PDA

View Full Version : video editing apps/ software

IGETAROUND
04-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Just curious, what programs or apps are you using to edit footage from you action cams and dash cams??

Al

ThreeWheels
04-28-2018, 08:23 AM
I'm using VideoPad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGN9j-0nzo

finless
04-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Sony Vegas! Easy to use and very powerful...

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Sony Vegas! Easy to use and very powerful...

Bob
And very pricey for home use, looks like! $599 msrp, $499 right now.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Just curious, what programs or apps are you using to edit footage from you action cams and dash cams??

Al
Based on my limited experience I'll offer some thoughts. Last time I researched I determined there are no good freeware video editors. The professional ones are expensive, $500 and up.

Video editing can be a slow process, especially the time required to save a project when you are finished. What can take a minute or two to do with a word processing program will take many, many, minutes to do with a video editing program. In my limited researching I did not find any video editor that we would be inclined to call fast.

All that being said I have found iSkysoft video editor to be a pretty decent program. It is now Filmora video editor. Price is $60. https://www.iskysoft.us/filmora-video-editor.html. You can try it for free but I think it watermarks the final video until you pay for it. It's also available in a Mac version. In fact, it looks like the Mac platform is their real forte.

The advent of the GoPro and like cameras has resurrected the home movie fad. Remember back in the days of 8mm home movies? Your family and friends would invite you over to watch hours of boring family videos. The number one challenge to editing a video from a dash cam or action cam is to end up with a video that is truly interesting to watch and not bore everyone to tears. That is the part that takes time. Avoiding generating hours of same old boring scenic views from my GoPro is why my fascination with my GoPro was short lived!

JayBros
04-28-2018, 03:39 PM
If you look at the quality and number of Finless Bob's videos you can see the value of his investment in editing software. He's without peer on this site.

spyderider1
04-28-2018, 07:11 PM
I've been recording videos for a few years now. I'm on my second camera, a Go Pro Session which I chose for best price point and fewer bells and whistles. Starting out can be frustrating, not only with the camera but also whatever editing program you choose. I currently have the PowerDirector 16 package which I would recommend. Again, fewer bells and whistles which helps with the learning curve, a lot of capacity too for the price point. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. I've recorded video from our boat, my bike, and on a snowmobile. Nothing from the Spyder but would expect to have something to share by later this summer.

A couple of tips if you choose to get into sport videos;

Keep them short. When editing you'll want about 30 minutes of raw video for about 2 to 3 minutes of finished product depending on the subject matter. As they used to say about film, most of it ends up on the cutting room floor. Remember, what may be interesting to you may be boring to someone else. That's why you want to keep the thing short and moving along.

Don't get frustrated. I've come home from trips and realized my helmet cam was pointed at the dash the whole day of riding. It takes practice and patience.

Take the time to get to know your editing program. The transitions in the following video of mine are all featured on the PowerDirector program.

Uploading your videos to YouTube can also be challenging but with practice you can share your video with the world.

And speaking of sharing, here's a recent video from our Snowmobile Club ride here in Wisconsin this past February. Nothing too special but a sample of what I've mastered over the past few years or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9dGlfgu3Ig&t=11s

PistonBlown
04-29-2018, 04:51 AM
Though I have full Adobe (Premier Pro etc) licences via work I tend to use Camtasia for home stuff.

tehrlich
04-29-2018, 09:49 AM
I do a lot of video editing for my teaching programs, lectures, etc. Video editing programs are definitely: you get what you pay for.

However, there is so much more to a good video than just editing. Sound.. lighting... shot composition, etc. are what really matter.

I use Apple's Final Cut Pro X. It was one of the standards in the video editors' circles. Apple dumbed it down a bit and made it more automated so they lost a top video editor pros. However, it made it really nice for people like me... not watered down, but not so complicated to have an extra education degree.

https://youtu.be/rJglrKhScFg