PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Extended warranty - Canada - B.E.S.T. or third party

jbim
05-15-2018, 11:35 AM
I bought a 2018 F3L. I will get it Friday. I have to decide on the extended warranty.

My dealer promotes a 3rd party plan instead of B.E.S.T. from BRP. The product he offers primarily is from INDS (www.inds.ca (http://www.inds.ca)). he says it is a better warranty because it offers 7 years total versus BRP BEST 5 years. He hasn't given me a price for BEST yet but apparently he is offering the INDS at 20% discount. I know these things are grossed up a lot possibly doubled giving the dealer up to 50% commission.

One of his arguments is that the value of the extended warranty would be reflected in the trade-in / selling price. if / when I do so. I've never kept a bike more than three years so I could keep the money and use it for an eventual breakdown.

My experience with third party insurers is not great. I don't have a high level of trust. With a BMW car, it went belly up but the dealer honored it. With a Subaru, the claim was questioned even though it seemed obvious to me, at least, but was eventually paid.

I think it is a good idea to get the extended warranty, especially with all the electronics, the new display, BRP connect, etc.

Any comments / advice on BEST vs third party?

Any bad experiences, or positive ones?

For those who had claims, how many years into ownership and what component broke / became defective.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

JG

d.o.spyder-rts
05-15-2018, 11:40 AM
I purchased the BEST for my '12 spyder and glad I did, had to use it once and it paid for itself. I still have to make a decision on purchasing one for my '16, I leaning towards buying one. The 1330 engines haven't had many issues. I would compare coverages and make your decision based on that. Good luck. Dale

oldguyinTX
05-15-2018, 12:09 PM
I can only speak for the BEST warranty, but I must say that I am glad I have it. The first time I had to use it, it paid for itself. Yes, it is only for 5 years total, but you always get OEM parts. And the $50.00 deductible is more than reasonable. Something to consider with any other extended warranty is (A) what is the deductible, and (B) does it cover OEM of aftermarket parts.

nhoj
05-15-2018, 01:03 PM
I bought a 2018 F3L. I will get it Friday. I have to decide on the extended warranty. ...

You do not have to decide or pay for the BEST warranty until just before your OEM 2-year warranty expires.

If the dealer is pressuring you to buy the 3rd party warranty then maybe they have this time-constraint.

You should have received some sort of BEST warranty on the Spyder. Typical deals are 2 year OEM + 1 year BEST or 2 + 2. You still have to purchase or extend your BEST warranty before the 2-year OEM expires.

Go with the BEST warranty regardless, they are much less hassle when you need it.

BTW... Ontario is a huge province, what area are you in?

ARtraveler
05-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Extended warranties do add value--however--most are not willing to pay for it. Don't expect extra hundreds of dollars coming in at resale or trade time.

Can't specifically address the warranty in question--but I am guessing it has to do with more dealer profit to the sales person and has not a lot of extra to do with quality of the warranty. The extra two years is worth something on paper of course.

My extended warranty (BEST) just expired on my 2014. Happy to say I did not have to use a single dime to repair anything. No warranty issues arose whatsoever. This is where they make the money. If you need them--then they are good. Most vehicles do not.

Most stick with BEST. Your money, your choice. :yes:

jbim
05-15-2018, 01:30 PM

Yes it is! Brighton, between Cobourg and Trenton.

al0vely
05-15-2018, 02:26 PM
You do not have to decide or pay for the BEST warranty until just before your OEM 2-year warranty expires.

If the dealer is pressuring you to buy the 3rd party warranty then maybe they have this time-constraint.

You should have received some sort of BEST warranty on the Spyder. Typical deals are 2 year OEM + 1 year BEST or 2 + 2. You still have to purchase or extend your BEST warranty before the 2-year OEM expires.

Go with the BEST warranty regardless, they are much less hassle when you need it.

I would purchase the warranty later - and shop around for the best pricing. Make sure you purchase it a couple of months before your MFG warranty expires.

Triple B
05-15-2018, 02:57 PM
I also have a 2014, and unfortunately 2 weeks prior to the Best warranty running out, I had a bearing in the gearbox crater. My Best warranty covered the repairs, including a new gearbox. The only charge to me was the $50.00 deductible. All repaired, and.....no hassle. For my money, I wouldn’t even question it. BEST, BEST, BEST!

mytoolguy
05-15-2018, 04:27 PM
can you buy the best wrnty if you just bought a used spyder and what is their number?

ARtraveler
05-15-2018, 04:31 PM
can you buy the best wrnty if you just bought a used spyder and what is their number?

BEST warranty can only be purchased for vehicles where the current warranty has not expired. BEST will extend your BRP warranty up to three years additional--five year maximum.

If you current vehicle is two years or less of age--you can add BEST.