PDA

View Full Version : My simple shelf for RTL rear compartment

teninospyder
06-11-2018, 12:02 PM
I've had this for a few years now, and decided maybe someone else would like to make it also. Not complicated at all, but works for us while out riding and not wanting to hold everything in pockets or lose it in the bigger compartment spaces. Others have addressed this issue I'm sure - this is just "my way". I used a piece of 1/4" pegboard I had laying around, but many things would work I'm sure. I've included JPG sketches (2) that you can use to make 1 complete template for each half, but I caution all...….make sure you check your printout for correct overall sizes as I note on the sketches.
You can scale JPG up or down if needed in Excel, but I couldn't find ANY program I have that would print the JPGs at PERFECT SIZE the first time. So much for 100% sized copies of things from printers :banghead:

FYI - Part of my reason for making the shelf this way is because I can put it in or take it out easily in 2 pieces, without fighting the compartment sidewalls, etc. Oh BTW, the underside (which is usually UP in ours) is covered with household rubber shelf lining matl. so things don't move around much. Also, the forward lip sits on top of the "dinner plate" Velcro area BRP installed, and the rear edge sits just inside the lid closing ridge. :ohyea:

Any questions, please just let me know. 162270162275162272162273162274

UtahPete
06-11-2018, 12:14 PM
I've had this for a few years now, and decided maybe someone else would like to make it also. Not complicated at all, but works for us while out riding and not wanting to hold everything in pockets or lose it in the bigger compartment spaces. Others have addressed this issue I'm sure - this is just "my way". I used a piece of 1/4" pegboard I had laying around, but many things would work I'm sure. I've included JPG sketches (2) that you can use to make 1 complete template for each half, but I caution all...….make sure you check your printout for correct overall sizes as I note on the sketches.
You can scale JPG up or down if needed in Excel, but I couldn't find ANY program I have that would print the JPGs at PERFECT SIZE the first time. So much for 100% sized copies of things from printers
:banghead:

FYI - Part of my reason for making the shelf this way is because I can put it in or take it out easily in 2 pieces, without fighting the compartment sidewalls, etc.
Oh BTW, the underside (which is usually UP in ours) is covered with household rubber shelf lining matl. so things don't move around much. Also, the forward lip sits on top of the "dinner plate" Velcro area BRP installed, and the rear edge sits just inside the lid closing ridge. :ohyea:

Any questions, please just let me know. 162270162275162272162273162274
Nice solution!

BoilerAnimal
06-11-2018, 12:24 PM
I'm going to do that! Nice idea, thanks!!!

CA-SPYDR
06-11-2018, 12:41 PM
well done with this one! Now I want one :)

Chupaca
06-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Is a nice solution and the little holes let the old gym sox in the bottom breath...:roflblack: like that you can open just half rather than take out all the upper stuff to get to the bottom...congrats I'm sure it has served you well...love the DIY stuff...:2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-11-2018, 02:28 PM
" DIY'ers "- ROCK ...I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it :clap::clap::clap: .... I've DIY'ed so many things on my RT I have to keep a list because I can't remember them all when asked :banghead: ..... Soooooooo I think I have to make one :yes::yes::yes::yes: ...... Thanks , .. Mike :thumbup:

slick999
06-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Nice job,now thats on my list for things to do,thanks.,