PDA

View Full Version : Heat in the "cockpit"

viiiball
05-11-2018, 10:05 AM
About 6-8 months ago my wife traded in her 2011 RT for a 2017 RT. One thing we have noticed is the 2017 has a ton of heat in the cockpit area. Seems as if there is a lot more engine heat and it is not being dissipated correctly. For example, nothing at all can be kept in the compartment just in front of the crotch area. It is so hot it actually overheated her iPhone. But more important, it is causing her physically to overheat. She has the vented windshield so that helps a bit but not enough.

Is there a way to insulate between the cockpit and the engine better? Should we remove the undercarriage plastic and try and force some of the heat down and out? What other options exist to get the heat away from the rider? I know we can get some of the adjustable side vents but if I can prevent the heat from going to or towards the driver it will be the best option.

Why is this bike so much hotter than her 2011?

Need to find a solution or she won't be riding much.

TIA

jtoro1
05-11-2018, 10:33 AM
About 6-8 months ago my wife traded in her 2013 RT for a 2017 RT. One thing we have noticed is the 2017 has a ton of heat in the cockpit area. Seems as if there is a lot more engine heat and it is not being dissipated correctly. For example, nothing at all can be kept in the compartment just in front of the crotch area. It is so hot it actually overheated her iPhone. But more important, it is causing her physically to overheat. She has the vented windshield so that helps a bit but not enough.

Is there a way to insulate between the cockpit and the engine better? Should we remove the undercarriage plastic and try and force some of the heat down and out? What other options exist to get the heat away from the rider? I know we can get some of the adjustable side vents but if I can prevent the heat from going to or towards the driver it will be the best option.

Why is this bike so much hotter than her 2013?

TIA

Add the air scoops that the 2013 had I did. or baker wind deflectors

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 10:35 AM
About 6-8 months ago my wife traded in her 2013 RT for a 2017 RT. One thing we have noticed is the 2017 has a ton of heat in the cockpit area. Seems as if there is a lot more engine heat and it is not being dissipated correctly. For example, nothing at all can be kept in the compartment just in front of the crotch area. It is so hot it actually overheated her iPhone. But more important, it is causing her physically to overheat. She has the vented windshield so that helps a bit but not enough.

TIA
I responded more fully on the other thread. The kit includes insulating foam pieces that fit only the body panels and do a good job at keeping the engine heat off the body panels. That fix alone should help quite a bit, particularly when not moving.

DGoebel
05-11-2018, 10:41 AM
+1 What UP and others have said, I've read of several that installed the Lamonster Cat Delete to cool their 1330 RT's as well. Some even wrap the header pipes to further push the heat out the pipes vs radiating from the pipes.
The '13 Heat remediation kit is the easiest start. But, in standstill traffic, it can still be warm if there's not a good breeze.
Here's a link to someone with a '15 RT dealing with the heat.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?107061-2015-RT-Limited-Heat-coming-up-the-front-of-the-seat

And another mentioned in the above thread
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?105715-Air-Scoops

Bob Denman
05-11-2018, 10:58 AM
What color are (were) the two bikes?
Everyone experiences heat sensations differently.
There is nothing about the 1330 bikes, that would make them more prone to a heat issue. In fact: they were designed to reduce complaints of excess heat... :dontknow:

viiiball
05-11-2018, 11:03 AM
There is nothing about the 1330 bikes, that would make them more prone to a heat issue. In fact: they were designed to reduce complaints of excess heat... :dontknow:
First was white and second is charcoal. Sure this could amount for some of it. But you can really feel the heat coming up between the outer shell and the seat. There is definitely something different (besides color). I'm guessing less insulation between engine and rider but have nothing to compare that to so just speculating.

Still need to find a remedy. Looking into the scoops but have tool issues.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2018, 11:11 AM
:agree::agree::agree: .......I would have this issue - VERIFIED - using an infrared heat detector ..... if you are experiencing this , something isn't right ......Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 11:12 AM
First was white and second is charcoal. Sure this could amount for some of it. But you can really feel the heat coming up between the outer shell and the seat. There is definitely something different (besides color). I'm guessing less insulation between engine and rider but have nothing to compare that to so just speculating.

Still need to find a remedy. Looking into the scoops but have tool issues.
I suggest you get the kit and just install the insulating pads from it. That, and remove the plastic piece from the side panel area and replace with the included brace. I think that's a fairly easy way to address the heat issue without spending a lot of money. Then, install the scoops later when you have the tools to do it.

viiiball
05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
:agree::agree::agree: .......I would have this issue - VERIFIED - using an infrared heat detector ..... if you are experiencing this , something isn't right ......Mike :thumbup:
May be a stupid question but where would I go to find someone with an infrared heat detector? Definitely something isn't right as I mentioned, the glove compartment is too hot to even keep a phone in.

viiiball
05-11-2018, 11:20 AM
I suggest you get the kit and just install the insulating pads from it. That, and remove the plastic piece from the side panel area and replace with the included brace. I think that's a fairly easy way to address the heat issue without spending a lot of money. Then, install the scoops later when you have the tools to do it.
Thanks Pete. Sounds like a good interim step.

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 11:29 AM
May be a stupid question but where would I go to find someone with an infrared heat detector? Definitely something isn't right as I mentioned, the glove compartment is too hot to even keep a phone in.
Harbor Freight has them for about $20 I think.

Here's one on Amazon for $15 https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B00QYX6F5G

viiiball
05-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Harbor Freight has them for about $20 I think.

Here's one on Amazon for $15 https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B00QYX6F5G
Thanks Pete. We are currently an hour south of Springfield, MO so I just called Pitbull Powersports and ordered the RT Vent kit. Should have it the end of next week.

DGoebel
05-11-2018, 11:51 AM
viiiball, Have you addressed this issue with Pitbull Powersports? Len and the crew may have some experience correcting this on your year/model already. Just a thought. But the kit should help whilst moving for sure. I suspect they could install this for you as well.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2018, 01:04 PM
I've owned 3 Spyders - two V-twins and now my 2014 RT ........ my 08 GS had detectable heat coming up from the engine , more so if it was like 90 *F ...... My RT has NO heat issues at all and I've ridden it at 100 *F ...... this leads me to think SOMETHING is wrong .....like maybe they forgot to put on the OEM insulated sub-panels at the Factory .....stranger things have happened :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: .......... So this begs the Question - how many here have had EXCESSIVE Heat issues from the 1330 engine ?????? ............ if your Gas mileage goes from 40mpg to 30mpg something is wrong , this may be the case here also .............. Mike :thumbup:...PS the 2013 RT had the V-twin in the new 1330 FRAME , so this is a totally different situation !!!!!

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 01:09 PM
I've owned 3 Spyders - two V-twins and now my 2014 RT ........ my 08 GS had detectable heat coming up from the engine , more so if it was like 90 *F ...... My RT has NO heat issues at all and I've ridden it at 100 *F ...... this leads me to think SOMETHING is wrong .....like maybe they forgot to put on the OEM insulated sub-panels at the Factory .....stranger things have happened :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: .......... So this begs the Question - how many here have had EXCESSIVE Heat issues from the 1330 engine ?????? ............ if your Gas mileage goes from 40mpg to 30mpg something is wrong , this may be the case here also .............. Mike :thumbup:
I had heat issues with my wife's RT. Once I installed the kit on hers and saw what difference it made, I went ahead and installed it on mine. I wasn't having 'issues' with heat, but I'm glad I did because the cockpit is definitely cooler now - particularly the glove box, which was melting anything inside it.

The kit comes with insulating pads to install on the body panels; there were none installed at the factory in those locations.

Bob Denman
05-11-2018, 01:43 PM
I've never had a hint of any heat issues, with any of my three RTs... :thumbup:
But you know what they say: "No sense; no feeling!" :D
Seriously: I think that it has a lot to do with how you end up riding.
If you're constantly getting caught in stop & go traffic: you're gonna feel the heat!
That's perfectly normal.
But if you've got your knees out in the breeze, and it still bothers you: then you've got something to address.
Good luck!

ARtraveler
05-11-2018, 02:14 PM
No heat issues with any of the five RS/ and RT's I have owned. However, I am in Alaska. Summer days of 70 plus are rare in my area.

When we get down to the lower 48, that may be a different issue.

One daily rental in Hawaii (they don't do them anymore), and we were down to helmets, aloha shirts, jeans and tennis shoes. Got stuck in a traffic jam coming back and the rig overheated. Started fine again after a 15 minute rest.

viiiball
05-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. Here is what I have done:

1. Ordered RT vent kit from Pitbull Powersports. 3-5 day turnaround time.
2. Ordered temperature gun from Amazon
3. Sent message to Pitbull Powersports inquiring about heat issues with 2017 RT's

What I will do:
1. Next ride (once received temp gun and before any work is done) take temperature reading
2. Inquire of Pitbull Powersports about installing vent kit
3. Install insulation and replace panel with bracket from vent kit first if PbP cannot do the vent installation in a timely manner (only in area until 6/4)
4. Take temp reading after work completed
5. Install vent kit (once i figure out tools needed)

There is no doubt in my mind something is not correct. Its just way to hot and we do not ride in traffic. This occurs with "knees in the breeze" riding. Hopefully the above actions will help as I cannot have my wife pass out due to the heat.

DGoebel
05-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Good Plan, and if PBPS can't install that kit before you leave the area, I'd be shocked. But if you've already done some of the work yourself, it'll be a breeze to finish up.
I've seen at least two or three that have had the "body" section of the scoops painted to match the Spyder, one even had the scoops painted a different than body color, but matching their pinstriping/accent color.

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. Here is what I have done:

1. Ordered RT vent kit from Pitbull Powersports. 3-5 day turnaround time.
2. Ordered temperature gun from Amazon
3. Sent message to Pitbull Powersports inquiring about heat issues with 2017 RT's

What I will do:
1. Next ride (once received temp gun and before any work is done) take temperature reading
2. Inquire of Pitbull Powersports about installing vent kit
3. Install insulation and replace panel with bracket from vent kit first if PbP cannot do the vent installation in a timely manner (only in area until 6/4)
4. Take temp reading after work completed
5. Install vent kit (once i figure out tools needed)

There is no doubt in my mind something is not correct. Its just way to hot and we do not ride in traffic. This occurs with "knees in the breeze" riding. Hopefully the above actions will help as I cannot have my wife pass out due to the heat.
That would be great info, once you have done the before and after install. Looking forward to it.

BTW, one of the advantages of this kit install, if you change your own oil, is that it provides much easier access to the oil filter cap.

jaherbst
05-11-2018, 05:17 PM

I agree. Check the exhaust flanges. What is the engine temp? Running too lean? Fan not operating correctly? Radiator cooling fluid?

This is not normal! You should not need a vent kit on the 1330. Kits were designed to alleviate the heat problems on the 998 for 2013.

​Jack

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 05:51 PM
I agree. Check the exhaust flanges. What is the engine temp? Running too lean? Fan not operating correctly? Radiator cooling fluid? This is not normal! You should not need a vent kit on the 1330. Kits were designed to alleviate the heat problems on the 998 for 2013.​Jack
Do you see a down side to installing the kit?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Do you see a down side to installing the kit? I think " Jack " meant to say " GASKETS " for the exhaust pipes ...... If one or more have failed on a 17 Spyder , I would expect that to be covered under warranty because they would be defective at His low mileage ............jmho.....Mike :thumbup:

Easy Rider
05-11-2018, 07:54 PM

TIA

I have a '17 RT and live in Florida.

I put the "deluxe" windshield with adjustable vents on it.
Also changed the lower side deflectors to their adjustable ones.
Having the shield DOWN some helps too.

But I don't notice that it is any hotter (while moving) than my bike with a fairing was.

One small note: I did notice hot air coming up between the front of the seat and the back of the "glove box". Put a strip of stick-on weather stripping there to stop that.

Based on your description, I suggest that the shop should remove the major side panels and inspect to be sure that something isn't out of place causing poor air flow in the engine compartment. Also check to be sure that the front air inlets aren't blocked.

My glove box gets a bit warm but nothing like you described.
IIRC, there is a thick foam insulation under it.

I assume that the engine temp gauge doesn't go above half way ??

Easy Rider
05-11-2018, 07:59 PM
viiiball, Have you addressed this issue with Pitbull Powersports? Len and the crew may have some experience correcting this on your year/model already. Just a thought. But the kit should help whilst moving for sure. I suspect they could install this for you as well.

This machine is still under warranty, right ?
Why would you NOT insist that the dealer have a look at it ??

KX5062
05-12-2018, 09:42 AM
My 2008 with the 998 engine was insane. It boiled the gas in the tank. I fixed it, but it took some doing. With my current 2014 RT with the 1330 engine, I too can't store my phone in the front glove box. It's so hot my phone will shut down too. I also tried storing a digital camera and it too shut down. It's not that unusual and has been a fairly common complaint for those that live in the warmer climes. I replaced the catalytic converter with the bypass, but the heat reduction was minimal. (That was more for the right foot than the glove box.)

I personally don't find it overly concerning, but I was coming from the 2008 that was horrible. The fix Utah Pete referenced should help. Also, removing some of the underbody panels would help, this was one of the fixes for the older bikes.

jaherbst
05-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Do you see a down side to installing the kit?

Yes, the unnecessary expense.

Temps here in AZ reach 110-115* and they (vents) are not needed on the 1330. Something else is causing the excess heat and I doubt if the vents

would solve the problem.

Jack

UtahPete
05-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Yes, the unnecessary expense. Temps here in AZ reach 110-115* and they (vents) are not needed on the 1330. Something else is causing the excess heat and I doubt if the vents would solve the problem. Jack
Yes, I know about riding in the desert. The heat coming off the asphalt when stopped in traffic is unbelievable. Air scoops probably won't make any difference.

SpyderAnn01
05-12-2018, 11:03 AM
I’m pretty sure that on the 17 RT the acoustic panels have been removed, so you already have a big part of the 13 heat retrofit deal done. I’m like some of the others who never experienced heat issues with any of my RT, even in the Las Vegas heat.

canamjhb
05-12-2018, 11:20 AM
I agree that you have something unusual going on. I don't feel any excessive heat from the bike here in Arid-Zone-A even when the temperature tops 100. I do remove the wind deflectors below the mirrors for warm weather riding. That allows a bit more wind flow over my knee and body area. A friend has adjustable deflectors and loves them but their cost has not appeared on my radar screen budget yet. Good luck finding a solution. I'll be interested in what you find out.....

viiiball
05-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Went riding today and took a little outdoor thermometer with us to place in the glove box to see what kind of temp readings we are getting. When we started the thermometer read 76 degrees. After 30 minutes of riding, thermometer read 91, ambient outside temp was 71 and it was cloudy so no direct sunshine. I took readings as we stopped throughout the day but when we got "home" the thermometer read 116, outside ambient temp was 82 and it was partly cloudy so some sun some clouds but not all day bright sunshine. 116 is too hot to keep anything in that glove box. I've tried to attach pictures of all the above.

So if something is "wrong" what should I do? Go to a dealer? Call BRP? We no longer live near the dealer where we purchased it.

Don't recall if I mentioned in any of my posts above but the wife has the vented windshield. Going to remove the air deflectors under the mirrors to give more air flow to her. And to answer some of you that inquired about engine temps, it never gets past 1/2 way. No indication that the engine itself is running hotter than expected.

Bob Denman
05-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Have you asked your dealer to take a look at it yet?
The 1330s just aren't known for this problem... :dontknow:

UtahPete
05-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Have you asked your dealer to take a look at it yet? The 1330s just aren't known for this problem... :dontknow:
Bob, it's not uncommon for fully paneled bikes to have problems with excessive heat on the rider. This isn't necessarily something the dealer or BRP would consider a warranty issue, since it doesn't affect the bike's performance or safety.

I remember some friends of mine had FJR's when they first came out and they loved everything about them except the cockpit heat at standstill.

Some of the Spyders have had issues with excessive heat coming out of the side vents and 'burning' the rider's leg. While BRP may take those complaints into consideration when tweaking the next model year, they're not necessarily going to offer up a solution to those riders who experience excessive heat.

So, for those who do find the cockpit heat bothersome, trying the '13 fix kit is an option, before going to more extreme lengths to get relief from the heat.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Bob, it's not uncommon for fully paneled bikes to have problems with excessive heat on the rider. This isn't necessarily something the dealer or BRP would consider a warranty issue, since it doesn't affect the bike's performance or safety.

I remember some friends of mine had FJR's when they first came out and they loved everything about them except the cockpit heat at standstill.

Some of the Spyders have had issues with excessive heat coming out of the side vents and 'burning' the rider's leg. While BRP may take those complaints into consideration when tweaking the next model year, they're not necessarily going to offer up a solution to those riders who experience excessive heat.

So, for those who do find the cockpit heat bothersome, trying the '13 fix kit is an option, before going to more extreme lengths to get relief from the heat.
Well how come all the 1330 Spyders aren't excessively HOT ??????, why only a FEW .....doesn't make sense...... I stand by my other posts on this one ........ Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Went riding today and took a little outdoor thermometer with us to place in the glove box to see what kind of temp readings we are getting. When we started the thermometer read 76 degrees. After 30 minutes of riding, thermometer read 91, ambient outside temp was 71 and it was cloudy so no direct sunshine. I took readings as we stopped throughout the day but when we got "home" the thermometer read 116, outside ambient temp was 82 and it was partly cloudy so some sun some clouds but not all day bright sunshine. 116 is too hot to keep anything in that glove box. I've tried to attach pictures of all the above.

So if something is "wrong" what should I do? Go to a dealer? Call BRP? We no longer live near the dealer where we purchased it.

Don't recall if I mentioned in any of my posts above but the wife has the vented windshield. Going to remove the air deflectors under the mirrors to give more air flow to her. And to answer some of you that inquired about engine temps, it never gets past 1/2 way. No indication that the engine itself is running hotter than expected.

As I said in my PM to you , I'm going to check my RT for this tomorrow .......... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
05-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Well how come all the 1330 Spyders aren't excessively HOT ??????, why only a FEW .....doesn't make sense...... I stand by my other posts on this one ........ Mike :thumbup:

Mike, I think it has more to do with the rider than the bike. Some riders find that heat to be bothersome and some don't. My wife did, but I didn't.

However, there is no doubt whatsoever that the glove box heat is (or was) excessive in both bikes - to the point of making it unusable for electronics, chapstick or energy bars.

DGoebel
05-12-2018, 06:52 PM
+1 what UP has been saying. He's done the '13 kit on TWO '14's and is happy with it.
Though my only experience is the difference between an "unfixed" 2012 and my "fixed" '13, the scoops keep my glove box at or below ambient temps. I've said this before, I can now carry a chocolate bar in my glove box on a 15 hr ride on July 5th last year through Iowa, High 90's all day, and it doesn't pour out of the wrapper.

I understand all the 1330 riders who say they have no heat issues, but have they put a thermometer in the Glove box like viiiball has and tested their bikes glove box temps? Their idea of no heat issues may not be viiiball's idea of a heat issue.

viiiball, hopefully you're getting Pit Bull to install it for you and that it solves your concerns. It's a relatively simple inexpensive fix for most RT owners.

DGoebel
05-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Mike, I know that you are blessed to live in one of the blissfully cooler more tree covered road regions of the country, and I think this has more to do with what each of us individuals thinks "hot" is. (I know you bring your Spyder down to Springfield too, but If a chocolate bar or energy bar melts in the glove box, it's too hot. If you never carry items like that in your glove box, then it's not a concern. Same with Jack's perspective and all those that have never had a heat issue.

I'd measure mine with a thermometer tomorrow when I take my wife out for (her choice) Mother's day Ribs and Ice Cream way over in Wisconsin, but it's barely gonna get in the 70's.
Riding with a buddy with a unvented 2012. Maybe we can two matching thermometers tonight and test them.

By the way, DO ANY OF you have the Insulated glove box liner still in? Mine took up so much space I yanked it .

canamjhb
05-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Well, maybe it's all a matter of what we get use to living with. While I don't think there is excessive heat coming from the bike, I would never put chapstick or energy bars in ANY enclosed compartment in ANY of my vehicles. That is a recipe for melt down where I live. Personally, I don't think a 30 degree rise from ambient temperature in a small enclosed compartment is unreasonable for any motor vehicle. I carry chapstick in my pocket and chocolate in my belly and never have any problem.....

UtahPete
05-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Well, maybe it's all a matter of what we get use to living with. While I don't think there is excessive heat coming from the bike, I would never put chapstick or energy bars in ANY enclosed compartment in ANY of my vehicles. That is a recipe for melt down where I live. Personally, I don't think a 30 degree rise from ambient temperature in a small enclosed compartment is not unreasonable for any motor vehicle. I carry chapstick in my pocket and chocolate in my belly and never have any problem.....
Exactly. Thank you.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Mike, I know that you are blessed to live in one of the blissfully cooler more tree covered road regions of the country, and I think this has more to do with what each of us individuals thinks "hot" is. (I know you bring your Spyder down to Springfield too, but If a chocolate bar or energy bar melts in the glove box, it's too hot. If you never carry items like that in your glove box, then it's not a concern. Same with Jack's perspective and all those that have never had a heat issue.

I'd measure mine with a thermometer tomorrow when I take my wife out for (her choice) Mother's day Ribs and Ice Cream way over in Wisconsin, but it's barely gonna get in the 70's.
Riding with a buddy with a unvented 2012. Maybe we can two matching thermometers tonight and test them.

By the way, DO ANY OF you have the Insulated glove box liner still in? Mine took up so much space I yanked it . Dave I said in an earlier post I have ridden my 1330 RT at 100 degree's F , and SpyderAnn rides a lot at that temp and higher ..... a chocolate will start to melt at 95 * F ...... have you considered the HUMAN body is 98* F ? .............. there's a whole lot of difference between warm & Hot ......As an LEO, I had to rescue quite a few Dogs in cars that were well over 120* F and the motor was not running ..... maybe U.P. is correct and nothing is wrong with the Spyder just the person ...... Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Easy Rider
05-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Have you asked your dealer to take a look at it yet?
The 1330s just aren't known for this problem... :dontknow:

THIS.

But you need to understand that the inside of your CAR can get hotter than 116F when it is just sitting out in the sun.

Bob Denman
05-13-2018, 04:24 PM
I was one of the loudest proponents of the theory that this issue (Other than for the 2013 RTs...) is more a case of unreasonable expectations; than it was anything else. nojoke
IF the owner of the Spyder is a Rider with some experience with these mounts: there MIGHT BE something going on...

But if it's a newbie who's used to driving around in air-conditioned comfort: they need to realize that you don't always get everything that you want... :dontknow:

And as far as trying to compare it to a closed-up car in the Sun: :shocked::hun:

UtahPete
05-13-2018, 05:24 PM
I was one of the loudest proponents of the theory that this issue (Other than for the 2013 RTs...) is more a case of unreasonable expectations; than it was anything else. nojoke

To clarify my position on this;

I don't think there is a 'heat problem' with the post- 2013 RTs, in the sense that BRP has an obligation to 'fix' it.
I do think that, like many bikes with fully bodywork, there can be a build-up of heat under the bodywork, particularly the 'cockpit area'
I think experienced riders (of all kinds of bikes) probably accept it as part of the motorcycling experience
I think those that are relatively new to motorcycling are bothered by the heat and would like to find a way to reduce the cockpit temperature
I believe the '13 fix by BRP can also bring benefit to the later models with the 1330 engine in reducing cockpit heat

Nobody is bashing the 1330 RTs as being unacceptably hot in the cockpit area. At least, I'm not. But, if there's an easy fix for what some find bothersome, why not try it? It costs less than a pair of LED headlights if you do the work yourself.

Easy Rider
05-14-2018, 08:59 AM
To clarify my position on this;

I don't think there is a 'heat problem' with the post- 2013 RTs, in the sense that BRP has an obligation to 'fix' it.

In general, no doubt true.

But one should NOT gloss over the possibility that a given individual machine might have some kind of factory defect making matters worse that BRP would be obligated to fix.

Oh, and WalMart bags are EVERYWHERE. Having one stuck to the intake grill is not out of the question.

UtahPete
05-14-2018, 09:21 AM
In general, no doubt true.

But one should NOT gloss over the possibility that a given individual machine might have some kind of factory defect making matters worse that BRP would be obligated to fix.

Oh, and WalMart bags are EVERYWHERE. Having one stuck to the intake grill is not out of the question.
Good point, ER

jcthorne
05-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Having dealt with this on Louise bike and a few customers bikes...they are all the same. The heat just bothers some more than others.

That said, adding the 2013 intake vents and replacing the acoustic panels with the strut does make the glove box and heat at the forward end of the seat much less hot. Its a significant reduction.

There is nothing wrong with the bikes, and they are FAR better than the V-twin RTs that preceded them. But some still find the heat that is present uncomfortable and adding the 13 scoops does help a good deal.

UtahPete
05-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Having dealt with this on Louise bike and a few customers bikes...they are all the same. The heat just bothers some more than others.

That said, adding the 2013 intake vents and replacing the acoustic panels with the strut does make the glove box and heat at the forward end of the seat much less hot. Its a significant reduction.

There is nothing wrong with the bikes, and they are FAR better than the V-twin RTs that preceded them. But some still find the heat that is present uncomfortable and adding the 13 scoops does help a good deal.

Good to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about. nojoke

RinconRyder
05-14-2018, 03:31 PM
But you need to understand that the inside of your CAR can get hotter than 116F when it is just sitting out in the sun.

The closed inside of a sedan sitting in the summer sun in my area can easily exceed 140F. And it takes less than an hour to reach that temp.

viiiball
05-15-2018, 07:46 AM
I want to thank everyone for their input to my original post. And in my OP I misidentified the year of the original bike, it was a 2011 RT Limited, not a 2013.

This is not a case of coming from an air conditioned car to a motorcycle. With that said, we have 7 years of riding comparison and we can unequivocally state that the heat coming up through the seat and the temp in the glove box is WAY higher in the 2017 RT Limited than we experienced with the 2102. The glove box was usable with the 2012 and NOT with the 2017. The 2102 had little noticeable heat flowing up through the merging of the seat and the body work. The 2017, there is VERY noticeable heat coming up through the seat.

I have the RT Vent Kit on order at Pitbull Powersports and once that comes in I will be talking with them about this issue. I cannot return to the original dealer to have this addressed since we no longer "live" near that (or any) dealer. We live in a RV and travel the country so we do not have a relationship with any one dealer.

Again, thank you to everyone but please understand I need to find a resolution to a real issue, not a perceived one. Hoping that the vent kit or something else that Pitbull can address for us will reduce the heat my wife is experiencing in her cockpit.

Easy Rider
05-15-2018, 03:42 PM
I have the RT Vent Kit on order at Pitbull Powersports and once that comes in I will be talking with them about this issue.

Good luck with that.

I think the prudent thing to do would have been to talk to them about it and let them give it a quick look.......BEFORE you spent any money on a guess. The thing is still under warranty, after all.

AND......I don't think that anybody here is trying to say that your wife should "just get over it".
What we ARE trying to say.....collectively.....is that there might actually be something wrong with your specific machine because virtually NO other owner of that model has a serious problem like that.

RinconRyder
05-15-2018, 04:24 PM

I was wondering about this too. I have a 2016 RTL and even in very warm Arizona do not have anything resembling a heat issue.

Easy Rider
05-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Went on a long ride yesterday; Florida....hot and humid.
I "tested" the glove box and surrounding area a few times and it DOES get hotter than I thought.

But it is not a problem while moving....and not any worse than 2 wheels with the exposed engine right under you when you stop.

To the OP: Before spending a lot of time and money, run your hand over the space between the front of the seat and the back of the glove box. I had a significant hot air flow coming out there and fixed that with some stick-on weather strip. Of course that won't last forever and will need to be replaced once a year or so probably.

Lew L
05-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Haven't had a problem with heat in the glove box------- but I did put a thin piece of foam on the bottom of the glove box to keep the protective device form bouncing around. When off the bike it's in my pocket or on my belt. Maybe it's not hot enough in Nevada ------ but we did hit plenty of heat last summers trip and WILL get plenty of heat this trip to the southwest. A vented windshield keeps the humans cool enough.

Lew L

Flamewinger
05-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Curious what added accessories the bike has? Any grills in the front? Heat shields that might block air flow? Is this a used bike or bought new? What coolant is used? In the Goldwings, the use of a coolant with silicates caused the water pump to go bad. Not sure if the Ace engine is similar?

I have just over 3300 miles on my 2018 and the chapstick in my glove box is fine. I've had a few days of 90+ temps in the California Central Valley with no problems. Air flow is a big deal and anything that slows that flow can make a difference. Guessing you're using the right coolant, plugs, oil etc. Not sure but can the gas octane make a difference in engine temp?

canamjhb
05-24-2018, 07:23 PM
I had some Tupperware off today. The area around the center consul box has a lot of Styrofoam. I couldn't see how any more insulation could be added. In fact, I was impressed by all the heat insulation on the Tupperware panels too. I am 2nd owner and maybe the PO added extra insulation but it does look factory installed.....

viiiball
05-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Curious what added accessories the bike has? Any grills in the front? Heat shields that might block air flow? Is this a used bike or bought new? What coolant is used?

This is a completely stock bike except for the vented windshield so there is nothing as far as accessories that would be causing this heat. The engine is not overheating at all so not sure how coolant could be affecting this.

viiiball
05-25-2018, 01:03 PM
The RV Vent Kit came into Pitbull Powersports this morning so I we will be riding up there to get it tomorrow. Don't have an opening in Service until 6/7 and we will have left the area so going to have to either install myself or find another dealer along our travels to install for me.

But, we did go out riding with my newly purchased heat gun. It was 86 degrees and cloudy. Heat right under the seat, next to the oil dip stick registered 135 degrees. This is the heat she feels coming up through the intersection of the seat and the bodywork.

DGoebel
05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Post overlap, I started typing, asking if it was in as you must have been hitting transmit on your post above, and didn't see your post until after I sent mine. Good example of the heat differential. I'd get some comparisons of glove box versus external ambient as well. Then after you scoop it, check again and post the differences.

viiiball
05-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Viiiball, has the '13 vent kit been installed yet? I thought you were travelling through the Springfield area and trying to get it done while there.

As I posted above, the part just came in today and Pitbull has no openings in the service department until 6/7 and we leave the area on 6/5

UtahPete
05-25-2018, 01:28 PM
The RV Vent Kit came into Pitbull Powersports this morning so I we will be riding up there to get it tomorrow. Don't have an opening in Service until 6/7 and we will have left the area so going to have to either install myself or find another dealer along our travels to install for me.

But, we did go out riding with my newly purchased heat gun. It was 86 degrees and cloudy. Heat right under the seat, next to the oil dip stick registered 135 degrees. This is the heat she feels coming up through the intersection of the seat and the bodywork.
The only part of the kit install you will need cutting tools for is to enlarge the existing vent hole. Some people don't even do this. I'd say go ahead and install the kit yourself, leaving the cutting to some future date if you feel you want even more air flow. Otherwise, you won't need any special tools to install this and you will see a benefit from it. Basic panel removal tool (T-30), screwdriver and drill to make the new holes in the panel for the scoop itself.

viiiball
05-25-2018, 01:29 PM
The only part of the kit install you will need cutting tools for is to enlarge the existing vent hole. Some people don't even do this. I'd say go ahead and install the kit yourself, leaving the cutting to some future date if you feel you want even more air flow. Otherwise, you won't need any special tools to install this and you will see a benefit from it.
Great idea. Thanks Pete

viiiball
05-25-2018, 01:31 PM

BTW, heat registered right in the crotch area of the seat was 102

Easy Rider
05-25-2018, 03:15 PM
This is the heat she feels coming up through the intersection of the seat and the bodywork.

I think this is about the third time I have suggested this:
A small strip of stick on weather strip applied at that "intersection" will stop about 100% of the air flow coming up there.
Plug the gap and no air flow.

viiiball
05-25-2018, 03:39 PM
I think this is about the third time I have suggested this:
A small strip of stick on weather strip applied at that "intersection" will stop about 100% of the air flow coming up there.
Plug the gap and no air flow.
Yep, thanks.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-25-2018, 08:43 PM
BTW, heat registered right in the crotch area of the seat was 102 102 F :gaah:....... the only thing that would have an issue with this Temp ............would be an " Ice Cube ".......... seriously - you do realize the normal human body temp is 98 F +/- .....so 102F is only 4 degree's warmer .....................and I also checked my glove box temps a few times and it never went above 98 F ............. Mike :thumbup:

Easy Rider
05-26-2018, 07:47 AM
.. seriously - you do realize the normal human body temp is 98 F +/- .....so 102F is only 4 degree's warmer .........

More strange assertions from our self-appointed expert on everything.

Are you really saying that if you have 98 F air blowing on YOU that it does not feel HOT ??

SERIOUSLY ??

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2018, 10:29 AM
More strange assertions from our self-appointed expert on everything.

Are you really saying that if you have 98 F air blowing on YOU that it does not feel HOT ??

SERIOUSLY ??
The way you think .....BOGGLES my mind ...... I said this in another post ----YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ :gaah::gaah::gaah:........ I didn't say ANYTHING about Air blowing on Anyone .....and if you know even the basics about Anatomy you would know that the 98 F temp is the bodies CORE Temp not the skin Temp ....AGAIN please, please, please STOP reading my Threads and Posts ...... I make FAR to much sense for you to comprehend ....so why are torturing your-self :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: .................and of Rant .........Love Mike :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:............... PS, I haven't self appointed myself to be an EXPERT about anything !!!

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 10:32 AM
They way you think .....BOGGLES my mind ...... I said this in another post ----YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ :gaah::gaah::gaah:........ I didn't say ANYTHING about Air blowing on Anyone .....and if you anything about Anatomy you would know that the 98 F temp is the bodies CORE Temp not the skin Temp ....AGAIN please, please, please STOP reading my Threads and Posts ...... I make FAR to much sense for you to comprehend ....so why are torturing your-self :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: .................and of Rant .........Love Mike :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:
Mike, let it go. It doesn't matter that he disagrees with you.

viiiball
05-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Picked up the vent kit this morning. Pitbull was closed but a sales guy was there delivering a Sea Doo so he let us in and found the part. The box was open but appears everything is in there. No instructions. Should there be instructions?

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Picked up the vent kit this morning. Pitbull was closed but a sales guy was there delivering a Sea Doo so he let us in and found the part. The box was open but appears everything is in there. No instructions. Should there be instructions?
Yes. Give me your email in a PM and I'll send you the PDF.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2018, 11:09 AM
Pete I am fine with Dis-agreeing on something / anything, this is part of human discourse ............. However it's the RUDE Personal attacks He feels are necessary in almost every comment He has made to me ............. awhile back He told everyone on this Forum that I was an " ASS " and He got away with it .... So now I'm sure He feels emboldened to say ANYTHING He wants ..... and the Administrator ( who I reported this to - TWICE ) apparently agree's with Him .....:banghead::banghead::banghead: ....................go figure .................Mike :thumbup:

viiiball
05-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Yes. Give me your email in a PM and I'll send you the PDF.
PM sent

Easy Rider
05-26-2018, 05:08 PM

In this case, as many others, I don't really KNOW if I agree with him or not.
Because he finds a need to try and make his posts "cute" but instead they just come out obtuse and confusing.

But then......when he goes off on a tirade against me......the verbiage is absolutely 100% clear.....except for the part where he makes a feeble attempt to explain the original post.

Do YOU understand what that first post about body temperature means ??

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Pete I am fine with Dis-agreeing on something / anything, this is part of human discourse ............. However it's the RUDE Personal attacks He feels are necessary in almost every comment He has made to me ............. awhile back He told everyone on this Forum that I was an " ASS " and He got away with it .... So now I'm sure He feels emboldened to say ANYTHING He wants ..... and the Administrator ( who I reported this to - TWICE ) apparently agree's with Him .....:banghead::banghead::banghead: ....................go figure .................Mike :thumbup:
Yeah I get that he insulted you. Just ignore him.

Easy Rider
05-26-2018, 05:12 PM
. and the Administrator ( who I reported this to - TWICE ) apparently agree's with Him .....:banghead::banghead::banghead: ....................go figure .................Mike :thumbup:

Looks like that should be pretty easy to figure out. :2thumbs:

P.S. I thought you had me on your "ignore" list.

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 05:13 PM
Because he finds a need to try and make his posts "cute" but instead they just come out obtuse and confusing.

But then......when he goes off on a tirade against me......the verbiage is absolutely 100% clear.....except for the part where he makes a feeble attempt to explain the original post.

That's just Mike. He doesn't mean anything by it. No need to get upset.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Looks like that should be pretty easy to figure out. :2thumbs:

P.S. I thought you had me on your "ignore" list.
Yes you are ..... my IGNORE list means ...under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I EVER Help or give you any assistance or answers to ANY problems you are having...... However, if I saw you lying by the side of the road ( after - say an accident ) I would call the police ......:dontknow: :2excited:................ Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2018, 06:04 PM
That's just Mike. He doesn't mean anything by it. No need to get upset. WRONG - actually there are quite a few people on this Forum who agree with my assessment of " Easy Rider " and the way He comports Himself here ....... It's very interesting how some people are willing to give Him a Pass ....kind of re-minds me of Mrs Cl *nton & Mr C*mey , & *lapper & *rennan people who have been PROVEN to be Liars and got away with it ....... end of Rant :gaah::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ...........Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 06:28 PM
WRONG - actually there are quite a few people on this Forum who agree with my assessment of " Easy Rider " and the way He comports Himself here ....... It's very interesting how some people are willing to give Him a Pass ....kind of re-minds me of Mrs Cl *nton & Mr C*mey , & *lapper & *rennan people who have been PROVEN to be Liars and got away with it ....... end of Rant :gaah::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ...........Mike :thumbup:
Yeah but, what are you two guys accomplishing by ranting at each other? It's not even the Off Topic forum.

Kinda unrelated to the thread topic don't ya think? (Unless you're dealing with a different kind of 'heat in the cockpit' :roflblack:)

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Yeah but, what are you two guys accomplishing by ranting at each other? It's not even the Off Topic forum.

Kinda unrelated to the thread topic don't ya think? (Unless you're dealing with a different kind of 'heat in the cockpit' :roflblack:) Really Pete - well I won't go back in History and bring up ALL your Off -topic posts ...... However I will re-mind you about this reminder about doing it ....EVERY time you do :lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack:..... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Really Pete - well I won't go back in History and bring up ALL your Off -topic posts ...... However I will re-mind you about this reminder about doing it ....EVERY time you do :lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack:..... Mike :thumbup:
I never claimed to be perfect, Mike! But, I'm getting close!

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 06:55 PM
In this case, as many others, I don't really KNOW if I agree with him or not. Because he finds a need to try and make his posts "cute" but instead they just come out obtuse and confusing. But then......when he goes off on a tirade against me......the verbiage is absolutely 100% clear.....except for the part where he makes a feeble attempt to explain the original post. Do YOU understand what that first post about body temperature means ??
Honestly, Easy Rider, you are on my ignore list because too many of your posts were upsetting to me. That doesn't mean you had nothing valuable to say - it's just the way you say it is more inflammatory than it needs to be, I think. I was the same way with Mike for a long time (although back then I wasn't using the 'ignore' feature - I just tried to understand why he seemed so hostile in his posts). Since then, I've come to appreciate Mike for his honesty and expertise. Yes, I do have to read through what he's saying to understand his point (AND sometimes I think he's being obstinate in insisting that his is the only way to look at things), but for me it's worth the effort.

Now, can you both just drop this - or take it to private messages? Thanks.

Easy Rider
05-26-2018, 07:31 PM
(AND sometimes I think he's being obstinate in insisting that his is the only way to look at things),

What ? How dare you suggest that he is not perfect.

As for being "inflammatory", sometimes the truth isn't pretty and trying to candy-coat it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

I posted a 2 sentence question asking him to explain his message......and look what a crap-fest resulted.

I'll take the blame.....if you really think I deserve it....really.

UtahPete
05-26-2018, 07:41 PM
What ? How dare you suggest that he is not perfect. As for being "inflammatory", sometimes the truth isn't pretty and trying to candy-coat it doesn't serve any useful purpose. I posted a 2 sentence question asking him to explain his message......and look what a crap-fest resulted. I'll take the blame.....if you really think I deserve it....really.
I'm not assigning blame. That would be judgmental and I try to avoid being that (not always successful). I don't 'blame' anyone. I'm just pointing out that what started out with the best of intentions has deteriorated into a slug-fest that doesn't benefit anyone.

When I say your posts are inflammatory (for me), it's because you are either stating as fact something that can only be opinion, or worse, are using inflammatory language to express your distaste for those whose world-view is different than your own (and mine usually is). That is far different than presenting 'truth' that is independently verifiable. No matter, you are who you are and I am who I am and we upset each other so who needs that?

viiiball
05-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Sooooooo. Back to my post. Took the Tupperware off today. There is acoustic foam under the front panels but nothing heat reflective. I installed the two heat reflective pieces that came with the vent kit. Brackets in the vent kit were not installed as our 2017 already has the brackets.

I see why the glovebox gets hot, there is one skinny skinny skinny piece of insulation. Probably less than 1/8 inch thick. Have a picture but don’t know how to post the picture from my phone. Wish this site still used an app.

Next step is to try the weather strip suggestion. Then I want to try to get some additional insulation under the glovebox. And finally the install of the scoops. Since the scoops require body modification that will be the last thing I attempt.

As for the 102 temp on the seat, my Harley seat registered 86 after same ride so definitely more heat with the Spyder. Probably because there is a lot more airflow with the Harley. But I do appreciate the anatomy lesson 😂

Easy Rider
05-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Next step is to try the weather strip suggestion.

It took me a couple of tries to get it positioned just right so it would seal fairly good without getting ripped off every time the seat closes.
The stuff I used has a paper backing and I did not remove that; don't know how long that will last. I suspect it will have to be replaced every year or so.

I thought I had seen a dark grey high density glove box insulator that was about a half inch thick......but that memory might be mixed up with something else.

Richardv
05-27-2018, 08:29 AM

I do understand what he is saying. Body temperature is 98 .... when you sit on the seat for a period of time, the seat becomes at 98 degrees like your butt. So, 102 is only 4 degrees more, therefore not really burning hot......

Really simple to understand, when you want to...... ;)

Mr. White
05-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Gentlemen, I am confused. I bought a 2017 RT a month ago and ride him often. I rode yesterday in south Texas and it was in the high 90s. I have not noticed any heat coming up around the seat, dash, etc. other than normal engine heat. I had no noticeable heat from my '14 RT-L either. I do not argue about your heat problem, just wondering why I don't have it. If I do, I don't notice it. I hope you can fix it to your satisfaction.

:spyder2:

Easy Rider
05-27-2018, 12:55 PM
therefore not really burning hot......

Really simple to understand, when you want to...... ;)

One has to be able to understand the original question .......in order to offer useful replies, I guess.

I'm pretty sure that the original complaint was "uncomfortably hot", not "burning hot".

And I'm relatively sure that almost everybody who is subjected to heat at 98 F will find it uncomfortable.

Easy Rider
05-27-2018, 12:58 PM
If I do, I don't notice it.

Different people have different comfort thresholds for all kinds of things.

Lew L
05-27-2018, 10:17 PM
I put a piece of 1/2" foam in the bottom of the " glove box" . Mostly to keep my personal protective device from rattling around. BUT, now that I keep it on my person, the box is full of other stuff. None of it is hot. Sun burn lotion tube is not swollen, electronic tire pressure gauge works normally. Other items are NOT hot to the touch.
By the way this is after riding for over 3 hours in the so. UTAH DESERT.

Hope the heat problems get solved.

Lew L

UtahPete
05-27-2018, 10:45 PM
I put a piece of 1/2" foam in the bottom of the " glove box" . Mostly to keep my personal protective device from rattling around. BUT, now that I keep it on my person, the box is full of other stuff. None of it is hot. Sun burn lotion tube is not swollen, electronic tire pressure gauge works normally. Other items are NOT hot to the touch.
By the way this is after riding for over 3 hours in the so. UTAH DESERT.

Hope the heat problems get solved.

Lew L
It would suck to have those rounds cooking off!

Lew L
05-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Rounds,rounds?..... many hundreds of degrees to " cook off" any ammo, and so much less powerful. Now they are at body temperature nojoke.

Lew L

UtahPete
05-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Rounds,rounds?..... many hundreds of degrees to " cook off" any ammo, and so much less powerful. Now they are at body temperature nojoke Lew L
It was meant as a joke Lew :thumbup:

Lew L
05-30-2018, 06:16 PM
It was meant as a joke Lew :thumbup:

Sure_Pete,
I know, no offense taken.

Mr. White
05-31-2018, 09:34 AM
​"If I do, I don't notice it." When I said this earlier about the heat on Mr. White, I meant that living in South Texas, I expect it to be hot....engine and private parts. Ya gotta live with it around here. This Saturday when my group (The Hill Country Road Riders) heads out for breakfast, the forecast is for 102 around 1600 hours. However, I should be home by 1400 hours when it is only 98 or so.

:spyder2: