PDA

View Full Version : Block Off Plate ?

Fire34
05-31-2018, 02:51 AM
Everyone
We have a 2013 RTL thinking of getting one of these. Just wondering if/when it is installed what will it do as far as the heat work that as already been done. Yes it will stop my right foot/leg from toasting but will it restrict any cooling etc. Thanks Guys

Dave

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-31-2018, 11:06 PM
Here's what I did on the 2013 RT I had. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69303-My-upper-heat-block-mod&highlight=block+plate

You do need to open up the plastic behind the radiator so the air has somewhere to go. I blocked off the upper hole because that's the one that cooked my foot when I had it up on the foot peg.

Buckeye Bleau
06-01-2018, 04:49 AM
I did a similar operation to mine, though without the grill, that is a nice touch.

I used a hole saw and cut MANY holes on the plastic below the fan and behind it as well. I cut holes everywhere that I could get the saw, it is truly a Swiss cheese looking piece now.

WARNING: when you do this, be very careful about what is behind the hole you are drilling. There are radiator hoses and such that may or could develop an unfortunate encounter. (So I have heard)

Dont worry about how it looks or concerns of spacing or structural integrity with this part, it is all covered up. Just let it breathe!

Joe

DGoebel
06-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Fire34, You can get that 2014 RT Right side grill and lower block off plate for about $21.00 (Part #705004803 Right Side vent) (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157199&d=1516630768), minor adjustment and it fits right in. I did it as one of my first mods to my '13 RTL based on Rob's Mods and Farkles thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?70861-Rob-s-Mods-amp-Farkles&p=1173019&viewfull=1#post1173019)from years ago. And as others have stated above, after ventilating the radiator outflow area with hole saws or I used a dremel (which likely took a lot longer) pop the BRP part in and if you use highway pegs you definitely want to block the back of the upper grill to force all the hot air down and out.

Arion
06-01-2018, 09:44 PM
I did a similar operation to mine, though without the grill, that is a nice touch.

I used a hole saw and cut MANY holes on the plastic below the fan and behind it as well. I cut holes everywhere that I could get the saw, it is truly a Swiss cheese looking piece now.

WARNING: when you do this, be very careful about what is behind the hole you are drilling. There are radiator hoses and such that may or could develop an unfortunate encounter. (So I have heard)

Dont worry about how it looks or concerns of spacing or structural integrity with this part, it is all covered up. Just let it breathe!

Joe

Did the same thing with my wife's 2012 RT Limited and the results are good. She rode it from San Antonio to Tucson and Bisbee, Arizona and back this past march and didn't complain about heat at all (and the temps throughout the trip were in the 70s and 80s).