PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Installed - $$$$$ !!!

Firefly
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Strapped my rear tire over my passenger backrest today and went to my dealer to get it changed. Got there around 2:30pm. I knew I was in for a couple hour wait - so I took my netbook to entertain myself.

Well - they did a great job - got it done around 5:00. Had fun talking with the various people that work there, etc.

I knew they had to run the rim & tire to a local tire shop to get it swapped - so that added to the wait.

The only real shock was when the bill was ready......

Now realize that I had brought my own tire that I got from Rob's for $150 including shipping.

So - the total install cost came to----- and I'm embarassed to even tell you all what I paid.....

$204.00 :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Anyone have this done--- and what did you pay????

ataDude
05-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Strapped my rear tire over my passenger backrest today and went to my dealer to get it changed. Got there around 2:30pm. I knew I was in for a couple hour wait - so I took my netbook to entertain myself.

Well - they did a great job - got it done around 5:00. Had fun talking with the various people that work there, etc.

I knew they had to run the rim & tire to a local tire shop to get it swapped - so that added to the wait.

The only real shock was when the bill was ready......

Now realize that I had brought my own tire that I got from Rob's for $150 including shipping.

So - the total install cost came to----- and I'm embarassed to even tell you all what I paid.....

$204.00 :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Anyone have this done--- and what did you pay????
Did you pay it? If so, will you adopt me? Actually, if I bring the wheel/tire in I pay about $30. Add an hour or so labor to that and it would be about $130 for removing it from the bike.

Firefly
05-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Well - yeah - I paid it. Was there another option I'm unaware of?

Sorry, but unless you look like Salma Hayek---- I'm not adopting!

Dudley
05-29-2009, 11:46 PM
That's where they have us between a rock and a hard place. Taking a back wheel off and replacing a tire, etc., is time consuming and at nearly $100/hr. the pocket book gets slammed. Would be nice for some engineer to come up with an easier way to remove the back wheel, then all we would have to do is bring it to a tire shop, then back home for a quick install back on the Spyder. Oh, well, I can dream!

Firefly
05-30-2009, 12:10 AM
That's where they have us between a rock and a hard place. Taking a back wheel off and replacing a tire, etc., is time consuming and at nearly $100/hr. the pocket book gets slammed. Would be nice for some engineer to come up with an easier way to remove the back wheel, then all we would have to do is bring it to a tire shop, then back home for a quick install back on the Spyder. Oh, well, I can dream!

My shop is $89 per hour and they had $25 in 'parts'.

I'll do the fronts myself for sure - just didn't want to mess with the belt this time.

SethO
05-30-2009, 03:16 AM
on my third tire with 5400 miles on had a bf g force that did ok, realized halfway thru that you have to run around 35 psi in it instead of the 41 psi, got a Hankook Ventus R-S2 and am going to try that. was wondering if anyone has tried going with a narrower tire, the shipping invoice said it weighted 23 lbs with is damn heavy for a motorcyle tire and I know this not a bike but stay on track with me, what about running a 205 or 215 tire less mass faster speed, just I idea to get a little more out of it.

effgjamis
05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Speaking of tires.... Hey Lamonster how's your new tire doing?

Firefly
05-30-2009, 09:28 AM
on my third tire with 5400 miles on had a bf g force that did ok, realized halfway thru that you have to run around 35 psi in it instead of the 41 psi, got a Hankook Ventus R-S2 and am going to try that. was wondering if anyone has tried going with a narrower tire, the shipping invoice said it weighted 23 lbs with is damn heavy for a motorcyle tire and I know this not a bike but stay on track with me, what about running a 205 or 215 tire less mass faster speed, just I idea to get a little more out of it.

Did you change them yourself or have your dealer do it?

If the dealer - how much did they charge?

I'm sticking with OEM tires for the Spyder - don't want to mess up the VSS playing around with much higher tire pressures that other tires seem to require. The OEM has softer sidewalls - and I trust the BRP folks did that for a reason.

Really interested to know what others are paying for the labor to change the rear???

bjt
05-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I think we paid between $120 and $150 to have the rear tire replaced with our own tire. He charged us the same labor as if we bought the tire from them. Also, our service guy liked the Kumho tire and figured it would work well on the Spyder. With about 4,000 miles on the Kumho, I've been happy with it in both wet and dry road conditions. I can't tell any "seat of the pants" difference in the Spyder's handling between the two tires.

aka1004
05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I took kumho tire in and dealer charged me 95 or 85
245 total with oem tire if I wanted

baldev
05-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Any way one looks at it, maintenance on a Spyder gets my head rolling add the tyre change anyone who is not handy gets f#@%* ever so often.

Firefly
05-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm starting to wonder if they kept the time clock ticking while their 'runner' went down the road to the local tire shop and had it mounted. I don't think THAT part of the service should be billed at $89/hour!

ataDude
05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
... Sorry, but unless you look like Salma Hayek---- I'm not adopting!

This is me last Halloween. How about now? :joke:

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:QzvWDv9Ap_zMiM:http://www.greenjobs.ie/jobboard/public/cmsImages/179/912BDF4D0850419EB1C9D2EFF3F08895.jpg

WaltH
05-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Rob's didn't give you any deal. $150 is the MSRP. You can get 20% off list price with no shipping and no sales tax in most states, online at shopxps.com This would be $120. I buy a lot of stuff from them. They are good and reasonably fast.

I was the first one to get any kind of tire put on a Spyder at my dealer. Aside from the tire, they charged me one hour labor to mount, balance, and install the rear tire. One hour is three times the labor for any other motorcycle at the dealership including a Gold Wing. For everyone else, they charge 20 minuets for front or back. I don't think they can do a rear tire on a Spyder in 20 minuets, so I am not too unhappy with one hour. For the second rear tire, I went else where and paid more, but I had the wheel bearings, etc. replaced at the same time. My second rear tire was an automotive tire. I had my Harley mechanic do the work.

Firefly
05-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Rob's didn't give you any deal. $150 is the MSRP. You can get 20% off list price with no shipping and no sales tax in most states, online at shopxps.com This would be $120. I buy a lot of stuff from them. They are good and reasonably fast.

I was the first one to get any kind of tire put on a Spyder at my dealer. Aside from the tire, they charged me one hour labor to mount, balance, and install the rear tire. One hour is three times the labor for any other motorcycle at the dealership including a Gold Wing. For everyone else, they charge 20 minuets for front or back. I don't think they can do a rear tire on a Spyder in 20 minuets, so I am not too unhappy with one hour. For the second rear tire, I went else where and paid more, but I had the wheel bearings, etc. replaced at the same time. My second rear tire was an automotive tire. I had my Harley mechanic do the work.

I have no problem with $150 delivered. Robs stocks them and I got it in 24 hours.

My dealer ordered one for me and they are on backorder for a month - so unless your xps place stocks them - they wouldn't have been able to helpe me.

I checked pricing on your XPS site and they want $ 176.99 for a rear tire !

I'm loyal to companies that take care of me - that is more important than price. Robs has been great and gives me 10% just like my local dealer does. I would order more from my local dealer, but they just don't stock Spyder stuff - only order when the customer asks for it. Tires should be a no-brainer.

I'll have my next rear tire (which is on backorder from my local dealer) installed by the dealer because I'll be due for rear bearings by then.

0228lisa
05-30-2009, 07:10 PM
This is me last Halloween. How about now? :joke:

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:QzvWDv9Ap_zMiM:http://www.greenjobs.ie/jobboard/public/cmsImages/179/912BDF4D0850419EB1C9D2EFF3F08895.jpg

I'm sure you would get to ride bitch to Leno's garage looking like that!!
:thumbup:

Spyder#353
05-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I took in my rear tire to the dealer. I brought with me the tire, I got from the tire rack. The dealer mounted and balance it and charged 1/2 hour labor. I think you where charged for travel time to and from the other shop. That's BullSh!!!!! Next time you take it to the other shop to have it mounted. The bring it to the dealer and have them balance it. Or balance it your self with that Green Slim sealant for tubeless tires. And then send me the money you saved. :roflblack::ohyea:

spyder13
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I changed my own tire. Bought Kumho performance tire and mounted it at my work. I work for a ford dealership. Belt not a problem. I actually used a fish scale to measure tension of belt. Pulled down with scale to 20 lbs. while measuring the lenght with ruler. 20lbs = 3/4 inch put it back same way adjusted to center belt and works great.

effgjamis
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Well........
I just returned from my dealer to schedule the 6,000 mile service, and asked about a New Rear Tire in as I am planning on the trip to LA.
The man said " Cost of tire is $ 198, but I will let you have it for $ 145." I then asked " how much for installation ? He replied " Due to the time for Removal, and replacement, and re-synk of the electronics, the Labor will run $ 330.00 but that includes tax for tire etc or a total of $ 475 " . I just about s..... in my britches.
However, since I have pre-paid my service to include the 6,000 service, I scheduled to have them to the service.
But, if they think I am going to pay them $ 475 for a tire and the installation of the tire, they have some thoughts comming.
No way do I see the exchange of the tire having any effect on the electronics of the spyder. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

bjt
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. Our dealer charged 1 or 1.5 hours labor to install a tire.

ataDude
06-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Well........
I just returned from my dealer to schedule the 6,000 mile service, and asked about a New Rear Tire in as I am planning on the trip to LA.
The man said " Cost of tire is $ 198, but I will let you have it for $ 145." I then asked " how much for installation ? He replied " Due to the time for Removal, and replacement, and re-synk of the electronics, the Labor will run $ 330.00 but that includes tax for tire etc or a total of $ 475 " . I just about s..... in my britches.
However, since I have pre-paid my service to include the 6,000 service, I scheduled to have them to the service.
But, if they think I am going to pay them $ 475 for a tire and the installation of the tire, they have some thoughts comming.
No way do I see the exchange of the tire having any effect on the electronics of the spyder. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I'm no whiz in doing mechanical stuff... I can do it but I tend to be slow... to enjoy it... and even I can remove and re-install the rear tire in less than one hour. That's $95 labor at my dealer.

And, you're right... there's no re-sync'ing of any thing electronic for a tire change.

csmead
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
picked up 2 of 3 tires Sat. We will install as Clawsons wanted almost $400...and my tires would be the first set they installed. Clawsons had an advertised special, $40 per tire installation for Sat. only. The parts dept said I should take advantage??? Service dept. said it was for bikes only, exclude the Spyder...even if I just got the front wheels changed!

effgjamis
06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm no whiz in doing mechanical stuff... I can do it but I tend to be slow... to enjoy it... and even I can remove and re-install the rear tire in less than one hour. That's $95 labor at my dealer.

And, you're right... there's no re-sync'ing of any thing electronic for a tire change.

thank you... I could not visualize the electronics being involved, unless they lost my Magnets for the McCruise Control, but that would have nothing to do with the spyder's electronics.

Firefly
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Shouldn't be any electronics invloved - unless they bumb something they shouldn't!

Getting the belt correct would be the most difficult part I believe.

Mine was the first for my dealership too.

I'll do the fronts myself for sure. The rear I would be more apt to do when it's not nice outside - :D

BRP has a set time that dealers are supposed to charge for various things - as a guideline - and the dealer can charge whatever per hour. My shop has at least 10 techs - probably more - but only one has been to Spyder School.

M2Wild
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
My last rear wheel tire change quote was $75 (labor only). Quote was from a Spyder dealer.

Greg H.
06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
My rear tire replacement was just under $300. (10,200 miles)

Firefly
06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
My rear tire replacement was just under $300. (10,200 miles)

Did that include the tire?

Recluze
06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
My rear tire replacement was a little over $300 including tire and labor at the dealer. Done at 15,000 miles.

nater1
06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
When your warranty runs out, and you need to pay for the BUDS service fee to reset your ECU I do not want to hear any complaining for the people that feel a owner has no need to own such a device. :clap: I can read it here already plan as day, my dealer charged me $100 dollars to tell me I had a bad spark wire, and the charged me $30 for that wire. A total of $130 for two minutes. Two weeks later same problem with bike went back to dealer with problem, and paid another $100 to hook up to BUDS to be told it is a bad coil so you throw out $150 for the coil. That is $250 total.

Soon you will have a name that fills in the letters BRP. In the Harley Davidson world HD does not stand for Harley Davidson. HD stands for hundred dollar. You do not walk out of a Harley Davidson dealer with out spending at least $100.:clap: Walk in to a dealer just ask how much does something cost. The answer with be either 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, ect. You will ask what 1 means? The response will be what ever number is said just add the words hundred dollar.:bowdown:

Firefly
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
When your warranty runs out, and you need to pay for the BUDS service fee to reset your ECU I do not want to hear any complaining for the people that feel a owner has no need to own such a device. :clap: I can read it here already plan as day, my dealer charged me $100 dollars to tell me I had a bad spark wire, and the charged me $30 for that wire. A total of $130 for two minutes. Two weeks later same problem with bike went back to dealer with problem, and paid another $100 to hook up to BUDS to be told it is a bad coil so you throw out $150 for the coil. That is $250 total.

Soon you will have a name that fills in the letters BRP. In the Harley Davidson world HD does not stand for Harley Davidson. HD stands for hundred dollar. You do not walk out of a Harley Davidson dealer with out spending at least $100.:clap: Walk in to a dealer just ask how much does something cost. The answer with be either 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, ect. You will ask what 1 means? The response will be what ever number is said just add the words hundred dollar.:bowdown:

Not sure what your post has to do with tire replacement, but I've got 5 years warranty on Spyder - and will renew it after that.

Also, any decent dealer would hook up to BUDDS for no charge even out of warranty - like any decent auto place does. My auto guy will hook people up and not charge them - but he does hope that if service is needed you will consider using him.;)

Either way - not a concern for most for 5 years as it seems most Spyder owners went with the BEST extended warranty.

ataDude
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
When your warranty runs out, and you need to pay for the BUDS service fee to reset your ECU I do not want to hear any complaining for the people that feel a owner has no need to own such a device.

Sooooo... you're just doing this in advance as a service for all of us?

Everyone got your message... many multiple times... from post one... how about stopping now? I had you on "ignore" up until last night... back you go.

p.s. I have never blocked anyone else... so, congratulations... you're my first. :dontknow:

effgjamis
06-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Please explain to this ole man what your post has to do with tires.

I think it is time that you stop being so negative and posting stuff in non related topics or threads. IMHO

nater1
06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Dudley said they have him between a rock, and a hard place. I was just letting him understand how big of a rock it will become.

If you can not really work on your bike your self with out a special tool then you are at the same spot.

Do you really think when the warrant runs out there will be no few for diagnostics?

Eff for example how does $20 a gallon gas sound. If it is not ok why?

VIspyderman
06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Dudley said they have him between a rock, and a hard place. I was just letting him understand how big of a rock it will become.

If you can not really work on your bike your self with out a special tool then you are at the same spot.

Do you really think when the warrant runs out there will be no few for diagnostics?

Eff for example how does $20 a gallon gas sound. If it is not ok why?

I'm usually the one who comes to folks defense when they're being picked on. It's usually their own fault because they have an off the wall opinion on a subject. However, they usually carry on enjoying the Spyder Lovers forum and participate actively in other threads and topics. You, Nater1, have not let up on the BUDDS subject, you hijacked threads, been nasty to BRP and truly have made your point known. Now it is time for you to think about something. If you want to be taken seriously, then act serious. If you want to be considered educated, act educated. If you want to be perceived as well written... then for gods sake, proof read your posts. Now, either drop it, 'cause we all know you aren't going to get the software without working at a dealer (that's what I've done), or go away. You have succeeded in having folks here block your posts. Most are annoyed with you. Stick around, make your posts to be of a positive note, encouraging, even one or two expressing displeasure at something... then drop it.

WaltH
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I have no problem with $150 delivered. Robs stocks them and I got it in 24 hours.

My dealer ordered one for me and they are on backorder for a month - so unless your xps place stocks them - they wouldn't have been able to helpe me.

I checked pricing on your XPS site and they want $ 176.99 for a rear tire !

I'm loyal to companies that take care of me - that is more important than price. Robs has been great and gives me 10% just like my local dealer does. I would order more from my local dealer, but they just don't stock Spyder stuff - only order when the customer asks for it. Tires should be a no-brainer.

I'll have my next rear tire (which is on backorder from my local dealer) installed by the dealer because I'll be due for rear bearings by then.

You are right about the XPS price. I sent the following in an e-mail to XPS. I haven't received a reply as of yet.

"There seems to be a price discrepancy in your online price for a Can-Am Spyder rear tire part number 705500958. The MSRP is $149.99 and when I checked your price several weeks ago it was $120.00 which was a 20 percent discount. I didn't buy the tire then because I decided to go with an automotive tire. However, now I recommended your company to a friend of mine who needs a tire and he pointed out that you wanted over list price. Your online price is shown as $176.99. Please explain."

When you get around to doing the rear wheel bearings, you may want to look into the change made for the 09 model. There are two bearings (from China) in the wheel and one in the sprocket. For 09 the part number for the two in the wheel has changed. The one in the sprocket has not. The change may indicate a different vendor, or it may indicate a physical upgrade. I don't think the wheel changed in 09, so maybe the new part could be used in the 08 model. It may be worthwhile to ask the question.

SpyderGirl
06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I have access at my school to a tire machine, but it's an automotive shop. I am wondering how difficult it is to do the rear tire change by yourself. I am pretty techinically inclined and I do have the shop manual. Is it something I could really screw up easily or ???

Lamonster
06-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I have access at my school to a tire machine, but it's an automotive shop. I am wondering how difficult it is to do the rear tire change by yourself. I am pretty techinically inclined and I do have the shop manual. Is it something I could really screw up easily or ???

It's really not a big deal. It's a car tire on a car rim basicly. The hardest part is getting the belt to track right. I've gotten pretty good at it but some seem to have more problems with it than others. :dontknow:

bjt
06-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Wait 'til lamonster gets out there for the Transformers event then change your tire and bribe him to help you set the belt tracking. :D

effgjamis
06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Wait 'til lamonster gets out there for the Transformers event then change your tire and bribe him to help you set the belt tracking. :D

I hope you don't hold your breath...:roflblack: