PDA

View Full Version : Help with DESS

gerald37
05-24-2018, 07:32 PM
Is there anyone with in 4 to 5 hundred miles of Omaha that has Megatech Licence for BUDS that will disable DESS Key code on a 2015 Spyder RT. If it could be switched off. If there is please send me an Email to geraldmathison@gmail.com.

Any were Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Dakotas.

gerald37
05-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Can any one tell me if this is the correct BUDS I would have to purchase for Spyder 1014 to 2017. This is what I understand and I think it includes the code for Megateck licence. The price is $702. for one year. Is it legal to use this? I don't want it if is not legal.

https://www.powersports-diag.com/en/brp-diagnostic-kits/1-17-brp-buds-buds2-mpi-3-diagnostic-kit-4-tec-e-tec.html#/17-license_type-all_dealer_dealer_technician_1_year

PaladinLV
05-24-2018, 11:58 PM
If still under Warranty, take a photo of the dash screen DESS error, bring Spyder into Dealer.
Have them open a case with BRP.
This being a 2015, the fix is TYPICALLY simpler then the 2014 which needed BOTH ignition switch and DESS Module replaced and some dealer/BRP would not do BOTH at once.

The 2015, is again TYPICALLY just the DESS module replacement which has fixed the MAJORITY of 2015s plaques by this error.

Good Luck!

AJ

Is there anyone with in 4 to 5 hundred miles of Omaha that has Megatech Licence for BUDS that will disable DESS Key code on a 2015 Spyder RT. If it could be switched off. If there is please send me an Email to geraldmathison@gmail.com.

Any were Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Dakotas.

AY4B
05-25-2018, 01:14 AM
It is the right one but if you choose the Megatech license for one year it is 1100.56 dollars. for 5 years it is 1276.16.
You have to convert the currency to US dollars at the upper right corner.

AY4B
05-25-2018, 01:22 AM
It has a 1 month megatech option for 714.18. It would be much cheaper to get it fixed or drive it to Houston.

AY4B
05-25-2018, 01:28 AM
What would be nice is if some of the laser alignment folks that already have BUDS and travel around to the different ralleys can upgrade their license to Megatech and start providing that service to folks.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2018, 04:06 AM
If still under Warranty, take a photo of the dash screen DESS error, bring Spyder into Dealer.
Have them open a case with BRP.
This being a 2015, the fix is TYPICALLY simpler then the 2014 which needed BOTH ignition switch and DESS Module replaced and some dealer/BRP would not do BOTH at once.

The 2015, is again TYPICALLY just the DESS module replacement which has fixed the MAJORITY of 2015s plaques by this error.

Good Luck!

AJ Why this " take a picture thing " is still being advised as proof of the DESS failure I really don't understand .......... EVERYTHING that occurs on any Spyder is logged into the computers and can be retrieved by using B.U.D.S ...which every dealer has !!!!!! and in 2014 only SOME DESS failures required both .... Mine failed and only the Module was replaced , that was two years and 15,000 miles ago ........ Mike :thumbup:

PMK
05-25-2018, 05:01 AM
The DESS module, and ensure you are getting the most current part number is not that expensive or difficult to replace. Any dealer can order it, or even you could mail order it. Probably a 1 hour task if you have the ability to work on your own machine.

Last time I checked, a new module wad around $130.

gerald37
05-25-2018, 05:53 AM
I rode over two miles yesterday to three of the closest dealers I have and they did not know what I was talking about the DESS Key.

jcthorne
05-25-2018, 06:31 AM
What would be nice is if some of the laser alignment folks that already have BUDS and travel around to the different ralleys can upgrade their license to Megatech and start providing that service to folks.

I can tell you I travel with BUDS and have done several at rallys. Did a couple at Spyders on the Bayou.

I will be in the Dakotas and Nebraska around Labor Day on a group bike trip.

AY4B
05-25-2018, 07:02 AM
I can tell you I travel with BUDS and have done several at rallys. Did a couple at Spyders on the Bayou.

I will be in the Dakotas and Nebraska around Labor Day on a group bike trip.

Thanks for that JC, you are the exception to the rule. or just exceptional. The others need to follow your lead.

AY4B
05-25-2018, 07:10 AM
Why this " take a picture thing " is still being advised as proof of the DESS failure I really don't understand .......... EVERYTHING that occurs on any Spyder is logged into the computers and can be retrieved by using B.U.D.S ...which every dealer has !!!!!! and in 2014 only SOME DESS failures required both .... Mine failed and only the Module was replaced , that was two years and 15,000 miles ago ........ Mike :thumbup: I remember well Mike! you had your Spyder all disassembled at your hotel room and it was down most of that Spyderfest. I was glad it was not me, then the following year, I got the DESS error right before Spyderfest. JC offered to turn mine off for free if I drove to Houston. I took him up on it.

AY4B
05-25-2018, 07:28 AM
I rode over two miles yesterday to three of the closest dealers I have and they did not know what I was talking about the DESS Key.
JC explained it to me when I was there. BRP does not pay for a Megatech licence for the dealers so they do not upgrade to it. The Techs that work at the dealers can only work with what they are given. It is not that much difference between getting a regular dealers license and a Megatech license and he did not understand why they did not pay the difference. Probably its just policy just like installing car tires is against policy.

Bob Denman
05-25-2018, 07:56 AM
:agree:...That would be nice! :clap:
Are you willing to pay for that upgrade? :shocked:

AY4B
05-25-2018, 08:04 AM
:agree:...That would be nice! :clap:
Are you willing to pay for that upgrade? :shocked:

Why would I? If it was me doing laser allingments all over the country, yes Id pay the extra few bucks for a megatech license. Its just more tools in my electronic drawer to expand my business.

Megatech License Features: **

Changing of the VIN number, MODEL number
Advanced settings
View stories in hours, rather than percentage
Enabling / Disabling DESS
Change the key type without reprogramming (normal, learning, rental)
Clear the history of the blocks ECM, MPEM (history of substitutions)
Cleaning ECM, MPEM, CLUSTER "as new" (resetting the total hours & total miles/km)
View more information blocks
Installing Secure Code
Edit curves for E-TEC (Skidoo).
Boost Seadoo Spark from 60hp to 90hp
etc...

UtahPete
05-25-2018, 11:46 AM
You have 3 Spyder dealers within 2 miles?

gerald37
05-25-2018, 12:59 PM
You have 3 Spyder dealers within 2 miles?

You must not know where I live. I am 50 miles northeast of Omaha. Closest dealer if you call them a dealer Edwards Motorsports & RV. They did not have any idea what I was talking about. Did not know if they had the licence. I then when to Leisure Life Sports out West Omaha and they said they would not enable the DRSS code. If I wanted it checked make an appointment and leave it with them and they would look at it. I hardly ever have the DRSS Key so it would never do it setting in their lot. I know when I would pick it up there would be a large bill to pay.. Then I went to Lincoln, NE to Star City Motor Sports they carry every line of motorcycles except Harley Davidson and BMW. They are so large they don't have much time for you. The one service manager had no idea what I wanted he gave to another and he said they would never enable any thing with a Spyder. I have no idea where you think I have 3 dealers within 2 miles. There is a pretty good dealer in Atlantic, Iowa 50 miles east of me but I know they would never enable the DESS. Algona, Iowa has a fair Spyder dealer that is where my Spyder was purchased new. They are 150 miles away. I was there a while back and they quoted me a new replacement key, the blank and cut and also programmed for $80.00. I told them to go ahead do it and the Service Manager came out and said I would have to make an appointment and come back. That is 300 mile round trip.

PaladinLV
05-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Tell them to READ their F'n Service Bulletins!
Hate lazy ass techs
AJ

jcthorne
05-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Most dealers are only going to diagnose and fix the problem. You will need to make an appointment and leave the bike to get it fixed. Does not need to display the DESS code on the screen when they have it. The code is stored in the ECU. If its out of warranty you get to pay the repair cost. Or you purchase the tools and do the work yourself. It would be the same with any bike or vehicle.

I was just letting you know there was another option outside the box. Do not get upset with your dealer when they will not venture outside of what they are instructed by BRP.

Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.

Joel The Biker
05-25-2018, 05:31 PM
I always carry my laptop w/BUDS for on the road emergencies or to disable the DESS for people. Unfortunately I dont ride to Iowa.

gerald37
05-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Most dealers are only going to diagnose and fix the problem. You will need to make an appointment and leave the bike to get it fixed. Does not need to display the DESS code on the screen when they have it. The code is stored in the ECU. If its out of warranty you get to pay the repair cost. Or you purchase the tools and do the work yourself. It would be the same with any bike or vehicle.

I was just letting you know there was another option outside the box. Do not get upset with your dealer when they will not venture outside of what they are instructed by BRP.

Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.

Retrieving Codes: by Push the Mode Set & Turn Signal buttons at the same time will that show any DESS Key Codes? I do that and I get no codes showing at all. Yesterday and today I have tried to get a DESS Key code. I have shut it off a number of times and removed the key replace it never a DESS Key on the dash. I have not been in any rains but I have really washed it several times and dryed it with my hose blow dryer. Yesterday I did use some WD40 in the switch and on the key. It has never had DESS Key since. I have had this Spyder since July of last year and have put over 10,000 miles on it. I never had this DESS Key code until last week.

RinconRyder
05-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Algona, Iowa has a fair Spyder dealer that is where my Spyder was purchased new. They are 150 miles away. I was there a while back and they quoted me a new replacement key, the blank and cut and also programmed for $80.00. I told them to go ahead do it and the Service Manager came out and said I would have to make an appointment and come back. That is 300 mile round trip.

My local stealer charges $130 for the blank and programming (and you have to wait at least one week for the blank to arrive - no inventory).

gerald37
05-25-2018, 07:13 PM
My local stealer charges $130 for the blank and programming (and you have to wait at least one week for the blank to arrive - no inventory).

The dealer in Algona said they always had key blanks in stock. They have a place down the street that would cut the keys anytime for them. It was the Service Manager that said I would have to have an appointment. This would be a 300 mile round trip for about a 30 minute job. Over the years I have had a number of Harley Davidson's, Yamaha's, BMW's and Honda Gold Wing's and never had problems with getting service. BMW was the only one that I would have to have an appointment the others would always work you in unless it was something big. I have never had to leave a bike at a dealer other than one BMW K1200LT to replace a rear end under warranty. They gave me a loner bike to ride. In my area people are use to this kind of service and that is what hurts Spyder sales. Besides we have very few dealers.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2018, 08:19 PM
I remember well Mike! you had your Spyder all disassembled at your hotel room and it was down most of that Spyderfest. I was glad it was not me, then the following year, I got the DESS error right before Spyderfest. JC offered to turn mine off for free if I drove to Houston. I took him up on it. " MOSTLY DOWN "- Not really just the 5 min. it took for the BRP techs to swap out the module ( seriously only 5 min. ) and I can take and or re-place my Frunk in about 15 min...... :clap::clap::clap:... Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
05-26-2018, 05:59 AM
Retrieving Codes: by Push the Mode Set & Turn Signal buttons at the same time will that show any DESS Key Codes? I do that and I get no codes showing at all.

No, that only retrieves ACTIVE codes. Not the history. The history is only accessible via BUDS.

LeftCoast
05-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Well I'd seen these threads pop up but not taken much interest until I got an orange DESS screen twice this morning when I was going to get gas. Freaked out a bit because i wasn't sure if I should leave my driveway or not. Have read most of the other threads so I tried with both keys and got the error with both. After powering down for 5 mins it started fine. Shut it off and re started 3 more times before I felt safe enough to leave. Shut down and started fine after I got gas too. One thing I did notice when I got the error is 1st gear was showing on the panel not N when I turned the key. Powering up at the gas station I saw the same thing but then it switched to N on the screen. Maybe this is all normal as I am still noticing some things for the first time as a new owner.

Am I on borrowed time or just a fluke? I would do the DESS removal if I end up somewhere where someone can do it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Well I'd seen these threads pop up but not taken much interest until I got an orange DESS screen twice this morning when I was going to get gas. Freaked out a bit because i wasn't sure if I should leave my driveway or not. Have read most of the other threads so I tried with both keys and got the error with both. After powering down for 5 mins it started fine. Shut it off and re started 3 more times before I felt safe enough to leave. Shut down and started fine after I got gas too. One thing I did notice when I got the error is 1st gear was showing on the panel not N when I turned the key. Powering up at the gas station I saw the same thing but then it switched to N on the screen. Maybe this is all normal as I am still noticing some things for the first time as a new owner.

Am I on borrowed time or just a fluke? I would do the DESS removal if I end up somewhere where someone can do it.
You are on borrowed time :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... once the Dess module shows signs of failure ( the orange screen of Death :yikes: ) ..... It will eventually STOP working completely..... when is any one's guess , but I can assure it's not likely to occur while you are at a dealer :gaah:..... Yours is under warranty so INSIST your dealer fix it .... and although some people on this forum say you MUST bring a picture of the DESS orange screen with you .... that's total Hooey - it's logged into your computer and will be found by B.U.D.S. ..... If they claim it isn't there they are # 1. incompetent or #2. LIEING .......... This is no BS ......good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

LeftCoast
05-28-2018, 01:14 PM
You are on borrowed time :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... once the Dess module shows signs of failure ( the orange screen of Death :yikes: ) ..... It will eventually STOP working completely..... when is any one's guess , but I can assure it's not likely to occur while you are at a dealer :gaah:..... Yours is under warranty so INSIST your dealer fix it .... and although some people on this forum say you MUST bring a picture of the DESS orange screen with you .... that's total Hooey - it's logged into your computer and will be found by B.U.D.S. ..... If they claim it isn't there they are # 1. incompetent or #2. LIEING .......... This is no BS ......good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Oh joy, thanks Mike.

gerald37
05-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Oh joy, thanks Mike.

I have had my 2015 Spyder since July of last Year. Have put little over 10,000 miles on it. I remember last year right after I got it I had the DESS Key orange screen twice. I had never had it again until one week ago and I had it two or three times. I feel the reason I have had it is because it has been every time right after I had washed it. I may have got water in the switch. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and on the key and have never had it again. I only have one key for mind. I have tried everyway to get it to do it again. I have removed the key a lot of times and leave it in it. I am trying fine some one to disable the DRSS Key but no one in my area will do it. I am seriously thinking about purchasing BUDS just to have it. I do all my own service and have no way to show any service has ever been done.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-28-2018, 02:25 PM
I have had my 2015 Spyder since July of last Year. Have put little over 10,000 miles on it. I remember last year right after I got it I had the DESS Key orange screen twice. I had never had it again until one week ago and I had it two or three times. I feel the reason I have had it is because it has been every time right after I had washed it. I may have got water in the switch. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and on the key and have never had it again. I only have one key for mind. I have tried everyway to get it to do it again. I have removed the key a lot of times and leave it in it. I am trying fine some one to disable the DRSS Key but no one in my area will do it. I am seriously thinking about purchasing BUDS just to have it. I do all my own service and have no way to show any service has ever been done.
This is a FACT - the module won't - can't FIX itself - It's not re-pairable either - It will eventually STOP working - period ..... having it re-moved from the system is BEST , but if you can't get that .....MAKE the dealer replace it .... The file can be accessed via BUDS .... any & every thing that logs into the computers ...STAYS THERE ... It can't be re-moved ....The Delete key only hides it from NORMAL viewing - but it IS there ....... I know people who do Computer Forensics ..... and they say it's THERE forever ....This is why H. C. destroyed Hers ....because the info is there ..... Mike :thumbup:

gerald37
05-28-2018, 05:29 PM
This is a FACT - the module won't - can't FIX itself - It's not re-parable either - It will eventually STOP working - period ..... having it re-moved from the system is BEST , but if you can't get that .....MAKE the dealer replace it .... The file can be accessed via BUDS .... any & every thing that logs into the computers ...STAYS THERE ... It can't be re-moved ....The Delete key only hides it from NORMAL viewing - but it IS there ....... I know people who do Computer Forensics ..... and they say it's THERE forever ....This is why H. C. destroyed Hers ....because the info is there ..... Mike :thumbup:

When the Can AM dealer's around my area don't even know what the Dess Key is and don't even seem to want to do anything I don't know what I can do. I would have the unit changed tomorrow if I could. I see I can order the part for $130.00 but I would need BUDS to change it. You are just fortunate to have good dealers. Any Can Am dealer around here do not stock hardly any Spyder parts. If I take my Spyder in they would have to check everything out then order the part and it would be in their shop for at least a month. You have to have at least two weeks notice for an oil change and then leave your Spyder with them and it would be a week.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-28-2018, 05:40 PM
When the Can AM dealer's around my area don't even know what the Dess Key is and don't even seem to want to do anything I don't know what I can do. I would have the unit changed tomorrow if I could. I see I can order the part for $130.00 but I would need BUDS to change it. You are just fortunate to have good dealers. Any Can Am dealer around here do not stock hardly any Spyder parts. If I take my Spyder in they would have to check everything out then order the part and it would be in their shop for at least a month. You have to have at least two weeks notice for an oil change and then leave your Spyder with them and it would be a week.
no - no - % no ..... I'll try to answer in the order from above ........ E-mail BRP Cares and start a CASE ....... If you can get your Frunk off ....it's a 5 min. job to change the DESS Module ..... Un-plug two connectors ( on the module ) and un-bolt it ..... I moved mine from the OEM location to just under the right headlamp ( the wires will reach that area .... The Module is just above the Battery on the left ( as you face it ) ..... You Don't need BUDS ( except maybe if it's in FAIL mode )....I don't have good dealers - I do all my own work ....... This is a fact of life today .... NO Dealers of anything Automotive stocks parts anymore - period - think can't afford to do it ...... If a dealer has or orders a part They Must pay for it - immed.- .....If you can't get the part under warranty or as a Curtesy from BRP , then buy it and do it your-self .....good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

gerald37
05-28-2018, 06:17 PM
no - no - % no ..... I'll try to answer in the order from above ........ E-mail BRP Cares and start a CASE ....... If you can get your Frunk off ....it's a 5 min. job to change the DESS Module ..... Un-plug two connectors ( on the module ) and un-bolt it ..... I moved mine from the OEM location to just under the right headlamp ( the wires will reach that area .... The Module is just above the Battery on the left ( as you face it ) ..... You Don't need BUDS ( except maybe if it's in FAIL mode )....I don't have good dealers - I do all my own work ....... This is a fact of life today .... NO Dealers of anything Automotive stocks parts anymore - period - think can't afford to do it ...... If a dealer has or orders a part They Must pay for it - immed.- .....If you can't get the part under warranty or as a Curtesy from BRP , then buy it and do it your-self .....good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

I have no warranty. I purchased the Spyder used form a Honda dealer that had it on consignment. The two guy's that own it hated it because of the way it handled. It did handle terrible when I got it. It had 10,200 miles on it. Tires were bad and air pressure was not correct. Alignment was terrible. I purchased new car tires, aligned it, Centrimatic wheel balancer's, aligned the belt which was way off, Doc's belt tension, and Bajaron Sway bar. Now it rides and handles great. I do all my own service and tires. I always have on all my motorcycles. It would not bother me to change out the DESS Module but I figure you would need BUDS to reset the keys with the chip in them. If it is just a matter of changing the DESS Module and it is just plug in unit I am sure I can do that. I found the DESS Module, Part#719994916, $132.99 with Cheap Cycle Parts which I have purchase several items from them.

LeftCoast
05-28-2018, 06:33 PM
I have a 2014RTS-SE6 I have had the "D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( and the switch replaced once). The first time the D.E.S.S. module was replaced on July 14th, 2015 it was under warranty.

The 2nd time the D.E.S.S. module/ and the switch was replaced on Aug. 28th, 2015 it was also under warranty. Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. error. Have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP.

I started a thread " D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent, and helpful info. Deanna

After reading those threads I almost feel like I know you Deanna. Thanks for paving the way.

Alwaysonwheels
05-28-2018, 06:34 PM
What is DESS? I got it for the first time on a ride the other day on start after stopping for a rest. Turned the key of and on again and I was on the go again.

I have a 2014 ST-S SE5

Thanks as always,
Tim

Mad Mac
05-28-2018, 06:36 PM
What is DESS? I got it for the first time on a ride the other day on start after stopping for a rest. Turned the key of and on again and I was on the go again.

I have a 2014 ST-S SE5

Thanks as always,
Tim
Digitally Encoded Security System. Mac:2thumbs:

Alwaysonwheels
05-28-2018, 06:40 PM
What does it do besides being a PITA?

Deanna777
05-28-2018, 06:41 PM
After reading those threads I almost feel like I know you Deanna. Thanks for paving the way. Thanks for reading the D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread that I posted 3 years ago. I know I have helped a lot of people on this site with that thread. Deanna

Deanna777
05-28-2018, 06:55 PM

I have a 2014 ST-S SE5

Thanks as always,
TimTim, D.E.S.S, is Digitally Encoded Security System. Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution:

Replace the D.E.S.S. Module. Program the keys using the B.U.D.S.

If after the replacement of the D.E.S.S. Module the problem reoccurs, update the previously opened BOSSWeb case or open a BOSS Web Case and report this situation.

Technical Explanation:

When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

I posted a thread" D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent info. Deanna

gerald37
05-28-2018, 07:06 PM
I have a 2014RTS-SE6 I have had the "D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( and the switch replaced once). The first time the D.E.S.S. module was replaced on July 14th, 2015 it was under warranty.

The 2nd time the D.E.S.S. module/ and the switch was replaced on Aug. 28th, 2015 it was also under warranty. Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S. error. Have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP.

I started a thread " D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent, and helpful info. Deanna

I was told the 2014's were the ones that had the problem with the DESS Module and switch. The 15's had the new module's and it took care of the problem. Several of them had to have both the module and switch replaced. The old part number that was in the 2014 was #710004241 now the number is #710004916. Mind is a 2015 and I have had the DESS Key orange screen about four time in the last 10 months. I was not to worry until BLUEKNIGHT911 in formed me that it will fail and he does seem to know what he is talking about. I am not to concerned that it will right today but he is probably right.

Deanna777
05-28-2018, 07:08 PM
What does it do besides being a PITA?D.E.S.S. stands for : Digitally Encoded System. It is a theft deterrent system.

Hope this helps.

Deanna

gerald37
05-28-2018, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Deanna777;1364610]Tim, D.E.S.S, is Digitally Encoded Security System. Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution:

If after the replacement of the D.E.S.S. Module the problem reoccurs, update the previously opened BOSSWeb case or open a BOSS Web Case and report this situation.

Technical Explanation:

When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

I posted a thread" D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago. It has a lot of excellent info. Deanna

/QUOTE]
You are telling me if I replace the DESS Module I will need BUDS to reprogram the keys even if my present module is working at the time.

Deanna777
05-28-2018, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=Deanna777;1364610]Tim, D.E.S.S, is Digitally Encoded Security System. Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution:

Technical Explanation:

/QUOTE]
You are telling me if I replace the DESS Module I will need BUDS to reprogram the keys even if my present module is working at the time.Yes, when I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced in my 2014RTS-SE6 ,my can am dealership reprogramed the keys using the BUDS.

Deanna

gerald37
05-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Yes the 2014's,and some other spyder models did have the DESS Module and switch replaced.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and I have had the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice( fist time was in July 14, 2015 and the 2nd time was on Aug. 28th, also I had the Switch replaced).

The old D.E.S.S module part number at the time was 710004190, and the old "Switch " part # was 710004413. The newest D.E.S.S module part # is 710004916. Yes, it will fail, get the D.E.S.S. and the Switch replaced. Have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP, and be sure that your dealership has the parts, before you get your get your spyder fixed.

I started a D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years ago.

Good luck!

Deanna
I have no dealer that even knows what I am talking about. Read my earlier post. I have no warranty that is why I would like to purchase the DESS Module and change it myself. BLUEKNIGHT911 says I don't need BUDS unless it is in failed mode. I found where I can purchase the DESS Module and changing it would be no problem if I don't need BUDS.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-28-2018, 07:57 PM
I have no warranty. I purchased the Spyder used form a Honda dealer that had it on consignment. The two guy's that own it hated it because of the way it handled. It did handle terrible when I got it. It had 10,200 miles on it. Tires were bad and air pressure was not correct. Alignment was terrible. I purchased new car tires, aligned it, Centrimatic wheel balancer's, aligned the belt which was way off, Doc's belt tension, and Bajaron Sway bar. Now it rides and handles great. I do all my own service and tires. I always have on all my motorcycles. It would not bother me to change out the DESS Module but I figure you would need BUDS to reset the keys with the chip in them. If it is just a matter of changing the DESS Module and it is just plug in unit I am sure I can do that. I found the DESS Module, Part#719994916, $132.99 with Cheap Cycle Parts which I have purchase several items from them. On mine the BRP tech's said the MODULE alone will fix it .... IT DID :yes::yes::yes:....forget BUDS ..... Cheap Cycle is better than BRP , but they aren't the cheapest ....and all these sellers are using OEM BRP parts not nock-offs .....I think you have it well in hand :clap::clap::clap:

jcthorne
05-29-2018, 07:50 AM
What does it do besides being a PITA?

More PITA when you cannot start your bike when you are 2500 miles from home....

PMK
05-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Swap the module to the current part number and be done, hopefully.

The DESS module is dumb, simply does tasks other electronics tell it to do. When it gets lazy, those tasks are not done.

Like a lawn service or cleaning lady, you ask them to accomplish a task, if they are up to it, the task is completed.

You as the owner are like the computer. As the homeowner you hire and assign tasks, same as the computer, it assigns tasks.

If the coil around the key is failing, which is unlikely, it’s like the lawn mower that doesnt start for the lawn service or cleaning lady leaky bucket. A less likely problem, and the task is not accomplished due to laziness.

Swap the module, it simply energizes the key and reads the code. The code is sent to the computer that decides if it will start or not.

Or you can read 10,000 posts in that topic, or even more. If the dealer is clueless about DESS, you will have a short stressful riding season.

gerald37
05-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Swap the module to the current part number and be done, hopefully.

The DESS module is dumb, simply does tasks other electronics tell it to do. When it gets lazy, those tasks are not done.

Like a lawn service or cleaning lady, you ask them to accomplish a task, if they are up to it, the task is completed.

You as the owner are like the computer. As the homeowner you hire and assign tasks, same as the computer, it assigns tasks.

If the coil around the key is failing, which is unlikely, it’s like the lawn mower that doesnt start for the lawn service or cleaning lady leaky bucket. A less likely problem, and the task is not accomplished due to laziness.

Swap the module, it simply energizes the key and reads the code. The code is sent to the computer that decides if it will start or not.

Or you can read 10,000 posts in that topic, or even more. If the dealer is clueless about DESS, you will have a short stressful riding season.

I placed an order today for a DESS Module #710004916 with Cheap Motorcycle Parts. I am to have it next week sometime. I will switch it out myself. I have a 2015 Spyder RT and have had it little over 10 months and have put over 10,000 miles on it. It now has 20,700 miles on it. I have had DESS Key orange screen about 4 times, once last September and about two weeks ago and all I have ever had to do is remove the key and put it back. I was not much worried about it until BLUEKNIGHT911 tells me I am going to be stranded. I sure hope this is all I need. I only have one key so as soon as I get the module changed I have a blank key and will have it cut and someone program it for me.

gerald37
05-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Has anyone switch out their own DESS Module on a 2015 RT?

LeftCoast
05-29-2018, 09:35 PM
The earliest the dealer can get my bike in is June 22nd. Fingers crossed and they better be able to pull the code to get the process started.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-29-2018, 11:31 PM
Has anyone switch out their own DESS Module on a 2015 RT?
I didn't have to SWITCH mine out .... But after it was re-placed ( under warranty ) I moved the module to under the right headlight ...BRP supplies enough extra wire in the harness for both plugs to reach without any splicing etc. ... Just planning for the future if it fails again .... I could now change it in 5 minutes if I had to ....... When it was fixed they didn't do anything to my keys or use BUDS ...... Mike :thumbup:

gerald37
05-30-2018, 05:37 AM
I didn't have to SWITCH mine out .... But after it was re-placed ( under warranty ) I moved the module to under the right headlight ...BRP supplies enough extra wire in the harness for both plugs to reach without any splicing etc. ... Just planning for the future if it fails again .... I could now change it in 5 minutes if I had to ....... When it was fixed they didn't do anything to my keys or use BUDS ...... Mike :thumbup:

I may move mind when I switch it out. I still am going to try to fine someone to disable it sometime. Being it is a 2015 it may never be any problem.

gerald37
05-30-2018, 05:39 AM
Thanks for reading the D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread that I posted 3 years ago. I know I have helped a lot of people on this site with that thread. Deanna

With all the problems you have had with DESS Key why did you not have your's disabled?

trikermutha
05-30-2018, 06:21 AM
I have no warranty. I purchased the Spyder used form a Honda dealer that had it on consignment. The two guy's that own it hated it because of the way it handled. It did handle terrible when I got it. It had 10,200 miles on it. Tires were bad and air pressure was not correct. Alignment was terrible. I purchased new car tires, aligned it, Centrimatic wheel balancer's, aligned the belt which was way off, Doc's belt tension, and Bajaron Sway bar. Now it rides and handles great. I do all my own service and tires. I always have on all my motorcycles. It would not bother me to change out the DESS Module but I figure you would need BUDS to reset the keys with the chip in them. If it is just a matter of changing the DESS Module and it is just plug in unit I am sure I can do that. I found the DESS Module, Part#719994916, $132.99 with Cheap Cycle Parts which I have purchase several items from them.

You don't need BUDS to change out the module. Once you get the fronk off its right behind it. The only issue I had was removing the metal ring that was around the wire as it does not come with the new module.
All you have to do then is get the pin out of the connector in stall the metal ring and then start reinstalling everything. They may have the ring on them now??

THe frunk is not to bad to get off and can be done with one person.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2018, 07:19 AM
You don't need BUDS to change out the module. Once you get the fronk off its right behind it. The only issue I had was removing the metal ring that was around the wire as it does not come with the new module.
All you have to do then is get the pin out of the connector in stall the metal ring and then start reinstalling everything. They may have the ring on them now??

THe frunk is not to bad to get off and can be done with one person.
I'm very familiar with this issue - So what metal ring are you talking about ...... That wasn't something I have encountered ????? .................. Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
05-30-2018, 07:30 AM
I'm very familiar with this issue - So what metal ring are you talking about ...... That wasn't something I have encountered ????? .................. Mike :thumbup:

I took this pictures off ebay just to show the metal ring around the wires. (please forgive me I copied and pasted the pic) I believe it used to reduce noise on the line.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ARsAAOSwNA1bB2~n/s-l1600.jpg

gerald37
05-30-2018, 01:27 PM

I was just curious just where you did move it? Is it just below the right head light and did you drill holes to remount it?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2018, 01:31 PM
I took this pictures off ebay just to show the metal ring around the wires. (please forgive me I copied and pasted the pic) I believe it used to reduce noise on the line.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ARsAAOSwNA1bB2~n/s-l1600.jpg
. .Interesting - I just looked at mine .... the Module looks the same and so do the Plugs ..... However mine doesn't and didn't have that ring when I moved mine to under the right headlight !!!!!! ......... Mine is a 14 RT , do you know what year the module in the pic is ?????? ............ Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2018, 01:38 PM
I was just curious just where you did move it? Is it just below the right head light and did you drill holes to remount it?
There is a clear, flat area under the plastic of the right headlite ........ and did drill two small holes in the lip so I could use the OEM mounting holes on the module ... It all looks factory now ..... I or the Dealer ( :roflblack: ) only have to un-bolt the module from the lip .... the only plastic that has to be re-moved is the blk triangle on the right side this just pops out - no tools ) ..... 5 min job & if the dealer does it , He will be very HAPPY :yes:, because He is going to charge BRP the shop book price for the job = 2hrs labor charge ..... Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
05-30-2018, 03:12 PM
. .Interesting - I just looked at mine .... the Module looks the same and so do the Plugs ..... However mine doesn't and didn't have that ring when I moved mine to under the right headlight !!!!!! ......... Mine is a 14 RT , do you know what year the module in the pic is ?????? ............ Mike :thumbup:

Says its for a 2014 RT and I have a 2014 RT and had the ring. I see new ones with the ring already installed now.

Did your old Module have the ring on it?? Because my new module did not and I moved the ring to the new module.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Says its for a 2014 RT and I have a 2014 RT and had the ring. I see new ones with the ring already installed now.

Did your old Module have the ring on it?? Because my new module did not and I moved the ring to the new module.
Thanks ....... unfortunately I didn't notice it when the Tech was replacing the module that had failed ...However when I moved it I had to take all the wiring that is connected to the harness and stretch it to fit the new location ....there was NO RING ...... hope this helps ..... Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
05-30-2018, 07:38 PM
The earliest the dealer can get my bike in is June 22nd. Fingers crossed and they better be able to pull the code to get the process started.Good luck!

Deanna

Deanna777
05-30-2018, 07:47 PM
With all the problems you have had with DESS Key why did you not have your's disabled?At the time when I had the D.E.S.S. modules/switch replaced on my spyder, these were covered under warranty. There wasn't anyone in my area that could disable the D.E.S.S.

I am still in the work force full time, so I did not have the time. I did not want D.E.S.S enabled.

Deanna

gerald37
05-30-2018, 08:45 PM
At the time when I had the D.E.S.S. modules/switch replaced on my spyder, these were covered under warranty. There wasn't anyone in my area that could disable the D.E.S.S.

I am still in the work force full time, so I did not have the time. I did not want D.E.S.S enabled.

Deanna
Thanks for the reply. Mind is a 2015 and have had the DESS Key very few times like 4 in 10 months and that was twice together two times. Both of these times I had just washed the Spyder and I may have got some water in the switch but I did not think I did. All I had to do was remove the key and replace it and it started right off both times. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and have never had it since. The last two weeks I have tried everything to see if I could get it to act up. I have ordered a new DESS Module and will replace the old one and I think I will move the location like BLUEKNIGHT911 did. I will keep the one I take out and carry it and I would be able to change it on the road if I had to. I can understand you not wanting DESS enabled I would rather not but if someone comes a long that can do it I would. I feel being a 2015 and replacing the Module I may not have anymore problems. I read most all your thread that you started. If I was a little younger and had real good health and knew I could keep riding I would purchase BUDS just for my own use plus people in my area. I do all my own service and do not like anyone working on my bike.

Jerry

Deanna777
05-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. Mind is a 2015 and have had the DESS Key very few times like 4 in 10 months and that was twice together two times. Both of these times I had just washed the Spyder and I may have got some water in the switch but I did not think I did. All I had to do was remove the key and replace it and it started right off both times. I sprayed some WD40 in the switch and have never had it since. The last two weeks I have tried everything to see if I could get it to act up. I have ordered a new DESS Module and will replace the old one and I think I will move the location like BLUEKNIGHT911 did. I will keep the one I take out and carry it and I would be able to change it on the road if I had to. I can understand you not wanting DESS enabled I would rather not but if someone comes a long that can do it I would. I feel being a 2015 and replacing the Module I may not have anymore problems. I read most all your thread that you started. If I was a little younger and had real good health and knew I could keep riding I would purchase BUDS just for my own use plus people in my area. I do all my own service and do not like anyone working on my bike.

JerryJerry, When I had the D.E.S.S. modules and switch changed they were under warranty. I have a 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna

Vaden
07-14-2019, 07:58 AM
I live in Texas. Can anyone tell me if they’re is someone who can disable my dess. Willing to travel. Thanks

larryd
07-14-2019, 08:09 AM
Very Active Member
jcthorne's Avatar Join Date
Sep 2013
Post Thanks / Like
Spyder Garage
Its not fixed. Have seen it on a 2018 (which we turned off). The 2014s were widespread, later bikes not so much but it still happens.

Have never seen this on a single 2013 or earlier.

Spyder-Mel
07-14-2019, 12:37 PM
thornolis.com

jcthorne
07-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys. I was working on a customers bike so not on the forum this morning.

Yes, I can handle turning off your DESS if you would like to drive down to Houston.

Spyderlass
07-15-2019, 06:19 AM
To replace the DESS module it is not necessary to remove the front trunk.

Remove the battery cover, two screws.
Remove the battery clamp and the battery.
Access the module on the chassis rail above the battery compartment and remove the two screws using a spanner (wrench).
Disconnect the DESS cable connectors from the wiring harness.
If your DESS is faulty, clip through the cable to release it from the cable tie which fastens the excess cable to the chassis.

If you wish to save your module because it is still good you need to clip through the cable support tie which holds the cable to the chassis rail - this is tricky because access is limited. Alternatively, as I did, just cut clean through the cable and rejoin the cable once it's out of the vehicle.

Connect your replacement DESS module connectors to the wiring harness and move the module to the side.
Replace the battery and its clamp.
Cable tie the DESS module to the top of the battery clamp to allow easy access in the future.
Replace the battery cover.
Go riding!

Deanna777
07-15-2019, 06:21 PM
I have no dealer that even knows what I am talking about. Read my earlier post. I have no warranty that is why I would like to purchase the DESS Module and change it myself. BLUEKNIGHT911 says I don't need BUDS unless it is in failed mode. I found where I can purchase the DESS Module and changing it would be no problem if I don't need BUDS.

Good luck!
Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-16-2019, 10:35 PM
To replace the DESS module it is not necessary to remove the front trunk.

Remove the battery cover, two screws.
Remove the battery clamp and the battery.
Access the module on the chassis rail above the battery compartment and remove the two screws using a spanner (wrench).
Disconnect the DESS cable connectors from the wiring harness.
If your DESS is faulty, clip through the cable to release it from the cable tie which fastens the excess cable to the chassis.

If you wish to save your module because it is still good you need to clip through the cable support tie which holds the cable to the chassis rail - this is tricky because access is limited. Alternatively, as I did, just cut clean through the cable and rejoin the cable once it's out of the vehicle.

Connect your replacement DESS module connectors to the wiring harness and move the module to the side.
Replace the battery and its clamp.
Cable tie the DESS module to the top of the battery clamp to allow easy access in the future.
Replace the battery cover.
Go riding!

This is very interesting … we both have RT's and I have re-moved and moved my DESS module to another location …...( see pics in my new Album " Dess Module " ) I re-moved my Frunk to do this... because imho it can't be accessed any other way …. I'll let the viewer decide if it can be done using your method …. in Pic #2, when the Frunk is in place you can't see the module, or the bolts that hold it to the frame, or the wires, or how they are attached to the frame.... I apologize for not being able to post the pics on this post …… Mike :ohyea:

Spyderlass
07-17-2019, 06:41 AM
No you can't directly see in there but you can crane your neck or use a mirror to have a peek then work by feel. It's just two M6 screws attaching the unit to the frame. If your DESS is bad, and it likely is or you wouldn't be in there, there is no loss in clipping the cable to remove it from the cable tie.

AY4B
07-17-2019, 08:01 AM
I had my second DESS error last week. My spyder is still under warranty so I will have it replaced under warranty to avoid making a special trip to Houston or Arkansas to disable it. I did have a conversation with my service guy asking if they have a megetech license to turn it off. He is checking on it but they have the new module on order and will replace it.

PMK
07-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Guessing Gerald 37 is out riding on his Spyder after he installed the replacement DESS module...

He never came back and posted how it worked out, or if it solved his issues.

duke50
08-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Who do I contact to disable my dess in Mo, IL, or Arkansas

Rohaianan
08-14-2020, 03:50 PM
So does disabling the DESS solve the issue?

trikermutha
08-14-2020, 03:52 PM
No it just makes it go away.

Deanna777
08-14-2020, 07:35 PM
No it just makes it go away.

:agree:

Since I had the D.E.S.S module replaced 6 years ago, I haven't had the D.E.S.S error.

I also started a very long thread about the D.E.S.S issues that I had in 2015, it got a lot of views, etc.

Deanna