PDA

View Full Version : Question about brake pads

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-11-2018, 03:54 PM
I was getting ready to throw away the OEM pads I replaced last week when I noticed there is a shim attached to the backside of all six pads. I kind of think they are there for noise suppresion more than anything else. I looked at BajaRon's instruction sheet for the new EBC pads to see if they are mentioned. Either I'm a poor reader or he says nothing about the shims. So, should the shims from the old pads be used with the new pads? It wouldn't be a big job to put them on the front wheels but the back one would be a royal pain! Plus, I already smeared the backside of the pads with Disc Quiet goop.

Grandpot
05-11-2018, 03:57 PM
The only things you need to transfer to Ron's pads are the small wire clips if there are none on the new pads.

papanorm
05-11-2018, 04:35 PM
The backings are used on the new pads to stem brake squeal. Sounds like you used another method to do just that. If it works fine keep riding. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2018, 06:08 PM
The last time I changed my rear pads there wasn't enough clearance to get the caliper onto the brake disc ....so I didn't put them on ....I did put a very small amount of anti-squeal paste .....that worked ..... Mike :thumbup:

BajaRon
05-12-2018, 09:43 AM
The shims are designed to reduce noise. You don't have to use the shims. But if you can get them in, it doesn't hurt. You can still use CRC Brake Quiet which will increase noise reduction.

MDBrion
02-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the information folks, I’ll plan on cleaning up and reusing the bolt. Appreciate everyone’s insight !