PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for a new Spyder.

NautiBrit
05-25-2018, 11:09 PM
New patent filings from BRP, show some interesting changes.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/new-can-spyder-revealed-patent-filings.html

Spyder601
05-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Is this going to be the new lower priced model much like the RS? Or a new design in general?

Dmetcalf
05-26-2018, 05:06 AM
This will be very interesting to monitor as time tracks along ...! Thanks for posting this .

ofdave
05-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Interesting and will be worth following for sure.
Potential single sided swing arm and shaft drive-that's interesting for sure.
It has nothing to do with the low end model due next year.

AraņaRider
05-26-2018, 08:00 AM
looks like its gonna be a solo rider

Lamonster
05-26-2018, 08:17 AM
:popcorn::coffee:

ARtraveler
05-26-2018, 04:33 PM
From the other similar thread...but appropriate here.

Interesting. Very Interesting.

A couple good points mentioned above.

Possible stuff in progress for the "new" sub $10K promised for 2019.

I like the idea of shaft drive--I liked all my 2 wheelers that had it.

And, I am also fearful that a re-do of the RT fully loaded will also be kissing that $40K area. I guarantee that will be the "kiss of death" for future Spyder acquisitions for me.

Look at what is happening with HD. They crossed the $40K threshold on several models this last year.

Chupaca
05-26-2018, 04:49 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:Looks interesting yet puzzling...:thumbup:

Peter Aawen
05-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Hmm, looks like shaft drive?! GOOD MOVE :thumbup:..... but where's the provision for an intercooler?? :dontknow:

You can't seriously be thinking a bigger motor with shaft drive & a non-intercooled turbo?!? :yikes:

Fat Baxter
05-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Actually, I'm cool to the notion of a shaft drive on a Spyder. BMW had some problems with one of their RT model runs a few years back. When the shaft drive failed, it failed catastrophically. No chance of roadside repair. Call for a trailer, and hope that your credit card is thick. The Spyder's belt drive is simple; from what I read here, not much goes wrong with it (I readily admit some folks though have had problems). BMW has also had some problems with leaking seals on the final drive; easy to screw up if not done absolutely right.

I'd also be concerned about BRP's engineering learning curve on something like this. Note my comment about BMW having shaft drive problems, and they've been using shaft drive since they first came out in about 1923. 75 years later, and they laid an egg.

Historical nugget: for the first several years, Gold Wings were using BMW shaft drives.