

Trbayth
06-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Def the warranty. Discounts as "plan B."

safecracker
06-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Warranty, it is good anywhere in North America

Kiry
06-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Agreed with warranty and if this is where you are thinking of getting service done. Good relationship is important. Particularly during the season as they book up their apts. ;)

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-12-2018, 08:46 PM
I believe IF the dealer can get the extended warranty I'll take it. If Can-Am doesn't want to work with that then I'll be looking for the option of discounts through the dealer.
Oh they can get it, even if they pay for it. Push for a super price on three years of extended warranty, then let them pay 1/3 and you pay 2/3, or maybe even half and half. I'm sure the dealer would much rather be out a known amount of money now and not take a gamble on future costs. Plus warranty repairs probably will cost him only his actual out of pocket cost minus the warranty reimbursement. If he's a great dealer he'll give you a 10% cut off MSRP on anything extra you buy anyway.

Saluda
06-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Warranty.

cptjam
06-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Concur with Pete and Mac. Getting even more is better, even if you pay some. Our warranty paid for itself many times over!!!

robhowen
06-12-2018, 11:14 PM
I say the warranty as it offers protection for the uncontrollable. With parts and service you have control over how much you spend and for what. You may not need the warranty at all, but if you do you'll likely be very pleased that you took that direction. As it's getting later in the model year, you might be able to get more than one additional year.

The best.

jerseyspyder
06-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Get the additional warranty, it's good everywhere unlike the dealer discount.

Gunner3773
06-13-2018, 04:00 PM
I am at the end of the first year of my BEST warranty. Bike is currently at my dealer receiving two headlight assemblies, left side controls (mode, shift, turn signals, etc) and cluster. Lets say that so far, as best as I can estimate, parts alone are north of 2k. Then add labor--my cost $50.00.

Take the one year warranty and pay for an additional two for a total of three after the normal warranty expires.

Gunner

pegasus1300
06-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks.........John

Always take the warranty. Even if you have to kick in something to get it.Discounts can be negotiated later and there are online retailers that will sell at a discount.