PDA

View Full Version : Secondary frunk release....

Chupaca
05-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Have seen this problem pop up a few times recently so I went to the garage and installed a secondary release on my RS. Would be similar on the other models . I do appologize for the pictures being out of order some but have not fingured out how to re-arrange them once they are uploaded...Hope it helps those that are thinking about it....:thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4762

Can check My Albums in profile or Latest albums

UtahPete
05-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Have seen this problem pop up a few times recently so I went to the garage and installed a secondary release on my RS. Would be similar on the other models . I do appologize for the pictures being out of order some but have not fingured out how to re-arrange them once they are uploaded...Hope it helps those that are thinking about it....:thumbup:

That's a great use for all those extra split-ring key rings that have been accumulating.

Very innovative use of romex insulator casing as cable 'slider'.

LeftCoast
05-25-2018, 07:10 PM
That's a great use for all those extra split-ring key rings that have been accumulating.

Very innovative use of romex insulator casing as cable 'slider'.

I need to spend a couple of days in a garage with you guys just watching and learning

UtahPete
05-25-2018, 08:17 PM
I need to spend a couple of days in a garage with you guys just watching and learning
And drinking beer. Don't forget the beer!

Highwayman2013
05-25-2018, 08:31 PM
I have one on our F3L and had one on the seat and the frunk on our RT.

UtahPete
05-25-2018, 08:32 PM
I have one on our F3L and had one on the seat and the frunk on our RT.
Did you make it yourself ?

LeftCoast
05-25-2018, 09:43 PM

Beer is on me, whatever you like.

Bfromla
05-25-2018, 09:46 PM

Yes it has thanks :2thumbs: & believe that would be 12gauge solid wire if from a residential romex (commonly available at Lowe's& Home Depot) wondering about the length coming from the location you did would not take much. Wondering if old wire hanger would do the trick:dontknow:

Haze
05-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Nice work Gene.
I did much the same on my ST. Made cable releases for the seat and frunk.
Used 100 lbs test fishing leader and a skinny nylon tube. Now I have to go back and terminate with split rings.

Highwayman2013
05-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Did you make it yourself ?
Yes, not as fancy as Gene’s just a piece of wire.

Peteoz
05-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Thanks Gene.....you can’t beat a good “photo with description” :thumbup:

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Yes it has thanks :2thumbs: & believe that would be 12gauge solid wire if from a residential romex (commonly available at Lowe's& Home Depot) wondering about the length coming from the location you did would not take much. Wondering if old wire hanger would do the trick:dontknow: I actually made and installed these as a Vendor ..... ( Spyderquest ) I tested a lot of different cable types and found the best to be 1/16 diameter coated stranded wire available by the foot at Lowe's , Home Depot etc, ....... Mike :thumbup:

AeroPilot
05-26-2018, 12:12 AM
If I recall right that was the length of 30 lb steel fishing leader that I led straight left on my Base RT from the latch lever to the black scoop trims where the LTD's and S-s have their fog lights. Back in the matte finish scoop is room for a split ring and insurance that I can always get to it when needed. Thanks for the ideas and especially the pics guys!!

ofdave
05-26-2018, 04:05 AM
The sleeve offers good protection for the cable.
I wonder if you could use stainless brake line for a sleeve?
It wouldn't be as easy to squeeze against the wire as the plastic tube.
Just a thought.

mcalva
05-26-2018, 04:51 AM
Very good idea!

What do you think about using a bicycle brake cable with its case and a tensioner on one end?

ofdave
05-26-2018, 07:03 AM
Very good idea!

What do you think about using a bicycle brake cable with its case and a tensioner on one end?

another good idea
someone hurry up and do this

OlJim
05-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Very good idea!

You guys are way over designing this, it's not like the hood release on your car, you will probably never have to use it anyway. Mine is like Blueknight's for the frunk and and some fishing line for the seat that I terminated in the glove box with a split ring.

irvin48
05-26-2018, 08:41 AM
KISS principle on mine. piece of galvanized wire in frt. piece of insulated wire for the
seat bent into a ring at the end.both kept out of sight.:yes:

Bensonoid
05-26-2018, 09:09 AM
I'm going to hang a new S Drive on my spyder tomorrow, c'mon over. (Photo does not represent the tire I will be mounting. But it does represent the beer I will be drinking).

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2018, 10:17 AM
You guys are way over designing this, it's not like the hood release on your car, you will probably never have to use it anyway. Mine is like Blueknight's for the frunk and and some fishing line for the seat that I terminated in the glove box with a split ring.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: .........Like I said above I TESTED a few types of " Pull cable " and the coated wire was the BEST ..... stiff yet flexible un-breakable and cheap ( per foot ) ..... It doesn't need a separate SLEEVE ....mine has been on and working without a hitch for over two years ( so has the seat side ) ...... For absolute security you can actually run this type of wire from the re-lease arm at the FRUNK along the left side on the RT ( under the Tupperware ) into / thru the back of the rear trunk. where it stays totally hidden and IN-ACCESSABLE to anyone but you because the PULL is in a locked trunk .......................has that for engineering :clap::clap::clap:

newbert
05-26-2018, 03:22 PM
I actually made and installed these as a Vendor ..... ( Spyderquest ) I tested a lot of different cable types and found the best to be 1/16 diameter coated stranded wire available by the foot at Lowe's , Home Depot etc, ....... Mike :thumbup:

Nice idea! Do you plan on installing them at Spyderquest this year?

LeftCoast
05-26-2018, 03:35 PM
I'm going to hang a new S Drive on my spyder tomorrow, c'mon over. (Photo does not represent the tire I will be mounting. But it does represent the beer I will be drinking).

Great choices!

LJspydee
05-26-2018, 06:58 PM
I used a bicycle cable and routed it under the upper LH tupperware panel. 161588161589161590

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 07:00 PM
I used a bicycle cable and routed it under the upper LH tupperware panel.
Nice, clean installation. But I wonder how easy it is to grip that swaged knob at the outer end and then pull it?

Peteoz
05-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Gene,

I’m in the process of installing this now.......thanks very much.......One thing I’m struggling with....How exactly did you attach your cable to the release arm?

Pete

Chupaca
05-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Gene,

I’m in the process of installing this now.......thanks very much.......One thing I’m struggling with....How exactly did you attach your cable to the release arm?

Pete

I just threaded through and twisted it. Much like a twist tie for you loaf of bread...:roflblack: Ideally a ring would be better but as I was just using what I found on the work bench I did the same on the split ring...good luck :thumbup: gene

LJspydee
05-26-2018, 10:59 PM
Nice, clean installation. But I wonder how easy it is to grip that swaged knob at the outer end and then pull it?

I always carry my multitool with plies and it keeps anyone without one from opening the frunk.

wmh9680
05-26-2018, 11:22 PM
another good idea
someone hurry up and do this

I like your no bs symbol

Peteoz
05-27-2018, 01:14 AM
I just threaded through and twisted it. Much like a twist tie for you loaf of bread...:roflblack: Ideally a ring would be better but as I was just using what I found on the work bench I did the same on the split ring...good luck :thumbup: gene

Gotcha.....thanks Gene :thumbup:

Pete

Peteoz
05-28-2018, 03:23 AM
Many thanks Gene, Mike et al. Release cable now installed in F3-L frunk. I actually used a flexible 900mm Ipad charge cable. Snipped the iPad connector off, stripped the cable, passed it through the tiny hole next to the release, tied a knot in it and threaded the other end up under the fairly easily removed top inspection panel. It’s still got the USB plug on the pull end, so it’s pretty well disguised ;):thumbup:

Now I’ve gone to all that trouble, I can pretty much rest assured that I will never have to use it :D

Pete

UtahPete
05-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Many thanks Gene, Mike et al. Release cable now installed in F3-L frunk. I actually used a flexible 900mm Ipad charge cable. Snipped the iPad connector off, stripped the cable, passed it through the tiny hole next to the release, tied a knot in it and threaded the other end up under the fairly easily removed top inspection panel. It’s still got the USB plug on the pull end, so it’s pretty well disguised ;):thumbup:Now I’ve gone to all that trouble, I can pretty much rest assured that I will never have to use it :DPete
By stripping the cable do you mean removing the jacket?

Peteoz
05-28-2018, 03:19 PM
By stripping the cable do you mean removing the jacket?

Yeah, Pete......poor terminology ;) There were three smaller coated wires (and some insulation) inside the main sheath, which I was able to pass through the hole next to the release spring. It seems to have plenty of strength for the task and doesn’t interfere with the factory release mechanism.

Pete

ofdave
05-28-2018, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Pete......poor terminology ;) There were three smaller coated wires (and some insulation) inside the main sheath, which I was able to pass through the hole next to the release spring. It seems to have plenty of strength for the task and doesn’t interfere with the factory release mechanism.

Pete

hey, Pete
any chance of a pic showing how you connected it to the release and then routed the cable out to the side?
I'm guessing left side on the F3?