PDA

View Full Version : air scoops

Randy McClure
05-07-2018, 08:48 AM
I know this is an old issue. Bought a 2011 rt limited, have seen links for the scoops but says page does not exist. Any suggestions on where to buy?

quasi
05-07-2018, 08:55 AM
I got mine from velocity power sports in ladson south carolina a couple years ago. think the kit was about 70/80 bucks. installed them myself. should be able to still source them from a spyder dealer.

Devious56
05-07-2018, 09:01 AM
I was told that the air scoops are no longer available from BRP. They may be out there somewhere, but you will have to search for them. This comes from a pretty good source.

Randy McClure
05-07-2018, 09:04 AM
I was told that the air scoops are no longer available from BRP. They may be out there somewhere, but you will have to search for them. This comes from a pretty good source.

figures:mad:

Highwayman2013
05-07-2018, 09:26 AM
figures:mad:

Before giving up, inquire at a couple dealers. We got them installed by our dealer on our 2012 so they know about them.

Snowbelt Spyder
05-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Google search for part number 219800388. Looks in stock here:

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/can-am-rt-vent-kit-219800388-part.html

Double check with your dealer to see if they can still get them direct.

Bob Denman
05-07-2018, 12:31 PM
What is happening with your bike; that you feel the scoops are needed? :dontknow:

UtahPete
05-07-2018, 01:10 PM
I know this is an old issue. Bought a 2011 rt limited, have seen links for the scoops but says page does not exist. Any suggestions on where to buy?
Once you have the part number, you can google it for a source;

ManufacturerBrand New, Genuine Can-Am (http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/can-am-parts.html) PartManufacturer Part#219800388Item NumberOEM1232969

Randy McClure
05-07-2018, 02:16 PM
What is happening with your bike; that you feel the scoops are needed? :dontknow:

extreme heat under glove box and seat

UtahPete
05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
extreme heat under glove box and seat
This kit will definitely fix that; former owner should have had it done under the recall program.

Tomline
05-07-2018, 04:51 PM
I ordered mine on line received them and installeed them in two 4 & 1/2 days. Follow instructions EXACTLY and cut body work Carefully and you will be pleased with the outcome!

Schlic
05-07-2018, 07:07 PM
This kit will definitely fix that; former owner should have had it done under the recall program.

Recall was for 2013's, not 2011's....

JP58
05-07-2018, 09:50 PM
My dealer ordered mine from BRP last summer.

Randy McClure
05-08-2018, 07:19 AM
Deff. want to order them. Thanks for all the input.

reildeal
05-09-2018, 07:03 AM

I have '13 RT L which has the scoops installed presumably by dealer. I have had some issues with the left side panel, have lost it twice during rides even at fairly low speeds. I always check the installation after checking the oil. But adding the extra air to help the cooling issues seems to add more "pressure" behind the panel and has caused it to come off. Anyone else have similar experience?

Randy McClure
05-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Ok I found them on bike Bandit for $67 plus shipping. I have a 2011 rt limited, it has the honey comb vents on the panels below the mirror. Before I spend the money, will they fit?

Snowbelt Spyder
05-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Ok I found them on bike Bandit for $67 plus shipping. I have a 2011 rt limited, it has the honey comb vents on the panels below the mirror. Before I spend the money, will they fit?

Hey Randy. They don't just plug and play. There's a little cutting involved on the outer panel - a template is supplied - and you remove the inner black panel under that - called the acoustic panel. And I believe the kit will include a brace that is installed in place of that acoustic panel. A number of folks on here have done the install themselves. So, just a little work involved for the install, but they fit.

Randy McClure
05-09-2018, 08:13 AM
Hey Randy. They don't just plug and play. There's a little cutting involved on the outer panel - a template is supplied - and you remove the inner black panel under that - called the acoustic panel. And I believe the kit will include a brace that is installed in place of that acoustic panel. A number of folks on here have done the install themselves. So, just a little work involved for the install, but they fit.

I can deal with the cutting and fitting, just want to make sure they will work with me 2011.
thanks for the input.

Randy McClure
05-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Does the kit contain both scoops?

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 09:22 AM
I can deal with the cutting and fitting, just want to make sure they will work with me 2011. thanks for the input.
I believe all model years of RT are identical in that respect.

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Does the kit contain both scoops?
Yes

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 09:25 AM
I have '13 RT L which has the scoops installed presumably by dealer. I have had some issues with the left side panel, have lost it twice during rides even at fairly low speeds. I always check the installation after checking the oil. But adding the extra air to help the cooling issues seems to add more "pressure" behind the panel and has caused it to come off. Anyone else have similar experience?
If you keep losing the side panels there is something else wrong. A properly installed kit does not cause that.

Randy McClure
05-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Yes
where did you get yours

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 10:17 AM
where did you get yours
powersportswarehouse.com they are a distributor and don't carry stock ... all these online places get the part from BRP

DGoebel
05-09-2018, 10:26 AM
If you keep losing the side panels there is something else wrong. A properly installed kit does not cause that.
+1 What he said, I and many others have a 13RTL with scoops and have taken my Spyder to it's top speed (Not really that fast) into the wind and have never had a loose side panel.

Randy McClure
05-09-2018, 01:45 PM
ok, order the kit, wife will not be to happy I spent $80:sour: but I think it's worth for the comfort.

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 02:23 PM
ok, order the kit, wife will not be to happy I spent $80:sour: but I think it's worth for the comfort.
Definitely. I have it on both my '14 RTLs. Wife is very happy she can now keep her phone, lipstick, etc in glove compartment without a meltdown.

Doc - Riverside
05-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Randy PM me your E-mail address and I’ll send you the instructions I developed to install the scoops.

UtahPete
05-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Randy PM me your E-mail address and I’ll send you the instructions I developed to install the scoops.
I took Doc up on this offer myself when I went to install my scoop kit. It helped quite a bit. I've got some addendums to that if you want them. Wait until you get the scoop kit first though, or the instructions won't make a lot of sense.

Randy McClure
05-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Definitely. I have it on both my '14 RTLs. Wife is very happy she can now keep her phone, lipstick, etc in glove compartment without a meltdown.

Will do thanks!

Randy McClure
05-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Can the scoops be painted? I assume they come in black

UtahPete
05-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Can the scoops be painted? I assume they come in black
They're a two-tone flat and glossy black plastic. So, yes, they can be painted.

UtahPete
05-10-2018, 04:05 PM
They're a two-tone flat and glossy black plastic. So, yes, they can be painted.

bump with picture

Bob Denman
05-10-2018, 05:04 PM
I've seen some that have been painted: it makes them appear as if they had always been on the bike; not just an add-on! :thumbup:

viiiball
05-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Just posted a standalone thread about cockpit heat. I did a search for "heat" before posting and this did not come up.

My wife has a 2017 RT and the heat in the cockpit area is tremendous. It makes her physically ill sometimes when riding. Will these scoops fix that? We live and travel in an RV and I don't have access to a lot of tools so would this be something I could install myself or would I need a local dealer to have the work done?

Will the part number 219800388 fit a 2017 RT?

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Just posted a standalone thread about cockpit heat. I did a search for "heat" before posting and this did not come up.

My wife has a 2017 RT and the heat in the cockpit area is tremendous. It makes her physically ill sometimes when riding. Will these scoops fix that? We live and travel in an RV and I don't have access to a lot of tools so would this be something I could install myself or would I need a local dealer to have the work done?

Will the part number 219800388 fit a 2017 RT?
When I installed these on our two 2014RTs, it made a noticeable difference in cockpit heat while moving. For the scoops to work they need air flow. However, the kit also includes heat shield foam pieces that attach to the side body panels just in front of your legs, and they do a good job of keeping the engine heat off the panels.

I believe they would fit the 2017 because I think there has been no relevant change in the RT body during the model years.

The installation is pretty straightforward except for enlarging the hole where the OEM vent (under the mirror) is removed. You can get away with not enlarging the hole, but air flow will be accordingly restricted. To enlarge the hole requires cutting the body plastic with something; I used a dremel.

BernardD
05-11-2018, 01:35 PM
bump with picture

Anyone know where I could find the cover that goes on the hole where we have the screew. I lost one on one side.
thanks
Bernard

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Anyone know where I could find the cover that goes on the hole where we have the screen. I lost one on one side. thanks Bernard
I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Can you take a picture of where it's missing?

Also, which model and year is yours?

Randy McClure
05-11-2018, 01:56 PM
I've seen some that have been painted: it makes them appear as if they had always been on the bike; not just an add-on! :thumbup:

I think I'm going to paint all of it a high glass black. Hard to find the pearl white without paying a high price.
I'm cheap! LOL

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 02:14 PM
I think I'm going to paint all of it a high glass black. Hard to find the pearl white without paying a high price. I'm cheap! LOL
I like the flat black at the back of the scoops because I don't like reflections. But, that's me. And, living in a bright sun state.

BernardD
05-11-2018, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Can you take a picture of where it's missing?

Also, which model and year is yours?

I have 2013 RTS
I circled where it is missing. This is normally covered so you do not see the head of the screew.

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 02:49 PM
I have 2013 RTS
I circled where it is missing. This is normally covered so you do not see the head of the screew.
Before installing the scoop kit, I had to remove the lower deflector (clear plastic) which is held in place by that screw (as I recall). Are you missing the lower deflector?

DGoebel
05-11-2018, 03:49 PM
BernardD, I too lost that bolt head cover inside the scoop. Because of their shape they're a very specific part of the kit, and I don't think you can get replacements for them. I've asked at 5 different dealerships showing them the exposed bolt head. I'm considering making a template and "wrap" that spot with carbon fiber or something.

UtahPete
05-11-2018, 03:51 PM
BernardD, I too lost that bolt head cover inside the scoop. Because of their shape they're a very specific part of the kit, and I don't think you can get replacements for them. I've asked at 5 different dealerships showing them the exposed bolt head.
Thanks. I'd forgotten about that and didn't realize that's what he was talking about. I never installed those covers.

DelBeeMan
06-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Just ordered my RT Vent Kit for my 2013 RTL. I've made many other cooling mods and hoping this is just one more to help tame the heat-beast!

Any of you that have installed these before that might have any helpful tips please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!

Spydel
06-18-2018, 06:42 PM
The missing bolt head covers can be ordered from BRP. There is a part number for them.

UtahPete
06-18-2018, 07:05 PM
The missing bolt head covers can be ordered from BRP. There is a part number for them.
How about you provide the part number and a link to where they can be ordered? Thank you.

JP58
06-18-2018, 07:11 PM
Just ordered my RT Vent Kit for my 2013 RTL. I've made many other cooling mods and hoping this is just one more to help tame the heat-beast!

Any of you that have installed these before that might have any helpful tips please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!

Yes on the 2013 there was a recall for heat. I believe the dealer does it free of charge along with other things the recall had. Check with them.