PDA

View Full Version : Deer vs SPyder RT Limited

Biscuit
06-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Going to work yesterday I hit a deer at 50 mph. This is my first Spyder, and have heard how this isn't a real motorcycle. Well I have owned all major brands, but none of them would have kept me off the ground like my Spyder. I ended up with some muscle strain on the right side of my back and that is it. Had I been on my Gold Wing I would have gone to ground and gotten a ride to the hospital. I kept it between the ditches and drove it home.
To clarify I have been riding motorcycles for 47 plus years and currently ride every day. I always am cautious looking for deer and other critters. I never saw the deer until I hit it. Brakes were used after I hit the deer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-07-2018, 05:50 PM
​WOW !!!! ....You were one lucky Dude ..... and all things considered the Spyder did quite well :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bensonoid
06-07-2018, 05:50 PM
A buddy of mine hit three and killed 2 of them and rode 50 miles home. Glad to hear you're OK.

ARtraveler
06-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Hit a big dog at 55 plus on the 2014, it flew up and over the windshield after getting hit by the front end. I was able to drive the spyder home. It did about $2,200 damage. They did a good repair job. Never had any issues after the repair.

The dog died. It came out of the ditch unexpected. An oncoming truck prevented me from playing dodgeball. It all happened very fast. The truckdriver did not stop. Neither did anyone else. I had to pull the dog out of the middle of the road and to the side so it would not get hit again or cause another accident.

pegasus1300
06-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Had similar damage last summer when I hit a dog. I also would have been down if I had been on a 2wheeler. I have been riding 50+ years. I was on a trip to Boulder Co. Went back home took the fender off and continued on the trip. Glad you are ok.

Pirate looks at --
06-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Going to work yesterday I hit a deer at 50 mph. This is my first Spyder, and have heard how this isn't a real motorcycle. Well I have owned all major brands, but none of them would have kept me off the ground like my Spyder. I ended up with some muscle strain on the right side of my back and that is it. Had I been on my Gold Wing I would have gone to ground and gotten a ride to the hospital. I kept it between the ditches and drove it home.
To clarify I have been riding motorcycles for 47 plus years and currently ride every day. I always am cautious looking for deer and other critters. I never saw the deer until I hit it. Brakes were used after I hit the deer.

Glad you are OK! The Spyder made out well too!

Chasinsparks
06-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Now that we know you are ok. One important question must be answer any meat for the grill?

Biscuit
06-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Now that we know you are ok. One important question must be answer any meat for the grill?

No the last time I saw the deer it was heading in a vertical direction.

Big F
06-07-2018, 09:43 PM

Just learned this evening, a member of our riding club, NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders), just hit his 2nd deer in a year. He was OK but the Spyder had over $4,500 damage.
BIG F

NDrider
06-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Dang glad you’re doing .ok. I have had a lot of close calls but no strikes. I just sold my wing and switched to a F3. I am glad I made the switch.

Dudley
06-07-2018, 11:33 PM
Anytime you can walk away from an accident it was a good accident, no matter how bad. This was mine on 10-19-2017.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...56#post1312556 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?109089-Need-to-be-careful-out-there&p=1312556#post1312556)

d.o.spyder-rts
06-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Glad to hear you made out ok. Dale

BoilerAnimal
06-08-2018, 02:01 AM
Luckily, the only thing I've hit is two birds.

RinconRyder
06-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Good thing you ride in White Tail Country. Out here we have Mule Deer which can be the size of a cow.

Bob Denman
06-08-2018, 12:51 PM
:shocked: Dude...

Glad to hear that you and your Spyder are gonna be okay! :thumbup:

Just don't scare us all like this again!

Docster
06-08-2018, 04:26 PM
More likely a ride to the morgue if on the Goldwing

This data reflects nationwide trends with 2-wheelers. Go buy a lottery ticket!!

"The Wisconsin DOT site devoted to the deer problem (http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/crashfacts/docs/deerfacts.pdf) says that while only 2% of car-deer collisions were fatal to humans, 84.9% of the motorcycle-deer crashes involved human fatalities. (This percentage has increased in recent years.)"

Biscuit
07-26-2018, 06:43 PM
Well it has been seven weeks yesterday that I hit the deer.
I picked up the bike this morning all fixed and ready to ride.
Road some today and glad to have it back.
I was also able to ride my Spyder to an MRI appointment.
A few weeks after the accident I went to pick up a bottle of wine for my Mother-In-Law.
My right shoulder just wouldn't work.
I have seen an orthopedic surgeon that is why the MRI today.
Looks like a torn rotator cuff from hitting the deer.

Still feel blessed to have been on my Spyder and not my Gold Wing.

Rod