PDA

View Full Version : A long overdue homecoming

vided
05-06-2018, 06:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/06/wwii-marines-bodies-idd-returned-home-thanks-to-tech-advances.html

Bob Denman
05-06-2018, 07:22 PM
I hope that this brings some closure to their families.

Rogue Hawk
05-07-2018, 11:57 AM
The Marines never leave a fellow Marine behind.

RinconRyder
05-07-2018, 03:27 PM
The Marines never leave a fellow Marine behind.

Except those who served on ships sunk in battle. For the same reason that sailors are not routinely recovered.

Bob Denman
05-07-2018, 06:17 PM
If you hadn't mentioned the Marines and the Navy at the same time: I wouldn't have remembered this one... :shocked:

Question: Why is the Navy used to transport Marines?

Answer: Because if they brought Sheep on Board; it would just be too obvious!

RinconRyder
05-07-2018, 09:07 PM
If you hadn't mentioned the Marines and the Navy at the same time: I wouldn't have remembered this one... :shocked:

Question: Why is the Navy used to transport Marines?

Answer: Because if they brought Sheep on Board; it would just be too obvious!

Originally, as in colonial times, marines were carried on board naval ships of the line to provide hand to hand fighting capability when boarding an enemy ship and also to provide small arms gunfire aloft. It was carried over from the British navy which was the predominate naval power at the time. Over the years the marines took a less and less important role aboard ship and were gradually reduced to a very small security force aboard the major fighting ships. With the onset of WWII and the need to move great numbers of soldiers over large expanses of water it was logical for the navy to provide this capability so amphibious ships (the Gator Navy) were developed. This capability was carried on in Korea and Viet Nam and is still a large part of the navy today.

My middle son served 8 years in the Marine Corps and did three tours in the Middle East. He had nothing but good things to say about the several ships that transported his company to the beaches.

Bob Denman
05-08-2018, 06:34 AM
:clap: :2thumbs: