PDA

View Full Version : Question About Painted Graphics

newbert
05-17-2018, 02:16 PM
I've decorated my Spyder a bit, but only with decals at this point. Now, I want to dress it up a bit more custom-wise and am considering having a local graphics shop do some work on it. While he does excellent work, he strictly works only with paint.

Is there any drawback to having paint applied to the Spyder? Would it last longer than decals? Can I still use the same cleaning products on the Spyder after having paint applied? To be clear, I'm talking about painted graphics only- not painting the whole Spyder.

Thanks!

Dmetcalf
05-17-2018, 04:22 PM
I've decorated my Spyder a bit, but only with decals at this point. Now, I want to dress it up a bit more custom-wise and am considering having a local graphics shop do some work on it. While he does excellent work, he strictly works only with paint.

Is there any drawback to having paint applied to the Spyder? Would it last longer than decals? Can I still use the same cleaning products on the Spyder after having paint applied? To be clear, I'm talking about painted graphics only- not painting the whole Spyder.

Thanks!

Not sure how well you can see the Spyder painted on my drunk but that is paint from an artist I found at the Lone Star motorcycle rally in Galveston last year. We really like it.

DGoebel
05-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Newbert, Check out this thread
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?105001-Sue-Hopper-is-painting-my-trike

She's done many, many Spyders with painted graphics. I've seen some several years old that still look new.

UtahPete
05-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Thanks!
This is a good question. I hope someone actually answers it!

One of the reasons I haven't done custom graphics is my concern about ease of removal should I go to sell it. I've seen custom painted Spyders on the market that, to me, are undesirable because of the custom graphics; the bike has become so personalized as to lose its appeal to a wider market.

newbert
05-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Newbert, Check out this thread
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?105001-Sue-Hopper-is-painting-my-trike

She's done many, many Spyders with painted graphics. I've seen some several years old that still look new.

Very, very talented lady - but that's absolutely NOT what I'm looking for. Frankly, I'm looking only for some custom pinstriping.

But, thanks for the info!

newbert
05-17-2018, 05:02 PM
This is a good question. I hope someone actually answers it!

One of the reasons I haven't done custom graphics is my concern about ease of removal should I go to sell it. I've seen custom painted Spyders on the market that, to me, are undesirable because of the custom graphics; the bike has become so personalized as to lose its appeal to a wider market.

Thanks for understanding one of my concerns about this, Pete, even though I didn't articulate it well. As mentioned in another post, I'm not looking for anything extreme - in fact the artist agreed with me that if anything is to be done, it should be "in moderation".

Even given that, are their other specific concerns/questions that I should discuss with him? ie - Does paint tend to fade faster than decals? What about cleaning/polishing after the work is done? So far, I've had no such issues regarding this with my decals, but it's only been about 10 months.

UtahPete
05-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Thanks for understanding one of my concerns about this, Pete, even though I didn't articulate it well. As mentioned in another post, I'm not looking for anything extreme - in fact the artist agreed with me that if anything is to be done, it should be "in moderation".

Even given that, are their other specific concerns/questions that I should discuss with him? ie - Does paint tend to fade faster than decals? What about cleaning/polishing after the work is done? So far, I've had no such issues regarding this with my decals, but it's only been about 10 months.
I believe paint is more durable than a vinyl decal ever could be. But, that's also the problem; how to get rid of it? Vinyl much easier.

I think what has turned me off are the 'murals' folks have done. Pin-striping, on the other hand, when done my a true artist, can enhance the lines of the bike, bring interesting color contrasts to it, without detracting from its universal appeal. I might have pin-striping done to mine at some point, but never murals.

Chupaca
05-17-2018, 05:54 PM
All graphic auto/bike painter use quality paints that are as good as the oem paints. All cleaner will work without damaging the artwork. The artist will tell you what harsh chemicals to avoid. The only one used on the spyder that will damage the work is brake fluid...:thumbup:

pegasus1300
05-17-2018, 05:55 PM
I have painted graphics on my Spyder and have had them since early in our relationship. Right after I got it I went to the Rat Fink (Ed Roth) reunion in Manti Ut and met Shane Syx an old line Rat Fink artist. I talked over what my vision for the Spyder was,he made some (very good) suggestions as to color and I walked away and came back 2 hours later. His work was so beautiful I could not believe it. The pin striping shows no sign of wear yet,is still bright and has stuck well to the base paint. In Sept at Red Rock Rally in St.George I met Jeff Dastrup a St.George artist. I had a Dragon design I copied out of a coloring in my trunk and asked him if he could put it on the new frunk lid( I hit a dog).He said yes,to come back in about 2 hrs and it would be done. It was. Not air brushed but hand painted 161239 Here you can see the art work. So far it hasn't faded, chipped, or lifted. You can see the pin stripping on the frunk in my signature picture from before I hit the dog.

There are always drawbacks to having something highly personal done to a vehicle,Spyder,boat' Hot Rod,whatever. That is the price you pay for that much individuality. I can not remove the paintwork I have had done without repainting the the whole machine,too costly. When I sell it or trade it in I'll just have to take the hit. I knew that going in and decided to go ahead anyway. You may be able to achieve your goal some other way. In the end it has to be your decision based on your personality.Right now this suits me. On the other hand having original artwork by great Kustom Kulture artists on my ride makes me feel really good every time I look at it. By its very nature this form of art is very temporary unless preserved in photos. The vehicles will get wrecked,sold,repainted or just fade away and lost nothing lasts for ever and that is another allure for me.
And that is the draw and drawback of original art. Its all up to you.

UtahPete
05-17-2018, 05:57 PM
I have painted graphics on my Spyder and have had them since early in our relationship. Right after I got it I went to the Rat Fink (Ed Roth) reunion in Manti Ut and met Shane Syx an old line Rat Fink artist. I talked over what my vision for the Spyder was,he made some (very good) suggestions as to color and I walked away and came back 2 hours later. His work was so beautiful I could not believe it. The pin striping shows no sign of wear yet,is still bright and has stuck well to the base paint. In Sept at Red Rock Rally in St.George I met Jeff Dastrup a St.George artist. I had a Dragon design I copied out of a coloring in my trunk and asked him if he could put it on the new frunk lid( I hit a dog).He said yes,to come back in about 2 hrs and it would be done. It was. Not air brushed but hand painted 161239 Here you can see the art work. So far it hasn't faded, chipped, or lifted. You can see the pin stripping on the frunk in my signature picture from before I hit the dog.
That's the pic you took in Leeds, UT, isn't it?

Bob Denman
05-17-2018, 05:57 PM
It's your bike: why worry about what some future buyers might think about it? :dontknow:
Enjoy your bike to the fullest: let the future worry about itself! nojoke

pegasus1300
05-17-2018, 06:17 PM
That's the pic you took in Leeds, UT, isn't it?

Yes it is Pete. Good memory

UtahPete
05-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Yes it is Pete. Good memory
Off topic, but where you going to be on the 24th this month?