PDA

View Full Version : 2017 RT S6 starting question

Marr
06-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and traded 2011 for new 2017. I love the automatic, and no right foot heat. When I bought it, the salesman took me back to meet the maintenance guy. I was asking him about shifting, and other things, and the one thing he told me twice, was to never shut off engine with transmission in gear. He said if I did, I would more than likely have to have it brought in so they could start it, because it screws something up. I looked in owners manual, and all I could find was if you do, push on brake pedal, and it would start. Will it mess anything up if I accidentally did leave it in gear and turn it off. Thanks

ARtraveler
06-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and traded 2011 for new 2017. I love the automatic, and no right foot heat. When I bought it, the salesman took me back to meet the maintenance guy. I was asking him about shifting, and other things, and the one thing he told me twice, was to never shut off engine with transmission in gear. He said if I did, I would more than likely have to have it brought in so they could start it, because it screws something up. I looked in owners manual, and all I could find was if you do, push on brake pedal, and it would start. Will it mess anything up if I accidentally did leave it in gear and turn it off. Thanks

Stepping on the brake while starting is supposed to make the spyder shift to neutral. The mechanic is wrong this time.

JayBros
06-04-2018, 10:01 PM
There isn't a Christmas goose that's more full of :cus: than that technician!

Chupaca
06-04-2018, 11:39 PM
Was he a certified trained BRP mechanic..? O oops technician, sounds like a higher class mechanic...:roflblack: they should all have to read the owners manual cover to cover before advising customers . Relax, if you should happen to do it no problem starting back up. Most make it a habit to step on the brakes when starting anyway just in case it is in gear...:thumbup:

4 MARIE
06-04-2018, 11:42 PM
I like to shift into neutral before shutdown, so I can start up without having my foot on the brake pedal.

If I forget to finds neutral, it is no big deal. Relax and enjoy your ryde.

billybovine
06-05-2018, 08:07 AM
From page 55 of the 2017 RT owners manual.

It is a common misconception that the Spyder has to be in neutral to start. As the manual states. Your Spyder will start in any gear.

Another myth is that by pressing on the brake pedal somehow makes the Spyder change to neutral. Your manual states that it will change to neutral when the engine starts.

When starting your Spyder in neutral. You can skip step 1.

stmike 1800
06-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Are you sure you want this guy doing your service.:yikes: