PDA

View Full Version : Does a atone have Volo Lights installed on their RT?

CA-SPYDR
06-09-2018, 10:41 AM
I would like to install their license plate frame because I tend to slow down with my engine a lot. However, I’m not sure how to connect it to power exactly.

If you have it installed, can you please share some instructions on the hookup? I think it should be hooked up to the license plate light?

thank you!

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 10:47 AM
I would like to install their license plate frame because I tend to slow down with my engine a lot. However, I’m not sure how to connect it to power exactly. If you have it installed, can you please share some instructions on the hookup? I think it should be hooked up to the license plate light? thank you!
What do the instructions say?

CA-SPYDR
06-09-2018, 10:57 AM
What do the instructions say?
It says the following:

Connect to a 12V source using the posi-tap connector provided.

If you're not familiar with posi-tap connector, please see the detailed posi-tap instructions (https://install.vololights.com/Guide/Posi-tap+connectors/22)

It is generally easier to connect the grey connector before the red connector.

Your license plate illumination is generally the most accessible 12V source.

the problem is that I don’t know how to connect the wires into the RT. How to make sure I don’t short circuit anything, how do I make sure the license plate light on the RT keeps working after I connect the Vololights to it.

Any help you can provide will be welcome!

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 11:31 AM
It says the following:

the problem is that I don’t know how to connect the wires into the RT. How to make sure I don’t short circuit anything, how do I make sure the license plate light on the RT keeps working after I connect the Vololights to it. Any help you can provide will be welcome!

Have you ever done electrical work on a vehicle before? Do you know how 12vdc systems work? I only ask because it's helpful to know your level of competence when trying to give you instructions.

You will need to know the difference between the positive and negative wires in the bike because you will connect the volo wires into those using the correct polarity. The posi-taps make it very easy because there is no cutting and splicing involved.

The greatest obstacle is going to be accessing the license plate wires. Ann Meyer will help you with that.

Don't worry about hurting the bike's electrical systems. Just take it a step at a time, make sure you have the right polarity and everything will be fine.

SpyderAnn01
06-09-2018, 11:33 AM
It says the following:

If you're not familiar with posi-tap connector, please see the detailed posi-tap instructions (https://install.vololights.com/Guide/Posi-tap+connectors/22)

It is generally easier to connect the grey connector before the red connector.

the problem is that I don’t know how to connect the wires into the RT. How to make sure I don’t short circuit anything, how do I make sure the license plate light on the RT keeps working after I connect the Vololights to it.

Any help you can provide will be welcome!

You will need to remove the back panel to get access to the license plate light. Do you know how to do that? There are videos on how to remove the body panels. You'll just need a flat tip screw driver and a Torx 30. When you have the back panel off, there are 3 small Torx 30 screws that hold the black plastic piece on, remove those and you will have access to the light.

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 05:09 PM
https://install.vololights.com/Guide/How+to+install+Vololights/1?lang=en

Do you have the license plate frame version, or just the module? The module (which uses the OEM brake lights) is a lot more complicated to install and may not work at all with the CamBus.

trikermutha
06-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Or get a Splitter connector and you dont have to slice or use posi taps.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/SpyderOEMStyleElectrical2and5PinSocketConnectors.a spx

Use the two extra wires for Power.

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Or get a Splitter connector and you dont have to slice or use posi taps.
The kit comes with posi-taps.

trikermutha
06-09-2018, 06:25 PM
The kit comes with posi-taps.

Yeah but if you dont want to posi tap the stock harness buy the splitter and tap into that. :thumbup:

I did that on all my lighting on the Spyder.

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Yeah but if you dont want to posi tap the stock harness buy the splitter and tap into that. :thumbup: I did that on all my lighting on the Spyder.
I agree, but I think the OP might be overwhelmed by that. Hope we hear from them before long.

CA-SPYDR
06-09-2018, 06:30 PM
https://install.vololights.com/Guide/How+to+install+Vololights/1?lang=en

Do you have the license plate frame version, or just the module? The module (which uses the OEM brake lights) is a lot more complicated to install and may not work at all with the CamBus.

The license plate one. And zero experience - this will be an adventure!

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 06:33 PM
The license plate one. And zero experience - this will be an adventure!
We're with you all the way. :thumbup:

CA-SPYDR
06-09-2018, 06:34 PM
I think the plan should be:

1) open back panel - look up youtube videos on how to do that
2) figure out which wires I should tap into
3) look up video on how to use the posi tap connector
4) connect vololights
5) pray it works

For #2 - is there a diagram/video you guys are aware of that can show me the right wires?

did I miss anything?

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 06:36 PM
I think the plan should be:

1) open back panel - look up youtube videos on how to do that
2) figure out which wires I should tap into
3) look up video on how to use the posi tap connector
4) connect vololights
5) pray it works

For #2 - is there a diagram/video you guys are aware of that can show me the right wires?

did I miss anything?

Just trace the wires from the license plate. No diagram needed.

Sounds like a good plan.

CA-SPYDR
06-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Just trace the wires from the license plate. No diagram needed.

Sounds like a good plan.

keep your fingers crossed, I’ll do it next weekend and post pics.

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 06:41 PM
keep your fingers crossed, I’ll do it next weekend and post pics.
Where are you in CA? There may be some experts close by.

CA-SPYDR
06-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Where are you in CA? There may be some experts close by.

Thanks, UtahPete! I’m near San Francisco, but I really want to try myself first. Can’t go on being a helpless damsel in distress forever ;-)

UtahPete
06-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Thanks, UtahPete! I’m near San Francisco, but I really want to try myself first. Can’t go on being a helpless damsel in distress forever ;-)
I like your spirit!

trikermutha
06-09-2018, 08:43 PM
You have a cheap volt meter? You would be able to tell which is positive and negative by checking the voltage.

cptjam
06-11-2018, 01:50 AM
I’ll do it for you tomorrow! I’m in Redding having a seat made. Ride up, I’ll put it on. Tuesday we are off to Washington for the NW PAC rally. Joe

CA-SPYDR
06-11-2018, 07:03 PM
I’ll do it for you tomorrow! I’m in Redding having a seat made. Ride up, I’ll put it on. Tuesday we are off to Washington for the NW PAC rally. Joe

I decided I'm tackling it by myself, and it literally took 10 minutes to install, no panel removed!
I unscrewed the two screws holding the license plate light, pulled out the wires, connected red to red and black to black using the posi-tap connectors provided with the Vololights, calibrated it and it works like a charm. the lights flash when you are slowing down for whatever reason - breaking, downshifting, rolling back on the throttle...

I feel so accomplished - this is my first wiring job on my motorcycle ever!

cptjam
06-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Nice job!

UtahPete
06-11-2018, 07:07 PM
I decided I'm tackling it by myself, and it literally took 10 minutes to install, no panel removed!
I unscrewed the two screws holding the license plate light, pulled out the wires, connected red to red and black to black using the posi-tap connectors provided with the Vololights, calibrated it and it works like a charm. the lights flash when you are slowing down for whatever reason - breaking, downshifting, rolling back on the throttle...

Congratulations! That makes so much sense!

CA-SPYDR
06-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Congratulations! That makes so much sense!

If it wasn't for your encouragement I'm not sure I would have done it :)

UtahPete
06-11-2018, 07:12 PM
If it wasn't for your encouragement I'm not sure I would have done it :)
Now you're unstoppable. (Fellow red-head ... you don't happen to be left-handed too, do you?)

CA-SPYDR
06-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Now you're unstoppable. (Fellow red-head ... you don't happen to be left-handed too, do you?)
But right handed :-)

trikermutha
06-12-2018, 03:41 AM
I would suggest you seal around those posi taps. Liquid electic tape or RTV should do it.

UtahPete
06-12-2018, 11:20 AM
I would suggest you seal around those posi taps. Liquid electic tape or RTV should do it.
Silicone caulk works and is readily available at any hardware store.

Geep
11-13-2018, 07:05 PM

So which of the three settings did you use? I find myself not using the brakes in residential areas, just letting the transmission slow the bike to a near stop

Al_lockup
12-23-2018, 01:40 PM

I thinking of getting one.. how is It holding up?

Thanks.. Alan

Flamewinger
12-24-2018, 01:42 PM

Overkill. Not necessary as the connectors separate the wiring and any water won't do harm. Been using Positivities-taps for years and never a problem. They do make waterproof connectors for marine use.

d.o.spyder-rts
12-24-2018, 03:25 PM
:congrats: Dale

Al_lockup
12-28-2018, 07:01 PM
I contacted Vololights about my 2017 RTL,
And this war the reply..

HI alan,

The current version of the vololights is not too Can Am friendly. It works but it looses calibration every time the bike is turn off and back on.

The new version of the vololights is about to come out and it doesnt have this problem anymore, it also has running lights; but it will be available in a few weeks. If you are planning on getting one, i would reccomend that you wait a few weeks to get the new improved version.
We could add you to our mailing list and let you know once it is available.

Regards.

Geep
04-11-2019, 12:23 PM
I contacted Vololights about my 2017 RTL,
And this war the reply..

HI alan,

The current version of the vololights is not too Can Am friendly. It works but it looses calibration every time the bike is turn off and back on.

The new version of the vololights is about to come out and it doesnt have this problem anymore, it also has running lights; but it will be available in a few weeks. If you are planning on getting one, i would reccomend that you wait a few weeks to get the new improved version.
We could add you to our mailing list and let you know once it is available.

Regards.

Sadly still awaiting