PDA

View Full Version : Clothing while riding

vtown biker
04-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Just curious as to what the majority of you wear while riding. I still have all my bike leathers etc.

I always wore jeans and chaps and boots on 2 wheels- Do anyone ride with shorts and regular shoes on your Spyder?

I am certain I will always ride with my leather jacket for safety but wondering about the rest of attire.

I also have a full face helmut. Do most wear them or is an open face helmut more popular?

Thx for any input on this.

Bob

UtahPete
04-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Just curious as to what the majority of you wear while riding. I still have all my bike leathers etc.

I always wore jeans and chaps and boots on 2 wheels- Do anyone ride with shorts and regular shoes on your Spyder?

I am certain I will always ride with my leather jacket for safety but wondering about the rest of attire.

I also have a full face helmut. Do most wear them or is an open face helmut more popular?

Bob
I wear most of the textile clothes from my 2-wheeler days, except when it's really hot. Then, I forgo the protective gear. Always wear the full-face modular helmet though.

vtown biker
04-28-2018, 09:48 AM
I guess riding boots are not a big deal as you don't have to put the foot down and thus no risk of rolling your ankles.

I wear most of the textile clothes from my 2-wheeler days, except when it's really hot. Then, I forgo the protective gear. Always wear the full-face modular helmet though.

JayBros
04-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Ride whatever suits your fancy and satisfies your personal protection requirements. The discussions about riding full ATGATT (my preference) to buck naked are like those about oil and tires, absolutely endless.

Chupaca
04-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Just because you are on three wheels and not likely to fall off does not help the other reasons to wear prodtective gear. Still have the danger of falling off, then there is flying debris, bugs, sun and wind burns engine heat etc. Still best to have good pants and jacket and boots of some kind. They now have a lot of light weight clothing for bike ryding and way cooler than full leathers...:thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-28-2018, 09:58 AM
I have mc jeans, leather jacket & other jacket, mc boots & shoes, 3 sets of gloves full face helmet & i am always
wearing all my gear no matter how hot or cold, sunny or rainy it is. i also have cooling vest that does help a lot
when it is hot out.
P.S. i have no limp or scars from riding.

d.o.spyder-rts
04-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Just because you are on three wheels and not likely to fall off does not help the other reasons to wear prodtective gear. Still have the danger of falling off, then there is flying debris, bugs, sun and wind burns engine heat etc. Still best to have good pants and jacket and boots of some kind. They now have a lot of light weight clothing for bike ryding and way cooler than full leathers...:thumbup:
:agree:

ARtraveler
04-28-2018, 12:52 PM
I am also a proponent of ATGATT. That said, I do not dress quite like the Michelin Man.

I have a couple full sets of leathers (chaps, jacket, gloves,) left over from the "early" days. I still have a cruiser, but have been known to "leather up" on my :spyder: when I get the urge.

Also have several "textile" set ups. They are mostly waterproof and come with all weather liners. I dress for the temps when I am in "textile" mode.

Helmets are a whole different discussion. Use what you want. I started with full face and have graduated to modular. I feel less "confined" but still protected.

For warm weather riding, I like mesh gear jackets, fingerless gloves, and Kevlar jeans.

That's my .02. :yes:

Bob Denman
04-28-2018, 02:15 PM
ATGATT! :agree: :2thumbs:
Kevlar jeans, Kevlar jacket, boots, gloves, modular helmet...
(Underwear, socks, and a Tee-Shirt are almost optional! :roflblack:)

vtown biker
04-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Newbie here- Have to learn the acronyms.

ATGATT?

I am also a proponent of ATGATT. That said, I do not dress quite like the Michelin Man.

I have a couple full sets of leathers (chaps, jacket, gloves,) left over from the "early" days. I still have a cruiser, but have been known to "leather up" on my :spyder: when I get the urge.

Also have several "textile" set ups. They are mostly waterproof and come with all weather liners. I dress for the temps when I am in "textile" mode.

Helmets are a whole different discussion. Use what you want. I started with full face and have graduated to modular. I feel less "confined" but still protected.

For warm weather riding, I like mesh gear jackets, fingerless gloves, and Kevlar jeans.

That's my .02. :yes:

Bob Denman
04-28-2018, 02:30 PM
All
The
Gear
All
The
Time

Mazo EMS2
04-28-2018, 04:13 PM
I always wear jeans, boots if its chilly, otherwise tennis shoes, and a full face helmet. We just bought a couple half helmets this spring and haven't ridden with them yet. Got em mainly for the warmer days. Last year we cooked in S.D. My wife wears flip flops.....drives me nuts!!!! When we were on two wheels we were much more strict about atgatt....No need to preach to us, we get it......:sour: People gotta live with their choices

Bob Denman
04-28-2018, 04:51 PM

It's just that my goat floats on full gear! :thumbup:

asp125
04-28-2018, 05:45 PM
I wear the same gear as I do on two wheels. It just feels natural by now. Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots. Sometimes on short errands I wear hiking boots and regular jeans. Otherwise no difference.

Rookiespyder
04-28-2018, 06:00 PM
I wear jeans,T-shirt, shoes,and a 3/4 helmet in summer, but when it gets hot and humid here I wear shorts.

SpyderAnn01
04-28-2018, 06:09 PM
I guess riding boots are not a big deal as you don't have to put the foot down and thus no risk of rolling your ankles.

But they do keep your feet cooler than if you just wear shoes. I wear a textile jacket and pants when traveling and the jacket with jeans around home. Always wear a helmet, gloves andboots.

ofdave
04-28-2018, 06:11 PM
jeans, tee or Henley shirt, modular helmet, mesh jacket (above70), boots, and mesh gloves.
Gloves when I start in the morning then into the saddle bag about 11 or so

Peter Aawen
04-28-2018, 06:12 PM

But if you do happen to come off or get hit by that cage drive who just didn't see you, those riding boots supporting your ankles & stopping them being hyper-extended or having a foot ripped right off might be the only thing between your continued mobility and never walking again!! :shocked:

So I'm with SpyderAnn on this, and when heading out any distance I tend to wear CE armoured kevlar jeans & shirt, gloves of some sort, & riding boots (& full-faced helmet of course :D ) as a minimum most of the time, altho on the really hot days we get here in the Land Down Under, I might occasionally stuff the kevlar shirt into the frunk & wear a T-shirt instead (often long sleeved) but it's a 'calculated risk' thing depending upon the where & what I'm doing, and I rarely do that T-shirt thing if I'm ryding anywhere there's going to be a lot of traffic or I'll be doing the 'go faster' thing!! Locally, I might do a short run in jeans & a jacket, but I always wear gloves, helmet, & boots! :thumbup:

asp125
04-28-2018, 06:55 PM
In addition to protection, boots of any sort keeps that exhaust heat off my ankle. I rode once in low sneakers, never again. So double win there.

IGETAROUND
04-28-2018, 07:02 PM
ATGATT; Wear textile top and bottom, mesh when it's warm and shorts under textile pants. Modular helmet, always gloves of appropiate weight and heated gear when it's not warm.

Al

Mad Mac
04-28-2018, 07:04 PM
The wife and I wear modular helmets, textile ventilated gloves, textile ventilated jackets, textile ventilated pants. If the weather is cool enough we put the liners in the jackets and pants. I have to admit that dependent upon weather, we will wear Kevlar jeans and long sleeved shirts, but 99% of the time it's ATGATT. Mac:thumbup:

UtahPete
04-28-2018, 07:07 PM
ATGATT; Wear textile top and bottom, mesh when it's warm and shorts under textile pants. Modular helmet, always gloves of appropiate weight and heated gear when it's not warm. Al
There has been extensive discussion about the religiously-adhered-to ATGATT protocol vs the need to be comfortable and alert in extremely hot weather. So, it depends on what kind of riding you expect to be doing and where. The continental US is a VERY large area, with extremes of terrain and weather. Find a balance between protection and comfort that works for you. (LEATHER is NOT a good idea)

UtahPete
04-28-2018, 07:09 PM
But if you do happen to come off or get hit by that cage drive who just didn't see you, those riding boots supporting your ankles & stopping them being hyper-extended or having a foot ripped right off might be the only thing between your continued mobility and never walking again!! :shocked:

So I'm with SpyderAnn on this, and when heading out any distance I tend to wear CE armoured kevlar jeans & shirt, gloves of some sort, & riding boots (& helmet of course :D ) as a minimum most of the time, altho on the really hot days we get here in the Land Down Under, I might occasionally stuff the kevlar shirt into the frunk & wear a T-shirt instead (often long sleeved) but it's a 'calculated risk' thing depending upon the where & what I'm doing, and I rarely do that T-shirt thing if I'm ryding anywhere there's going to be a lot of traffic or I'll be doing the 'go faster' thing!! Locally, I might do a short run in jeans & a jacket, but I always wear gloves, helmet, & boots! :thumbup:

Docster
04-28-2018, 08:35 PM
It's incredibly foolish to ride any motorcycle in shorts, sandals/flip flops and similar items of non-personal protective equipment unless invincible to injuries.....

johnsimion
04-28-2018, 09:19 PM

Bob

The key is to wear what you are most comfortable with. Period. However, "comfort" can mean not only your body's comfort but also the comfort you feel in being as safe as possible. Everyone can and should draw that line differently. My wife and I find our comfort toward the safety line but we aren't judgmental about the choices others make.

We have Arai full-face helmets in hi-viz yellow. These helmets are not just safer, they also let our communicators work better.. We also wear hi-viz mesh jackets with shoulder, elbow and back armor, kevlar riding jeans with knee armor and ankle-high leather boots. We do this every time we ride, even at 100 degrees. Better to stop often, wear cooling towels, drink water and cool down at the gas station than to leave our DNA on the highway because some car didn't see us and turned in front of us. Since accidents still can happen, though, we also feel it's better to be protected as much as possible if they do.

Fat Baxter
04-28-2018, 09:30 PM
I usually wear Kevlar-reinforced jeans (I think they breathe better than textile pants), a mesh jacket, deerskin gloves, and boots. I currently use a full-face helmet, although I'm looking for a modular one -- easier to take a drink.

If it gets stupid hot with matching humidity, I'll forgo the mesh jacket for a long-sleeved t-shirt, simply to avoid heat prostration (which is easy to do down here in Alabama in the summer). I haven't found soakable cooling vests to be of much use down here.

SpyderAnn01
04-28-2018, 09:35 PM
I was alongside a guy the other day who was wearing shorts, no shirt and sandals on his motorcycle, I kept thinking how sorry I would feel for the first responders that get called to his crash.

jaherbst
04-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Here in the "Old Pueblo" we don't wear much in the heat. I do always wear Gloves and Full Face Brain Bucket". Oh and don't forget my "Duluth Underwear" when near Beaver Ponds. :D

​Jack

sandeejs
04-29-2018, 01:00 AM
I wear a 3/4 helmet. The reason I like this helmet is the big face shield. It goes down to my chin! HJC brand FG-Jet, I think. Mine is bright yellow. My last crash, it sacrificed itself for my grey matter. Has a built in sun screen, too. After I decided I would return to riding, I went to the dealership (that I bought the original from) and got another.

Don't recall exactly what else I wore that day. Not my leather jacket. Don't think that a leather jacket would have prevented the broken ribs. I either had steel toed shoes or boots on.

I have always worried about my riding sisters who wear the half helmets/brain buckets. Seems like it would be easy for even a minor get-off to hurt something delicate on your face - nose, or eyes, or mouth.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

~Sandee~

WA5VHU
04-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Tricycles are safe as being in your baby crib at home, nothing more than what you would wear to your funeral is needed.

Here is an example of why:
https://www.ksat.com/traffic/multiple-vehicle-crash-slows-down-traffic-in-stone-oak-area

UtahPete
04-29-2018, 10:39 PM
Tricycles are safe as being in your baby crib at home, nothing more than what you would wear to your funeral is needed.Here is an example of why: https://www.ksat.com/traffic/multiple-vehicle-crash-slows-down-traffic-in-stone-oak-area
Your point being what? Protective clothing would make no difference in that situation.

Peter Aawen
04-29-2018, 11:17 PM
Your point being what? Protective clothing would make no difference in that situation.

Actually, wearing CE Armour or similar DOES make a difference in situations or 'so called' accidents like that!! Possibly it's not a massive difference, but frequently the armour in your protective clothing is the only thing that prevents a broken bone that'll heal over time from being a totally shattered bone that is going to leave you with permanent disabilities or maybe even an amputated limb!! :shocked:

SpyderAnn01
04-30-2018, 12:16 AM
Actually, wearing CE Armour or similar DOES make a difference in situations or 'so called' accidents like that!! Possibly it's not a massive difference, but frequently the armour in your protective clothing is the only thing that prevents a broken bone that'll heal over time from being a totally shattered bone that is going to leave you with permanent disabilities or maybe even an amputated limb!! :shocked:

Earlier in this thread Utah Pete said that the merits of protective gear had already been discussed and we should just move on yet he keeps bringing it up. The guy just has to argue about everything.

RTL1330
04-30-2018, 12:17 AM
I wear all weather textile armoured gear mostly. Boots and full face helmet. Summer time it is Kevlar jeans with armoured mesh jacket. Ride safe, dress for weather and safety.
Note - Some people only wear the protective riding gear on the day they are going to be in an accident.

PrairieSpyder
04-30-2018, 07:45 AM
Clothing while riding (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?112514-Clothing-while-riding/page2)

Yes!

This is not a clothing-optional activity!

asp125
04-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Yanno, I tripped and fell on my deck yesterday. Now I have a gash on my shin, a sore knee and a stiff wrist. I should've had my armor on.

WA5VHU
04-30-2018, 02:10 PM

The folks on the Harley trikes were rear-ended and would have suffered whatever impacts that would have caused and then likely thrown from their trikes onto the pavement and/or ground.

Are you seriously trying to tell me you would just as soon be wearing flip-flops, a T-shirt and short pants as proper riding gear in this situation?

Wow.

You must have tougher skin and stronger bones than me.

160505 160507