PDA

View Full Version : Fix-A-Flat

hschuchman
05-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Has anyone ever used Fix-A-Flat on their Spyder tires. If so, do you use the Fix-A-Flat for car tires or motorcycle tires?

Fatcycledaddy
05-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Most tire guys HATE fix a flat. You are better off using a tire sealant like Ride on, or the one that Lamont sells. These will seal the tire as soon as the puncture happens, usually keeping the tire from going flat. They also do not leave a horrible mess inside of the tire and allover the wheel for the tire guys to deal with.

Bob Denman
05-21-2018, 08:03 AM
...Tire plug kit here. :thumbup:
It's just enough to get me home, and buy the new tire that the bike needs.
I don't "slop-up" the inside of ANY of my tires. nojoke

Chupaca
05-21-2018, 09:47 AM
As much as I hated dealing with the tires folks gooped up in a bind fix-a-flat will get you home. Plug and pump is the way i go as anything you add to the inside of your tires will affect the balance maybe a little maybe alot...even if it is only till the stuff settles and your tire guy will HATE you...:roflblack:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-21-2018, 09:55 AM
i hate fix a flat when it comes in but i do understand if you have to use it, we charge $5 additional to clean it out

blacklightning
05-21-2018, 10:15 AM
I would not use fix a flat, or slime in a car or motorcycle tire, unless I am stranded with no other options. I do not want to gum up the rim and inside of the tire. But, slime is the go to thing for all my lawnmowers. I use that stuff instead of getting a tube anyday.

BajaRon
05-21-2018, 10:21 AM
I've used it before. Better than a sharp stick in the eye. But, of course, if the hole is much more than a nail or screw it won't work. Most patch kits will fall into this same category as well. Though they will patch a bigger hole than what Fix-a-Flat will do.

OK, as a last resort.

Mad Mac
05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
I myself use tire plugs, but I guess in a pinch, fix-a-flat would get me home also. I don't know if there is any truth to this but I've been told by tire shops, that some sealants are corrosive to wheels, don't know. Mac:dontknow:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-21-2018, 11:16 AM
I myself use tire plugs, but I guess in a pinch, fix-a-flat would get me home also. I don't know if there is any truth to this but I've been told by tire shops, that some sealants are corrosive to wheels, don't know. Mac:dontknow:
If it is an acid based stuff it can harm chrome wheels and tpms valves and pins & can gunk up the pressure hole in the sensor itself.

Mad Mac
05-21-2018, 11:53 AM
If it is an acid based stuff it can harm chrome wheels and tpms valves and pins & can gunk up the pressure hole in the sensor itself.
Yes:agree: with you on the issues it would cause w/tpms sensors. I know I used to use SLIME in my off-road m/c's and 4x4 trucks/Jeeps and the mess that stuff would make when popping the tires off the rims. I hope I never have to sit on the side of the road and try and find an air leak in a tire on the Spyder, just so I can put a plug in, might take a lot of SPIT!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Mac:thumbup: