PDA

View Full Version : Interesting error code P017B1

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-05-2018, 10:56 PM
I finally got my RTS back on the road today after I put on new rear tire, put new brake pads all around, had to fight to get the rear caliper piston screwed back in, changed the engine oil and filter and transmission filter, and put in a new air cleaner. The filters are a 28,000 mile replace item so decided to change them since I was overdue for oil change at 26,000 miles. The air cleaner was hardly dirty.

Anyway, there is no way to prefill the trans filter before installing it. I thought I had run the engine enough to clear the system of all air, but maybe not. I took off to do a run to bed in the new brake pads when I stopped and then couldn't get moving again. Engine light came on, but the trans shifted OK. Finally turned it off, waited a couple of minutes, and started right up, and took off fine. I drove about 7 miles with no problem at all. When I got home I checked for codes and P017B1 showed. That is for a failure of the clutch valve to operate, probably because of some sort of debris.

I wonder if there was still some air in the trans filter and the oil path to the valve got air locked and that's why the valve wouldn't work. Anyone else ever have this code show up, and if so what caused it?