PDA

View Full Version : RTS 3000 mile checkup and State inpection...

SteveLaoyster
05-01-2018, 06:05 PM
I just had my spyder in for state inspection and since the mileage was at 2800 I had the 3k checkup done too.

I had changed the oil last fall because the weather wouldn't cooperate for me to get it to the dealer. I did the oil change with 5 quarts of oil I got from the dealer and BajaRon's filter and Oring kit.

State inspection of course was no problem but I was told there was issues with the 3k checkup. They said it was short on oil and coolant and that they added to both. New bike and needed fluids? I was told everything else was okay and that my belt tension was 750n. I'm not sure if that's right either.

I pay the bill, drive it 22 miles home and proceed to check things out. Oils nice and hot so I let it idle for a while, turned it off and check the dipstick. It was about 1/4 of an inch above full. I checked it again to make sure and I was right.

I siphoned out 700 ml to get it oil level just below full. I think they added about half a quart. They must not have used a paper towel to check the wet area of the dipstick.

Then I went to check the coolant level and found there was no cap on the reservoir and the coolant level was above the hot mark. Now I was angry.

The dealer was closed by then so I made plans to go back (with a car) to get thing straighten out and get a replacement coolant cap.

The next day, on my way to the dealer, I get a phone call from them asking to check my coolant reservoir to see if the cap was on it. I informed that it wasn't and that I was on my way to them.

They told me they had forgotten to put the cap back on and that they had it. I told them I would be there soon and that there were a couple other things I wasn't happy about.

The dealership was extremely apologetic and we worked out a deal that we were both very happy with.

My advice is check your fluid levels before taking your ryde in for service and let them know you had checked them. When picking up, check to make sure nothing is missing. Might be a good idea to tell them to leave the coolant cover off so you can check the reservoir before ryding off.

On an end note, is a belt tension of 750n correct for a 2016 RTS?? Thanks.

ARtraveler
05-01-2018, 06:11 PM
I just had my spyder in for state inspection and since the mileage was at 2800 I had the 3k checkup done too.

I had changed the oil last fall because the weather wouldn't cooperate for me to get it to the dealer. I did the oil change with 5 quarts of oil I got from the dealer and BajaRon's filter and Oring kit.

State inspection of course was no problem but I was told there was issues with the 3k checkup. They said it was short on oil and coolant and that they added to both. New bike and needed fluids? I was told everything else was okay and that my belt tension was 750n. I'm not sure if that's right either.

I pay the bill, drive it 22 miles home and proceed to check things out. Oils nice and hot so I let it idle for a while, turned it off and check the dipstick. It was about 1/4 of an inch above full. I checked it again to make sure and I was right.

I siphoned out 700 ml to get it oil level just below full. I think they added about half a quart. They must not have used a paper towel to check the wet area of the dipstick.

Then I went to check the coolant level and found there was no cap on the reservoir and the coolant level was above the hot mark. Now I was angry.

The dealer was closed by then so I made plans to go back (with a car) to get thing straighten out and get a replacement coolant cap.

The next day, on my way to the dealer, I get a phone call from them asking to check my coolant reservoir to see if the cap was on it. I informed that it wasn't and that I was on my way to them.

They told me they had forgotten to put the cap back on and that they had it. I told them I would be there soon and that there were a couple other things I wasn't happy about.

The dealership was extremely apologetic and we worked out a deal that we were both very happy with.

My advice is check your fluid levels before taking your ryde in for service and let them know you had checked them. When picking up, check to make sure nothing is missing. Might be a good idea to tell them to leave the coolant cover off so you can check the reservoir before ryding off.

On an end note, is a belt tension of 750n correct for a 2016 RTS?? Thanks.

There is a special procedure for checking the oil on a spyder. Did they follow the directions and do it while the spyder was at operating temperature. It is sounding like they did not. When cold, the spyder shows it is almost out of oil. Adding to fill at cold leads to overfilling.

SteveLaoyster
05-01-2018, 07:00 PM
There is a special procedure for checking the oil on a spyder. Did they follow the directions and do it while the spyder was at operating temperature. It is sounding like they did not. When cold, the spyder shows it is almost out of oil. Adding to fill at cold leads to overfilling.I'm not sure what they did to get a low reading but I had just taken the bike to them in the late morning. It's possible that it did cool down enough but I would hope they would know enough to warm it up good. They said they were just finishing up at about 3:30 so maybe it did cool down before they started.

Saluda
05-01-2018, 09:14 PM
I always check work done on our vehicles. Unfortunate you have to but have been disappointed before. :sour:

azprince
05-02-2018, 11:50 AM
I always check work done on our vehicles. Unfortunate you have to but have been disappointed before. :sour:

Rear Axel torque is 166 foot-pounds X 0.73756= 122.43 neuton-meters. 750nm is insane. I used a torque multiplier to torque a Chinook Rotor head nut to that level. Impossible with general handtools!

SteveLaoyster
05-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Rear Axel torque is 166 foot-pounds X 0.73756= 122.43 neuton-meters. 750nm is insane. I used a torque multiplier to torque a Chinook Rotor head nut to that level. Impossible with general handtools!I'm not sure if they check the axle torque for the 3k checkup.

They told me the belt tension is at 750n. I'm just wondering if it's the correct amount.

SteveLaoyster
05-03-2018, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure if they check the axle torque for the 3k checkup.

They told me the belt tension is at 750n. I'm just wondering if it's the correct amount.I found the answer in #2 posting of this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?97556-RT-vibration-issue&highlight=newtons

Seems that the owner's manual and service manual for my spyder are in error then. I had forgotten that there was a post with revised belt tension values.