PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil oil - will it last longer between changes?

south GA Farm Boy
04-29-2018, 01:36 PM
On my 2016 RT Limited, we changed the motor oil to Amsoil with new oil filter, etc last May, 2017. I only have about 3,000 miles on that oil change and I know the owner's manual says that the next oil change is at 9300 miles, or change the oil yearly! Do I need to change the oil this soon at one year? If not, will it cancel my warranty if I go over 12 months with the Amsoil in it? I only run at best about 5,000 miles per year, but I don't want my warranty cancelled, since I also have the 3 year "BEST" warranty on the Spyder! Do I need to comply with the owner's manual and go ahead and change it again before one year is up?
Thanks you for your answers!

Chupaca
04-29-2018, 02:57 PM
You should go ahead and change it and do it every year as most oils start breaking down around 4,000 miles anyway. I do not go more than 5,000 on any oil as they are going through your whole system....top end, crankcase, transmission and clutch assembly. That is a beating. As for warranty don't sweat it your not even using their oil. Relax change your oil once a year (according to your mileage) and enjoy the spyder to the max.....:thumbup:

2dogs
04-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Just don't and say you did. Change it next year if you want. I run Amsoil 9k and change it by the speedo. Not by the year. Yes, oils lose viscosity to about 20w in 4k miles and then table out. You chose a one of the if not the best oil, Stick with it a little longer.

tibadoe
04-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Just my 2 cents: I say to change it out like the OM states. That way there is no question and you know you are good for another year. I change all mine (vehicles and motorcycles) out by TIME and not mileage -- mainly because I'm nowhere close to the mileage.

ofdave
04-29-2018, 06:29 PM
I would change the oil.
Keep your receipts for the oil, filters, etc. if you do it yourself.
Your talking a minimal outlay of cash to protect your Spyder and your warranty.
Not worth the risk to skip it, in my opinion.

Purple Guy
04-30-2018, 08:25 AM
Expensive Bike, oil is cheap. Change it every year regardless of mileage

KX5062
04-30-2018, 09:00 AM
I agree with Dave. I've tested the oil in my Spyder several times with several different high quality synthetic oils and all of the reports advise changing the oil at 5,000 miles, not the OEM 9 grand plus recommendation. I spoken to several Spyder dealers and certified techs and they don't agree with the factory either. Of course, that's all anecdotal evidence and meaningless. However, what isn't meaningless is if you don't service to specs or better and keep your receipts, and if a problem arises, then you could have a problem with BRP standing behind their warranty.