PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Trailer?

Chasinsparks
05-23-2018, 09:46 PM
For those with experience: Looking to purchase a a Cargo Trailer to haul my Spyder as me an my wife travel a lot for work and not always able to ride the bike, but hate it sitting in the garage when I could trailer it with us and ride wherever we are.

Spyder 2016 RTL

Towing Vehicle Audi Q7 3.0 All Wheel Drive Turbo Diesel 406 FT-LBS Torque Towing Capacity 5500 LBS.

Looking at either 7 x 12 or 7 x 14 (Enclosed)

V-nosed or not?

Single or Dual Axles?

Any recommended brands

Any Tie down suggestion?

Any concerns with the ramp I should look for?

Any suggestions, advice or Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chasin

UtahPete
05-23-2018, 09:57 PM
For those with experience: Looking to purchase a a Cargo Trailer to haul my Spyder as me an my wife travel a lot for work and not always able to ride the bike, but hate it sitting in the garage when I could trailer it with us and ride wherever we are.

Spyder 2016 RTL

Towing Vehicle Audi Q7 3.0 All Wheel Drive Turbo Diesel 406 FT-LBS Torque Towing Capacity 5500 LBS.

Looking at either 7 x 12 or 7 x 14

V-nosed or not?

Single or Dual Axles?

Any recommended brands

Any Tie down suggestion?

Any concerns with the ramp I should look for?

Any suggestions, advice or Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chasin
Enclosed or open? That's important to know.

Chasinsparks
05-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Thanks Pete, I added enclosed to the list of questions, tried to think of all I could and missed the easiest one.

Enclosed or open? That's important to know.

RZ-Jackrabbit
05-23-2018, 10:31 PM
For a trailer I have a 6' X 12' utility with dove tail and bi-folding rear ramp. Had to order it because it was narrower than what they normally stock.

Would go with a single axle for better fuel mileage.
V-nose probably less wind drag.
When I did my trailer was wanting to keep it as close to the width of my pick-up as possible. It does make it easier to getting around in traffic.
For strapping down the :f_spider: used front wheel stops and installed 6 D-rings in the floor to run the straps through. By adding the D-rings (bolted through the floor and around the steel cross members of the trailer) could get the straps to hold the Spyder in place like I wanted.

Good luck with your trailer search.

jbim
05-23-2018, 10:37 PM
This is the canadian site but I believe there is a use distributor.

https://ca.stingertrailer.com/product/stinger-can-am-spyder-trailer/

UtahPete
05-23-2018, 10:41 PM
The dual axle is probably not necessary if you are on pavement and just carrying the light load of the Spyder.

You may want to consider the height of the door opening if you are riding it in. Plus a side door for ease of egress.

RapidSpyder
05-23-2018, 10:59 PM
I ended up getting a Continental Cargo 6 by 12 single axle with a ramp that has a flap that folds up. Had to go with a 6 wide due to the width of my boat pad. The ramp is 63 inches wide between the cables, which only gives a little less then an inch clearance on each side.

Chasinsparks
05-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Thank you for your input.

For a trailer I have a 6' X 12' utility with dove tail and bi-folding rear ramp. Had to order it because it was narrower than what they normally stock.

Would go with a single axle for better fuel mileage.
V-nose probably less wind drag.
When I did my trailer was wanting to keep it as close to the width of my pick-up as possible. It does make it easier to getting around in traffic.
For strapping down the :f_spider: used front wheel stops and installed 6 D-rings in the floor to run the straps through. By adding the D-rings (bolted through the floor and around the steel cross members of the trailer) could get the straps to hold the Spyder in place like I wanted.

Good luck with your trailer search.