PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Ends – The Adventure Begins

dondje
06-05-2018, 01:58 PM
162076Finally got a 2017 F3-T over the weekend. It was a dealer demo with 230 miles on it. They couldn’t sell it until it had 501. So it had to put in some demo time with the owner on Friday. It had also been sitting in a warehouse over the winter, so they changed the oil/filter, put in a new battery, and checked things over.

I had been thinking I wanted a Can-Am Spyder for several years. I knew the time was coming when I would need to revert back to my early childhood, before I got my first 2 wheel motorcycle@7yo and my first bicycle@4yo. Yes, all the way back to that first tricycle@about 1.5yo – still in diapers.

Injuring my knees during a close encounter with some stairs last year made it even clearer that I was never going to be flying on the 2 wheeled wings of gold again. I also decided that I didn’t want to do a conversion. So my journey in search of a Spyder began.

I started lurking on the forums, checking out the BRP web site, watching all the YouTube videos. Then 1 day last February I was thinking that I hadn’t even sat on one of these. How do I know if I will like it? So I went to my local dealer with snow still on the ground, and sat on a RT-LTD & a F3-LTD. It didn’t take me 10min to realize that I could never be comfortable on the RT. Knees were aching, and legs just too scrunched. I am about 6’2” with a 35” inseam. I sat on the F3 for 30 minutes and it was as comfortable as can be. So that experience narrowed my search.

In March I discovered a Can-Am sponsored riding school was taking place mid-April in Richland, WA. Two days and $75.00 and they were supplying 2018 Spyders. And if you successfully pass, you get your WA. State 3 wheel endorsement. I signed right up. Then my daughter brought home the flue for spring break and decided to share the love. I decided not to share the love with those in Richland and had to cancel. Dusty, the owner of the motorcycle driving school calls me back a couple of weeks later, they had a cancellation and he invites me to take the mid-May session!!!

The driving school was great. Emergency stops, weaving cones, emergency avoidance swerving, drifting the corners, all sorts of technique that you could never get away with on a demo ride. I road an F3 the whole time. I did get on an RT the second day, but it was so uncomfortable for me, I didn’t even ride it. I passed both the driving and written test so I got the endorsement.

So I knew I wanted a 2017 F3-T. No LTD, as I didn’t want the top case, hate the wheel style, and planned to add aftermarket “Ultimate F3 Floorboards.” I also wanted Satin Black. I contacted all 5 dealers in the PNW that had what I wanted. I ended up buying this demo because of the great deal, and it left me with an extra $2k to spend on accessories that will be delivered shortly. I flew down to Portland on Saturday morning and drove it home.

That’s my story and I am sticking to it. Now the new adventure in fun has begun!

Regards,

Don

BTW: Looking for that one special "SpyderBabe" to ride or drive along:rolleyes:

ARtraveler
06-05-2018, 02:09 PM
:congrats:

johnsimion
06-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Congrats on your new ride. I read your post with great interest because I am also tall, 6'-4" with a 35" inseam. It is good that you found something you like, something that fits you well, something that you're comfortable on. Your post does, however, go to show once more how individual taste and preference can be. I also test-sat the F3 and RT several times and I personally liked the riding position of the RT much better, plus the F3 (for me) has a little ridge right where my knees were and I felt like that would become very uncomfortable in a short time, whereas I didn't have that problem with the RT. I respectfully submit that we both made the right choices for ourselves. Again, congrats and safe riding.

Kiry
06-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Congrats!!! Nice color! I think the black is just lovely. Enjoy the ride!!! :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
06-05-2018, 03:11 PM
:congrats::welcome:

LeftCoast
06-05-2018, 03:14 PM
From one new owner to another welcome to team Spyder:yes:

Flanker
06-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Nice!

DO A BURNOUT!!!!! :joke:

safecracker
06-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy....

dondje
06-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Your post does, however, go to show once more how individual taste and preference can be.

John...

Variety (and riding) is the spice of life!

My problem is that my knees can’t take the bending for very long. They handle stretching out just fine. I have the same problem on the F3 with the ridge at the knee with the stock #3 UFit position for the foot pegs. I opted for position #4. This straightened my knees some to make it even more comfortable and it moved them just below the ridge. However, after my 400mi road trip last weekend, I am going to try position #5. I think that, with the running boards will give plenty of options to stretch out and move around.

I was very disappointed that I could not fit the RT. I like the look, especially the nose, much more than the F3. However, it’s just like my favorite what I consider a reasonably affordable sports car - an Audi TT Quattro. For years I really wanted one. Gathered the money and went for a test ride, only to discover it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever driven.

Regards,

Don

MNBK
06-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Don - I am 6'2" and have a 34 inseam. I put my floorboards at the #5 position and then added some Lamonster road pegs. I have also had 9 knee operations (one being a total right knee replacement). With the boards in that position and the road pegs I can go all day. My wife just went from a 2010 RTS to a 2017 F3L and has her boards in the #3 position. Our son sat on them both this weekend (he's 6'5" and 36 inseam) and said that he could probably ride all day with the boards in the #5 position.

Just some additional info for you to peruse.

Chupaca
06-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Does help with a lot of issues.... and way funner to ryde. I only wish I had seen one before 2012..You did find a nice one..:clap::2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Don there is a rally next week in Lake Pateros it woukd be a good opportunity for you to meet some other riders. If you’re on Facebookchrck out the PAC NW Spyder Fest page for information

Deanna777
06-05-2018, 07:41 PM
:welcome: & :congrats:

Deanna