PDA

View Full Version : Today’s project.

Mahaflac
05-01-2018, 12:03 PM
I have an ST with no radio. I wanted a headset so I could listen to music but do have the extra cash at the moment to spend. I bought some speakers on Ebay and designed a case on a CAD program. I printed the case on my 3D printer and this is the result. Perfect fit and a great sound. Total investment - approximately $9.00

ofdave
05-01-2018, 12:08 PM
nice job!
what will you hook the speakers to?

Mahaflac
05-01-2018, 12:12 PM
i already have a bluetooth dongle from a previous project. I have it connected to my helmet and will pair it to my phone.

Mahaflac
05-01-2018, 12:17 PM
i already have a bluetooth dongle from a previous project. I have it connected to my helmet and will pair it to my phone.

missouriboy
05-02-2018, 04:33 AM
$9.00 huh?

How much for the 3d printer and the CAD system? :yikes:

Grandpot
05-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Nice job. How durable is the case you printed?

Mahaflac
05-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Nice job. How durable is the case you printed?

My printer does a great job. They are extremely durable.

Mahaflac
05-02-2018, 07:59 AM
$9.00 huh?

How could I miss something so obvious. You know.... every post I put on here someone has to put a negative spin on it. But for the sake of your argument, I will play along. In fact, lets now make this the new standard for anyone posting a price for a project they have completed. Ie... If I want to know what the cost of the a BajaRon sway bar is, you have to give the price of the sway bar, the jack or lift, and all the tools needed to complete the work.

ATTENTION SPYDERLOVERS: From this point forward, when you post the cost of a project, you must include the price of your tools including jacks or lifts so we can have a true picture of the associated cost.

The CAD program and the 3D printer are tools just like the wrench for the mechanic or the DIY'er. Tools they already have!!!! But I am still willing to play along.

We will start with the $9.00
There are multiple online sites that offer CAD software for free +$0. Sign up for an account and away you go.
The Printer Cost me $800.00

I am down $809.00

I am about 1000 prints completed on my 3D printer with an average savings of about $4.00 per print. Savings = $4000.00 which includes the CNC machine that I printed last month that saved me about $800.00......... I did not realize I had to include all this........ So lets total this up.

$809
-$4000
Total (-$3191). I've made $3191.00 in all on this project. I think that is pretty good. But wait

Soldering iron -$ 10
Wire -$3

I had to have a helmet -$150

I am still up 3,028. Pretty good huh! But wait, if I did not have a Spyder, I probably would not have attempted this project. So lets deduct that also.

$9150.00

I'm in the hole $6122. I also had to go to the post office to pick up the package and needed my car

$14,500 for the car, plus $5.00 for gas. Lets not forget to add in the depreciation value of the vehicle since I had to put miles on it....... Never mind, that is a little picky......

I'm am down $20,627.

During this time I had to eat so lets take out $10.00 for the meal I had to eat.

I'm in the hole $20,632.

Wow, I did not realize this was such an expensive undertaking. I have you to thank for that. I only wanted speakers in my helmet.

New cost for the project $20,632.. Come to think of it, that was probably a little to much to pay to have speakers in my helmet.

My day is ruined now... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.png but the total is now accurate.

Wait I forgot the beverage I had to drink while all that was going on. Add another $1.50.

blacklightning
05-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Nice! I will not make a comment on the cad and 3D printer, as I am in precast concrete design and use CAD every day. But I would like to be able to pick up a 3D printer. A couple of buddies of mine were thinking about that a while back. The way I see it, probably not much more than the monstrosity that I have in my office to print 36" wide rolls of paper, which is always breaking down:banghead:. I now have all my clients print most of the large projects and send them to me. But most of my stuff, I just covert to PDF format and email it over.
But as for the speakers, nice job:thumbup:.

Grandpot
05-02-2018, 08:11 AM
$9.00 huh?

That's like asking a fisherman how much the fish cost by the pound by factering in the cost of the boat and fishing tackle.

Mahaflac
05-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Nice! I will not make a comment on the cad and 3D printer, as I am in precast concrete design and use CAD every day. But I would like to be able to pick up a 3D printer. A couple of buddies of mine were thinking about that a while back. The way I see it, probably not much more than the monstrosity that I have in my office to print 36" wide rolls of paper, which is always breaking down:banghead:. I now have all my clients print most of the large projects and send them to me. But most of my stuff, I just covert to PDF format and email it over.
But as for the speakers, nice job:thumbup:.

PRUSA makes a great printer. It is a little more expensive but it is impressive. It has saved me a lot of money to be able to print other projects. I have printed a CNC machine and also printed another 3D printer. Those projects alone saved me the cost of the printer + some money.

Highwayman2013
05-02-2018, 08:39 AM
How could I miss something so obvious. You know.... every post I put on here someone has to put a negative spin on it. But for the sake of your argument, I will play along. In fact, lets now make this the new standard for anyone posting a price for a project they have completed. Ie... If I want to know what the cost of the a BajaRon sway bar is, you have to give the price of the sway bar, the jack or lift, and all the tools needed to complete the work.

ATTENTION SPYDERLOVERS: From this point forward, when you post the cost of a project, you must include the price of your tools including jacks or lifts so we can have a true picture of the associated cost.

The CAD program and the 3D printer are tools just like the wrench for the mechanic or the DIY'er. Tools they already have!!!! But I am still willing to play along.

There are multiple online sites that offer CAD software for free +$0. Sign up for an account and away you go.

I am down $809.00

I am about 1000 prints completed on my 3D printer with an average savings of about $4.00 per print. Savings = $4000.00 which includes the CNC machine that I printed last month that saved me about $800.00......... I did not realize I had to include all this........ So lets total this up.

$809
-$4000
Total (-$3191). I've made $3191.00 in all on this project. I think that is pretty good. But wait

Soldering iron -$ 10
Wire -$3

I am still up 3,028. Pretty good huh! But wait, if I did not have a Spyder, I probably would not have attempted this project. So lets deduct that also.

$9150.00

I'm in the hole $6122. I also had to go to the post office to pick up the package and needed my car

$14,500 for the car, plus $5.00 for gas. Lets not forget to add in the depreciation value of the vehicle since I had to put miles on it....... Never mind, that is a little picky......

I'm am down $20,627.

During this time I had to eat so lets take out $10.00 for the meal I had to eat.

I'm in the hole $20,632.

Wow, I did not realize this was such an expensive undertaking. I have you to thank for that. I only wanted speakers in my helmet.

New coast for the project $20,632.. Come to think of it, that was probably a little to much to pay to have speakers in my helmet.

My day is ruined now... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.png but the total is now accurate.

Wait I forgot the beverage I had to drink while all that was going on. Add another $1.50.

Touchy much?

jaherbst
05-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Would ya think some one hit the original poster's sensitive bone. Talk about an over reaction. (kind of a waste of forum space) Take a deep

breath and try to relax. "Life is short and gets shorter the older you get". :D

Jack

vtown biker
05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Yikes- I think it was a sarcastic joke and exactly what I thought when I saw your post.

I tend to be a smartass and think that was his intention.

Having said that- I only wish I had the talent or imagination to do this. Well done.

Bob

I am down $809.00

$809
-$4000

Soldering iron -$ 10
Wire -$3

$9150.00

I'm am down $20,627.

I'm in the hole $20,632.

New coast for the project $20,632.. Come to think of it, that was probably a little to much to pay to have speakers in my helmet.

crazycanuck
05-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Would ya think some one hit the original poster's sensitive bone. Talk about an over reaction. (kind of a waste of forum space) Take a deep

breath and try to relax. "Life is short and gets shorter the older you get". :D

Jack

sensitive bone:shocked::roflblack:

Mahaflac
05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Yes Bob, It was a sarcastic response. Thank you for getting it. I'm not sensitive at all. If I were, I would not be a member of this forum or I would stop posting. Most every topic I have posted on this forum has been met with some negative comment or someone being a S.A. I could chose to not respond at all. I can respond by getting sensitive which I would probably stop posting to avoid getting my "feeling" hurt. But I don't. Or,.... I can have a little fun with it and issue some of it back.

Plus, I teach a sociology class and I am getting a great sociological perspective as to why people continue to post on a topic that has no bearing on their life. You know the Functional theorist say that the parts of society that do not benefit the well being of society will eventually disappear. I am know intrigued as to why this topic is continuing. Carry on, this is fun.

davehirst
05-02-2018, 01:01 PM
My thought would be why the speakers if you are hooking via bluetooth to your helmet? Are the speakers to be mounted in your helmet?

Mahaflac
05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
My thought would be why the speakers if you are hooking via bluetooth to your helmet? Are the speakers to be mounted in your helmet?

I am mounting them in my helmet where the Sena headset (or other headset) speakers would go. The bluetooth dongle is so I do not have to run a wire to my phone from my helmet where my music is coming from.