PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped Spyder Ryders.....Roll call!

Jumper35
05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.

fastfraser
05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
welcome :spyder2:On dude :thumbup:

Where abouts in Ontario do you :spyder2:.

zzneonzz
05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.

Being a disabled rider my entire life I have never been able to ride till the spyder. When one of my coworkers told me about it I had to look it up and see for myself. I've now got right at 8000 wonderfull miles on the open road and it was definately a dream come true for me.

I'm so glad to see that there are many disabled riders on the road for the first time or veteran riders back on the road again!!!!

Jumper35
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm in frigid Northern Ontario.....Sudbury to be exact. We're not having the best start to the summer here, but I have hope for sunny days ahead.

RoHo
05-29-2009, 01:23 PM

Jumper,
I'm confined to a wheelchair also. I own a 2009 SE5 that I have added floorboards and a hand operated brake. I'm currently working on my wheelchair rack (side mount). When it's complete, I'll be happy to share. You mentioned rerouting filler caps. Does this include the gas tank, and if so, how did you do it??? Thanks and ride safe. :thumbup:

Roho

Jumper35
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Jumper,
I'm confined to a wheelchair also. I own a 2009 SE5 that I have added floorboards and a hand operated brake. I'm currently working on my wheelchair rack (side mount). When it's complete, I'll be happy to share. You mentioned rerouting filler caps. Does this include the gas tank, and if so, how did you do it??? Thanks and ride safe. :thumbup:

Roho

Roho

Check out the pics in the the thread "My Unique Mods" in the My Spyder Mods forum. The filler cap is located in a way that you do not have to get off the bike to fuel up. My mechanical abilities are limited, so I had a friend do the fabrication.

aubierules
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
also a handi....have been riding 2 wheel bikes for 25 yrs or so, but to the point where 3 is much safer....balance and all...

effgjamis
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
welcome:2thumbs::spyder:

I think it is wonderful that the spyder provides riding in the wind once again for all.
I am a bit handicaped, but not disabled to the point of being confined to a wheel chair.
Speaking of having a disability, I may have that afterall. Mental Disability..:joke: Does that count?? :joke:

Star Cruiser
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM

I guess the Spyder has made me "RE-abled". Yes, I have to agree it certainly made ryding again an easier reality. I would have done all kinds of mods on a two wheeler, but this is perfect, practically "out of the box". Maybe see you riding sometime soon, I am up that way quite often.

Lamonster
05-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?

dltang
05-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?

Hey Lamont, I could give them my member handle and they could be Very Handy Members.

vt228
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
1,free ryders, :clap:
free at last thank you BRP free at last to feel the wind in ower faces
2, freedum ryders:gaah:
3, D.F.R. Disable Freedom Ryders;)
4, D.S.R. Disable Spyder Ryders

welcome and have funn guys
Don......:ohyea:

RoHo
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Roho

Check out the pics in the the thread "My Unique Mods" in the My Spyder Mods forum. The filler cap is located in a way that you do not have to get off the bike to fuel up. My mechanical abilities are limited, so I had a friend do the fabrication.

:2thumbs: Jumper,
Looked at your other thread. I have to say, your friend did a FANTASTIC job for you on those mods. The gascap looks fantastic, but how did he connect on the gas tank? Did he punch a new hole or use the existing opening and what about heat build up since it's right above the engine? Happy riding!!!! :clap:
Roho

Grumpy
05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
I know there's someone in my area, but I don't know who it is. I'd like to meet him/her. I only know because I know the mechanic who installed their handbrake. Maybe I'll see them at the dealer open house this weekend? I should make some cards with the spyderlovers website on it, in case there's people who don't know about this great forum.

SethO
05-30-2009, 12:43 AM
handicrapped section label would be fine with me. Wish the spyder would had another 30 hp, its just not fast enough with the wheelchair on it. it is something to do for sure, I don't what you can do in a wheelchair so do it up.

SethO
05-30-2009, 02:57 AM
we should do a meet and greet sometime, looks like most are from the middle of the states and canada so we should all figure a good central meeting place that is fun to ride to. I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to travel multiple days ( bowel program, pressure sores crap like that) but I can make a 2 day run no problem. if someone wants to orgainze where everyone is from and where the best place I would help out.

mike3069
05-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Howdy all!

I'm a member of this club. Left A/K amp with nerve damage in my Left shoulder/arm.

Thanks to Lamonster for giving us a place to talk about how to best use our "left-over ability's."

And I think the Forum name is just dandy, also.

Jumper35
05-30-2009, 01:59 PM
:2thumbs: Jumper,
Looked at your other thread. I have to say, your friend did a FANTASTIC job for you on those mods. The gascap looks fantastic, but how did he connect on the gas tank? Did he punch a new hole or use the existing opening and what about heat build up since it's right above the engine? Happy riding!!!! :clap:
Roho

Roho,
Here is a pic of the routing. This is not a mod I would recommend doing without an experienced mechanic. The routing used the existing opening and with about 1000k on my machine seems to be working very well.

RoHo
05-30-2009, 02:37 PM
:2thumbs: Thanks Jumper! I've found my next mod. Looks great and sooo simple. A definit must for those of us with disabilities. :clap::clap:

Roho

RoHo
05-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Lamont,
I think that is a fantastic idea. I think you should call it something like the Handicap Corner. The fact is "What is, is" and there isn't anything we can do to change that. There's an old saying, "You can call me what ever you want just don't call me late for dinner." It doesn't matter what other people call us. What is important is what we think about ourselves, and I think anyone that has the drive to do what those members of this forum are doing (regaining another facet of our lost freedom) is going to be acclimataed to who and what they are. Hope I'm not rolling on anyone's toes, but that's the way I feel. For the rest of you on this forum with handicaps - KUDO's for you. I'm proud of your gumtion.
Roho

Wheelz
05-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Now, can you remove the other panel so we can see how its connected to the fill cap? I'm wondering if you're using flexible fuel line? Now was that "elbow" on the original filler hole just siliconed in? Or did you thread that plastic elbow to screw on to it? One more, what about venting? The original gas cap is a vented..what about your setup?

Roho,
Here is a pic of the routing. This is not a mod I would recommend doing without an experienced mechanic. The routing used the existing opening and with about 1000k on my machine seems to be working very well.

SethO
05-30-2009, 11:32 PM
here is a much more simple way to get the same thing I have almost 6k on this setup and it works fine for a pay at the pump I have to back up at an angle to get the card in because of reach and balance issues but yeah, just cut the plastic behind the seat. the top of the seat shows a little rip but that is the price you pay for a non handicrapp gas cap setup.

forgot to add this cost nothing to do, just cut the seat when it was up with a "something" covering the bike can use side cutter of some sort.

obiwanbill
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Great, a section for us Handicapped (nothing wrong with that term). I have a wheelchair rack welded onto a tow bar and a hand brake, all courtesy of Jimmy Mels Monster Garage in Roseville MI. 586.822.9815:2thumbs:

SethO
06-01-2009, 12:03 AM
do you have any trouble with your cable handbrake system fading? mine does but the foot brake people say works great on my bike. If I could get a full list for a hydralic one in front of me I would order one up.

Lamonster
06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
do you have any trouble with your cable handbrake system fading? mine does but the foot brake people say works great on my bike. If I could get a full list for a hydralic one in front of me I would order one up.

What I have found on the brakes on the Spyder is you do not get full stopping power from the first push of the pedal. Magic Man has been doing some testing on that too. If you pump it once the pedal comes up higher than the first pump. Not sure why that is.

If I'm going to use my hand brake only I give myself a little extra room to stop and I pump it twice. I still have it in the back on my head that cables break and I hope that ISCI will have their hydraulic system done soon because that will be the hot setup. :thumbup:

Lamonster
06-01-2009, 06:33 AM
here is a much more simple way to get the same thing I have almost 6k on this setup and it works fine for a pay at the pump I have to back up at an angle to get the card in because of reach and balance issues but yeah, just cut the plastic behind the seat. the top of the seat shows a little rip but that is the price you pay for a non handicrapp gas cap setup.

forgot to add this cost nothing to do, just cut the seat when it was up with a "something" covering the bike can use side cutter of some sort.

I like it. :2thumbs:

effgjamis
06-01-2009, 07:40 AM

How about " SpyderChallengers "

Lamonster
06-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Name has been chosen. "Enabled SpyderLovers" :doorag:

SethO
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
thanks for the info, can' really use the footbrake so the comparision is hard, It does happen where the handle will go to the bar and when "aggressive" riding thru the corners I may not have time to pump this, with the limit on how much I can put into corning without worring about some damn deer in the road on the other side of the apex.

Frustrating because if I need I had a positive lock on the braking I could get more out of the spyder, also sucks being behind a rider thru the twists and they stall up or go in and slow to have to dick up your line and brake with a pump, that is at least 10 ft traveled in the time I need to get a good grab on the brakes.

I am getting new pads for the thing ordered today, do you have to get them from a dealer or is there a place on the net to get them? see if that helps,

The parking brake is also ass, I am sure that everyone in this section knows, taking your wheelchair off and then damn thing starts rolling, POS design.

RoadHammer
06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
thanks for the info, can' really use the footbrake so the comparision is hard, It does happen where the handle will go to the bar and when "aggressive" riding thru the corners I may not have time to pump this, with the limit on how much I can put into corning without worring about some damn deer in the road on the other side of the apex.

Frustrating because if I need I had a positive lock on the braking I could get more out of the spyder, also sucks being behind a rider thru the twists and they stall up or go in and slow to have to dick up your line and brake with a pump, that is at least 10 ft traveled in the time I need to get a good grab on the brakes.

I am getting new pads for the thing ordered today, do you have to get them from a dealer or is there a place on the net to get them? see if that helps,

The parking brake is also ass, I am sure that everyone in this section knows, taking your wheelchair off and then damn thing starts rolling, POS design.
Seth, put a handle on top of the e brake and push down to put em on before you get off your ride... My ride is almost done, will put pics when done.. I used the lamont style brakes with some minor design change.. I can smoke my tires on the spot, my brakes work perty darn good..

and slow down Setho........ he he he..

Wheelz
06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
I did some research on putting a fill cap on the outside as how jumper did it.

The fill cap that Jumper used is commonly used in the boating industry. It's called a "Deck Fill". The specs are the outside ID of the fill cap is 3" and the tubing size to connect to the the original filler neck is 1.5".

You can either use an ABS 90 deg. elbow and silicone in the fittings OR (this is what I'm planning to use) Silicon Tubing (commonly used on cars for intercoolers or radiator connections) Since it's plyable, you can just hose clamp on the connection to the original fill neck and get a good seal.
You would need this:

-90 degree or a 45 deg "vent" elbow to go from the original fill neck 1.5" of the deck fill.

-Deck fill cap
-1.5 Silicon hose to go from the elbow reducer to your new filler cap.
-good quality hose clamps for silicone to get a good seal.

SethO
06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Seth, put a handle on top of the e brake and push down to put em on before you get off your ride... My ride is almost done, will put pics when done.. I used the lamont style brakes with some minor design change.. I can smoke my tires on the spot, my brakes work perty darn good..

I will slow down when I get better or I can't move anymore, and I can engage the parking brake it just doesn't do **** but make noise, I adjusted the the cable can you adjust more to get the rear caliper to really do something?

got the third rear tire on today and the rear fender is coming off, F that thing.

ataDude
06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
... can you adjust more to get the rear caliper to really do something?..

Yes. At the rear brake, remove the nut that holds swiveling arm of the parking brake. Rotate the arm a few notches and then replace the nut.

SethO
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
awsome thanks man, will try that tommorow.

aubierules
06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Name has been chosen. "Enabled SpyderLovers" :doorag:
thanks Lamonster...u da man! and u non handis are welcome here too:roflblack:

Jumper35
06-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I did some research on putting a fill cap on the outside as how jumper did it.

The fill cap that Jumper used is commonly used in the boating industry. It's called a "Deck Fill". The specs are the outside ID of the fill cap is 3" and the tubing size to connect to the the original filler neck is 1.5".

You can either use an ABS 90 deg. elbow and silicone in the fittings OR (this is what I'm planning to use) Silicon Tubing (commonly used on cars for intercoolers or radiator connections) Since it's plyable, you can just hose clamp on the connection to the original fill neck and get a good seal.
You would need this:

-90 degree or a 45 deg Silicon elbow to go from the original fill neck. Remeber you have to reduce the size of the fill neck (2.25") to 1.5" of the deck fill.

-Deck fill cap
-1.5 Silicon hose to go from the elbow reducer to your new filler cap.
-good quality hose clamps for silicone to get a good seal.

Wheelz, you hit the nail on the head.

ISCI Billy
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
My company offers many items that help those who need help riding there Spyder. Take a look at www.industrialspecialty.com (http://www.industrialspecialty.com)

Wheelz
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey Billy,

How about making that filler neck for us? ;) This ABS plastic doesnt quite do it...not enough clearance, specifically where the elbow sits....something that can screw into the original hole and the pipe/neck have slip joints so we can adjust the angles...I'd say 2 to 3 sections...

Pilo
06-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Hey Ferno:

Could you send us some pics of your park brake mods? :helpsmilie:

I am a left AKA and will need to do some mods to my SE5.

Thanks in advance. :2thumbs:

Pilo

(Limitations only exist on your mind)

OldBiker
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I too a leg movment challanged. How did you get the hand brake intalled?

jimmykjimmy
07-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I have peripheral neuropathy which causes numbness in both my feet. Unfortunately, with a conventional motorcycle is very difficult for me to shift. Consequently, I purchased a Honda Silver wing about four years ago. However, my wife is never felt comfortable with me putting both feet on the ground when I have stopped.

My wife was excited to see the new spyder. For a matter of fact, she was so excited that she went down to the dealer to look at the bike herself. She was impressed with the safety features, and also the fact that I did not have to put my feet on the ground after stopping. For a matter of fact, she is insisting that I trade in the Honda Silver wing and buy the spyder is soonest possible.

I greatly appreciated reading the comments from some of the handicapped spider riders. It only confirms that the purchase of a spyder is in the very near future. I will be testing one within the next couple of weeks.

CRUCIFIED
07-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I am not a handicapped rider but my wife is a handicapped passenger. She was diagnosed with M.S. back in 2002 and is virtually unable to walk. We have managed to lift her up onto the seat and get her in a fixed position but her energy level only permits her to ride with me for about 10 min or so. The real challenge has been keeping her feet on the pegs w/o them slipping off.

I must say, based on her reaction to the ride, that a spyder must be a really awesome experience for those of you who have been able to adapt the spyder to your particular needs. This is especially true if ones activities are/were limited on a regular basis.

Three wheels are awesome! If this vehicle required the balance of a 2 wheeler,she wouldnt be able to ride with me at all.

I am sooooooooo thankful for the opportunity to own one.:2thumbs:

RoadHammer
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
you can easily mount a piece of checkered plate on the passenger pegs using the factory holes that keep the rubber piece on.... and use a strap to keep her foot on the board. It's great that she can ride with you, even if it's only for a short time.

Cheers:congrats:

BumbleBee
07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I am not a Handicapped rider. I am so impressed how you worked around your mods to be able to ride again. That is a challenge!! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::congrats::congrats::co ngrats:

CRUCIFIED
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Thank you for the input. Ken (krb1945) is helping me out with this as we speak.

:clap::bowdown:Jesus

palehorsevt
08-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Some may remember my list of questions a few months back. After a few mods and 1200 miles i feel comfortable enough to make a comment on the bike, AWESOME!!!!! It took abit to get use to the new riding style(trike) but after the first 700 miles i became very comfortable and really enjoy being in the wind again. I have been riding since 5, except for the years of hospital time due to Iraq, and now ride her like I stole her. The feeling of being in the wind again is impossible to explain....

I'd like to thank you for the name "Enabled SpyderLovers". I don't see myself as Handicapped, disabled etc. I may have been slowed down but I can still live a full life. Thank you again for honoring our dedication to return to riding with a title that reflects the attitudes of the men/women that ride them.

Be safe.....

Lamonster
08-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Some may remember my list of questions a few months back. After a few mods and 1200 miles i feel comfortable enough to make a comment on the bike, AWESOME!!!!! It took abit to get use to the new riding style(trike) but after the first 700 miles i became very comfortable and really enjoy being in the wind again. I have been riding since 5, except for the years of hospital time due to Iraq, and now ride her like I stole her. The feeling of being in the wind again is impossible to explain....

I'd like to thank you for the name "Enabled SpyderLovers". I don't see myself as Handicapped, disabled etc. I may have been slowed down but I can still live a full life. Thank you again for honoring our dedication to return to riding with a title that reflects the attitudes of the men/women that ride them.

Be safe.....
:congrats:
When I was trying to come up with a name for this board I didn't feel any other name fit you guys better. Is good to have you here and thank you for your service in Iraq. You guys and gals hold a special place in my heart.:thumbup:

krb1945
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
a very special place in my ole heart too! As does my grandson who is serving in the Marine Corps. Your sacrifices are not going un-noticed by me and millions of other patriotic Americans.

I salute each and everyone of you and to all of you a big "Semper FI" .

cooldoi
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
hi everyone,
Another new spyder owner!! Handicapped of course. Got "slaughtered" on a suzuki 1100!! Shoud have my spyder up and running next week,.
Will keep in touch.
Martin in NYC!!;)

krb1945
08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
on joining the spyder riders group. If you are ever in north central FL and need any help call me 770 780 9084 and welcome aboard!

I got mangled a few years back on a V65 Sabre... thing turned me every which way but lose. Managed to get everything repaired... lucky in that respect... I can still ride a two wheeler too!

Glad to see you didn't let it get you down.

Jeffsm69
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Another Left A/K Amp, happened in 2005 when a tractor trailer cut across the double yellow and caught me on the knee cap. I am thrilled with my new SE5, I rode a Suzuki quad for awhile, but nothing beats the open road. :2thumbs:

Star Cruiser
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Another Left A/K Amp, happened in 2005 when a tractor trailer cut across the double yellow and caught me on the knee cap. I am thrilled with my new SE5, I rode a Suzuki quad for awhile, but nothing beats the open road. :2thumbs:
Welcome to the Cluster.
I am allergic to Monte Carlos. AKA left leg went with him and his bumper. Lucky to be alive (he wasn't so lucky)
The SE5 was a perfect fit and the only mod was a 2" extension on the parking brake. Hope to see you around at one of the events. I am in the Toronto area in Ontario, Canada

canchess
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi, my name is Kim. I pick it up next week. I'm a t 4/5 para. I dont have an y mods yet. Want to get it hometo my garage. All i can say is i went to look at it and popped right on. So i went for it. I live one cape cod ma. Anyone want to pass valualble info so i can get set up quic as i can and ride, that would be awesome! I've been riding an Atv suzuki king quad (94) since 94! On the road i might add! Thank you all, Kim
im so stoked its crazy---theres been not much to live for--so boring and nothing much to look forward to. I can ride with a whole bunch of Able bodies:2excited::chat::doorag::2thumbs::clap::pray :

Lamonster
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi, my name is Kim. I pick it up next week. I'm a t 4/5 para. I dont have an y mods yet. Want to get it hometo my garage. All i can say is i went to look at it and popped right on. So i went for it. I live one cape cod ma. Anyone want to pass valualble info so i can get set up quic as i can and ride, that would be awesome! I've been riding an Atv suzuki king quad (94) since 94! On the road i might add! Thank you all, Kim
im so stoked its crazy---theres been not much to live for--so boring and nothing much to look forward to. I can ride with a whole bunch of Able bodies:2excited::chat::doorag::2thumbs::clap::pray :
welcome

retread
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
:congrats:welcome have fun, ryde safe.

john

RoHo
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Kim,
My first suggestions would be to look at NMN's 4" risers: ISCI's hydraulic hand brake and floorboards. I'm using the Corbin seat with a 2" Roho wheelchair cushion. Working like a charm. Good luck!
Monte

racketdave
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
have designed and patent wheelchair rack ,check out my pics david ,i"ll get you out there.

bjt
10-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey Dave- nice meeting you in TN:thumbup:

+1

racketdave
10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
nice meeting all in gatlinburg, spread the word of my wheelchair rack ,brake,footrests,shifter ,selling kits, always designing to perfect ,want to get challenged riders out there, call me email me ,been riding 19 years ,in wheelchair 24y ,been around development on all handicap products,can make anything titanium ,all metals ,but now keeping cost down to get you out riding thanks david web site soon ,#7276428536 lets talk .? i"m t4 para so yes you can do it .

HotWheels
01-22-2010, 01:22 AM
welcome
I have been off the site for awhile but I am glad to see that there have been some improvements. Glad to see more riders who are not willing to quite just cause of a misfortune. Well keep riding hope to see you on the road soon!!!

palehorsevt
01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Do to military service In iraq I have found myself wheelchair bound. No boo hoo's I rode my ass off this summer and am loving every aspect of the spyder. To all those out there back in the wind, welcome.

Thanks for having a section dedicated to us and calling it enabled. i see the abilities left in my not the disabilities.....Be safe all.

srarndt
03-10-2010, 01:01 PM
You Enabled SpyderLovers rock! It is inspirational to follow all that you're doing to keep riding. :2thumbs:

My challenge is Parkinson's. Losing my balance to it led me to abandon my 2 wheel riding. (Started falling over too often, lol.) Fortunately within a year later CanAm rolled out an answer to that problem. Premier Edition #249 has since been "my faithful companion".

There's not much in the way of hardware for my Spyder that helps as my PD progresses (have a throttle lock and wrist rest) and as my meds are becoming less effective. So next up I investigate hardware for my head: DBS (electrodes deeply embedded in the brain with a control unit in my chest.) I have a passion for riding and intend to do what ever it takes to stay on 3 wheels as long as possible. :ohyea:

Keep on riding!

PS: LaMonster - thanks for this forum!

Star Cruiser
03-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Do to military service In iraq I have found myself wheelchair bound. No boo hoo's I rode my ass off this summer and am loving every aspect of the spyder. To all those out there back in the wind, welcome.

Thanks for having a section dedicated to us and calling it enabled. I see the abilities left in my life - not the disabilities.....Be safe all.

Amen Brother!

dewie
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
this site rocks,
last year on my Hayabusa I had a garbage truck turn in front of me with no signal lights or turn signals. ended up breaking 5 vertibra and became a T3 para. To be honest as a two wheeled rider I hated the looks of the spyder but now its the only way and with all the accesories the possibilities are endless. I may not be dragging a knee but its wind thru my hair

I now have a 09 SE5 sitting in my garage. and I have to thank you enabled guys for forging the way and making all the accesories for these bikes. I just ordered the handbrake kit and floorboard kit from Industrial specialties. Can't wait to get rolling again.

Cool site you have here, you have a new lurker. :2thumbs:

retired1
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
welcome and :congrats: on the RS. You are right, there are quite a few enabled riders that will be more than willing to help you with suggestions and solutions to make your :spyder2: work for you.
Good luck!

frozenracoon
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
hi folks

i'm new to this stuff being still classified as a quasi able bodied rider. i need sticks to walk and have been just told yesterday i will need a walker as my illness progresses.
i use two canes to move about for very short distances like in the house. i switch to long distance "touring" :Dcrutches, which are collapsible like my canes. the walker also folds somewhat.

here's my question (finally)...how will i be able to carry my walker on my soon to be purchased 2011 RT?

i ride two up with my wife and do not want a triler. i will need to carry my canes (which when folded fit in the front trunk) and the walker. the unit is a larger pce to handle my svelte 250 lb frame:yikes:.
we looked at the RS with the givi bags and such but my wife found the riding position much more comfortable and so did i preferring a touring bar to a straight bar.

we thought we were going to have to give up riding but this machine has saved the day for us. i've been riding for over 50 yrs and am not ready to throw in the towel yet. hell i even rode an old indian scout around in vietnam until it was shot out from under me.

any and all advice is very much appreciated.

thanks...

rob (NEVER give up!!)

Lindsey Angell
05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Now that my parents ain't 'round to SPANK ME... I say taint nuthin wrong with bein called Crippled. Crippled is a great word, as it goes way back before we had "Politically Correct" words that we are suppose to have to use.
My disability was pushed to the front with the aid of a Neurosurgeon who insisted that I had to have back surgery (Lamenectomy) Fusion and cages immediately or suffer permanant paralysis below the waist. Now I hope to find the finances to get a Spider. After selling my Dirt bike, Ninja and Cruiser, not to mention my ATV, I NEED the SPYDER to get out adn get back on the road, to maintain the trike like I did my bikes. Polish the bottom end as I did the top end and have something I can do all the time when I have nothing but spare time on my hands (Nearly always.)
I can hardly wait to get the RT and fill not only the bags but the gas tank as I ride stop for the night and ride.....fropm coast to coast using various US Highways and State highways...avoiding the Interstates like the Plague! There are some great people in this country, and some great scenery from coast to coast that you completley bypass when you are cruising at 75MPH on any SuperSlab.

RoadHammer
05-19-2010, 12:06 AM
you'll be able mount your walker somewhere in the rear if you get the trailer hitch installed.

hi folks

i'm new to this stuff being still classified as a quasi able bodied rider. i need sticks to walk and have been just told yesterday i will need a walker as my illness progresses.
i use two canes to move about for very short distances like in the house. i switch to long distance "touring" :Dcrutches, which are collapsible like my canes. the walker also folds somewhat.

here's my question (finally)...how will i be able to carry my walker on my soon to be purchased 2011 RT?

i ride two up with my wife and do not want a triler. i will need to carry my canes (which when folded fit in the front trunk) and the walker. the unit is a larger pce to handle my svelte 250 lb frame:yikes:.
we looked at the RS with the givi bags and such but my wife found the riding position much more comfortable and so did i preferring a touring bar to a straight bar.

we thought we were going to have to give up riding but this machine has saved the day for us. i've been riding for over 50 yrs and am not ready to throw in the towel yet. hell i even rode an old indian scout around in vietnam until it was shot out from under me.

any and all advice is very much appreciated.

thanks...

rob (NEVER give up!!)

frozenracoon
05-20-2010, 02:49 AM
my wife and i went to the dealership again today to further check out the RT-S in more detail. after reading the posts on this site and checking many of the pics, i also felt the best place for the walker would be at the rear of the machine. there is a company out there that offers a platform frame for a cooler which attaches to a trailer hitch ala goldwings. i believe in the form of a "slide in hitch receptacle".
a few years ago a friend used this product to carry his golf clubs. with a little modification this would be the way to go for me.

the salesman also suggested i not use the trunk or front cargo area for the sticks, instead securing them like you would fishing rods along the sides near the rear hand grips with the handle held in place with rubber friction hooks. that way i won't need to shlep my awkward support crutches along. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF ADDING AN AFTERMARKET (oops, sorry) or custom topcase rack. i carried my canes that way on my goldwings and ST1100'S in that manner.

i've noted many additions and mods may of you have made and hope to add some of them to our spyder as well. eg...handbrake, floor boards, hiway pegs (maybe) and a driver backrest to begin.:2excited:

for those spyder ryders in toronto and gta, there is apparently test ride day at ontario place in a couple of weeks. sue and i plan to attend. perhaps we'll get to meet some of you folks.

cheers all

rob....NEVER give up!!

FSUGrad
11-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I sometimes use an electric wheelchair, often use a manual chair and for short distances use a cane. I tire easily as walking is more mental than physical due to a spinal injury and thought that I had to give up open air riding forever. After much research, trips to look at "accessible" motorcycles and cycles with wheelchair sidecars, I settled on my Spyder. It is only a month old and I have 1,000 miles on it already and can't wait for spring to plan a long ride. If anyone in central Ohio wants to join up, drop me a line. :D

Pict
12-18-2010, 04:58 PM
You Enabled SpyderLovers rock! It is inspirational to follow all that you're doing to keep riding. :2thumbs:

My challenge is Parkinson's. Losing my balance to it led me to abandon my 2 wheel riding. I have a passion for riding and intend to do what ever it takes to stay on 3 wheels as long as possible. :ohyea:

Keep on riding!

PS: LaMonster - thanks for this forum!

Just to say hello, and concur with the above. I too have PD (diagnosed 5 years ago - affects balance, mental clarity and right side coordination/dexterity) and at the age of 63 intend to enjoy life as long as possible. Picked up a 2008 GS SE5 (phantom black) with about 5000 miles on the clock about a month ago, and am getting used to having only the one brake control - I've almost learned to relax and enjoy. LeoVince SBK adds to the rebel spirit!

Still a bit nervous of running costs on a pension, and of Spyder reliability, but let's see......

Located in the UK, some 30 miles north of London, I'm sadly a bit far from the crowd of you, but glad to have found a forum with the right atmosphere, and will try to be a useful member.

Ttyl.

Ian

JJW SpyderRider
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Just to say hello, and concur with the above. I too have PD (diagnosed 5 years ago - affects balance, mental clarity and right side coordination/dexterity) and at the age of 63 intend to enjoy life as long as possible. Picked up a 2008 GS SE5 (phantom black) with about 5000 miles on the clock about a month ago, and am getting used to having only the one brake control - I've almost learned to relax and enjoy. LeoVince SBK adds to the rebel spirit!

Still a bit nervous of running costs on a pension, and of Spyder reliability, but let's see......

Located in the UK, some 30 miles north of London, I'm sadly a bit far from the crowd of you, but glad to have found a forum with the right atmosphere, and will try to be a useful member.

Ttyl.

Ian

welcome It's good to hear you don't give up to PD and keep on riding. I spent the first week of November in London on vacation, had a great time with the family. Best of luck in the new year.

Big Bird
12-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I haven't a clue if I 'qualify' for Handicapable... I have the blue tags for my two pickups... so here is My deal:
Both knees replaced
Degen Arthritis in back, 100% by virtue of unemployability
per the VA... actual is 80%
Lots of other stuff, but not physically limiting,
mostly dealing with pain issues...
Glenn of the Big Bird clan:spyder::2excited::shemademe_smilie::ohyea:

Arthur---Mexico
12-22-2010, 02:17 AM
I guess you could say I have walking problems because I'm pretty old and my knees are giving me a fit AND I don't want to be operated again. I've had my fill of needles and all. Consequently I developed a manually operated parking brake that got me out of trouble when applying the parking brake because I could do it without dismounting my Spyder. Maybe you can use one? xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx I also made floor boards for my feet and the RH one rocks and applies the foot brake. That I am not commercializing on becaue it is costly and difficult to install. So that's what I didto keep me going easily. Arthur---Mexico City

Star Cruiser
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
I guess you could say I have walking problems because I'm pretty old and my knees are giving me a fit AND I don't want to be operated again. I've had my fill of needles and all. Consequently I developed a manually operated parking brake that got me out of trouble when applying the parking brake because I could do it without dismounting my Spyder. Maybe you can use one? xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx I also made floor boards for my feet and the RH one rocks and applies the foot brake. That I am not commercializing on becaue it is costly and difficult to install. So that's what I didto keep me going easily. Arthur---Mexico City

Let me attest to how well the parking brake lever works. I LOVE it. With my Left AKA it was difficult to depress the parking brake. When I had to get off of the Spyder on a hill, I'd have to roll for a second or two (at the best of times) before stomping on the brake. The lever works like a charm!

Pict
12-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Sounds good - must look into it. On the same track, has anyone fitted a line lock to their hydraulics as a backup parking brake? See http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-Line-Lock-Valve-complete-Mounting-bkt-/160433634425?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255a96fc79 for the sort of thing I mean.

nanaskids
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Was diagnosed with Lumbar Polio at the very young age of 9 mos. From then to the age of 5 I used crutches and wore braces. After surgery at the age of 5, I was told that I could lead a normal life, be a normal kid, do the normal things like, run, jump, swim, i.e., be active. Upon entering my late 50's, I notice that I was falling more and stumbling . . now am diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, which is basically a new term that many drs. are notfamiliar with. In short, I've worn myself out and will progressively get weaker.

Tried to ride a 2-wheeler, but was unable to use my left foot to shift with and was afraid that when I came to a stop that my legs wouldn't hold up.

Needless to say, my dh saw the Spyder at a trade show, we went to investigate at a dealer close by and I was bitten by the Spyder and now have Spyder virus!!! My Spyder has allowed me to get out and ride with no fears and I am proud to say that, Yes, I'm limited as to what I can on the ground, but on my Spyder, I'm as able as anyone else":2thumbs:.

09 SE5 Red
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Hello all :spyder2: Lovers:2excited:. I have just taken delivery of my brand new SE5 :spyder2:. Thought that I would bring this thread alive and let you all know that we have a new Spyder Lover with a disability riding around California. Is their anyone local that would like to ride or local Spyder Riding Club's? That includes all Spyder riders to.

SteveMac
05-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome to your Spyder love affair...it gets you and doesn't let go!
:congrats::welcome:

Luziman
08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but whatthehell, I'm just excited. I'm a left above knee amputee (LAKA), just healing enough to ride now. I'm 46yo and have been a lifelong daily rider. I currently own a couple rigid Harleys and a couple Nortons, and enough scraps to build another something. I build (or teardown/rebuild) everything I've ever ridden. I know I can, and eventually will, adapt my bikes to fit me. I have things from electric shifters to Ghost Wheels. But you know what? BRP put something out that I can ride today with NO adaptation necessary. I don't even need a working prosthesis to get the wind in my face. I'm purchasing a red 2011 RT-S SE5 from Cowtown @ middle of August 2011. This is safest option for the money. I've never purchased a new ride, ever, but this Spyder got the better of me. I read enough good things in general about the Spyders, so I'm confident I made the right decision. My wife is all the way supportive of it, also. Although I'm fortunate enough to have no need to modify the Spyder, I'm grateful for this forum. I'm so new at the one leg thing that I get all excited when I find another amp like me anywhere. I've noticed a few in here. Maybe someday I'll have something to contribute, but in the meantime I'll be here soaking up the info on these pages. Thank you for being here.

Oz Spyder
09-04-2011, 05:34 AM
have designed and patent wheelchair rack ,check out my pics david ,i"ll get you out there.

Hi racket ave, was wondering if you could post some photos of your wheelchair rack as I can't seem to find them! Cheers mate

acinpcola
09-04-2011, 09:20 AM
:cheers: 100% disabled vet here, I switched to the Spyder RT S this year when my legs could no longer keep my goldwing stable at stops. Although my disabilities stem from my naval career, I would do it all again, no questions asked.

:thumbup: for the Spyder for it allows me to keep my face in the wind.

Be Safe All
AC:spyder2:

retiredsquid
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
:cheers: 100% disabled vet here, I switched to the Spyder RT S this year when my legs could no longer keep my goldwing stable at stops. Although my disabilities stem from my naval career, I would do it all again, no questions asked.

:thumbup: for the Spyder for it allows me to keep my face in the wind.

Be Safe All
AC:spyder2:

I am in the same boat as you are Chief. Adds up to 140% and classified unemployable. We got the Spyder for the exact same reasons. The Spyder extends our time that we can ryde together a number of years since my wife is way younger than me. Plus, I have a place to put my folding cane on the days I need it.

markjperry
10-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi racket ave, was wondering if you could post some photos of your wheelchair rack as I can't seem to find them! Cheers mate

I'm not sure if your the one who contacted me in regards to a wheelchair mount for the Spyder? Unfortunately I broke my leg and it has delayed the final phase of creating a more universal mount for a folding wheelchair onto an RS or RS S. I should be back on my Spyder soon working with the machine shop to install the final bracket. Do what you need to do but if you can hold on for another month, you may be able to have complete independence with your Spyder with a mount that required extremely little lifting and quick on/off for the WC. More about me is posted in this forum. I may be new to the game, but I've got a great product for not a lot of money. Good luck

Boomer2
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone, I am a left AKA for about 9 yrs now. Still having to use canes to get around but hey I get around! When my husband showed me the spyder for the first time I smiled which seems to be a familiar reaction to them. Well I am bitten by the spyder bug and am learning to drive it now. Can't wait to get my license. Our GA riders met last month and what a great bunch of folks!!Looking forward to more rides and meets. Thank you everyone for your ideas and inspirations!
Diana

harleyRick
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
I really enjoy this site I hear perfectly healthy people complain about something not being right or comfortable and then I check in on you guys and I'm so touched by the way y'all overcome thing to be able to do what you love. Hooray!!! you guys are heroes in my book.:firstplace: I don't hear complaints here I just see results !!!! :clap::clap:

RoHo
10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone, I am a left AKA for about 9 yrs now. Still having to use canes to get around but hey I get around! When my husband showed me the spyder for the first time I smiled which seems to be a familiar reaction to them. Well I am bitten by the spyder bug and am learning to drive it now. Can't wait to get my license. Our GA riders met last month and what a great bunch of folks!!Looking forward to more rides and meets. Thank you everyone for your ideas and inspirations!
Diana

:clap: Welcome to our world!!! Drive safe and smile!

RoHo

Desert Spyder
10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
My SIL is a quad C5 after a diving accident at his wedding reception on June 16. What you enabled riders have done is nothing short of huge, if not a miracle. But you guys are an extreme minority. How many would even attempt to do what you do from the "elgible candidates" of former bikers, let alone Spyder ryders, I do not know. Now here's my question: how many enabled passengers are there on this forum? I don't expect Daniel to operate my RT. He has no grip though his arms do move. And he needs to regain his strength. He lost nearly 30 pounds since the accident, he's 127 and 6'1". I always kid him however that I'm going to strap him onto the back of the RT and call him "Bernie" which he chuckles at. Remember the movie Weekend at Bernies? I've always believed in the power, even the healing power, of humor. For anyone to regain another sense of independence following a traumatic accident is huge. Ventilator...gone. Trach...gone. Neck brace...gone. Feeds himself...doing it. Puts his shirt on...doing it. Driving an enabled van...coming up. I hope that some day he will get to the point of not needing a cath or bowel program, God willing. This would be the ultimate in independence. Forgive the length of this post. I have a habit of doing that. But EVERYBODY needs an inspiration. And you guys are it.:thumbup::thumbup:

RoHo
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
My SIL is a quad C5 after a diving accident at his wedding reception on June 16. What you enabled riders have done is nothing short of huge, if not a miracle. But you guys are an extreme minority. How many would even attempt to do what you do from the "elgible candidates" of former bikers, let alone Spyder ryders, I do not know. Now here's my question: how many enabled passengers are there on this forum? I don't expect Daniel to operate my RT. He has no grip though his arms do move. And he needs to regain his strength. He lost nearly 30 pounds since the accident, he's 127 and 6'1". I always kid him however that I'm going to strap him onto the back of the RT and call him "Bernie" which he chuckles at. Remember the movie Weekend at Bernies? I've always believed in the power, even the healing power, of humor. For anyone to regain another sense of independence following a traumatic accident is huge. Ventilator...gone. Trach...gone. Neck brace...gone. Feeds himself...doing it. Puts his shirt on...doing it. Driving an enabled van...coming up. I hope that some day he will get to the point of not needing a cath or bowel program, God willing. This would be the ultimate in independence. Forgive the length of this post. I have a habit of doing that. But EVERYBODY needs an inspiration. And you guys are it.:thumbup::thumbup:

Life doesn't stop with paralysis - that's the mountain. Everything from there is a down hill ride. Accolades to you and to SIL :clap::clap::clap:

landrover97
12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
I live in Australia the country down under. My dream has come true after three years of planning the purchase of the Spyder. I used cardboard to make a templete for the footboards and then had them made using flat aluminum plate with a 30mm edge on outer side to stop my foot falling off. I had the foot brake moved to the handlebars using Brembo gear levers and other attachments. To get the Collapsible wheelchair onto the side of the Spyder I used the Givi Pannier frame with some bolt on attachments. This has worked well for me and I use a rubber strap to keep it together and safe. Everybody is different, but this has worked well for me. There is other things that I will do in time, but at the moment it has worked for me. Safe riding. If anybody would like pictures let me know

Tulare Spyder
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Roll call, joe here. Polio guy. Spyder works well for me as I get older.
Cool web site

Tulare Spyder
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
I do have wheelchair, but able to walk some distance. Lucky no need to take chair , at least not yes.

SXSMachine
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
My name is Gavin from Melbourne Australia. I have been looking at the Spyder and its technology for years and it seems now not only can I appreciate it at a distance a number of syndromes CNS & Skeletal, are enabling me to actually get on one while I MAY have the chance for the amount of time I can.

Have read a lot of inspiring stories here and a lot of great examples of modified Spyders both how , what parts and from who so its been much apprecited to get all that information.

I have plenty of idea's of how I will make my idea roll its just a matter of some of them being legality issues and have written to my state authority about that one issue being straight forward the other more interperative. Both I'll seek my approvals on before I get a Spyder and get to work on it.

I want to congratualate everyone on their bravery and ambition to be what they want to be and not what society wants to label them as. :2thumbs:

Cavman
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I have had problems with my legs for a few years. I can't squat down and get up using my legs. I'm loving my RT even thought I have some issues getting my leg over the seat when I get on. Stretching helps. I raised the passenger foot rests all the way up. I stand on it with my left foot so it's easier to get my right leg over the seat...less vertical distance.

Back in 1996, I attend a meeting of some of the Para Olypians in Atlanta. The woman giving the lecture called every able person there T.A.P.s, Temporary Abled Persons. She said some day either by 'accident' or age, you will all be disabled. She was right.

There is no way I want to get on a two wheeled motorcycle anymore. To get on my mountain bike, I lay it on the ground, step over the frame and then pick it up between my legs. Done!

I'm glad there is this section. Thank you for all that have served!

TuckMiddle
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I have had problems with my legs for a few years. I can't squat down and get up using my legs. I'm loving my RT even thought I have some issues getting my leg over the seat when I get on. Stretching helps. I raised the passenger foot rests all the way up. I stand on it with my left foot so it's easier to get my right leg over the seat...less vertical distance.

Back in 1996, I attend a meeting of some of the Para Olypians in Atlanta. The woman giving the lecture called every able person there T.A.P.s, Temporary Abled Persons. She said some day either by 'accident' or age, you will all be disabled. She was right.

There is no way I want to get on a two wheeled motorcycle anymore. To get on my mountain bike, I lay it on the ground, step over the frame and then pick it up between my legs. Done!

I'm glad there is this section. Thank you for all that have served!

Welcome. Sorry I didn't get to talk with you at our meeting in Jan.

I bought mine from the meeting place folks and things have gone pretty well for the first 9,000 miles since Aug 2011. Send me a PA if you will. Love to meet you and ride, talk ot what ever. I'm in Kennesaw often with an ongoing air bag mess, but we're getting there. I'm pretty lucky to have just 8 vertebrae welded together, accompanied by a lot of arthritis most everywhere. Did buy the ISCI brake lever kit. What a nice bunch of pros those dudes are. My right hip goes ape semi regularly and I decided the Spyder is the answer and it is.
Look forward to visiting with you one day soon.
TuckMiddle
Waleska

TuckMiddle
02-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Diana

And we were so glad to see you folks. I live up in Waleska and anytime y'all are looking for another bike to ride along, let me know. OK?

My back has been a mess for years, but it's welded in 1/2 now and I get around pretty well for an old guy who can't hear much. I got the ISCI brake system due to arthritis and you've never met a nicer group of folks than they are down in Montgomery.

Look forward to hearing from you.

TuckMiddle
Waleska

Cavman
02-15-2012, 01:57 AM
We talked a bit in the hall. Remember I mentioned Reinhardt College?
When I get a bit better at driving my Spyder, I can head up that way.

I'm planning to trailer the Spyder to Cuba. Will be camping at Lady Bug Campground.

Questions
08-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Here yeeeeeeeeee, here yeeeeeeeeeee, i'm a fellow cripster on a can am.

mick ruhdorf
08-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I live in Australia the country down under. My dream has come true after three years of planning the purchase of the Spyder. I used cardboard to make a templete for the footboards and then had them made using flat aluminum plate with a 30mm edge on outer side to stop my foot falling off. I had the foot brake moved to the handlebars using Brembo gear levers and other attachments. To get the Collapsible wheelchair onto the side of the Spyder I used the Givi Pannier frame with some bolt on attachments. This has worked well for me and I use a rubber strap to keep it together and safe. Everybody is different, but this has worked well for me. There is other things that I will do in time, but at the moment it has worked for me. Safe riding. If anybody would like pictures let me know

hi landrover could you send me those pictures of your wheelchair rack im a little bit away from getting my spyder but i want to be ready

cheers mick michaelruhdorf@bigpond.com

spyder2u
08-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Stroke survivor ready to ride after a year and half of therapy and people telling me about all the things I can't do.
Work out of power chair use hemi walker very short distance, right side probably not 50%, ready to ride except for safety sake
need left handbrake. Like the ISCI setup but only made for right side, would appreciate any help or ideas as this is last
hurdle to getting back on road. Traded Harley for 2012 Limited that needs to get on road, I've been riding 45 years & ready to go.
Thanks to everyone for the incentive to continue.
Appreciate all the help, Congrats to All You deserve it
Spyder2U

AbNormy
08-17-2012, 11:50 PM
reporting for duty: left above knee amp, have 2 BMW sidecar rigs a 92 R100 R with velorex and mechanical shifter, and a 2000 R1200c with Champion Escort currently for sale at Perrys' Motorcycles and Sidecars. it had a kliktronic shifter set up on it but Perry seemed to think it would sell quicker with that off so he removed it. thanks for the thread!!:thumbup:

Big Bird
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I am in the same boat as you are Chief. Adds up to 140% and classified unemployable. We got the Spyder for the exact same reasons. The Spyder extends our time that we can ryde together a number of years since my wife is way younger than me. Plus, I have a place to put my folding cane on the days I need it.

Same here for me. Wrecked my ST1100 and found the Spyder and I'm back riding again... fortunately, for now, I don't need canes or chairs...

When anyone askes me what I like about the Big Bird, I tell them it don't fall over... pot holes and slopes were my nemesis when at a stop... no problem now...

arm and a leg
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Hi Folks,

Strke survivor here; right side is severely affected. I am very interested in an RT but I need to know if there is anyone who can move the throttle and brake to the left side. I am ready to buy a Spyder if this can be done. Thanks for your time.

Ray

AZBoomer
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
T5 Para here. Injured in a motocross crash almost 10 years ago. Got my Spyder back in December, 2011. In the past few months I have finally got everything all setup to where I really enjoy riding! It has been a ton of fun so far!!! :)

Hope to see everyone around!

coz
10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
good to have you here:thumbup: hottttttttt rss

mick ruhdorf
10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
T5 Para here. Injured in a motocross crash almost 10 years ago. Got my Spyder back in December, 2011. In the past few months I have finally got everything all setup to where I really enjoy riding! It has been a ton of fun so far!!! :)

Hi AZ :welcome: theyre a good mob on here plenty of helpful tips and hints to use or ignore,as a new wheely spyder owner myself i know its a great smile maker. Heres to miles of smiles.
cheers mick

JJW SpyderRider
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Folks,

Strke survivor here; right side is severely affected. I am very interested in an RT but I need to know if there is anyone who can move the throttle and brake to the left side. I am ready to buy a Spyder if this can be done. Thanks for your time.

Ray

Hi Ray! I've heard of people adding hand brakes to the right side but not sure how it would work on the left side with the shifter. I know a lady has moved the throttle to be foot operated but that was on an RS. I'm not sure if it can be done with the throttle by wire on an RT.

If you find someone that was willing to look into making this change and they want to take a closer look at an RT send me a PM. I will try to help you out if I can.

Spyder_Cowgirl
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi Ray! I've heard of people adding hand brakes to the right side but not sure how it would work on the left side with the shifter. I know a lady has moved the throttle to be foot operated but that was on an RS. I'm not sure if it can be done with the throttle by wire on an RT.

If you find someone that was willing to look into making this change and they want to take a closer look at an RT send me a PM. I will try to help you out if I can.

Years and years ago, as I was just beginning to ride motorcycles ... had a close friend with a severely injured left hand. He was very mechanically inclined and moved the clutch lever to the right hand. Thus, BOTH clutch and brake on the same hand (this was on an old Suzuki and back in the mid 1970's). It was an interesting set-up -- the levers were specially offset from each other so that two fingers could work the brake and the other two the clutch ... and at the same time with relative safety after alot of practice. This was the machine on which I took my first tentative passes around a parking lot.

So, if you find someone willing to make the modifications and get the levers adjusted properly (if you have manual shift), it is possible to operate both with the same hand -- no reason it could not be the left (just as it was the only good right hand for my friend).

Be safe .... AM (Spyder_Cowgirl)

HedonismBot
11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi all from St. Louis, Missouri :-)

Had a spinal cord tumor at C-1, 2 and 3 when I was 15. After 2 years of chemo and partial paralysis from the original biopsy, I had those three vertebrate fused. Even with a pretty bad gait and messed up right shoulder from the fusion process, my wife and I (in mid-30s) are happy '12 RT-S owners. This has been such a wonderful experience for us both. The first time we test drove one, I broke down and started tearing up on the way home. My wife saw this and she was 100% supportive of us finding a way to afford the bike.

The feeling the Spyder provides me is just amazing and I cannot get enough. I feel far more at home and alive on the Spyder than I do sitting behind the wheel of a car. I hate to say I feel "normal" on the Spyder, because who is really normal, but it certainly makes me feel as if I have no limitations. Thank god for the Spyder. :pray:

asp125
11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Years and years ago, as I was just beginning to ride motorcycles ... had a close friend with a severely injured left hand. He was very mechanically inclined and moved the clutch lever to the right hand. Thus, BOTH clutch and brake on the same hand (this was on an old Suzuki and back in the mid 1970's). It was an interesting set-up -- the levers were specially offset from each other so that two fingers could work the brake and the other two the clutch ... and at the same time with relative safety after alot of practice. This was the machine on which I took my first tentative passes around a parking lot.

So, if you find someone willing to make the modifications and get the levers adjusted properly (if you have manual shift), it is possible to operate both with the same hand -- no reason it could not be the left (just as it was the only good right hand for my friend).

Be safe .... AM (Spyder_Cowgirl)

I don't know if it applies here, but stunt riders commonly add a brake lever to the left hand side with kits like this.
http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/rekluse/info_pages/info_brakes.htm

On a bike doing wheelies this operates the rear brake. I'm sure with the right kind of engineering you could tap a line into the master cylinder to operate the Can Am brakes.

As for throttle.. how about a snowmobile or atv style thumb throttle?

wizwht
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Got mine from Uncle Sam while in the service - They had to run me over twice to get the job done.:yikes: Now I have braces on both legs, and use a walker or my scooter to get around. I was thinking of using a bike rack for when I take my walker or a small flatbed trail for my scooter. Right now I'm good as long as I can hang on to something. I've had my Rt for just over a year and have 15,000 miles on it. Floor boards were a must. I ride from Jacksonville Fl to St. Petersburg all the time and love it. The bike is my main transportation. :yes:

Desert Spyder
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Got mine from Uncle Sam while in the service - They had to run me over twice to get the job done.:yikes: Now I have braces on both legs, and use a walker or my scooter to get around. I was thinking of using a bike rack for when I take my walker or a small flatbed trail for my scooter. Right now I'm good as long as I can hang on to something. I've had my Rt for just over a year and have 15,000 miles on it. Floor boards were a must. I ride from Jacksonville Fl to St. Petersburg all the time and love it. The bike is my main transportation. :yes:

Ouch! Thanks for your input and your service sir.

Bcal
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Do you know of anywhere in Ontario where a handbrake can be purchased??

eddieshep999
03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I posted this ans on another thread - Reading this I thought this may help several others

In the UK We have the National Association for Bikers with a Disability - NABD

You could try a post on the Forum although not many Spyders have been sold in the UK yet
There are experts in adaptions which may point you in the right direction

See this Link
http://www.nabd.org.uk/

There are some solutions on the Adaption page

http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/javaindex.htm

Hope those that need them can find a solution

They may be able to let you know of companies that do the same work in the USA/Canada etc

Good luck and best wishes from a disabled Spyder rider in the UK

ABQAndy
03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Do you know of anywhere in Ontario where a handbrake can be purchased??

You can order it from ISCI who is a sponsor on this site. http://www.isciride.com/iscirtautoparts.htm

I have the hand brake on my RT and couldn't ride without it.

kawakii
03-09-2013, 04:15 AM
Our dealership moved controls to the left side for a rider who only had one arm, he drove an RT. I would approach a dealer about chaining the side the controls are on. Most are helpful. ISCI is the place for a handbreak even though we've heard there is now a brembro solution being offered - a kit sold by someone. I have the ISCI and it works great, easy install.

master1309
04-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi, I crashed my Harley into a guardrail at 60mph, Lost bottom half of left leg (now wear a prosthetic limb)and partial use of left forearm and hand. My RSS SE5 is a GODsend. I've been back on the road for about 8 months after not riding for three years. My spyder and I go everywhere my wife's ElectraGlide Ultra goes. And I am happy to be in the wind. Will post pics soon. Thanks for the support.:yes:

Bob Ledford
06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi to everyone. The name here is Bob Ledford and I live in Ormond Beach FL. To look at me you would all say "What's his problem? I am a retired Army NCO I picked up the Cubital Tunnel Syndrome before retirement. Had left arm surgery twice thanks to the Naval Hospital Jacksonviile, FL. The first time they relocated the Ulnar Nerve. Five years later they had to go back in, find the nerve and trace it out while getting rid of a large amount of adhesion growth. Which has almost rendered the left hand half useable. It killed my ability to use a manual clutch so in 1996 we sold our 1988 GW.

Parkinson's was discovered just after retirement in 2001. Again I feel quite lucky as it is under control with medications.

I love the SE-5 option on my RTL which put me back on the road again. I think riding and having to be aware has helped keep the PD at bay. For about 10 years I did a Loy of web design work. But the LH started curling again so I lost half of my coding fingers

lookerjdc
06-05-2013, 08:42 AM
add to the roll

some really interesting comments in this thread, and some great ideas

just call me gimpy.... lol

IntoTheWind
06-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I had to go to three wheels after two shoulder reconstructions and two knee replacements. I hated giving up my cruiser after riding over forty years so the next best thing was a Spyder RT Limited. It allows me to have three quarters of the experience and that's fine with me. Thanks for the section regarding Handicap ryders this will allow us to learn from others the do's and don'ts together.

Bruise01
06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
I wear a leg brace after being the victim of a Hit and Run Driver while I was a pedestrian. I have limited knee bend and reduced strength in my right leg so larger two wheelers weren't a good option for me anymore. My Spyder has been the perfect thing to get me back on the open road. I added ISCI floorboards and the ISCI Handbrake which has been a Godsend. Yes it's pricey but I think well worth it plus the ISCI folk give a discount to we Handi-Capable Riders. Ride Safe!

LadyDi'sSpyder
06-12-2013, 06:24 PM

I am handicapped and as long as I can swing my leg over the seat, I'm good to go!!!:yes:

LadyDi'sSpyder
06-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi, I crashed my Harley into a guardrail at 60mph, Lost bottom half of left leg (now wear a prosthetic limb)and partial use of left forearm and hand. My RSS SE5 is a GODsend. I've been back on the road for about 8 months after not riding for three years. My spyder and I go everywhere my wife's ElectraGlide Ultra goes. And I am happy to be in the wind. Will post pics soon. Thanks for the support.:yes:

Welcome aboard!!! :yes::yes:

Ridge new
06-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes I'm also a member of the H club
No Spyder yet but once I'm confident I can operate it in spite of my limitations I will own one.
My issue is I lost total use of my right arm and hand due to a brain bleed 13 years ago. I drive a car just fine with my good right hand and hope to do the same on a Spyder.
Will appreciate any help anybody can give me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappy John
08-26-2013, 08:38 PM
After years of having limited usefulness from my left leg, it finally came to the point of leaving it behind and moving on. Bone cancer in that femur 35 years ago, followed by breaking the same radiation damaged bone 15 years ago led to bone replacement, with nerve, and muscle damage. Vascular problems from the knee down in the last year, plus an infection in that fifteen year old hip/femur replacement made the decision necessary so I had it removed at the hip on July 5th. I'm happy to say that I'm actually riding better now. I no longer need extra cushions to give me more seat height so that my bad knee could be straighter while riding. Now my lower center of gravity makes the corners much easier to maneuver. It's still a bit sore, so I'm not riding far yet....45 minutes at a time so far.... but I think I'll be riding farther than I could have handled pre-amputation, very soon. I don't have a prosthesis yet. I'm going for a hip mold in a few weeks, now that the swelling is down, to get fitted for one. Maybe then I won't get so many double-takes from drivers passing on my left. ;) Lovin' my Spyder more and more!

Fat Crip
02-20-2014, 07:00 PM
OK, I'll add my name to the roll. As you can tell from my avatar, I'm disabled and a little over weight! The latter is due to the former; the former is due to a clumsy surgeon performing a C3-C5 laminectomy ten years ago in June. I'm tetraplegic (or quadriplegic to you guys) with pretty severe paralysis down my right side and pretty much 80% use of my left. My dealer is currently fitting a left hand brake and throttle to a new, unregistered 2013 ST-S. He has custom built the fly-by-wire throttle, but the brake is done by cannibalising the left hand control unit off a manual shift ST. This allows the use of the clutch lever and reservoir to perform duty as a brake. It has the advantage, I'm told, of giving a factory fitted look... we'll see! Should be ready in a week or so, just need it shipped up here and my Can Am Outlander trade in collected. Here you can ride a quad on the road, and it's been my ride for the last three years, including a week in Ireland last summer for the world's fastest road race, Dundrod Bike Week. Keeping up with Buells and Ducatis showed the quad's failings, but great for carrying my travel scooter.

Finally, my avatar picture. It is the international signal flag foxtrot, which to any seafarer, in 9 different languages, means 'I am disabled, communicate with me'. If there is a better way to display your situation without flashing a picture of a wheelchair or crutches etc., I've yet to see it. It should, in my opinion, be the international pennant of disabled people the world over. I fly it on a whip Ariel on my quad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ptbperegrine
02-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Hi, I'm Peter (aka ptbperegrine) from Sydney, Australia. I had polio as a kid and was paralysed from the neck down.
These days my arms are fine and I can stagger about 3 metres with 2 walking sticks.

I bought a 2009 RS SE5 and have ISCI handbrake and footboards.

Freedom!
;)

Desert Spyder
02-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Hi, I'm Peter (aka ptbperegrine) from Sydney, Australia. I had polio as a kid and was paralysed from the neck down.
These days my arms are fine and I can stagger about 3 metres with 2 walking sticks.

I bought a 2009 RS SE5 and have ISCI handbrake and footboards.

Freedom!
;)

Thats terrific! You guys are an inspiration! videos and pictures someday, please.

Bandit
02-28-2014, 02:10 AM
Hey, Lamont! Why not call this the "Challenge Corner"? I know what a "Challenge" it can be to modify a Spyder for different needs. :doorag:

AbNormy
03-07-2014, 04:37 AM
I'm an above knee amputee left leg as a result of a drunk driver, ME! Took me 6 more years and 2 extended vacations before I got started on these 20 years sober I celebrated last December. Between sobering up and getting off paper and getting back to school finishing a degree, I still couldn't find a job. BS in Health Information Management, allowed me to sit for my Registered Health Information Administrator, nothing local where I live in Austin, so I went to work for the most accommodating employer, the US Dept of Treasury, the IRS where I've been 8 years now, GS6 step 7 but even with a raise I made 4300 less last year cause of this tea party crap. Had several BMW sidecars, always had to rig shifters on them. Test drove the 2012 RT A&C and said where do I sign! But with this income reduction scraping to make ends meet. Computer literate 20 years sober bilingual, need some help with some kind of part to full time gig if anyone knows of anything message me. 26,000 miles between Copper Mountain Co, then Sedalia Mo, then Maggie Valley I love my RT but desperately need some additional income. Wife's had this depressive bout last 3 years I hoped the travels would get her out of but no go. She's working 3 pt jobs Goodwill is one all just over min wage not bringing in 20k were scraping by. This too shall pass praying to be of service to the next guy.

Living the dream while I still can!

ROADKILL1
03-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Hey everyone I'm ROADKILL, I had an accident June 16, 2013 and after multiple complications on Dec 23, 2013 I became a left leg a/k amputee. I have been riding since 1965 and don't plan of quitting yet. Two days after getting out of rehab I went to a Can Am dealer here in Jacksonville and climbed on one....I think I have found my next ride. I'm planning on getting one in the next couple of weeks. So if there is anything I need to know please chime in and let me know.

Thanks

Oh I had the nickname before the accident.

sddinnh
05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
I really thought long and hard about posting this in here. After all, I'm not missing any limbs or anything like that, there are times when I don't even consider myself disabled, and I'm a relatively private person. So, let me explain. I was a career Army First Sargent working on being a Sargent Major. Right after I came back from Desert Storm in 1992, I had a stroke. I was 47 at the time. The VA permanently disabled me and said it was from working in the burning oil fields and all the crap we breathed in over there. Then two years later, (the Army is slow :banghead:), they finally transferred me to inactive reserve and my career was over.

Any way, after two years of physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy I finally got back to the point where i could get back on a BMW and thought all of that was behind me. Then last year at the age of 67, I was diagnosed with bone cancer. When I started chemo, it somehow reactivated the damage from the stroke and I now have severe leg weakness in my left leg and a slight loss of balance along with some minor pain which I understand will get worse. It's not bad enough that I can only walk for short distances, but it would preclude me from holding up a bike at a light or picking one up if I dropped it.

So, after sitting around over the winter moping for six months, here I am on a Spyder, trying to decide what to do with the two BMW's in the barn. Understand that I'm not riding a Spyder by choice, but I'm on it by necessity, and because of the concern and help from a group of friends who knew what stopping riding would do to me and who didn't want to loose my company on the trips (and the good bottle of scotch I always bring on tour :cheers: ). Touring with them has been a great part of my life for the better part of 50 years and it sustained me thru the death of my wife and all the other trials in my life. My friends and I do 3 or 4 major trips a year, and now I can continue that tradition with them thanks to the Spyder and their support..

Will it be the same? I doubt it. but I guess, when all is said and done, the trick is to do the best you can with the cards you are given and trust that your friends will support you and help you thru the rough patches. Who knows, once I master it, I may get to really like it :pray:. Right now it's an interesting experiment to see how fast you can put one of these things thru a corner :opps:. I hope it works out because if it doesn't there's no place else for me to go.

SXSMachine
05-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I really thought long and hard about posting this in here. After all, I'm not missing any limbs or anything like that, there are times when I don't even consider myself disabled...................

Steve how you consider yourself in life is entirely your concern as a person. What the world owes you in return for your sacrifice and the pain you have been through and continue to go through without anyone having a clue because its your own personal ordeal doesnt preclude you from having your rights and your dignity.

My own descent into disability has been different but the same wobbly road and I share what I know will have been your ongoing frustration at set-backs and personal issues in your life. You dont sound like you caught much of a break and I just hope that if a Spyder can keep you out on the road with the boys, doing the things that have helped you through these experiences so far and continuing to bring you the joy and kinship that Army and motorcycling often share in common.

A Spyder is a different ride but its still a ride and those of us that have been through the type of physical issues and limitations you are still going through know that when you have a chance to live anything close to what you were doing you grab it with both hands and hang on tight!

Heres to another shot at the title!

Gavin

sddinnh
05-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Heres to another shot at the title!

Gavin

Yup Gav - one more time around - Cheers mate :cheers:

Big Bird
05-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Sarge, and every one else... I ride Big Bird for two reasons. One, my wife likes it because it doesn't fall over. Second, it doesn't fall over...lol
I've rode some sort of bike most of my life... Hondas, Kawis, Yamahas, and Harley too... my last bike before 'Big Bird was a '92 ST1100 sport touring bike, and I loved it... didn't love the price that honda wanted for the tupperware, but the ride and guys and gals were great... as is the Spyder folks... more and more of them. Even here in the desolate Mohave Valley in Arizona.... I used to live in Westminster, South Carolina and that is where I lived when we drove up to Wisconsin to get the Spyder... My wife had named it Big Bird from just the photos that Tony had posted. So ride on my friends... it's the wind in your face, not how it gets there... :clap::yes::congrats:

Raindragon
05-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Great idea, Lamont! How about "Retreads" for us hand-capable SpyderLovers?

911MEDIC
05-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I have finally sat down and browsed through the forums and found this one.... & all I can say is THANK YOU!!!! I am so glad that there are people out there that share my passion who could also understand my situation. I have Charcot-marie tooth syndrome. Nerve disorder that makes my muscles disintergrate in all of my extremities at an alarming rate no feeling in my Legs,feet arms or hands. Legs worse than hands though. I have to wear braces on both leg to keep my feet held up because I cant lift them on my own, and the braces are the only reason I can actually walk. (sort-of. I walk like a zombie, but zombies have better balance.) I have had nothing but problems as a Medic and am now pretty much confined to dispatch at 911. When the guys at Big #1 motorsports put me on a Spyder, I fell in love! I just rolled over to 1000 miles on my 2013 ST SE5 and LOVE IT!

but since I'm with you guys I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!

ptbperegrine
06-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Polio victim from Australia here. Could you show me/us how your wheelchair is mounted, that would be really helpful!
Happy Ryding!

Marker
06-19-2014, 08:13 PM
I found this site here is the link hope it helps http://www.3wheels.org/outfit-reviews/reverse-trikes-ok-spyders/gregs-spyder/

One of guys pictured his name is Barney and he lives close to me. He is an amazing fellow. He rides snowmobiles in winter and spyders in the summer. He also has an old muscle car he drives.
All his toys are modified for his needs.

ptbperegrine
06-21-2014, 02:37 AM
I found this site here is the link hope it helps http://www.3wheels.org/outfit-reviews/reverse-trikes-ok-spyders/gregs-spyder/

One of guys pictured his name is Barney and he lives close to me. He is an amazing fellow. He rides snowmobiles in winter and spyders in the summer. He also has an old muscle car he drives.
All his toys are modified for his needs.

Many thanks! :2thumbs:

Cleg
06-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Hey everyone I'm ROADKILL, I had an accident June 16, 2013 and after multiple complications on Dec 23, 2013 I became a left leg a/k amputee. I have been riding since 1965 and don't plan of quitting yet. Two days after getting out of rehab I went to a Can Am dealer here in Jacksonville and climbed on one....I think I have found my next ride. I'm planning on getting one in the next couple of weeks. So if there is anything I need to know please chime in and let me know.

Thanks

Oh I had the nickname before the accident.

:thumbup:Must say, I was drawn in by your avatar and after reading your post, I felt I had to comment. I too, am a LAKA the result of a bike accident decades ago. Because of the numerous complications I lived with, I was unable to ride for quite some time. A good friend was selling Spyders in his retirement job and voila...:spyder2: came into my life. My RT Ltd SE5 was and is the best thing going.

My one issue is when the riding gets 'over' sporty, if you know what I am saying, I sometimes feel lie the left twisties get a bit impaired by the prosthesis. It became mind over matter once the confidence was secured in the ability of the :spyder2:. What amazes many, is when i have the prosthesis off and am ryding with the external 'legs' strapped on the luggage rack I added. :yikes: people wonder, but the confidence of the three wheel formation overcomes all... Must say, the :spyder2: is :firstplace: and my life goes on. Go for it, get the ryde and enjoy!!!! Good luck and safe ryding:rolleyes:.

ptbperegrine
06-25-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought you would be inundated with answers. As a result of polio I have a left leg with about 5% strength and a right leg with no strength at all, in a full length caliper. My method is to stand on my left footboard, swivel around then sit back onto the saddle. I then slide back onto the pillion position, reach down, grab the front of my jeans below the knee and lift my leg high enough that it clears the handle bar & screen and put it down on the right hand side. Then I slide forward onto the "Captain's Spot" and I'm ready to go!
Hope that helps.

wd8ajj
07-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

granpa in Cincy
07-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

Utopia is what you want.

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html

ptbperegrine
07-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Utopia is what you want.

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html

Or this:

From SpyderRyders.net.au

sorry, the pics didn't come through, just look at the site. The price is A$, it will be much cheaper from the US.

New backrest option for RS & ST

As many of you know fitting the BRP pillion backrest means buying the sports rack as well with a total price over $1,000. Even then , when riding solo , it is of little use?

Now there is a new cheaper option that converts with a flip from pillion backrest to rider backrest if you are going solo!

It mounts simply with 4 bolts under the RS (or ST) seat. Other rider backrests make you cut through the seat to mount them.

Kit is complete even including a quality ratchet ring spanner to make fitting simple

I have very limited stock at this time. $640 inc GST

martin@spyderryders.net.au

First Duel Mode Backrest review from the US

" The backrest arrived with all needed parts (very few) and detailed instructions. The instructions were easy to follow. Installation took approximately 40 minutes and that was going very slow and cautious. I am sure it could be done much quicker if you have more experience removing panels and working on the Spyder.

I think the backrest looks great. The supports for the backrest integrate with the Spyder and do not look like an aftermarket fit. This is a one size fits all seat due to the range of adjustment. The supports for the backrest can be put in any position from extremely far back behind the passenger seat to right up against the drivers seat or anywhere in between. A ratchet is included that easily adjusts the backrest supports with just one or two turns. The pad for the backrest can also be adjusted up or down and can also be tipped a little front to back. After a little practice, it is very quick to adjust.I had planned to only use the backrest occasionally when I had a passenger.

I did not expect for it to work as well for me a driver. I am 5'9 and only have the one inch riser on the handlebars so I sit leaned forward. I did not know if the backrest would reach my back. I was very wrong. With the backrest in position for the drivers seat and tipped forward, it hits right against my low back and keeps me in a better position on the Spyder. I do not slide around as much and it is very comfortable. This backrest will stay on my Spyder permanently now since it works so well for me."

Feedback from Australia

Re fitting the back rest on my RSS SE5 (below) . On further inspection I found the tool to take the panniers off also had to remove rear indicator lights, well after a couple of hours I fitted the backrest and put everything back together very happy with the results, enclosed photos with the back rest in both positions thanks for your prompt response and delivery of the backrest.
Des

Fat Crip
07-29-2014, 04:42 PM
but since I'm with you guys I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!

I'm tetraplegic so I'm pretty immobile, but I reverse on to the pillion pad and heave my better (left) leg over the 'tank'. Sadly I do tend to kick lumps out of the poor old girl on the way over and down the left side. I do have some clear plastic protective film, but I've not managed to find time to fit it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clary
02-28-2015, 08:54 PM

I agree this would be a great site for those of us with mobility issues. I have just received one of the first disability plates for my spyder (motorcycle plate) in Canada , I am the tenth. Love my spyder and look forward to the different mods that come up for us on this site. The hand brake is of real interest to me but costly.

Pennyrick
03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
I agree this would be a great site for those of us with mobility issues. I have just received one of the first disability plates for my spyder (motorcycle plate) in Canada , I am the tenth. Love my spyder and look forward to the different mods that come up for us on this site. The hand brake is of real interest to me but costly.

The folks at ISCI in Montgomery, AL discount their hand brake substantially if you can document your disability. A photo of your handicapped plate should suffice.

Vader
03-27-2015, 07:06 PM
On June 9, 2001 I suffered a TBI(Traumatic Brain Injury) when the car I was sitting in, parked, was struck by another vehicle. The impact forced my brain to come in contact with my skull. I was left permanently disabled. My wife provided me with that information because, as well as some physical issues, I have a very limited memory. My memory before my accident is spot on, while "new" memories are gone after a few days.
Since the Spyder was introduced, she said I wanted one. I own a 2008 GS. I love it. The freedom I have brings me back to a time I loved before my accident.

cyclelover63
03-27-2015, 08:14 PM
I have heard and seen first hand how the Spyder has allowed people to experience ryding "Can Am style"...Makes the complaints on here seem minor.. I commend .:bowdown::bowdown: you for taking life by the horns!!!...:2thumbs::2thumbs:..Be safe!!!

Clary
03-27-2015, 08:17 PM

Joined a few weeks ago and find this one site I will check out. I have a walking disability to the point I use a walker to go on the road with my vets group. The SE 5 was the answer for shifting and I think I will eventually invest in the hand break if the legs get worse.looking forward to the upcoming season on my new to me spyder.hope I can find a spyder group in my area to ride with ( Halifax Nova Scotia Canada ) great site here.

Vader
03-27-2015, 08:50 PM
I have heard and seen first hand how the Spyder has allowed people to experience ryding "Can Am style"...Makes the complaints on here seem minor.. I commend .:bowdown::bowdown: you for taking life by the horns!!!...:2thumbs::2thumbs:..Be safe!!!

Many thanks!

Clary
04-01-2015, 03:21 PM
The folks at ISCI in Montgomery, AL discount their hand brake substantially if you can document your disability. A photo of your handicapped plate should suffice.

I will look into that , thanks for the tip.again I got to say "what a great site"

SXSMachine
04-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Best wishes to everyones health over the holiday and if you are riding be safe and enjoy what you are comfortable with doing. :yes::thumbup:

Venom669
07-24-2015, 11:11 AM
My name is Niclas and im from Finland and i was in a surgery accident 2005 so im paralyzed from the waist.
I did bought myself a Spyder rs -12 some days ago so this is my new project for a while to get this to work with my wheelchair and to get the handbrake done. I will also show my other projekt i have done and that is my car that is a little diffrent. It's nice to be here and read how you all doing to overcome your problems. And i feel i will like it here. :D

Commander
07-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Be safe.....
" Thank you for your Service, God Bless"

jimsturges
07-24-2015, 07:49 PM
There may be an answer on here already as I haven't gotten to read all the posts..... I'm a double leg amputee and have an ISCI hand brake. It stops my RS but if it were an emergency stop I'd be in trouble. It is a slow gradual decent. Does anyone have an ISCI that really works? I can't get my Spyder dealer to look at it because they say there is a liability since it's not OEM. I'm open to any help here as I feel "whole" again being able to ride but I don't feel safe right now.
Thanks !

Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-24-2015, 11:02 PM
There may be an answer on here already as I haven't gotten to read all the posts..... I'm a double leg amputee and have an ISCI hand brake. It stops my RS but if it were an emergency stop I'd be in trouble. It is a slow gradual decent. Does anyone have an ISCI that really works? I can't get my Spyder dealer to look at it because they say there is a liability since it's not OEM. I'm open to any help here as I feel "whole" again being able to ride but I don't feel safe right now.
Thanks !

Jim....Get in touch with BAJARON and talk --- brake pads with Him -- He may have a solution for you........Mike :thumbup:

Thump
07-24-2015, 11:45 PM
I just installed the ISCI Handbrake kit on my 2015 RT S and it seems to work as good as the foot brake. Mine came with a Harley brake handle and line. I used DOT4 synthetic brake fluid as recommended by the instructions and bled it a long time to remove any air. I read on another thread someone said to do that and it would have more force. Seems to work well so far. . Hope you are able to get it resolved. Safe riding!
Thump

jimsturges
07-25-2015, 06:19 AM
Thanks Thump

Jim

jimsturges
07-25-2015, 07:00 AM
....Get in touch with BAJARON and talk --- brake pads with Him -- He may have a solution for you........Mike :thumbup:

Thanks Mike will do

Jim

Navy Warrant
08-05-2015, 11:07 AM

There are many of us "enabled" ryders out here who don't have a visible disability. Mine is from the navy and involves damaged internal organs for which I take mucho pills to keep 'em functioning. Pain, discomfort, fatigue, arrhythmia? Yes. Missing a limb or similar? No. Just a reminder that not all disabilities/handicaps are visible ones. So, mobility impairment can be outer body damage, AND/OR inner body damage. I can walk fine, but it's painful in my gut and abdomen, and fatiguing. My Spyders have been a Godsend. My disability left me too weak to pick a bike up, but the Spyder makes that a non-issue. In fact, the Spyder pretty much overcomes every draw back of a 2 wheel bike or even the traditional trike. The saying that "it's not if but when you'll go down" is no longer in play. Love my Spyder.

spyderrider12
08-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Another enabled rider here! Just last week, I had someone leave a note on my spyder about what I didn't understand about parking in a handicap spot. If I could have found them, I would have asked what part of a handicapped plate didn't they understand?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Another enabled rider here! Just last week, I had someone leave a note on my spyder about what I didn't understand about parking in a handicap spot. If I could have found them, I would have asked what part of a handicapped plate didn't they understand?

:yikes:......I'll bet they NEVER looked because they couldn't believe someone as BRAVE as you are could possibly be driving something they wouldn't have the " B*LLS " TO EVEN TRY ......................JMHO........Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup:

dinoninn
08-13-2015, 05:42 PM
I've had a stroke and couldn't get my foot down to balance at a stop. I also have a left hand that could not possibly operate a clutch. The Spyder is my dream come true. Took me 4 years to make the decision but it is one of the best in my life.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

retired1
08-13-2015, 08:30 PM
I've had a stroke and couldn't get my foot down to balance at a stop. I also have a left hand that could not possibly operate a clutch. The Spyder is my dream come true. Took me 4 years to make the decision but it is one of the best in my life.

Glad you found and joined Sl. Welcome! From what I've read, you live in an area with a lot of active members.

dinoninn
08-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Glad you found and joined Sl. Welcome! From what I've read, you live in an area with a lot of active members.
I'll find some of mine here. Thanks.

Bfromla
08-13-2015, 10:37 PM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113538&stc=1 :spyder2:Make it great.

spyderjo333
08-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Hubby took our niece and granddaughter on a short 10 mph ride. Granddaughter is almost 6, has cochlear implants and at least with that slow ride had no problems. She kept
saying me and Katie taking a ride!!!!

Jpquinn
04-13-2016, 11:56 AM
I was sitting watching TV one night, life seemed good MY health seemed good, I had been a truck driver for many years and had been to every state in the US and most of Canada. Just missed the 2 million miles mark. That night suddenly I was unable to breath. I went into a coma for 4 weeks when I came out of it they told me I had a disease called Alpha-1 deficiency, COPD and emphysema. My biggest fear was could I ride again I couldn't keep enough oxygen tanks on a 2 wheeler. That's when I saw the spyder and with the frunk I could carry all I needed. But as a lot of us know I get the looks and comments because I park in handicap. Hey learn to look at the plate. Lamont thank you for your service to all of us.. You're a great man. God bless

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-13-2016, 01:19 PM
I was sitting watching TV one night, life seemed good MY health seemed good, I had been a truck driver for many years and had been to every state in the US and most of Canada. Just missed the 2 million miles mark. That night suddenly I was unable to breath. I went into a coma for 4 weeks when I came out of it they told me I had a disease called Alpha-1 deficiency, COPD and emphysema. My biggest fear was could I ride again I couldn't keep enough oxygen tanks on a 2 wheeler. That's when I saw the spyder and with the frunk I could carry all I needed. But as a lot of us know I get the looks and comments because I park in handicap. Hey learn to look at the plate. Lamont thank you for your service to all of us.. You're a great man. God bless
:welcome:in case I didn't say it earlier :clap::clap::clap:........Ride safe ride happy ,.......Mike :bbq:

Rukpub
04-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Hi, I am a former educator who is now disabled. Now @ 49 I thought I would never ride a two wheeler or even a trike. After having a heart attack and being diagnosed with CHF and Cardiomyopathy and an EF @ 10% with a pacemaker-defb inserted. Many people look at me and would never know. I have the disabled logo on my RT and the looks and some comments I get when I park are sometimes uncomfortable and at times I tell people of my condition. " But your Riding a Bike" is what I always get. It is difficult for me to walk distances and do certain things but I have a new normal and I live within my limits. By the Lords grace the Spyder has helped enhance my quality of life. :pray:

griffontamer
04-24-2016, 11:31 AM
A couple of years ago, I was injured by malfunctioning equipment at work (should have quit beforehand, when I asked the boss to fix it and he said no). Despite a surgery and 2 years' worth of various therapy, my left hip is not cooperating very well.

Thankfully I had wanted a Spyder ever since they came out so I don't feel like I had to "settle" for a Spyder, like some people assume; rather I finally had an excuse to buy one. I'd rather not have had that excuse but well, I do. I love Spyders, I actually enjoy them more than 2 wheelers (which I started riding over 20 years ago).

I do want to get a hand brake but don't have a real NEED for one yet so I really can't justify to spend the money. Maybe by the time I really NEED one, someone will come up with a more affordable kit... who knows, maybe even BRP will design one!

cplbayou
04-26-2016, 08:02 PM
What I have found on the brakes on the Spyder is you do not get full stopping power from the first push of the pedal. Magic Man has been doing some testing on that too. If you pump it once the pedal comes up higher than the first pump. Not sure why that is.

If I'm going to use my hand brake only I give myself a little extra room to stop and I pump it twice. I still have it in the back on my head that cables break and I hope that ISCI will have their hydraulic system done soon because that will be the hot setup. :thumbup:

where did you find a non-hydraulic handbrake, I've had my spyder for about a month and was fine, my new leg was delivered and now I am having trouble braking. The only handbrakes I have found are between $1250.00 and $1350.00 which is out of my price range right now, I assume the non -hydraulic would be cheaper

retired1
04-27-2016, 09:54 AM
where did you find a non-hydraulic handbrake, I've had my spyder for about a month and was fine, my new leg was delivered and now I am having trouble braking. The only handbrakes I have found are between $1250.00 and $1350.00 which is out of my price range right now, I assume the non -hydraulic would be cheaper

Years ago, before ISCI came out with the hydraulic brake system, some owners had come up with a cable operated hand brake. It just went from a handlebar mounted brake lever to the foot brake pedal. There should be some threads in the archives on this subject from '09 or '10.:dontknow:

Habib
05-06-2016, 09:49 AM

Also "disabled" and currently unable to ride due to lack of funds and a non working right ankle. How about calling it "Gimp Mods" 😀? Any chance of someone putting together a parts list for the m/c and slave that will do the hand brake conversion? Some just cant afford the big buck kits but have the skills to "do it yourself".

woodtouch6
06-16-2016, 09:30 AM
I have been fighting a progressive disease for quite a spell now and just love the spyder. The feel of the wind in my face and the freedom born in my DNA that strives to be unleashed.
Enjoy my friends

woodtouch6
06-16-2016, 09:42 AM
Went to Back Fire Motto night in Ballard WA yesterday, many cool bikes, vintage, bobbers, custom you name it but no Spyders, Hmm maybe we should do something about that eh.

wlo48
07-03-2016, 11:28 AM
i also don't care for 2004 term disabled. I say I am mobility challenged. I lost my right leg in 2004 due to exposure to Agent Orange which caused cancer. In 2011 I lost my right pelvic bone. When this happened I decided I was not going to be a disabled VietNam veteran, but a rider of my cycle. I put a sidecar on my 1991 HD Softail Springer and 45000 miles later I bought a 2012 SE5 RT Limited. I have almost finished an adapted brake pedal to the left side.
Put me on your list of riders.
Even though I have 34 years as a Military Policeman, I do all of my own work so I am very interested in all of your posts.

Desert Spyder
07-04-2016, 11:23 AM
i also don't care for 2004 term disabled. I say I am mobility challenged. I lost my right leg in 2004 due to exposure to Agent Orange which caused cancer. In 2011 I lost my right pelvic bone. When this happened I decided I was not going to be a disabled VietNam veteran, but a rider of my cycle. I put a sidecar on my 1991 HD Softail Springer and 45000 miles later I bought a 2012 SE5 RT Limited. I have almost finished an adapted brake pedal to the left side.
Put me on your list of riders.
Even though I have 34 years as a Military Policeman, I do all of my own work so I am very interested in all of your posts.

Thank you for your service!

aeroshots
08-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Well, it was fun and we enjoyed the few local rides but the Spyder has to go. Life happens when you are having fun and priorities in this case are easily made. I listed the Spyder here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?96970-2015-RTL-SE6-only-1-754-miles

We are actually hopeful in an upcoming medical procedure, so no sadness in it. Totally hopeful in an awesome outcome.

Bottom line, check out the 2015 RTL in the thread above.

Nanomous
08-28-2016, 03:13 PM

I have diabetic neuropathy to my knees. So grateful for the semi automatic transmission. I couldn't feel a clutch.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Boots
09-08-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm in frigid Northern Ontario.....Sudbury to be exact. We're not having the best start to the summer here, but I have hope for sunny days ahead.
I am so Thankful for the Spyder.I don't consider myself handicap I was born without my right arm.I had a foot pedal for the gas installed on the left side.I average 10,000 miles a year.I love my Spyder

Cleg
09-16-2016, 08:57 PM
:yikes:......I'll bet they NEVER looked because they couldn't believe someone as BRAVE as you are could possibly be driving something they wouldn't have the " B*LLS " TO EVEN TRY ......................JMHO........Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup:

Mike, if you only could see some of the faces when I get questioned about my parking in a H/C spot, even when they see the plate... And I pull my pant leg up :gaah::b2b: and they are in total shock. Although I'm somewhat glad they question the parking in a designated space, I really wish they mind their own f@&$)$g business.

Star Cruiser
09-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Just 100 km or so (~60 miles) North of Toronto, Ontaro

My second Spyder - 2008 SE then 2012 RT-S ..... Next could be a '16 or '17 RT-S

Left AKA - So no further mods were needed. Well I do really like my Airhawk as it alleviates the "push" from the lip on my Prosthetic

wd8ajj
09-17-2016, 08:48 PM

How about "Handiriders"
I also am disabled Thxs
Gary

tntherapy
09-18-2016, 08:39 PM

Just bought my 2008 GS. Have nerve damage in left ankle. How do you put a handle on top of e brake.
Don't know how to use this site yet so e-mail is TNTHERAPY50@YAHOO.COM. Pics would be appreciated.

Peter Aawen
09-18-2016, 09:25 PM
There are many of us "enabled" ryders out here who don't have a visible disability. Mine is from the navy and involves damaged internal organs for which I take mucho pills to keep 'em functioning. Pain, discomfort, fatigue, arrhythmia? Yes. Missing a limb or similar? No. Just a reminder that not all disabilities/handicaps are visible ones. So, mobility impairment can be outer body damage, AND/OR inner body damage. I can walk fine, but it's painful in my gut and abdomen, and fatiguing. My Spyders have been a Godsend. My disability left me too weak to pick a bike up, but the Spyder makes that a non-issue. In fact, the Spyder pretty much overcomes every draw back of a 2 wheel bike or even the traditional trike. The saying that "it's not if but when you'll go down" is no longer in play. Love my Spyder.

Orright, I guess I should put my hand up for the roll call!! I'm another one of these 'not obviously enabled' Ryders like Navy Warrant above, also due to Service that began in the Navy - Royal Australian Navy that is! ;) I share similar pain & medication issues, altho since suffering a 'blast induced Traumatic Brain Injury', I now also have other issues including some difficulty walking much further than about 50 yards on my good days & 2 yards on the bad days - but let me get in the saddle or driver's seat & I'm rarin' to go!! :yes:

I'm lucky enough that I don't need any mods to make the Spyder the Godsend that it is, & my Wife & Family agree that me spending time on the Spyder makes me a whole lot easier to live with!! An hour of 'spirited ryding' often means that I can skip one of the (many) doses of pain meds that I live on each day, so I call it my Hi-Speed Mobility Scooter. I also really appreciate & often use the Disability Parking tags that I've been issued as a result of my 'service caused infirmities' & I must admit that more than once I've been 'accosted' by an idiot who can't see the big blue sticker!! :mad: Still, I more often end up having polite conversations with people who initially express interest at my parking in Handicapped spaces & then they generally end up being really impressed with the Spyder & the unique features that allow me to keep ryding & active the way I can & do! :thumbup:

Love my Spyder, really miss it when I can't Ryde for whatever reason, & ryde the heck out of it whenever I can! :2thumbs:

wheels
11-16-2016, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=Jumper35;103795]Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE Being new to the whole spyder riding experience i have to say after 12 years of riding my vw trike its definently a whole new way of riding with that said ive been in a wheelchair since the age of 2 and all my life ive always loved challenges as there always is with being in a wheelchair but we find a way everyday i installed the handbrake on my 2010 rss last night and it is amazing highly recommend it building a cradle for the chair drop in the wheels lean it back and attache under the rear foot peg sounds easy lol.the only problem im having is i sit with my legs folded one over the for ease in transfering so when turning the spyder feels like your going to be slingshotted off the bike anyone else have any issues wth balance ....

scadarick
12-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Hello fellow disabled riders
I to am a disabled vet and have been wanting to ride again ever since I was 24 years old. My disability shut me down until I found a ice bear scooter trike. I wanted to see if I could ride again. To my surprise I was indeed ready to try again. Since that ride I have wanted a faster, safer, able to ride on a road trip. So I bought a can am spyder rs se5 black 2012. I know I should have gotten a F3 or a RT but I think this route was the best option for me now. But I am already looking into the newer spyders like the F3 and RT. I am waiting for my seal floor boards and the hand brake kit from ISCI. Jeff there was a big help and depending on how a couple of floorboards I am waiting for fit, Jeff will be getting another order to finish making my spyder safe for me to enjoy again. I am looking for other disabled riders in texas would be great to start with. But I am open to anything, I can trailer my spyder any where if need be, its tricked out Tahoe with Valet retractable drivers seat and hand controls. Works great for me. Well I guess this is my introduction to the board. I go by Rick and on the web as Scadarick. Thanks for having me.

ARtraveler
12-14-2016, 12:41 AM
I to am a disabled vet and have been wanting to ride again ever since I was 24 years old. My disability shut me down until I found a ice bear scooter trike. I wanted to see if I could ride again. To my surprise I was indeed ready to try again. Since that ride I have wanted a faster, safer, able to ride on a road trip. So I bought a can am spyder rs se5 black 2012. I know I should have gotten a F3 or a RT but I think this route was the best option for me now. But I am already looking into the newer spyders like the F3 and RT. I am waiting for my seal floor boards and the hand brake kit from ISCI. Jeff there was a big help and depending on how a couple of floorboards I am waiting for fit, Jeff will be getting another order to finish making my spyder safe for me to enjoy again. I am looking for other disabled riders in texas would be great to start with. But I am open to anything, I can trailer my spyder any where if need be, its tricked out Tahoe with Valet retractable drivers seat and hand controls. Works great for me. Well I guess this is my introduction to the board. I go by Rick and on the web as Scadarick. Thanks for having me.

:welcome: and :congrats:

Buckeye Bleau
12-14-2016, 06:48 AM

:dg1::welcome::clap::congrats:

Joe

Zip
12-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Although it is not very noticeable I have MS. This causes my balance to be off and left sided weakness. So my Spyder is great for me as it is not affected by my issues especially when riding 2 up.:thumbup:

scadarick
12-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Although it is not very noticeable I have MS. This causes my balance to be off and left sided weakness. So my Spyder is great for me as it is not affected by my issues especially when riding 2 up.:thumbup:

I have had it since I was in the marine corps in the early 70's, had a great career 2 daughters, 6 grand kids...now retired from government contractor.
This bike is the best thing to ever for a disabled vet /person...I wish I could have started earlier.

Looking forward for many great rides and thank you for your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

griffontamer
12-15-2016, 02:10 AM
I am very thankful that I loved Spyders before I got injured. My local motorcycle group teases me about the Spyder not being a motorcycle, but hey, it enables me to ride when otherwise I no longer could! I injured my left hip 2.5 years ago due to malfunctioning equipment at work. Despite a surgery and a bunch of therapy, it still doesn't work like it should and the docs said it might never get better. I am very thankful I can ride the Spyder, and I have no problem with others teasing me. In reality, I know they all want to try it too! :D

scadarick
12-15-2016, 08:52 AM
I am very thankful that I loved Spyders before I got injured. My local motorcycle group teases me about the Spyder not being a motorcycle, but hey, it enables me to ride when otherwise I no longer could! I injured my left hip 2.5 years ago due to malfunctioning equipment at work. Despite a surgery and a bunch of therapy, it still doesn't work like it should and the docs said it might never get better. I am very thankful I can ride the Spyder, and I have no problem with others teasing me. In reality, I know they all want to try it too! :D

I totally agree...people are always asking me questions about the spyder so it doesn't bother me either....never did. I drive a wheelchair most of the day except when I am out riding my spyder or my scooter trike around town, they both are fun to ride in there on way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jon8622
12-17-2016, 09:07 PM
I woke up in a hospital with a shattered vertebra, and knew my riding days were over. All I could think about was riding, I could see the road over the bars on a beautiful day as I lay there. My sister recommended reading about enabled spyder Ryder's. She owned her spyder a couple of years already.
I had $$ down on a GS for a month before I was able to go home. My helmet sat on my bed in the nursing home for a few weeks. 😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

woodyaa
12-19-2016, 02:06 AM
I rode for 35 years, the Spyder and its community has been a Godsend for me after 7 back surgeries and having both hips replaced twice. Even though I'm mostly on 2 feet, I've lost most of the feeling in my left leg from the knee down and have mild nerve damage in right foot and ankle. My RTS has kept me riding and sane.
Thank you BRP,
Woody

TeddyBearsRoadster
01-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Great post and informative. I am disabled as well. Had back injury some years ago. Have three discs in lower back damaged. One collapsed putting pressure on sciatic nerves. Always promised myself when I retired I would buy a motorcycle. After back injury I thought that would never happen. Then I heard about the Spyder. Checked them out and had to try one. Not having to lean on corners and not having to balance the weight when stopping I can ride the Spyder with minimal irritation to my back.
First one was an 08' GS SM5.
Was great once I got in High gear. The nerve damage caused problems making my left leg do what I want it to do.
I ended trading up for a 2011 RS-S SE5. I love it. I can ride all afternoon. The paddle shifter works great. So I'm looking forward to all this snow melting and the salt being washed off the roads by a spring rain so I can get back out on my
Spyder again. Sorry this got kind of long. Anyway what ever we have to do to to have a safe and fun ride is worth it.
Hope to see some of you on the road one day. I'm in SW Wisconsin so you get around the area stop and say howdy.
Ride safe and God Bless.
John aka Teddy Bear.

Questions
01-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Greetings from Sunny Queensland,
I've joined the ranks of disabled Spyder riders and loving it.

2 days after getting out of Critical Care I was on the bike.
Haven't ridden2 wheels for over 15 months and decided it had better be 3 wheels.
Only did a few rides until I went back into hospital and after 3 months back on the bike........ it's the best medicine !

Cop a few strange looks when hoping off the bike in full leathers then unfolding a walking stick.........lol very funny.
When the inquisitive ask the question most think I've been in a prior bike accident.

Nope just the on going saga with Crohns, all my electrolytes buggering up, low calcium, magnesium, sodium, and the main killer, low potassium.
14 admissions in 14 months, lost 1/2 of my body weight I'm weak and frail
I suffer from low blood pressure and sometimes fainting but luckily I know my limitations.
I'm improving every day now and may be on the next most suitable bike, the TL1000R within a week or two. It's light and easily manoeuvrable AND fun :D

I don't think I'll get rid of the RT (2010) its a great bike, just one more bike rego to pay.
Trying hard now to build up strength and stamina so I may attend our FJR get together / tour that's held every 2 years. I only have a few months left.

Cheers
Ken

OldPueblo_SpyderRydr
03-13-2017, 02:47 PM
I am also a Enabled ryder. I lost my left leg above the knee 16 years ago. Purchased my first Spyder last month- an 2012 RT Limited!

Indiana Ken
03-13-2017, 04:56 PM
A brain tumor and loss of right inner ear cost me my balance and my two wheel riding days were behind me. Speed forward and a 2012 RT Spyder has got me back on the road.
Just had a new knee installed, which with my balance issues makes walking difficult, but my Spyder gets me around just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DonTheDude
07-21-2017, 09:23 AM
I are a disabled Spyder Ryder. Lost my left leg in a motorcycle accident March 2016. Since I still have my right leg, I do pretty well on my Spyder rt with the electric shift. The only mod I've made is I added a luggage rack for carrying my wheelchair. Now that I'm using my prosthesis I'm carrying my crutches on the rack instead of my chair.

For those interested in the chair I use...
$129 at amazon. Weighs about 20 pounds. Holds 250 pounds. Folds in from 4 corners like a camp chair. I recommend removing the leg supports.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Travelite-Transport-Wheelchair/dp/B00ER2TI5A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1500646547&sr=8-1&keywords=drive+medical+travelite+transport+wheelch air+chair+in+a+bag

lebon
12-11-2017, 11:38 PM
Hi all. Just got myself a 2013 ST SE5 Ltd. Have just completed putting in the ISCI hand brake mod. That went pretty smoothly. Just some bleeding issues, but got that resolved pretty quickly. Next step is to have a holder manufactured to hold my wheelchair on the back of the bike. I will be using a rigid frame chair, so the wheels will be left on the chair. The chair will be lifted manually onto the bike. It will be situated facing the rear of the bike. The footrest of the chair will essentially be sitting on the fender (on a modification) and the chair's axle will be used to clamp to the other modification that will be attached to the already existing back rest. The majority of the chair's weight will be here. Looking forward to getting this completed and getting out on the road.

sealfloorboards
12-15-2017, 10:36 AM

When I saw the RS SE5 I knew my life would change. My first Spyder was an '09 RS SE5. I loved the possibilities it offered but needed to modify the seating position . My shoulders and neck wouldn't take the "crotch rocket" seating position and the pegs were too far to the rear to sit up straight enough. As a life-long professional sculptor, it was a natural thing to design the first Seal Floorboard and bring my feet forward and sit up straight. Next came the handle bar risers and a taller windshield. Getting on and off became a snap and the length of my Seals allowed me a huge range of motion. If not for the change in seating position, I wouldn't be riding today. Bad shoulders,bad knees and serious balance issues have all been dealt with now and I can ride in comfort and feel the freedom that comes with riding a Spyder. I have pictures of my '09 and later RT SE5's. I always buy the base model and trick it out to fit MY NEEDS. Have a great Holiday, and check out the Christmas savings I have going on.
Ride in comfort,
John

Petrom714
12-31-2017, 12:50 PM

toms river here, muscle dystr. getting the handbrake!!

T-Mac
01-27-2018, 12:48 PM
I was involved in a multi motorcycle accident in 2012. My husband got me back on 2 wheels, but it was physically draining & painful. So, we tried a trike kit. That lasted about a year. It felt tippy, difficult to steer & ate tires & bearings.

When I started to think my life in the saddle was over, a friend mentioned the Spyder his wife owned. Up until then, I had completely forgotten about Spyders, even though I fell in "love at first bite" when I saw them for the first time at Laconia Bike Week in 2008.

I went to demo days, test rode several RT models of various years. Had my heart set on a beautiful white RT Ltd & the day I went to sign on the dotted line, my husband, who has never rode a Spyder, jokingly said, "Look at those 2 silver F3S. His & hers!"

Here was his chance to ride a Spyder. My dealer got the paperwork in order so we could test ride the 2 F3S. Mine was the SE6 & his was the standard shift. I gave him the tutorial with my dealer on how to start & operate the machine & we were off.

He loved it! However, he is not ready to make the transfer from 2 to 3. And, this was my first ride on any of the F3 series Spyders.

I bought it that afternoon.

I have never felt so comfortable riding as I do on my Spyder.

Due to my limited mobility issues, I no longer worry about dumping my bike, putting my foot down or the constant pain I felt in my back riding a 2 wheeler.

I got my love for riding back!!!

To date, I have not had to modify my Spyder for my limited mobility. I do forsee in the future having to add risers for my handle bars & possibly a drivers back rest to help my back on long trips, but for the time being, I'm doing alright.

I am thankful every day I get to enjoy quality time in the saddle.

Thank you BRP for giving us, who live life to the fullest, but have our own unique challenges back our freedom of the open road. :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2018, 01:19 PM
:congrats:.....& .....:welcome: ..... I have a Utopia back rest and it is a Back saver ...... and your dealer should have let try all the various handle-bar set-ups that are offered for the F-3..... I recommend you go back soon and trade yours in for one that works best for you .....while the original one is still new ....... Mike :thumbup:

Jjrk3
02-07-2018, 04:15 PM
T-4 Paraplegic here from a previous motorcycle accident in 2007. I modified my Spyder and love riding it!

Capthook74
02-07-2018, 09:25 PM
This is the first bike I’ve rode since losing my arms. Hoping to do Route 66 this summer if all goes as planned.

MR. H1956
02-13-2018, 09:23 AM
This is the first bike I’ve rode since losing my arms. Hoping to do Route 66 this summer if all goes as planned.
That sounds like a great plan. Route 66 is one thing on my bucket list to do. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Let us know how it goes. Happy trails and ride safe.

Capthook74
02-28-2018, 06:28 PM
That sounds like a great plan. Route 66 is one thing on my bucket list to do. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Let us know how it goes. Happy trails and ride safe.
Thank you I can’t wait...

sylvester
02-28-2018, 09:35 PM
my wife and i went to the dealership again today to further check out the RT-S in more detail. after reading the posts on this site and checking many of the pics, i also felt the best place for the walker would be at the rear of the machine. there is a company out there that offers a platform frame for a cooler which attaches to a trailer hitch ala goldwings. i believe in the form of a "slide in hitch receptacle".
a few years ago a friend used this product to carry his golf clubs. with a little modification this would be the way to go for me.

the salesman also suggested i not use the trunk or front cargo area for the sticks, instead securing them like you would fishing rods along the sides near the rear hand grips with the handle held in place with rubber friction hooks. that way i won't need to shlep my awkward support crutches along. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF ADDING AN AFTERMARKET (oops, sorry) or custom topcase rack. i carried my canes that way on my goldwings and ST1100'S in that manner.

i've noted many additions and mods may of you have made and hope to add some of them to our spyder as well. eg...handbrake, floor boards, hiway pegs (maybe) and a driver backrest to begin.:2excited:

for those spyder ryders in toronto and gta, there is apparently test ride day at ontario place in a couple of weeks. sue and i plan to attend. perhaps we'll get to meet some of you folks.

cheers all

rob....NEVER give up!!

I purchased a rack chrome that I had on the gold wing on ebay works great, only issue is the flimsy top when you close the lid you have to push the end tabs in just a hair

pmcpeak76
03-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Great bike, I have Parkinson predominant on left side. No problem driving bike at this time:doorag:

sealfloorboards
03-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Hi all,
I had Gillian Barre when I was 35 and was totally, 100% paralyzed for many months. My motor skills never completely returned and I have balance and walking issues. My brain doesn't really know where my body is and I will fall down in a dark room. I thought a motorcycle would be impossible I saw a 2008 GS. Talk about Life Changing... Wow! I got my first motorcycle endorsement at age 65, much to the dismay of all my friends and wife. I have had 3 Spyder's now and love every minute on it.
ride in comfort, all
John

wheels4mes
04-14-2018, 07:40 PM
After lurking around here (seems like forever) I thought I'd say hello!. I'm from the Houston area and have CP and a chair user, I finally pulled the trigger and got the 2017 F3-S Daytona. The handbrake will be shipped out Monday and a mount for my chair hopefully in about two weeks.

fatenhappy
05-08-2018, 06:21 AM

Mate never handicapped .. I've just got some parts rebuilt and one part missing ... Otherwise life is good, life is gold ! .... So hi from Banksia Beach - Bribie Island - Queensland, Australia ... stay safe !~

paraflyer1966
05-08-2018, 07:13 AM
A brain tumor and loss of right inner ear cost me my balance and my two wheel riding days were behind me. Speed forward and a 2012 RT Spyder has got me back on the road. Just had a new knee installed, which with my balance issues makes walking difficult, but my Spyder gets me around just fine.

Ah, another member of the Vestibular Disorders Club! ;-)

I've been dealing with Meniere's Disease for the last 22 years, luckily isolated to left side only...after putting up with 10-hour bouts of vertigo the disease's progress has just about killed off my left ear's hearing/balance. What balance I have is maintained by the right side only, which killed any hope of riding until Can-Am came to the rescue. 2012 RT-S purchased used 3 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

As a side note, wife has mild case of Cerebral Palsy and seizures;for her I installed Corbin armrests, and have a "kitbashed" seat belt that provides enough support if she were ever to seize on the road...not enough to support her for a long time, but gives me a reliable 10 mins or so to get over to the roadside safely until all is well again.

MR. H1956
05-08-2018, 07:36 AM
After lurking around here (seems like forever) I thought I'd say hello!. I'm from the Houston area and have CP and a chair user, I finally pulled the trigger and got the 2017 F3-S Daytona. The handbrake will be shipped out Monday and a mount for my chair hopefully in about two weeks.
Good for you my friend. Welcome to the:ani29: family. May you have many many great rides. Sounds like you have it all in good shape. Happy Trails. Ride Safe Ride Often:riding:

SXSMachine
05-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Ah, another member of the Vestibular Disorders Club! ;-)

I've been dealing with Meniere's Disease for the last 22 years, luckily isolated to left side only...after putting up with 10-hour bouts of vertigo the disease's progress has just about killed off my left ear's hearing/balance. What balance I have is maintained by the right side only, which killed any hope of riding until Can-Am came to the rescue. 2012 RT-S purchased used 3 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

As a side note, wife has mild case of Cerebral Palsy and seizures;for her I installed Corbin armrests, and have a "kitbashed" seat belt that provides enough support if she were ever to seize on the road...not enough to support her for a long time, but gives me a reliable 10 mins or so to get over to the roadside safely until all is well again.

Youve had a rough trot doubling up both you and the Mrs, glad that you are making life work for you! :2thumbs:

Capthook74
06-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Hi Folks,

Ray
I know a guy who can work miracles. I lost both arms 10yrs ago and had him modify my 2016 F3 limited for me to drive it with my feet. I love it I now got 2100 miles in the last month and a half. Anything is possible.

Desert Spyder
06-05-2018, 05:59 PM
I know a guy who can work miracles. I lost both arms 10yrs ago and had him modify my 2016 F3 limited for me to drive it with my feet. I love it I now got 2100 miles in the last month and a half. Anything is possible.

I’d like to see pictures of that mod. That’s amazing!

Kiry
06-05-2018, 09:12 PM
I have 70% hearing loss, and have worn hearing aids since I was 5. Current tech of hearing aids has allowed me to hear some things so much better due to the AI modifying and focusing in on music/voice and suppressing certain "din" (restaurants etc) depending on what noise is going on at the moment.
Last year, i updated my programming for "motorcycle" which allowed me to talk with my honey during 2UP.

Now that I have my own bike, it's super nice being able to be on the bike and surpressing most of that noise.
Still keeping my eye out for more comfortable (and safe) helmets that I can wear with my round head and hearing aids AND glasses.

Saluda
06-14-2018, 06:19 AM
Great to hear what the Spyder can do for so many. Wish you all the best !! :riding:

agrotom
06-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Great to hear what the Spyder can do for so many. Wish you all the best !! :riding:

I to am a handicap rider, and wish to register as one. I need an idea on how to mount my Walker on my 2012 RT-S ..Love the forum have been a lurker for a couple of years. My wife and I have been riding a HD RKC for many years, I have been riding since I was 12. I have a auto-immune disease that has my left leg totally numb from the toes to the crotch. Not very comfy but the Spyder has let us back on the road again. Thank you to all that work so hard to keep us lurkers happy. Love the bike and love the forum.

Thanks, Tom and Anita

Two cats
08-02-2018, 09:11 AM
I to am a handicap rider, and wish to register as one. I need an idea on how to mount my Walker on my 2012 RT-S ..Love the forum have been a lurker for a couple of years. My wife and I have been riding a HD RKC for many years, I have been riding since I was 12. I have a auto-immune disease that has my left leg totally numb from the toes to the crotch. Not very comfy but the Spyder has let us back on the road again. Thank you to all that work so hard to keep us lurkers happy. Love the bike and love the forum.

Thanks, Tom and Anita
good for you and the ms's. Keep on riding my friend:riding:. Every day on the road is a good day. Ride Safe, Ride Often.

Spydermonkey
12-19-2018, 03:13 PM
I’m in a wheelchair fixing to buy a spyder. Where can I get a rigid frame wheelchair rack

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-19-2018, 07:03 PM
I’m in a wheelchair fixing to buy a spyder. Where can I get a rigid frame wheelchair rack

I admire you for trying the Spyder thing..... I have seen some nice racks for wheelchairs, But I can't remember where …. You could contact " Wounded Warriors ", I'm sure they know of every rack made ……. I would suggest you Start your own THREAD " in the general forum " asking this question.....It is way more likely to get noticed.....jmho ….. Mike :thumbup:

Two cats
12-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Good for you. That sounds like you are ready to enjoy riding. What kind of spyder are you looking for. That would probably help with finding the right rack for it. If you aren't able to find one maybe a metal shop could build one for you that fitts your needs. Happy trails my Friend. :riding:And good luck on your search.

dcarver
05-18-2019, 04:11 PM
I also rode 2 wheels all my life. Wife loved it as well. I had a surgery that went south parilyised left leg and foot. Gave my bike to Dad .THOUGHT I would be looking for a convertible. Wife says lets look at Spyder's. My or our life has returned to better then normal. New friends new advevetures I love the community and everything it has done for my life and my marriage. Thanks to all you SPYDER RYDERS! Safe travels. BY the way disabled people are eligbile to get free admittace to natinal paraks! Contact your local park ranger he has the paper work to be filled out two weeks later you get your pass in the mail. Lets go exploring!

sledracer
06-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Just got a 2017 F3 T4 para for 30yrs. Just looking at handbrake options right now.

LeftCoast
06-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Anyone riding with Ataxia?

Peter Aawen
06-03-2019, 09:20 PM
While it's not specifically Ataxia LeftCoast, I have an 'acute vestibular dysfunction' as a result of Blast Induced TBI, multiple TIA's, & the cumulative damage that results, so I pretty much get all the symptoms of Ataxia plus a few more besides!! The good thing about my overall condition is that while I have virtually no 'normal' balance standing up, once I sit &/or can establish a suitable 'stable starting position', a lot of the activities & events that arguably contributed to the collective issues I experience now have also meant that I've effectively 'trained myself' to do better than 'just manage' many activities without any balance function/assistance from/in my inner ears & brain. So (after extensive testing by a number of interested people/organisations) I can still ride, drive, pilot an aircraft or a boat, & more, mostly at a fairly high skill level, so I'm pretty lucky that way. Altho 2 wheeled bicycles & motorcycles in areas where there's a lot of 'peripheral activity' going on really isn't a pretty thing to watch, so I only ride those things waay out in the bush where the only one I can hurt is me! That said, I do have a few places that I just don't go & things I really don't do/actively avoid these days; but really, that's not such a biggie when you consider what people suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, Motor Neurone Disease, & similar permanent 'diseases' go thru every day! And I've been able to come home to my family & friends when so many others haven't - so I reckon I'm doing OK! :thumbup:

martiniman
09-26-2019, 11:41 AM
Made my day seeing this thread! I have MS, most likely for many years, but not diagnosed until I was 50 when walking and riding two wheels became very difficult indeed. Thank you Spyder for letting me keep my face in the wind. I use a cane but am just about at the point where I need a 'walker.' Anyone else use a walker and if so, ever travel or mount a walker to the Spyder? If so, I'd be interested how you do it.

martiniman
09-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Hi Tom, I'm looking for the exact same thing. Rack for a 'walker.' Hopefully we will find something. Good luck.

WDAVEY
09-26-2019, 06:45 PM
I rode 2 wheels off and on since 1972 (all Harleys). But in the early spring of this year I started to develop pain/weakness in my left leg. Sciatic nerve issues plus arthritis and other problems in the hip made riding my 2015 Heritage Softail unsafe for me and those around me so I quit. Just after July 4th I purchased a 2019 Spyder RTL and I LOVE IT! So far I've got about 1,400 miles on it and feel very comfortable and safe. I have plans for a trip from Ft. Myers Beach to Key West in November and I'm really looking forward to it. P.S. I'm 72 years old and appreciate every mile that this bike allows me to travel!

Timclark
10-26-2020, 06:09 AM
Great idea.

I have left sided weakness, arm is pretty useless, looking to get a Spyder f3 and adapt the controls on left so as right hand does everything. I suffer from spasticity and lack of control on my left side from as major stroke. Trying to sell my thruxton900 just now to get a Spyder f3. Can’t wait to get on the road again. If anyone has tips as to how to move left side controls to right hand, please let me know :)