PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts to admit girls

Rogue Hawk
05-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Well, certainly some will consider this as a sign of the Apocalypse. The Girl scouts are also upset by this. But I think expanding choices for girls is a good thing. From what I understand, each has a different curriculum. I don't know how much Girl Scouts have changed. When my sister was in it it was basically home economics which bored her to no end.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/why-did-the-boy-scouts-decide-to-accept-girls/542769/

Bob Denman
05-17-2018, 12:04 PM
If the new name is "Scouts BSA".

It should just be "Scouts: BS!" :gaah:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-17-2018, 12:47 PM
didn't i see this in an episode of brady bunch with marcia & peter

Orange Spyder Man
05-17-2018, 02:39 PM
I think there will be trouble on the horizon ...

vided
05-17-2018, 02:52 PM
More pc retardation.
when will the tranny scouts be formed?

Grandpot
05-17-2018, 03:21 PM
This should make some of those over night camping trips interesting. :opps:

Chupaca
05-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Gender neutral scouts.....:yikes:

Mad Mac
05-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Well... seems like the girls are more like boys nowadays, than the boys are. Mac:dontknow:

UtahPete
05-17-2018, 04:19 PM
This should make some of those over night camping trips interesting. :opps:
The co-ed scout leaders are going to be too pre-occupied with each other to care what the scouts are up to :joke:

LeftCoast
05-17-2018, 05:54 PM
:clap: Some very good and humorous responses here but let me shed a little light as an Asst. Scoutmaster in my 9th year with one Eagle and another achieving Life in 5 days. The main drivers behind this are money and number of new scouts or lack thereof. We have seen Troop sizes diminish greatly over the last decade. We now compete with sports constantly, 2 working parent families, and a slowly dwindling interest in outdoor things among today’s youth. Plus by the time they get to high school Scouting isn’t considered to be that “cool”. Compounding this is the LDS leaving because of Scout policy regarding admitting Gay Scouts. Probably other reasons too. Bridging 3-5 Webelos into a Troop is considered a really good year.

Because numbers are down it means revenue is down. Add to that a lot of families with daughters are very interested in the Scout program and what it offers relative to Girl Scouts. It also simplifies their life if both kids are involved in the same activity the same evening. The decision is not popular with the Girl Scout organization as you can imagine as they are hurting for membership as well.

Compound this with the fact that getting parents to volunteer to be Scoutmasters, Asst. Scoutmaster or just help by volunteering time to the Troop is an absolute nightmare now. Adults just aren’t stepping up any more and it sets a bad precedent for their scouts. Scouts with involved parents do far better and those of us that are involved need a lot more help. We are burning out.

Our Troop will respect the policy but we haven’t gotten much guidance yet and we will be learning via trial and error. For the most part I don’t have a problem with it and it might help the young men to better respect women. I do strongly feel though that there needs to be some Boy only, and Girl only, opportunity and activities whether it be the summer camps or whatever.

loisk
05-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Girls have been part of Scouts Australia since 1973.

The sky hasn't fallen in..

ps husband is a Queens Scout as are his three brothers, and his father was a Kings Scout. Various leadership roles over the decades.

You are right about the challenges in gaining membership.

Blue Star
05-17-2018, 10:24 PM
:clap: Some very good and humorous responses here but let me shed a little light as an Asst. Scoutmaster in my 9th year with one Eagle and another achieving Life in 5 days. The main drivers behind this are money and number of new scouts or lack thereof. We have seen Troop sizes diminish greatly over the last decade. We now compete with sports constantly, 2 working parent families, and a slowly dwindling interest in outdoor things among today’s youth. Plus by the time they get to high school Scouting isn’t considered to be that “cool”. Compounding this is the LDS leaving because of Scout policy regarding admitting Gay Scouts. Probably other reasons too. Bridging 3-5 Webelos into a Troop is considered a really good year.

Because numbers are down it means revenue is down. Add to that a lot of families with daughters are very interested in the Scout program and what it offers relative to Girl Scouts. It also simplifies their life if both kids are involved in the same activity the same evening. The decision is not popular with the Girl Scout organization as you can imagine as they are hurting for membership as well.

Compound this with the fact that getting parents to volunteer to be Scoutmasters, Asst. Scoutmaster or just help by volunteering time to the Troop is an absolute nightmare now. Adults just aren’t stepping up any more and it sets a bad precedent for their scouts. Scouts with involved parents do far better and those of us that are involved need a lot more help. We are burning out.

Our Troop will respect the policy but we haven’t gotten much guidance yet and we will be learning via trial and error. For the most part I don’t have a problem with it and it might help the young men to better respect women. I do strongly feel though that there needs to be some Boy only, and Girl only, opportunity and activities whether it be the summer camps or whatever.

:agree: Parental participation is a big problem with troops. My older brother made Eagle, I made Life, a member of Order of The Arrow, and yes we all started as Cub Scouts. The troop dwindled down to the point of being three from my family, and two from another family that showed (maybe) up once a month. The troop stayed open just long enough for my brother to finish his Eagle, and then my dad closed it. The boys in the troop dropped out because, like you said, it was not cool, parental lack of participation (my Dad was their babysitter), and yes the other kids involvement in sports.

I too was a parental helper when my daughters were in Girl Scouts, but they got bored with it after three years, and stopped wanting to go.

WilderThomas
05-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Well, certainly some will consider this as a sign of the Apocalypse. The Girl scouts are also upset by this. But I think expanding choices for girls is a good thing. From what I understand, each has a different curriculum. I don't know how much Girl Scouts have changed. When my sister was in it it was basically home economics which bored her to no end.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/why-did-the-boy-scouts-decide-to-accept-girls/542769/

Many years ago, I joined the Cub Scouts, which was followed by the Webelos, the Boy Scouts, and finally, the Explorers. It was an all male fraternity of sorts which has done just fine, up until now. I've heard too, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has also now begun distancing themselves from the Boy Scouts for admitting girls. I'm sure that the founder of the Boy Scouts, Robert Baden-Powell never envisioned the organization he founded in 1908, going co-ed. Would the Boy Scouts, still retain their signature, organizational name, or would it be modified to something "more" suited to the 21st Century?

Blue Star
05-18-2018, 12:18 AM
Many years ago, I joined the Cub Scouts, which was followed by the Webelos, the Boy Scouts, and finally, the Explorers. It was an all male fraternity of sorts which has done just fine, up until now. I've heard too, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has also now begun distancing themselves from the Boy Scouts for admitting girls. I'm sure that the founder of the Boy Scouts, Robert Baden-Powell never envisioned the organization he founded in 1908, going co-ed. Would the Boy Scouts, still retain their signature, organizational name, or would it be modified to something "more" suited to the 21st Century?

Changing the name to Scouts, BSA.

Bob Denman
05-18-2018, 06:48 AM
I guess that there's going to be a whole bunch of new Merit Badges available:
Dance
Dating etiquette
Responsible Sex practices
...and when THAT one fails:
Parenting!

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Will there now be badges given for the 4 bases and will men now be allowed to join the wnba or are they still going to discrimate?
On a side note is everyone aware of the mormon church's heavy influence on the bsa?

granpa in Cincy
05-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Will there now be badges given for the 4 bases and will me now be allowed to join the wnba or are they still going to discrimate?
On a side note is everyone aware of the mormon church's heavy influence on the bsa?

Mormans announced they're breaking all bonds with BSA in 2019 and forming their own version of BSA.

Bob Denman
05-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Mormans announced they're breaking all bonds with BSA in 2019 and forming their own version of BSA.
Will they have their own version of the Girl Scouts also?
The "Sister-Wives"??? :roflblack:

LeftCoast
05-18-2018, 09:39 AM

Interestingly LDS has always been its own offshoot anyway and does not mingle their Troops with non LDS folks. They do run a camp on Catalina island that is wonderful and they are some of the best kids I’ve met in Scouting when it came to working with other Scouts that went to that camp. You do not have to be LDS to go there.

LeftCoast
05-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Will they have their own version of the Girl Scouts also?
The "Sister-Wives"??? :roflblack:

You are enjoying this far too much aren’t you Bob :roflblack:

Blue Star
05-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Interestingly LDS has always been its own offshoot anyway and does not mingle their Troops with non LDS folks. They do run a camp on Catalina island that is wonderful and they are some of the best kids I’ve met in Scouting when it came to working with other Scouts that went to that camp. You do not have to be LDS to go there.

Is this the old Cherry Valley Camp that the Boy Scouts used to run before they lost the lease? They lost the lease in the mid/late 70's if I remember right.

LeftCoast
05-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Is this the old Cherry Valley Camp that the Boy Scouts used to run before they lost the lease? They lost the lease in the mid/late 70's if I remember right.

Yep same camp. LDS has been running it since I went 9 years ago and probably before that. For a scout camp the food is great and you can’t beat the kayaking and hikes on the hills overlooking the water. I had a blast.

Rogue Hawk
05-18-2018, 10:29 AM
More pc retardation.
when will the tranny scouts be formed?

I am not sure what their policy is on trans scouts. But I see it as a positive sign that people who are 'different' are now being allowed to fully participate in society.

Bob Denman
05-18-2018, 10:59 AM
You are enjoying this far too much aren’t you Bob :roflblack:

Sometimes you just have to shake your head, and laugh! :roflblack: :thumbup:

MR. H1956
05-18-2018, 11:19 AM
If the new name is "Scouts BSA".

It should just be "Scouts: BS!" :gaah:
No I think traders come to mind.:yikes: yes Thats the word I'm looking for...... Traders

LeftCoast
05-18-2018, 11:26 AM
I’d like to invite anyone here to volunteer to be a merit badge counselor at a local Troop. Doesn’t take a lot of your time, you don’t have to be an expert and we’d appreciate the help!

ARtraveler
05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I’d like to invite anyone here to volunteer to be a merit badge counselor at a local Troop. Doesn’t take a lot of your time, you don’t have to be an expert and we’d appreciate the help!

Been there, done that. Remember Leathercraft?

Was also a Commissioner for a year--back in the 60's.

Those were the heydays of Scouting.

MR. H1956
05-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Yes those were the good old days. Remember them well.

LeftCoast
05-18-2018, 01:38 PM

Definitely better days as far as scouting numbers go and Leathercraft is now called Leatherwork but is still a merit badge!

ARtraveler
05-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Definitely better days as far as scouting numbers go and Leathercraft is now called Leatherwork but is still a merit badge!

I believe Leatherwork was always the correct term for the badge. My fifty year old memory is what is out of whack. :roflblack:

Mad Mac
05-18-2018, 04:59 PM
I even did a couple of years in Cub Scouts when I was a young tike living in San Jose, Ca., so yes I remember the leather wallets, belts, and drums we made for badges. Good days for sure. Mac:thumbup:

UtahPete
05-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Gender neutral scouts.....:yikes:
Gender-appropriate bathrooms aren't much of an issue out in the boonies anyway!

Bob Denman
05-18-2018, 06:58 PM
:agree: Opposite sides of the tree should suffice! :D

Blue Star
05-19-2018, 12:27 AM
Gender-appropriate bathrooms aren't much of an issue out in the boonies anyway!

In a prior post I asked about Cherry Valley, and the year after I first went I signed up to help at the camp. One of the requirements was to help with maintenance before the season opened. The project I worked on was dividing the bathroom/showers up to have both boys, and girls bathrooms/showers. This was back in the mid 70's, and do not remember the reason they told us.

Blue Star
05-19-2018, 12:30 AM
Yep same camp. LDS has been running it since I went 9 years ago and probably before that. For a scout camp the food is great and you can’t beat the kayaking and hikes on the hills overlooking the water. I had a blast.

I had a blast at Cherry Valley, I earned the canoeing, and marksmanship merit badge there. Also where I got inducted into the Order of the Arrow. Glad to see it is still being used for Scouting in one way or the other.

LeftCoast
05-19-2018, 12:41 AM
In a prior post I asked about Cherry Valley, and the year after I first went I signed up to help at the camp. One of the requirements was to help with maintenance before the season opened. The project I worked on was dividing the bathroom/showers up to have both boys, and girls bathrooms/showers. This was back in the mid 70's, and do not remember the reason they told us.

I’m going to guess it was to accommodate the female staffers but I suppose there could be other reasons too.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-19-2018, 07:37 AM
:agree: Opposite sides of the tree should suffice! :D

since scouts are honorable they would never peek :shocked:

vided
05-23-2018, 05:47 AM