PDA

View Full Version : New Spyderlover looking for advice

Garydj
05-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Hello all! I'm desiring to purchase a Spryder. I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and while I like it, I'm starting to consider a Spyder to keep me safe. I'm 67 and starting to feel uncertain when at stops and in slow turns. I do plan to be riding for many years yet, but want to be safe.

Since I am retired, my budget is somewhat restricted. There is a 2012 RT with 11,000 miles for $13,999 at a dealer near by. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, but I am wondering this is a good buy or if I would be better served to buy a new low-end F3. I like to travel, so the RT appeals for that reason, but I am not sure if I should be concerned with the age of a 2012 model. I am 6' and 250 lb with some lower back issues. I will be sitting on both and getting a test ride if possible.

Thoughts?

Gary

trikermutha
05-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Have you seen any 2014 on up in your price range yet?

Have you test driven any Spyders yet?

Garydj
05-30-2018, 11:09 AM

I have not seen any 2014 for sale and have not ridden any models yet.

bhern
05-30-2018, 11:13 AM

To expand on the first question above, in 2014, BRP introduced a new, larger engine to their models and if I can be so bold as to distill a point of view, the *general* opinion is that the 1330 (2014+) is an improvement from an overall ownership experience standpoint over the 998 (2013 and prior). $0.02.

I would also answer with another question: are you someone who really enjoys tinkering with your bike or are you someone like me who is basically the poster child for the MCDA (Mechanically Challenged Doofuses of America)?

Flanker
05-30-2018, 11:17 AM
I have not seen any 2014 for sale and have not ridden any models yet.

You can use Cycletrader.com or a similar internet buy/sell site to do a search on the model type and year of Spyder you're considering. The search parameters usually ask for your zip code and a search radius distance in miles. The search results will give you an idea of what's out there in your region, and how prices vs features are running. That should give you an idea of whether your dealer's asking price on that RT is in the ball park or not. Good luck!

@bhern MCDA....................:D Good one!

mark4Jesus
05-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Test ride the different models first, then start looking. I am 6'2" and the RTL is close to the limits for my leg length. Also, the leg position is different for the RT's and F3's, so that may make a big difference in comfort for your back.

DGoebel
05-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Hello all! I'm desiring to purchase a Spryder. I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and while I like it, I'm starting to consider a Spyder to keep me safe. I'm 67 and starting to feel uncertain when at stops and in slow turns. I do plan to be riding for many years yet, but want to be safe.

Since I am retired, my budget is somewhat restricted. There is a 2012 RT with 11,000 miles for $13,999 at a dealer near by. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, but I am wondering this is a good buy or if I would be better served to buy a new low-end F3. I like to travel, so the RT appeals for that reason, but I am not sure if I should be concerned with the age of a 2012 model. I am 6' and 250 lb with some lower back issues. I will be sitting on both and getting a test ride if possible.

Thoughts?

Gary
Gary, I'm only 60 and did exactly what you're considered. Best Bike I've ever rode (at 50+). And I tried both F3's and RT's, we bought an RT. Definitely get the bike that you feel most comfortable on. My wife wouldn't ride with me anymore on the old bikes, but she loves the seating position and security the RT gives her. We just finished a 3 day ride in 100 degree plus temps and staying hydrated was our only concern, we rode over 750 miles and loved our '13 RT. I have a good friend that has a '12 RT and we've done an Iron Butt Ride last July 5 with a couple more planned for this year (one of them down to Olathe and back). $13,999 sounds high for a '12 even with those miles. Check it out as others have said. I went through 5 different possibilities before getting the deal on our '13.

Blue Star
05-30-2018, 11:44 AM

Thoughts?

Gary

The 2012 year RT was the best of the 998 engine models, but as others have said. If you can find a 14 or newer that would be better.

Kiry
05-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Definitely try to get a test ride, both have such different feels to them. That whole To-mato /tom-ato comparison comes into play.

SpyderAnn01
05-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Welcome! That sounds a bit high for the 12 RT, keep searching but definitely test drive both the RT and F3. And if you test ride a newer RT with the 1330 keep in mind that the older model will be a very different machine.

Garydj
05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have checked Cycle Trader and not found much in my area. I might add that The 2012 RT blue books for $14,100 and it is an automatic which I would prefer. There are two later model Spyders on the Missouri side, but both are manual. I will probably take a look at them also, but for sales tax reasons I would rather buy in Kansas.

To Bhearn: I don't want to tinker with the Spyder much due to all the plastic and that may be a consideration for buying a new or newer model.

PrairieSpyder
05-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Thoughts?

Gary

You had asked about the dealer in Topeka. There's also Reno's in Kansas City, just east of Olathe. There's also an active Kansas City Spyder group. I hope some of them will chime in and give you better info about local choices.

ndspyderlover
05-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have checked Cycle Trader and not found much in my area. I might add that The 2012 RT blue books for $14,100 and it is an automatic which I would prefer. There are two later model Spyders on the Missouri side, but both are manual. I will probably take a look at them also, but for sales tax reasons I would rather buy in Kansas.

To Bhearn: I don't want to tinker with the Spyder much due to all the plastic and that may be a consideration for buying a new or newer model.You wii pay the sales tax in your state no matter where you buy it. Might want to try Wengers,s. they are a sponsor on this sight.

ARtraveler
05-30-2018, 12:58 PM
The 2012 for $14K is a bit high. The 2012 is considered the "best" of the 998's.

I have a like new 2011 for sale for $11K. Good enough to fly and drive back home. My ad is attached.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?87111-2011-RT-A-amp-C-SE5

JayBros
05-30-2018, 01:24 PM
I heartily agree with the others who have said to test ride all three types of Spyders, 2012 RT, 2014 & newer RT and F3. I cannot comment on the 2012 and defer to those who say it is the best of the V-twin RTs. Nevertheless, you should recognize that the 2014 and newer RTs and F3s are entirely new animals with many valuable features: more low end torque, six speed transmission, reduced maintenance costs due to longer oil and filter change intervals and hydraulic valve lifters so there's no valve adjustment, better gas mileage, Brembo brake systems, zero oil consumption. There are some good 2014 RTs out there for sale. Traveling to pick up one might be worth the cost; only you can decide.

RinconRyder
05-30-2018, 03:20 PM
You wii pay the sales tax in your state no matter where you buy it. Might want to try Wengers,s. they are a sponsor on this sight.

I don't want to start a tax debate but would like to make a clarification (and I know you are talking about buying from a dealer):

My state does not charge sales tax on a private citizen to private citizen transaction. If you buy from a dealer (in or out of state) or the seller has a commercial sales license then you pay the tax (but you get credit if you have to pay taxes to another jurisdiction).

Many other states have this same setup.

Garydj
05-30-2018, 04:31 PM
I don't want to start a tax debate but would like to make a clarification (and I know you are talking about buying from a dealer):

My state does not charge sales tax on a private citizen to private citizen transaction. If you buy from a dealer (in or out of state) or the seller has a commercial sales license then you pay the tax (but you get credit if you have to pay taxes to another jurisdiction).

If I buy from a Kansas dealer, I can include the Sales tax in any loan I take out. If I purchase from an individual or an out of state dealer, then my County DMV will require me to pay the tax when I register. I suppose I could withhold enough of my down payment to cover the tax if I buy out of state. I will need to trade my current Burgman in to be able to afford the Spyder which means I really need to purchase from a dealer.

PrairieSpyder
05-30-2018, 04:50 PM

I'd never known that. In Kansas, no matter who you buy from, you pay the sales tax when you register the vehicle at your county office.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2018, 04:53 PM
I have yet to see any Spyder sell for anywhere near the prices that the above CLAIM is their Value..... and the prices they quote are for STOCK - no mods bikes ...... I have to yet see a Stock Spyder either .................. jmho ..... Mike :thumbup:

kamper
05-30-2018, 04:57 PM
TEST DRIVE. If the bike doesn't fit you the price doesn't matter. You will know if it's right and go for it.

al0vely
05-30-2018, 05:36 PM

Thoughts?

Gary

Be patient and you will find a better deal.
I purchased a 2014 RTS from this website in March for $11k with 10k miles and it was less than 100 miles from me.

trikermutha
05-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Check with Imotorsports. May have something in your price range and they deliver

Garydj
05-30-2018, 08:14 PM
Check with Imotorsports. May have something in your price range and they deliver

They do have one 2015 F3 S automatic for $14,999. I'll keep them in mind. A local KC dealer has a similar model in manual for $1000 less. I'll probably start there and see how it is. I'm not totally against a manual, but this Burgman automatic sure has spoiled me!

The free shipping would not work if I am trading I would guess.

Ex-Rocket
05-30-2018, 08:30 PM
iMotorsports will deliver your bike and pick up your trade. I have bought 2 new bikes from them and each time I had a trade-in.

trikermutha
05-30-2018, 09:40 PM
They do have one 2015 F3 S automatic for $14,999. I'll keep them in mind. A local KC dealer has a similar model in manual for $1000 less. I'll probably start there and see how it is. I'm not totally against a manual, but this Burgman automatic sure has spoiled me!

The free shipping would not work if I am trading I would guess.

Contact them they would take you trade too.

The semi auto is sweet!

Cant hurt to talk to them to..

Good Luck!

PrairieSpyder
05-31-2018, 07:52 AM
:agree: the semi-auto is the way to go, but I know there are folks that will only get the manual.

Beaudog
05-31-2018, 10:33 AM
I am 76 also my wife and i have a 2014 ST Limited 998 engine and a 2017 RTS 1330 engine. The three cylinder is much easier to ride and the RT is just all round a more comfortable machine to ride.

I guarantee you will be happier with a newer machine with the 1330 engine and probably find the RT a lot more comfortable.

Terraplane8Bob
09-26-2020, 08:03 PM
Surprisingly, I found a 2011 RS-S on FaceBookMarketplace with 14k on the odometer ! It turned out to have as many accessories added to it as I paid for the Spyder itself. The previous owner was an accessory-oholic ! It was from a dealer and very well-priced ! it turned out well for me ---- good luck !

Mikey
09-27-2020, 05:28 AM
Surprisingly, I found a 2011 RS-S on FaceBookMarketplace with 14k on the odometer ! It turned out to have as many accessories added to it as I paid for the Spyder itself. The previous owner was an accessory-oholic ! It was from a dealer and very well-priced ! it turned out well for me ---- good luck !

This post started in 2018!!:yikes:

Peter Aawen
09-27-2020, 06:17 AM
This THREAD started in 2018!!:yikes:

Fixed it for you Mikey, your post in this thread was only just over an hour ago! :thumbup:

:roflblack: . :shemademe_smilie: . :dg1: . :ohyea:

Mikey
09-27-2020, 06:27 AM
Fixed it for you Mikey, your post in this thread was only just over an hour ago! :thumbup:

:roflblack: . :shemademe_smilie: . :dg1: . :ohyea:

Thanks Pete!!!:joke: You know it's old THREADS like this that could be cleaned out after a while I would think!!:gaah: I know, you can't!!!:coffee:

Peter Aawen
09-27-2020, 06:53 AM
But the wonderful thing about Forums (as opposed to faceache & the like) is that unlike many other modern 'social media sites' (you get the drift... ) they actually KEEP this vast database of collected community knowledge and experience; and even if the search engine here isn't exactly 'state of the art', all this collected info is retrievable and shared with the broader community for them to browse upon and learn from well into the forseeable future!! :ohyea:

Seriously, it's the people that shared their knowledge and experience in these old threads that makes this place as helpful as it is!! nojoke . Without them and these old threads..... :dontknow:

bikerbillone
09-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Oh how I do not like FB, but that's just me. No offense to those that do.

Deanna777
09-27-2020, 04:41 PM

Thoughts?

Gary

Gary,
Welcome to this site!

I had a 2012 RTS-SE5 , it had the 998 engine. It was a great machine. I would have to shift up/or down at the higher RPM. The 2012 had a 800 w alternator. It had to be plugged-in on a battery tender, if i was not riding it for long time( to keep the battery charged).

I traded up to my current spyder, which is a 2014 RTS-SE6, it has the 1330 Ace Engine, lower maintenance, quieter engine, you can/or it will shift down automatically for you. You can cruise around town at a lower RPM in 6th gear. It has blue tooth capability, heated hand passenger/driver hand grips , you can adjust the windshield on the fly! It is a very smooth ride, plenty of storage , and plenty of power with a passenger/or towing a trailer. When going up a hill, you have plenty of power. No lugging, It has a 1200 W alternator, to charge any of the electronics. You can change the oil at 9500 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

But I would check the For "Sale by Owner" on this site. I would also take a test ride on the F3 or RT.
https://www.cycletrader.com/

Deanna

ARtraveler
09-27-2020, 06:55 PM
I like re-reading these "older" threads when they pop up. It is like meeting old friends again and renewing some of what I learned on that go around.

And...we get to see who occasionally gets caught by them. :roflblack: I have done it too. :yes: