PDA

View Full Version : Battery tender connection-where the heck is it?

BoxyLady
05-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Hi folks,

Have a 2016 F3 Limited. I have read several places that there is a tender connector under the passenger seat. I used the "customer accessory" lead under there to get power to the GPS, but did not see a tender connection. I assume I am looking for a that standard tender connector with the male/female tips that work with all the battery tenders I have seen out there.

Can someone confirm for me what I am looking for?

I searched the manual and this site using all kinds of search combinations. i see a TON of threads about trickle charge vs battery tender, when and when not to use one, etc., but can't find anything regarding where to plug one in.

I have Battery Tender brand tenders attached to all my 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles at all times, and want to get one attached to the Spyder.

thanks!

Jeff

Tazzel
05-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Did not know it had one pre installed

Highwayman2013
05-22-2018, 08:58 AM
When you buy one like the Battery Tender Jr. it will come with the pigtail that you attach directly to the battery terminals.

Bob Denman
05-22-2018, 09:10 AM
When you buy one like the Battery Tender Jr. it will come with the pigtail that you attach directly to the battery terminals.

Yup! :thumbup:

vtown biker
05-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Is the general consensus on here that you use a battery tender over a trickle charger?

Are they not basically the same thing?

Thx in advance for the comments.

Bob

cognaccruiser
05-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Is the general consensus on here that you use a battery tender over a trickle charger?

Thx in advance for the comments.

Bob

Perhaps part of it is the terminology that people use. Battery Tenders recognize when the battery needs charging and keeps it topped off but stops charging otherwise. If by trickle charger you mean any battery charger that is used to charge a battery and just keeps on charging and never stops on its own, then that device will "cook" your battery.
So depending on your definition, there may or may not be a distinction.

Gary

vtown biker
05-22-2018, 10:10 AM
My charger has a 2A feature for trickle charging and when charged, turns off.

I think the big difference is that my regular charger won't maintain the battery as it slowly discharges over time.

The tender senses the discharge and automatically tops off the battery.

Am I correct here?

Perhaps part of it is the terminology that people use. Battery Tenders recognize when the battery needs charging and keeps it topped off but stops charging otherwise. If by trickle charger you mean any battery charger that is used to charge a battery and just keeps on charging and never stops on its own, then that device will "cook" your battery.

Gary

Easy Rider
05-22-2018, 10:11 AM

YES.

NO.

A trickle charger will charge at a low level forever if you don't disconnect it. That is bad for most batteries.
A tender will turn off or drop way down when the charge is full and you don't have to manually turn it off and on.

Culpjp
05-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Some dealers will install the pig tail connectors for a battery tender on every bike they sell. You may have seen posts from people that bought from one of these dealers. As far as I know, they don't come from BRP installed.

wvedec
05-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Hi folks,

Have a 2016 F3 Limited. I have read several places that there is a tender connector under the passenger seat. I used the "customer accessory" lead under there to get power to the GPS, but did not see a tender connection. I assume I am looking for a that standard tender connector with the male/female tips that work with all the battery tenders I have seen out there.

I searched the manual and this site using all kinds of search combinations. i see a TON of threads about trickle charge vs battery tender, when and when not to use one, etc., but can't find anything regarding where to plug one in.

I have Battery Tender brand tenders attached to all my 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles at all times, and want to get one attached to the Spyder.

thanks!

Jeff

I have a 2016 F3-T. My battery tender connection is in the frunk. It was obvious when I opened the frunk, as the dealer had threaded it over the frunk gasket. Since this caused a leak in the frunk, I rerouted mine around the edge of the frunk, so that the end of the connector sits in the cavity where the hinge goes when you close it. Perhaps the dealer left yours under the frunk liner and you will find it if you remove the frunk liner (an easy task). I have attached a photo showing the connection between my Battery Tender and the connection in the Spyder frunk.

Wayne

Easy Rider
05-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Those can also be found at most all auto parts stores.
I think they are commonly called "SAE battery charger connectors".

Petrom714
05-22-2018, 10:26 AM
just got leftover 17 F3t
just confirmed no pig tail in the frunk
havent looked under the seat yet for the pig tail
my impression is that BRP does not install anything to connect the tender/charger

Hi folks,

thanks!

Jeff

SilverFox1
05-22-2018, 10:53 AM
There is a big difference between a tender (maintainer) and a trickle charger no matter how small the amperage. Don’t leave a trickle charger plugged in all the time. A tender or maintainer can stay plugged indefinitely. It only works when the battery needs it.

SilverFox

BoxyLady
05-22-2018, 11:20 AM
thanks folks. No problem, I can certainly attach one to the battery terminals in the front trunk, if it's not already there.

thanks.

ARtraveler
05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
thanks folks. No problem, I can certainly attach one to the battery terminals in the front trunk, if it's not already there.

thanks.

Looks like they have your questions answered. :yes:

Devious56
05-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Gary

Just to clear this up, a Battery Tender is a battery maintainer sold by the Deltran Company here in Florida. There are other battery maintainers on the market, some of them very good. Itis not a battery charger. There is only one Battery Tender, there are af few different models. If you are confused, or not sure, Google it and see for yourself.

Docster
05-22-2018, 03:39 PM

Gary

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-trickle-charger-534853

http://batterychargersexpert.com/what-is-a-battery-tender/

Peteoz
05-22-2018, 03:42 PM
I have a 2016 F3-T. Perhaps the dealer left yours under the frunk liner and you will find it if you remove the frunk liner (an easy task). I have attached a photo showing the connection between my Battery Tender and the connection in the Spyder frunk.

Wayne

I certainly don’t have a dealer installed tender connector on my 2016 F3-L, Wayne, and it looks like many others don’t either. Perhaps your dealer is one of those who goes “the extra mile”;).

Pete

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Is the general consensus on here that you use a battery tender over a trickle charger? YES!

Are they not basically the same thing? NO!

In the strict sense of the terminology they are not the same as cognaccruiser explains. Battery tender is a brand name that has evolved into a generic term, kind of like aspirin and xerox. A battery tender is a battery maintainer. A maintainer squirts a little bit of electricity into the battery as needed to keep it fully charged. A trickle charge continues to send a small current all the time.

To confuse the issue the terms are often used interchangeably so make sure you look closely at the description on the unit. A maintainer will usually use the word maintain. Many maintainers will work as a charger until the battery is fully charged and then change into maintenance mode.

You are wise to be asking before you accidentally ruin a good battery! :thumbup:

Battery Tender brand product is very popular, but there are others out there equally good. I have one from NAPA. Schumacher makes a good one.

cognaccruiser
05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Just to clear this up, a Battery Tender is a battery maintainer sold by the Deltran Company here in Florida. There are other battery maintainers on the market, some of them very good. Itis not a battery charger. There is only one Battery Tender, there are af few different models. If you are confused, or not sure, Google it and see for yourself.

Of course you are correct. I do as do others and tend to use the name Battery Tender when meaning a battery maintainer. I have a Yuasa version as well as a Battery Tender made by Deltran. And yes Deltran makes a few different versions. I've had one made by Deltran that was sold by BMW for one of my cars that was only driven in the summer. So, no confusion here. Guess it's like saying Kleenex instead of tissue.

Gary

cognaccruiser
05-22-2018, 05:45 PM
In the strict sense of the terminology they are not the same as cognaccruiser explains. Battery tender is a brand name that has evolved into a generic term, kind of like aspirin and xerox. A battery tender is a battery maintainer. A maintainer squirts a little bit of electricity into the battery as needed to keep it fully charged. A trickle charge continues to send a small current all the time.

To confuse the issue the terms are often used interchangeably so make sure you look closely at the description on the unit. A maintainer will usually use the word maintain. Many maintainers will work as a charger until the battery is fully charged and then change into maintenance mode.

You are wise to be asking before you accidentally ruin a good battery! :thumbup:

Battery Tender brand product is very popular, but there are others out there equally good. I have one from NAPA. Schumacher makes a good one.

My explanation was simply that a Tender or as other like to say "maintainer" is not the same as a trickle charger for the reason given. I was trying to not be too long winded. My bad.

I think we are all actually on the same page. See my post 20.

Cheers,

Gary

Bfromla
05-22-2018, 05:50 PM

thanks.
:thumbup: Good to hear & just a word of caution not all are the same. If u get the battery tender brand they will more than likely have the polarity matching(between charger & pigtail)
I have found other maintainers with them reversed :yikes::dontknow: Glad I checked first.
My previous unit a Schumacher SP3 auto charger/maintainer 6&12VDC 3Amp
something killed it (5yr warranty I didn't care) & the replacement, same brand & model just different year the pigtail was backwards, I had to replace it too.
161429 I like the unit for the price & features, the display will read % & status. The 5 yr warranty has paid for itself.
I do use it on few various batteries, car, 2 bikes, & mower.

BoxyLady
05-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Yes, I have always used the Battery Tender Brand on all my cars and bikes. I actually hooked up a pigtail to the battery this afternoon.

I was just hoping there was a connection for it under the passenger seat since now I have to route the pigtail from the battery around the backside of the front trunk bucket and probably cut a hole to run it through in the trough area where the hood hinge is. Not a big deal, but was just hoping for something already in place that was convenient....

thanks everyone!

Highwayman2013
05-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Yes, I have always used the Battery Tender Brand on all my cars and bikes. I actually hooked up a pigtail to the battery this afternoon.

I was just hoping there was a connection for it under the passenger seat since now I have to route the pigtail from the battery around the backside of the front trunk bucket and probably cut a hole to run it through in the trough area where the hood hinge is. Not a big deal, but was just hoping for something already in place that was convenient....

thanks everyone!
I ran mine out the left side near the suspension.

4 MARIE
05-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Bob

uh...they both plug into the wall, and connect to your battery, but beyond that, they are NOT THE SAME. duh...

BoxyLady
05-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Ah, that's a good idea I did not think about. Thanks!

wrb3004
05-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Just bought a left over 2017 F3L from iMotorsports and a pigtail was already installed and had been run the same, out the left side, very convenient.

Easy Rider
05-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Just to clear this up, a Battery Tender is a battery maintainer sold by the Deltran Company here in Florida.

Facial tissues are commonly called "Kleenex" too.

Automatic battery maintainers are commonly called "tenders".

No harm, no foul.

I like the term "tender type".
But if mis-use of the brand name causes someone to go out and shop for a "real" Battery Tender instead of a generic.......so what ??

SPYD3R
05-23-2018, 09:50 AM
the DC plug that people are talking about that's under the rear seat is BRP option, i have it... it's a dual-USB port, but most any 12V adapter can be installed...
what i did, was install a USB/CIGAR LIGHTER adapter in the bucket... this way, i can power up my head-sets, GPS, etc while at rest or riding, and attach my battery tender when she sits for a few days....
works just fine.... hope this helps...
Dan P
SPYD3R

wvedec
05-23-2018, 04:10 PM

thanks everyone!

I ran the tender pigtail around the outside of the frunk liner. There was no need to make a hole in the liner. You should be able to see it in the photo in my previous post.

AeroPilot
05-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Like Highwayman said that seemed to be the straightest run, and it was easy after bolting the eyelet directly to the battery, to run the short lead out and zip tie it to the top A-Arm on the left side. Easy to access and use, and hasn't moved in 2 yrs. :clap:

AY4B
05-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Also you can get a 12 volt power plate installed on the handle bars. Battery Tender has an adapter that will plug into it.

canamjhb
05-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Was doing a little maintenance and tinkering with the bike today. Took the black plastic shield off the top left inside the frunk, and low and behold, there is a tender pigtail right there just waiting to be discovered.....:yes::yes::yes:

BoxyLady
05-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Was doing a little maintenance and tinkering with the bike today. Took the black plastic shield off the top left inside the frunk, and low and behold, there is a tender pigtail right there just waiting to be discovered.....:yes::yes::yes:

Sounds like you had a helpful dealer.....me, not so much !

Vinlander
08-10-2018, 09:46 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited with a 12vdc 3amp power supply in the top compartment.Can i just plug my battery tender 1.25amp with a male supply and fused at 2amp.I was hoping this set up would be good for winter storage.Just got my spyder in June and only had 4000Km on it.Thanks

Easy Rider
08-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited with a 12vdc 3amp power supply in the top compartment.Can i just plug my battery tender 1.25amp with a male supply and fused at 2amp.

It likely is not a "power supply" but just a wire and connector.

IF......it is live when the ignition is OFF, then yes it should work fine for a tender connection.

And if it is not live when the Spyder is OFF, you might be able to move a fuse and fix that.

Bdomini1
08-10-2018, 10:13 AM
I have used Deltran Battery Tenders exclusively for many years. I have used them on cars, motorcycles and on my Spyder RT. They have never failed to keep my vehicles’ batteries charged.

Vinlander
08-10-2018, 03:58 PM
It likely is not a "power supply" but just a wire and connector.

IF......it is live when the ignition is OFF, then yes it should work fine for a tender connection.

And if it is not live when the Spyder is OFF, you might be able to move a fuse and fix that.

I did (ass)ume it was powered as per the manual but it lied to me.Turns out not wired at all just window dressing.Think i may just hook it up to the battery and be done with it.Thanks for the insight and the prevention of frustration.