PDA

View Full Version : The phone... has left the automobile...

bhern
05-05-2018, 04:48 PM
If you're in the market for a smartphone case, I can now give you an unqualified recommendation for the Spigen Tough Armor line (not that anyone was waiting on pins and needles for such a recommendation). To explain...

While working on the Spyder the other night, I took my iPhone out of my pocket and placed it on the hood of our car. You can guess what happens next: forgot to grab it when I wrapped up on the Spyder, and later that evening we drove the car to an event about 10 miles away, most of that on divided highways with 65 mph speed limits. My wife took her phone with her, so I decided I didn't need mine and so didn't notice it was missing until the following morning. Got ready to go to work, couldn't find the phone. Called it, and it didn't go to voice mail immediately, so it was definitely on, but definitely not in our home. Remembered the "Find My iPhone" app, so jumped onto the companion website and sure enough, it was transmitting a signal from the vicinity of one of the highway interchanges on our route the night before, about 5 miles away. Jumped back in the car, retraced our route, and when we got close, headed onto the shoulder of the overpass... and there was my phone, face-down on the pavement.

Basically, it would seem that the phone remained on the hood until that point, where presumably a wind gust or perhaps the combination of the curve and centrifugal force at highway speed urged it off the hood and onto the pavement, where it appears to have bounced off of two of the corners of the case before coming to rest on the shoulder (thankfully there vs. remaining in the mainlanes). That it lasted 5 miles on the hood speaks well of either our car's suspension or the case's stability, or both. Even more importantly, the phone was completely intact and operational -- not a single scratch on the screen, and other than needing to clean out the headphone port of some grit and moisture, no evidence that anything unusual had happened. The case was dinged up a little bit, and operating under the same premise of replacing a helmet once it's done its job, I'll be replacing it -- and no doubt with another Spigen Tough Armor model. (Sent them this story as well.)

Bob Denman
05-05-2018, 06:23 PM
...Battle-Tested!! :thumbup:

BigGuy66
05-05-2018, 09:11 PM

Rogue Hawk
05-07-2018, 11:54 AM
I sold these when I worked at Radio Shack

https://steverottercom.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/car-phone.jpg?w=840