PDA

View Full Version : Holly, if it is really you, and not Randy, I have a question.

wyliec
05-01-2018, 09:28 AM
I work in a hospital rehab unit, and I've noticed a rise in stroke patients during surgeries, or shortly after. This rise in stroke patients started about a year and a half ago. Have you noticed any increase where you work. I'm assuming you are Holly, still in nursing, and at a hospital.

bhern
05-01-2018, 10:34 AM
I work in a hospital rehab unit, and I've noticed a rise in stroke patients during surgeries, or shortly after. This rise in stroke patients started about a year and a half ago. Have you noticed any increase where you work. I'm assuming you are Holly, still in nursing, and at a hospital.

...but with a close relative having gone through that exact situation (stroke after a very successful but invasive heart surgery), your question certainly raised my eyebrows a bit. Has there been a change in protocols in the last couple of years that you think may be at the root of this? Not looking to assign blame or find someone to sue, just really puzzled by that outcome, which has caused a lot of difficulties for my relative.

wyliec
05-01-2018, 10:45 AM
...but with a close relative having gone through that exact situation (stroke after a very successful but invasive heart surgery), your question certainly raised my eyebrows a bit. Has there been a change in protocols in the last couple of years that you think may be at the root of this? Not looking to assign blame or find someone to sue, just really puzzled by that outcome, which has caused a lot of difficulties for my relative.

I don't know the answer. Holly may know more.

bscrive
05-01-2018, 10:53 AM
It is definitely Randy using Holly's screen name, but I am sure he can ask Holly and get back to you.

What do you say Randy.

BTW, are you guys going to Spyderquest this year?

Bob Denman
05-01-2018, 11:49 AM
:agree:...

ARtraveler
05-01-2018, 01:51 PM
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif (javascript:void(0))http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif (javascript:void(0))http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif (javascript:void(0))http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif (javascript:void(0))

Holly
05-01-2018, 05:11 PM
HIPAA regulations.

The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals’ medical records and other personal health information
and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically.

Sorry...................... My mouth has duct tape on it !!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

IGETAROUND
05-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Stroke after any vascular proceedure though not an expected occurance is in the range of 1.5 to just under 4%. Here is an excerpt from a 2014 study.

—Using the national Vascular and Stroke registries, we identified 3998 patients who had undergone carotidendarterectomy or carotid artery stenting for symptomatic carotid stenosis between May 2008 and December 2012.Among these, 2% (79 of 3998) had undergone previous thrombolysis for stroke. We conducted a retrospective reviewof registry data and individual case records with regard to postoperative complications, including surgical-site bleeding,stroke, and death. The outcome was compared with the results for the remaining patient cohort (3919 of 3998) undergoingcarotid surgery and stenting during the study period.Results—The median time between thrombolysis and the carotid procedure was 10 days. Seventy-one patients underwentcarotid endarterectomy, and 6 patients underwent carotid artery stenting. The 30-day death and stroke rate for thethrombolysis cohort was 2.5% (2 of 79), and for the whole cohort, it was 3.8% (139 of 3626; P=0.55). The postoperativebleeding rates requiring reoperation were not significantly different between the groups (3.8% [3 of 79] in the thrombolysisgroup versus 3.3% [119 of 3626] in the whole cohort; P=0.79). There was no correlation between time from lysis tosurgery or stenting and complications at 30 days postoperatively.Conclusions—Urgent carotid endarterectomy or carotid artery stenting after thrombolysis for stroke may be safe withoutincreased risk of serious complications. (Stroke. 2014;45:776-780.)Key Words: endarterectomy, carotid ◼ stroke ◼ thrombolytic therapy

So to answer you initial question, thouhg not the expected outcome, it is certainly a possibility with major vascular surgeries.

Al in Kazoo

Bob Denman
05-01-2018, 05:41 PM
HIPAA regulations.
The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals’ medical records and other personal health information
and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically.
If you're not speaking about a specific patient: HIPPA rules don't apply.
Essentially: you're speaking hypothetically! :thumbup:

Holly
05-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Stroke after any vascular proceedure though not an expected occurance is in the range of 1.5 to just under 4%. Here is an excerpt from a 2014 study.

—Using the national Vascular and Stroke registries, we identified 3998 patients who had undergone carotidendarterectomy or carotid artery stenting for symptomatic carotid stenosis between May 2008 and December 2012.Among these, 2% (79 of 3998) had undergone previous thrombolysis for stroke. We conducted a retrospective reviewof registry data and individual case records with regard to postoperative complications, including surgical-site bleeding,stroke, and death. The outcome was compared with the results for the remaining patient cohort (3919 of 3998) undergoingcarotid surgery and stenting during the study period.Results—The median time between thrombolysis and the carotid procedure was 10 days. Seventy-one patients underwentcarotid endarterectomy, and 6 patients underwent carotid artery stenting. The 30-day death and stroke rate for thethrombolysis cohort was 2.5% (2 of 79), and for the whole cohort, it was 3.8% (139 of 3626; P=0.55). The postoperativebleeding rates requiring reoperation were not significantly different between the groups (3.8% [3 of 79] in the thrombolysisgroup versus 3.3% [119 of 3626] in the whole cohort; P=0.79). There was no correlation between time from lysis tosurgery or stenting and complications at 30 days postoperatively.Conclusions—Urgent carotid endarterectomy or carotid artery stenting after thrombolysis for stroke may be safe withoutincreased risk of serious complications. (Stroke. 2014;45:776-780.)Key Words: endarterectomy, carotid ◼ stroke ◼ thrombolytic therapy

So to answer you initial question, thouhg not the expected outcome, it is certainly a possibility with major vascular surgeries.

Al in Kazoo

In 2012 Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff got mandatory scheduled breaks.............. Now, Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff barely have time to use the restroom. Form your own conclusions......... :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
05-01-2018, 07:16 PM
In 2012 Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff got mandatory scheduled breaks.............. Now, Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff barely have time to use the restroom. Form your own conclusions......... :thumbup:

Oh please, what planet do you reside on. Nurses and hospital staff, not to mention office staffs take breaks when their work flow allows for it.

Al

Holly
05-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Come to work on my 12 hour shift (which really is 13-14)....... I dare you !!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Obviously you are a pencil pusher and have no clue about patient care......... :banghead:

Never mind, you are probably a teacher......:gaah:

wyliec
05-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Al in Kazoo

Do you consider hip, and knee replacement, and spinal surgery, such as fusions major vascular surgeries? Sometimes, for example, in a total hip replacement the dr. may be near an artery; but, unless he/she screws up, it would not be considered a vascular surgery. It is mostly those surgeries that I am talking about, and that's my fault as I wasn't clear in the original post. I did have a patient this weekend that had sternal precautions; so, that surgery was vascular, and she had a stroke during or after surgery; I'm not sure which.

I'm just saying I have noticed more patients that have had strokes, during surgery or shortly after, in the last year and a half. What you have quoted is from 2012, and to me is not really related to my original question, in both time frame, and type of surgery; once again my fault as to the surgery.

Blood clots can occur for numerous reasons, and when they break away and reach the heart or brain, you can have a stroke. There are many reasons for clots, not just surgery. Maybe that's a factor in why I have seen an increase.

wyliec
05-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Come to work on my 12 hour shift (which really is 13-14)....... I dare you !!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Obviously you are a pencil pusher and have no clue about patient care......... :banghead:

I just checked this thread, and this was the first post I saw after checking earlier today. I thought you were talking to me.:opps: Or, were you.:shocked:

wyliec
05-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Oh please, what planet do you reside on. Nurses and hospital staff, not to mention office staffs take breaks when their work flow allows for it.

Al

I admittedly only work 2 weekends a month. But, I am given a schedule to follow, and there is no time included for chit chat breaks. It's one patient after another. Most times I work thru lunch to catch up on my notes. If I don't like it, I can quit anytime.

UtahPete
05-01-2018, 08:21 PM
There are numerous possible conclusions, some more provocative than others. ;)

It's a free country, Holly. Why don't you quit and find something more satisfying? Like TSA agent, or Border Patrol or ICE?

Saluda
05-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Or a teacher.

JerryB
05-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Hi Holly,

Re: Form your own conclusions.........

OK, I have,

About 4 weeks ago I suffered a heart attack; unbeknownest to me.

On 21 Apr I had been working on a small house project & I would work some, have serious chest pains, then sit for ~ 5 minutes & get back to work.

On Monday, I called & made a routine visit to see WTH was going on.

By 2 PM I was admitted & transported across town to their cardio-vascular hospital.

After some tests, I went into surgery the next day. Triple-bypass surgery. I spent a week in the hospital & now am at my daughter's on a 6-8 week recovery.

I do not care how many breaks those support people get, I could not have been taken care of better. Every person I inter-acted were tremendous.

So there,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have no idea on what tomorrow will bring, but I am a glass-half-full kind of guy. I guess you are a glass-half-empty kind of person.

Saluda
05-01-2018, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=JerryB;1356851]Hi Holly,

About 4 weeks ago I suffered a heart attack; unbeknownest to me.

On 21 Apr I had been working on a small house project & I would work some, have serious chest pains, then sit for ~ 5 minutes & get back to work.

On Monday, I called & made a routine visit to see WTH was going on.

By 2 PM I was admitted & transported across town to their cardio-vascular hospital.

After some tests, I went into surgery the next day. Triple-bypass surgery. I spent a week in the hospital & now am at my daughter's on a 6-8 week recovery.

Sorry to hear, wish you the best.

UtahPete
05-01-2018, 09:31 PM
About 4 weeks ago I suffered a heart attack; unbeknownest to me. Triple-bypass surgery. I spent a week in the hospital & now am at my daughter's on a 6-8 week recovery. Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have no idea on what tomorrow will bring, but I am a glass-half-full kind of guy. I guess you are a glass-half-empty kind of person.
I'm sorry to hear that my friend. Take care of yourself and best wishes for a full recovery.

Easy Rider
05-02-2018, 10:07 AM

No it does not.
As long as you don't identify the individuals referenced in your comments.

Keep it general and you should be fine.

Now......what rules your employer might have may be a different matter.

wyliec
05-02-2018, 10:51 AM
No it does not.
As long as you don't identify the individuals referenced in your comments.

Keep it general and you should be fine.

Now......what rules your employer might have may be a different matter.

I believe it was answered that way b/c it's Randy who is doing the navigating.

wyliec
05-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Best of luck JerryB.:thumbup:

ThreeWheels
05-02-2018, 10:54 AM
HIPAA regulations.

Is there a HIPAA rule for dating ?????

wyliec
05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Is there a HIPAA rule for dating ?????

It's the same one the White House uses.

Zip
05-02-2018, 11:33 AM
So this started out as a question for Holly then turned into a beat down of Holly.

I am an EMT not a nurse but see what goes on. Most nurses work there butts off.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-02-2018, 11:40 AM
So this started out as a question for Holly then turned into a beat down of Holly.

I am an EMT not a nurse but see what goes on. Most nurses work there butts off.

most!
in ny most nurses start out at 50k & move up to $75k or more in just a few years with great medical. it can be a hard job like any other job but the pay is very good.

TicketBait
05-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Al

:lecturef_smilie:Actually his bio says he is a physicians assistant!

Easy Rider
05-02-2018, 12:41 PM
:lecturef_smilie:Actually his bio says he is a physicians assistant!

Physician heal thyself.
He needs an attitude adjustment.

vided
05-02-2018, 03:05 PM
It's the same one the White House uses.

You mean cigars are required :yes::yes:

wyliec
05-02-2018, 03:24 PM
You mean cigars are required :yes::yes:

That, or denial, and $130,000.

vided
05-02-2018, 04:14 PM
That, or denial, and $130,000.

Oh oh did I forget the intern and her stained blue dress :thumbup::thumbup:

wyliec
05-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Oh oh did I forget the intern and her stained blue dress :thumbup::thumbup:

Did I forget about the pee pee dance in Russia.

IGETAROUND
05-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Jerry,

So sorry to hear about your recent health issues. And yes most people that you come into contact with when you are hospitiliazed and in a "fragile" state do their level best to gothe extra mile to care for you. Hope your recovery is uneventful and rapid.

Al

Bob Denman
05-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Jerry,
I'm glad to hear that you are recovering; yet sorry to hear that you have to.
Keep healing! :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
05-02-2018, 06:52 PM

No I'm not a pencil pusher, sometimes however I'm not the most tactfull individual you may encounter; if I offended I offer my most heart felt appoligies.

Now having said that even with the absymal spelling; I am a physician assistant with 27 years of experience, prior to that I worked as a registered respiratory therapist for a decade in a trisicary referal hospital. I have worked all three shifts, 12 hour shifts also and I've been there done that and I HAVE the tee shirt. I have paid my dues, and will be retiring soon (not soon enough).

I still put in mostly 10 hour days caring for our psychologically injured veterans; working on a locked psychiatric ward in a VA hospital for the last 12 years. I also proctor physician assistant students along with the day to day teaching and explaining that goes on day to day in any health care setting.

So yes I know of what you speak of and allude to. Health care workers; irrespective of their station in the work force have ALWAYS worked hard to get the job done and if lucky they get two chances to pee or rest during their on duty time. Your reference that since 2012 it's gotten worse or uglier does not float the boat. Medicine in general is becoming tougher to do secondary to multiple factors; not the least of which being there are 5 to 12 MONITORS for each provider of care to the patient, looking with infintisimal scrunity at how you perform you particular piece of the big job of caring for the patient. Oh and don't forget the smile at all times irregardless of any extenuating circumstances.

And as noted by some perhaps I need an attitude adjustment; that is what I try to do by getting ~ 17K of wind therapy yearly while also working full time. November can't arrive soon enough to dismiss the drivel of the work a day world. Put one dog down this year and have another with three feet in the grave. GAAAAHHHH

Rant over.

Al in Kazoo

vided
05-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Did I forget about the pee pee dance in Russia.

Did i forget to post facts substantiating the stained blue dress :yes::yes:

wyliec
05-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Did i forget to post facts substantiating the stained blue dress :yes::yes:

Are you sure it was blue? I think that happened when he was checking out her humidor status.

wyliec
05-02-2018, 07:26 PM
It's strange, I asked a question on strokes, and today I had to do a mandatory education for work on strokes.

UtahPete
05-02-2018, 11:52 PM
I still put in mostly 10 hour days caring for our psychologically injured veterans; working on a locked psychiatric ward in a VA hospital for the last 12 years. I also proctor physician assistant students along with the day to day teaching and explaining that goes on day to day in any health care setting.
You have my utmost respect and appreciation. The care and caring I receive at the VA is incomparable. Woe be to the ******* politician that tries to privatize it.