PDA

View Full Version : I did it...almost

jbim
05-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Hello Spyder Lovers:

Today I woke up and determined this would be a great day to try out a Spyder. I called a local BRP dealer and they had an 2018 RT Limited available for demo rides. I showed up on my motorcycle wearing all my gear. After signing a tree-page waiver, him taking a photocopy of my driver's licence, a crash course on the meaning of all the buttons and controls on or near the handlebar and grips, off I went.

I went to this ride prepared, having read a lot of stuff from this website and having watched tons of YouTube. I tried to pre-programmed my brain for the following:

- Easy on the grips
- No clutch
- No right grip brake lever
- Only one brake pedal
- It drives more like a car than a motorcyle

I started off very easy on the grips , I thought, but I felt a bit of instability. So easier it is then. That took all of one minute. Next I familiarized myself with the relationship between throttle response and gears. I found the first 3-4 gears quite short. So be it. That took about 5 minutes.

I was on a two-way road with no stop signs or lights so not much breaking at first. That's good, I have time for the other stuff. Finally, I must stop so I apply the brake (not even one thought of using the lever :)). Smooth on the brake for a distance, I see I can either shift down or let the computer do it. No problem.

Next item on the checklist: a 90-degree turn. That one took a bit of getting used to as I wasn't sure how fast I could go and how much force I would feel. I would say after 2-3 90-degree turns I felt alright.

I would say very little learning curve, if any. I am sure when I get mine, a few hours will do the trick. Now it was time to get back. I realized I felt a lot more relaxed than on my 2-wheel not having to concentrate as much on every dimple in the road. I felt young again, enjoying a nice ride on a bike. I felt almost as if I regretted not having done this earlier. I didn't want to return the RT right away but obviously, I had to. I found out that in my area, people on motorcycles wave at Spyders

I would say this is quite revealing: I love it. This is a keeper. When I turned 50, I bought a Honda S2000. The day I test rode it, 2-3 hours after my return home, I was still grinning. Not as much with the Spyder, probably just because I am older, but a grin maker and grin stamper just the same.

Based on my research, I thought I wanted a 2017 F3S-SE6 but that is not what I rode. Unfortunately, he didn't have one and he will not take my motorcycle as trade-in. Now I need to decide whether I test an F3 or buy one anyway before testing it. In any event, I will be shopping for my next ride ASAP. If someone has any good advice on dealers in Ontario between Toronto and Montreal, let me know. Ideally, I would like to trade my current bike as part of the deal.

Thank you all for the valuable input I found on this site.

Be safe.

JG

BajaRon
05-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Ride the F3 first. It's the only way you'll know you're getting the right ride. At these prices, do you really want to guess?

ARtraveler
05-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Yup! Test drive the F3 also. Two entirely different bikes. The RT is a "touring couch," and the F3 is a "cruiser." Different strokes for different folks. :yes:

Lin
05-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Definitely take a test drive. Do you ride alone or with a passenger? You may want to consider that if it applies. Good luck!

ArañaRider
05-09-2018, 05:00 PM
I forgot how to post on here. can someone tell me how ? to post a new thread

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Ride the F3 first. It's the only way you'll know you're getting the right ride. At these prices, do you really want to guess?
:agree: Try to find a Spyder group near you; one of them may let you ride their F-3.

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 05:20 PM
I forgot how to post on here. can someone tell me how ? to post a new thread
Go to 'forum'. Select the right category for your thread. Then hit the button for starting a new thread.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Definitely take a test drive. Do you ride alone or with a passenger? You may want to consider that if it applies. Good luck!
:welcome:.......... also I think every New Rider should read your Thread on this .:clap:.... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-09-2018, 05:39 PM
You've been a member here for nine and a-half years, and you're finally getting around to the test rides? :shocked:

:D Better late than never!! :2thumbs:
And also agree: give the F3 a spin; before writing a check! :thumbup:

trikermutha
05-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Test drive another model then decide what you want then call Imotorsports. See if they will take your trade?

SteveP
05-09-2018, 06:29 PM
I’ve dealt with Snow City Cycle in Toronto for a few years now , they are ok by me for service and Hans ( who sold me my Spyder ) was good to deal with . Good advice from the folks on here about test driving both , many have owned Spyders from the first model to the new F3 and RT . Good luck 👍

oldgoat
05-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Test drive another model then decide what you want then call Imotorsports. See if they will take your trade?

He hasn't put in his location. I think it is Ontario. No deliveries to there.

trikermutha
05-09-2018, 07:36 PM
He hasn't put in his location. I think it is Ontario. No deliveries to there.

OH well I tried :dontknow:

Chupaca
05-09-2018, 08:01 PM
it is all in that test ryde..:lecturef_smilie: once you get the basics done you move into the world of mods and farkeling... sponsors will help you get what you need to improve the safety, comfort, beauty and performance you may feel a need for.....:thumbup:

jbim
05-09-2018, 09:07 PM
You've been a member here for nine and a-half years, and you're finally getting around to the test rides? :shocked:

:D Better late than never!! :2thumbs:
And also agree: give the F3 a spin; before writing a check! :thumbup:

Yes, indeed. I became fascinated by the Spyder as soon as they came out. It was close to when I crashed my bike in a construction zone. Now I regret not doing so earlier, specially when I bought my current bike in 2015. It would have saved me a lot of money! But I think I believed then that I still had the 2-wheel in me. Recently, my son started riding and it made me realize that I was not as confident as before on a 2-wheel.

ottawa-rider
05-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Between Montreal and Toronto, that's a bit vague.

If you are closer to Toronto, I can't help, but more toward Eastern Ontario, there's Loiselles Sport in Embrun (http://www.loisellesports.com/) and Maximum Powersports in Hawkesbury (https://www.maximumpowersports.ca/).

I got the first 2 Spyders from Loiselles, always had good service.

The current one, a brand new 2018 RT 10th Anniversary is from Maximum, I made my decision based on price, can`t really comment on service yet but have not heard any negatives about them.

Woodaddict
05-09-2018, 10:44 PM
joining in NOV 2008 and still without a spyder??????? will you ever make the change, switch, feel time to go from 2 wheels to 3? maybe MORE time will tell!! I also liked them when first came out, I was drooling........until March 2017, and bought used 2015 RTL with 224 miles on March 15, 2017. matter of about 13 days of looking and thinking

stmike 1800
05-10-2018, 06:08 AM
I am stuck like the original poster, but even worst as i will have to drive 8 hrs just to get a test drive . Dealer in my area does not offer test rides.:sour:

Bob Denman
05-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Yes, indeed. I became fascinated by the Spyder as soon as they came out. It was close to when I crashed my bike in a construction zone. Now I regret not doing so earlier, specially when I bought my current bike in 2015. It would have saved me a lot of money! But I think I believed then that I still had the 2-wheel in me. Recently, my son started riding and it made me realize that I was not as confident as before on a 2-wheel.
Thanks for the "Back-Story". :thumbup:
So this isn't a "Summer Fling": it's a real long-term love affair! :clap: :2thumbs:

jbim
05-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Between Montreal and Toronto, that's a bit vague.

I know it's complicated. Nothing is simple! My office is in TO, I live between Toronto and Kingston and I visit Montreal frequently as this is where I was born and grew up. So that gives me a lot of options for buying and servicing my Spyder.

BoxyLady
05-10-2018, 07:52 AM
joining in NOV 2008 and still without a spyder??????? will you ever make the change, switch, feel time to go from 2 wheels to 3? maybe MORE time will tell!! I also liked them when first came out, I was drooling........until March 2017, and bought used 2015 RTL with 224 miles on March 15, 2017. matter of about 13 days of looking and thinking

An example of the polar opposite in relation to the OP. We started the first conversation about me getting a Spyder last Saturday over lunch. By yesterday (Wednesday), it was in our garage :yikes:

The internet really allows you to get a lot of information from many sources quickly, allowing for an informed decision much faster than the old days...

jbim
05-10-2018, 07:58 AM
We started the first conversation about me getting a Spyder last Saturday over lunch. By yesterday (Wednesday), it was in our garage :yikes:

Now that I have decided, I would like things to move as quickly.

DGoebel
05-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Now that I have decided, I would like things to move as quickly.
Allons-y

Bob Denman
05-10-2018, 10:48 AM
:congrats: :thumbup:

jbim
05-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Allons-y

Good on you, your French is up to date!

I test rode the F3 Daytona today. I thought I would prefer the F3...but I don't. I like the low center of gravity, it allows more graceful turns! The handlebar on the Daytona is too wide. It emphasizes every little input / pressure on the grips. Easier to make the bike feel unstable. The forward peg position forces your legs to open up more.

So generally I prefer the seating position of the RT. I need to determine whether the u-fit system could allow me to replicate somewhat on the F3 the seating position of the RT.

One of the reasons I wanted to like the F3 is the price and the fact that it doesn't have as many gadgets, for example the audio system. I think there are too many distractions on the RT. Specially with BRP connect on the 2018.

F3-For

Price
Low center of gravity, even more in corners, 90-degree turns
No gadgets, no toys for distraction
More opportunity to farkle

F3-Against

Seating position (maybe can me mitigated with u-fit, maybe adding floorboards)

RT-For

Seating position
More comfortable, better wind protection, I like the power windshield

RT-Against

Price
Higher center of gravity, not as nimble for 90-degree turns

Anyone has comments or advice?

Once again, thanks

JG

Easy Rider
05-10-2018, 04:43 PM
I think there are too many distractions on the RT. Specially with BRP connect on the 2018.

Those things are only "distractions" if you LET them be.

My advice is to find a new '17, partly because of the discounts and partly because I think BRP really blew it with that "BRP connect" crap on the '18 models. I am really glad I got my '17 when I did. The '18 RT would NOT be an option for me.

Blue Star
05-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Good on you, your French is up to date!

I test rode the F3 Daytona today. I thought I would prefer the F3...but I don't. I like the low center of gravity, it allows more graceful turns! The handlebar on the Daytona is too wide. It emphasizes every little input / pressure on the grips. Easier to make the bike feel unstable. The forward peg position forces your legs to open up more.

So generally I prefer the seating position of the RT. I need to determine whether the u-fit system could allow me to replicate somewhat on the F3 the seating position of the RT.

One of the reasons I wanted to like the F3 is the price and the fact that it doesn't have as many gadgets, for example the audio system. I think there are too many distractions on the RT. Specially with BRP connect on the 2018.

F3-For

Price
Low center of gravity, even more in corners, 90-degree turns
No gadgets, no toys for distraction
More opportunity to farkle

F3-Against

Seating position (maybe can me mitigated with u-fit, maybe adding floorboards)

RT-For

Seating position
More comfortable, better wind protection, I like the power windshield

RT-Against

Price
Higher center of gravity, not as nimble for 90-degree turns

Once again, thanks

JG

i too went for the F3T based on price, and have some regrets that I did so. While I enjoy the F3T when riding solo, I think the RT is better when two-up, and if I had it to do over would have bought the RT.

bushrat
05-11-2018, 08:38 AM
jbim...check your PM box

jbim
05-11-2018, 03:04 PM
jbim...check your PM box

Just did. Is Leeburg close to The Villages. We stayed at TV the last three winters.

jbim
05-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Maximum Powersports in Hawkesbury (https://www.maximumpowersports.ca/).

The current one, a brand new 2018 RT 10th Anniversary is from Maximum, I made my decision based on price, can`t really comment on service yet but have not heard any negatives about them.

I am working on a deal with Maximum. Should be done early next week. I'm 75% sure I will take the F3-S SE6 with 12V plug, windscreen, Shad cases and heated grips. With these accessories, the bike does what I want and it is $5000 less than a 2018 RT. He didn't have any 2017 RT's. He is the only one offering me a decent price on my BMW as trade.

jbim
05-11-2018, 03:12 PM
I’ve dealt with Snow City Cycle in Toronto for a few years now , they are ok by me for service and Hans ( who sold me my Spyder ) was good to deal with . Good advice from the folks on here about test driving both , many have owned Spyders from the first model to the new F3 and RT . Good luck 👍

I did my test ride at Bay Marine in Trenton, very nice people.

jbim
05-11-2018, 03:14 PM

It will happen soon. I promise. Working on a deal right now.

Bob Denman
05-11-2018, 04:09 PM
:D Good luck! :thumbup:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

bushrat
05-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Just did. Is Leeburg close to The Villages. We stayed at TV the last three winters.

Yes, Leesburg, FL is just south of The Villages, about 20 minutes away. Villages is gargantuan compared to our nice, cozy little park. You're close enough in either Ontario or Florida that we're quite likely to cross paths. Hurry up and get that Spyder!! We ryde in ON for the summer, in FL during winter, and haul back and forth. We look for interesting backcountry roads and quaint little bistros in both places, as well as in between sometimes.

jbim
05-11-2018, 09:14 PM
haul back and forth

What kind of trailer do you use?

jbim
05-11-2018, 09:16 PM
:D Good luck! :thumbup:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I'ts going to happen sometimes next week. I am now debating between an accessorized F3-S, RT or F3L, in increasing order of $$$.

stmike 1800
05-12-2018, 06:14 AM
I am working on a deal with Maximum. Should be done early next week. I'm 75% sure I will take the F3-S SE6 with 12V plug, windscreen, Shad cases and heated grips. With these accessories, the bike does what I want and it is $5000 less than a 2018 RT. He didn't have any 2017 RT's. He is the only one offering me a decent price on my BMW as trade.
I talk to Nick at Maxum ,seemed like an ok guy on the phone ,and the price i got was very good . But it is a 8 hr drive one way for me,so i bought local.

bushrat
05-12-2018, 06:51 AM
What kind of trailer do you use?

Below are some pics of my rig. This is technically classed as 'home-made'; it was designed by Allan Irish, a fellow Spyder owner who lives close to you, to haul his Spyder RT to FL and back (ON); it was built locally by Excel Welding & Fabrication. Allan made a half-dozen round trips over the past 5 years, all without incident, then sold it to me when he moved up to a 'toy hauler'. Trailer is welded aluminum throughout, and weighs 350 lbs. Overall length is 12'; bed length is 96" and bed width between wheel wells is 66". Tires are 13". Rides on a 3500 lb. drop axle with leaf springs. Bed height is 12" above ground level; easy to load. In short, a strong, light weight trailer; doesn't have full floor or nose guard. A sort of 'minimalist' trailer. An RT will load with 2" clearance either side; my F3 has 3-1/2" either side; I use a 4"x4" wooden block on the outside of each front wheel to prevent sideways creep. Front wheels of Spyder ride against the short plates at front of bed, meaning that the nose (frunk) hangs somewhat over the spare and just misses the tongue jack. Photos show the tri-fold (hinged) side ramps which fold onto the side bed plates of the trailer; the third ramp for rear wheel lifts off and is bolted to the frame below the Spyder when travelling. Handles very well at Interstate speeds. I went south last fall without a cover and hit torrential rains; no problems. Coming back north, I used a BRP trailering cover, and found I got lots of dust collecting underneath; nothing a good bath won't fix. No other issues so far. Load-wise (with Spyder on-board), I'm hauling less than 1400 lbs. total, well within the capacity of both the trailer axle weight and my vehicle's towing ability. Could probably even tow it with my Spyder if I had a hitch. Very light to move around when storing.

SteveP
05-12-2018, 02:45 PM
I am working on a deal with Maximum. Should be done early next week. I'm 75% sure I will take the F3-S SE6 with 12V plug, windscreen, Shad cases and heated grips. With these accessories, the bike does what I want and it is $5000 less than a 2018 RT. He didn't have any 2017 RT's. He is the only one offering me a decent price on my BMW as trade. Saw this today at GP Bikes in Whitby, $27,000 asking , 3000kms on it
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://7711c344-9c59-4858-ad6e-6dda00f6a5b7/imagejpeg