PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather overpants

bhern
05-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Searching the archives, it looks like it's been about 3 years since the most recent major "what do you wear in the summer?" thread, and I wanted to get more specific advice, if possible.

I'm in central Texas, so it's about to get super warm for the next five months, and not usually a dry heat. I ride my Spyder to work, so my objective is find an armored, lightweight/mesh, super-airy *over*pant option so I can wear lightweight khakis and/or jeans underneath it (and on the weekend, shorts). Further refining it, I'd love to see colors other than black (can't understand why you'd want an item supposedly designed for the heat to be black), and of course would like the price to be about $19.95, but I know that's a total fantasy. I'll settle for meeting the other requirements and figure out if my wallet can stretch that far.

Appreciate anyone spelling out their go-to make/model & reasons for their choice. (And if you've got a companion armored mesh jacket you'd recommend, feel free.)

Thanks.

johnsimion
05-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Instead of wearing overpants, I suggest you just wear motorcycle jeans or riding pants. Carry your office pants with you, then change when you arrive. That way there is no chance your office pants will get either sweaty or wet from rain. I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket with added back armor that I've been pretty happy with. I had a Tourmaster Intake 4 mesh jacket that I don't recommend -- very difficult to get back armor to fit and the velcro on the sleeves wore out and seams started coming loose within a few rides.

JayBros
05-02-2018, 08:11 PM
I am very partial to my Firstgear HT Air Overpants. They are mesh and have worn like iron for almost 4 years. They are pricey though but Firstgear stands behind their clothing with a 5 year warranty. You can find less expenxive mesh overpants at Cycle Gear. For real hot days consider Cabela's zip-off pants; you can ride in them as shorts under the overpants and zip the legs on when you arrive at work. Other makers also sell them.

Motorcycledave
05-02-2018, 08:38 PM
If I were you I would head over to your local
Cycle Gear store ar 9070 Research Blvd. in Austin Tx. 78758
there you will find several brands of hot weather pants, jackets
I use a brand called First Gear both mesh and not mesh for the cold.
I have mesh pants that you do not ware over other pants however I guess
you could but that would defeat the purpose. all have armor in them.
Ride Safe
Dave

shirts, boots, gloves
I use a brand called First Gear all vented mesh. ?>....

Searching the archives, it looks like it's been about 3 years since the most recent major "what do you wear in the summer?" thread, and I wanted to get more specific advice, if possible.

I'm in central Texas, so it's about to get super warm for the next five months, and not usually a dry heat. I ride my Spyder to work, so my objective is find an armored, lightweight/mesh, super-airy *over*pant option so I can wear lightweight khakis and/or jeans underneath it (and on the weekend, shorts). Further refining it, I'd love to see colors other than black (can't understand why you'd want an item supposedly designed for the heat to be black), and of course would like the price to be about $19.95, but I know that's a total fantasy. I'll settle for meeting the other requirements and figure out if my wallet can stretch that far.

Appreciate anyone spelling out their go-to make/model & reasons for their choice. (And if you've got a companion armored mesh jacket you'd recommend, feel free.)

Thanks.

Fat Baxter
05-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Instead of wearing overpants, I suggest you just wear motorcycle jeans or riding pants. Carry your office pants with you, then change when you arrive. That way there is no chance your office pants will get either sweaty or wet from rain. ....

This is eventually what I wound up doing. I rode in Diamond Gusset's Kevlar-reinforced jeans and a Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh long-sleeve shirt. I carried a complete change of clothes in a soft bag in the frunk (that's why it's there!)

UtahPete
05-02-2018, 11:57 PM
This has been discussed at length in several threads in the last few months.

SpyderAnn01
05-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Can-Am has nice mesh pants but they are on the pricey side. But a good pair will last you forever, or at least until you gain too much weight to fit in them.

SpyderAnn01
05-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Wow, that’s real helpful.

Highwayman2013
05-03-2018, 09:19 AM
I have a pair of mesh pants from Cycle Gear and they serve the purpose. They are black too.

wyliec
05-03-2018, 09:19 AM
This is eventually what I wound up doing. I rode in Diamond Gusset's Kevlar-reinforced jeans and a Draggin' Jeans Kevlar mesh long-sleeve shirt. I carried a complete change of clothes in a soft bag in the frunk (that's why it's there!)

Just curious. Why not the Draggin Jeans kevlar jeans? I have them, and I been thinking of the Draggin jeans shirt, without a jacket. Thanks for reminding me.

wyliec
05-03-2018, 09:22 AM

What topic hasn't been? However, instead of bypassing this thread like I was going to, I'm glad I did open it b/c now I will be getting the Draggin kevlar shirt.

Zip
05-03-2018, 01:40 PM
We wear shorts But also wear Denim chaps with Kevlar knees. This way we can take them off at out destination and be comfortable. The link below is where we got them. The woman modeling on the page was there is the owner. We met her at a vendor show in DC. We did not buy them that day but she measured us and we ordered them a few weeks later. She is very nice and easy to work with.

http://www.zone-tailed.com/

Fat Baxter
05-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Just curious. Why not the Draggin Jeans kevlar jeans? I have them, and I been thinking of the Draggin jeans shirt, without a jacket. Thanks for reminding me.

Back in the day, Draggin' Jeans were only "regular fit," kinda tight for me as I had larger than normal thighs (back then I ran for exercise; nowadays, I lift weights). Diamond Gusset's jeans were, and still are, "relaxed fit." Much comfier, IMO.

I see that Draggin' Jeans now has different types of fit. You may find something you like there.

Fat Baxter
05-04-2018, 07:53 PM
D'oh!! I just remembered why I first tumbled to Diamond Gusset jeans! I had heard that their jeans have a diamond-shaped gusset in the crotch (hence the company's name), which makes straddling a motorcycle much more comfortable for men. I bought a pair of their regular jeans, and was so impressed by the comfort that I bought their Kevlar-reinforced bike jeans.