PDA

View Full Version : I would really like to know what you all think about this.

purplepig
04-25-2018, 06:30 PM
So I sent a message to this dealer thru their website:
"My 2015 RT limited (10800 miles)looks to be in need of a rear tire, brakes on all three wheels and an oil change. Can you give me a quote for this work and how soon could you do it? Thanks, Dan"
Pretty straight forward I believe.
This is the response I got back:

Good Afternoon Dan,

As of right now our schedule is out till May 22nd. The cost of labor is as follows:

Rear Tire: $99.00 plus cost of a rear tire ($189.00)
Brakes: $39.00... plus cost of brakes; only has rear brakes
Oil Change: $118.00.. plus cost of oil & filter

Please let me know if you would like for me to schedule you for this services to be performed

Sincerely,

Lacy Huber
Service Advisor
Filers Powersports
585-464-9999

Anyone care to comment before I do?

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-25-2018, 06:36 PM
A STEALER -run away , run away ........and if you haven't checked your pads for wear ...you should ...... I got 30,000 from the rear and 37,000 and still counting for the fronts ........... Mike :thumbup:

billybovine
04-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Only has brakes on the rear!!!!!!!!!! Really I wonder what those things are on the front wheels. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

JKMSPYDER
04-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Not sure what you are asking us to comment on. But with 10,800 miles I am surprised you would need new brakes. I am not surprised the OEM Kenda is worn out. If you want to save some serious bucks you can do the oil change and brake job yourself if you have the tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined. There are videos on YouTube that detail both jobs.

3 Wheel Rider
04-25-2018, 06:46 PM
"My 2015 RT limited (10800 miles)looks to be in need of a rear tire, brakes on all three wheels and an oil change. Can you give me a quote for this work and how soon could you do it? Thanks, Dan"

Good Afternoon Dan,

As of right now our schedule is out till May 22nd. The cost of labor is as follows:

Please let me know if you would like for me to schedule you for this services to be performed

Sincerely,

Lacy Huber
Service Advisor
Filers Powersports
585-464-9999

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but he did provide the answer to what you asked for... how much for the work (labor charge) and when can you do it (after May 22). Keep in mind he doesn't know if you're wanting OEM parts or upgraded after-market parts. :dontknow:

JMHO

AY4B
04-25-2018, 06:48 PM

Good Afternoon Dan,

Sincerely,

Lacy Huber
Service Advisor
Filers Powersports
585-464-9999

Looks good as long as you know you are buying another crappy over priced Kenda tire.
He is saying they only have the pads for the rear. At your mileage you probably dont need that done anyway. Have the brakes inspected first.
Oil change, That seems like the going rate for an oil change. That is why alot of us do our own, plus we can pick the tires, pads, and oil of our choosing.

PS I replaced my Kenda today at 2550 miles and happy I did because I upgraded to a much better tire. Yokohama S drive and paid about half what you would be paying for that Kenda.

purplepig
04-25-2018, 07:07 PM
I really don't see it as they gave me a quote, or that they only have the rear pads ("only has rear brakes" should then have been "we only have the rear pads in stock" or something like that). If I had responded to a customer like that in the auto repair industry we never would have seen that person.
My 2015 RT limited (10800 miles)looks to be in need of a rear tire, brakes on all three wheels and an oil change. Can you give me a quote for this work and how soon could you do it?
If this was a car, I would have quoted middle of the line line parts and offered the customer choices. As to May 22, they answered me, but with at most a 6 moth riding season, I am not inclined to wait a month for maintenance work.

She responded that my RT has rear brakes only. "Brakes: $39.00... plus cost of brakes; only has rear brakes"

MR. H1956
04-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Only has brakes on the rear!!!!!!!!!! Really I wonder what those things are on the front wheels. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Maybe he can't see them for the rims. Or he ain't the brightest light bulb in the box.

wyliec
04-25-2018, 08:11 PM
I used to go to Filer's. Take a little trip and go to Ingles Power Sports in Phoenix, NY. That's where I go now. My last appt. was 2 weeks ago, and they took me in in about 3 days. In regards to the front brakes, I'd talk to her this time. I never really had a problem with Filer's.

If Lucy tells you your spyder doesn't have front brakes, you're not that far away from Macedon, take a ride and speak to the general mgr. Maybe he'll have you point out the front brakes to Lucy.

cptjam
04-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Seems about right.
Not sure about the confusion about front brakes.
There are far better tires than the Kenda!

blitzkreig
04-25-2018, 08:49 PM
If you want to humble the service technician show him your post and let him know that perhaps over 10,000 spyder riders area reading his responses.

SpyderAnn01
04-25-2018, 09:06 PM
The best time to get your Spyder serviced is well before you want to use it. You are likely competing against watercraft and off road vehicles who also have the same season. I’d try to get it in earlier in the Spring or in early fall before the snow machines come out.

My dealer in Las Vegas is out about a month also as everyone wants their boats and jet skis serviced.

Little Blue
04-26-2018, 04:19 AM
All very helpful Options and TIPS. Some people don't know about the Spyder. Also they were not totally focused on their answers. The labor prices seem to be fair. If you can do your own repairs, I would go that route. Oh, by the way Spyder Motorcycles have BRAKES on all 3 wheels. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-26-2018, 06:56 AM
:shocked: Wow...

I'd be looking for another dealership... nojoke

Tango
04-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Do a day trip to Netzely's shop. Great people to deal with in Accord, N.Y.. The money you save will more than pay for the trip. Get a laser alignment as well. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Bob Denman
04-26-2018, 07:54 AM
:agree: Ron should be back in the shop after the first week of May... :thumbup:

blacklightning
04-26-2018, 07:56 AM
With the exception of the confusion on the spyder only having rear brakes, his quote looks fine to me. He did not try to sell you a tire, he just quoted you for labor on the service. I actually like his method. Some of our dealers would tell you the lie that only OEM products should be used, or you will void your warranty.
Only you can decide if you are satisfied with his answers.

wrb3004
04-26-2018, 07:58 AM

Good Afternoon Dan,

Sincerely,

Lacy Huber
Service Advisor
Filers Powersports
585-464-9999

There are at least 3 dealers in a 50 mile radius with Filer's being the closest and I would never let them work on any of my toys. I did once and never again. They are so diversified in what they sell (motorcycles, spyders, slingshots, snowmobiles, atvs, utvs etc) that no one knows what they are selling or servicing. When I stop by to look around and start talking about Spyders I know more than they do and the sales people don't seem to stay long. They are a Victory dealer so I took my Vision to have a recall done and fork seals replaced and asked them to check the belt tension and alignment. They had the belt soooo tight it sounded like it was grinding against the sprockets. I would love to know what spec they were going by. When I asked all I got was "we set it per spec". NOT! I soon learned how to do it myself. The book reads 1 1/4" deflection with 10lbs pressure. I went out and bought a tension gauge and I could barely get 1/2" deflection. Once I got it back to where it should be all was well.

If I need service done on my RT I take it to Bibbens in Weedsport. I took it there last year to have the rear tire replaced, tri-axis handlebars installed and some other stuff and I was happy with there service. I took them a General Altimax RT43 tire and they had no problem installing it. They also do laser alignments.

Big F
04-26-2018, 09:05 AM

Good Afternoon Dan,

Sincerely,

Lacy Huber
Service Advisor
Filers Powersports
585-464-9999

First of all, is this the dealer you got your Spyder from? secondly, I would find another dealer that has more time to take care of your requested services. almost a month out is absurd??????
BIG F

crazycanuck
04-26-2018, 10:10 AM
usually a good idea not to put the dealers information on blast when they haven't done anything wrong outside of providing you with a quote on service you asked for. :dontknow:

whether you agree with the quote is a whole different deal.

Bob Denman
04-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Since they're not here to defend themselves: :agree:

purplepig
04-26-2018, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=crazycanuck;1355314]usually a good idea not to put the dealers information on blast when they haven't done anything wrong outside of providing you with a quote on service you asked for. :dontknow:

whether you agree with the quote is a whole different deal.[/QUOTE

If they haven't done anything wrong, then why does it matter if I post it?
But, I do believe they made a huge error in telling me there are no front brakes on my RT. And no matter why or how that error is made, I want those in my area to know of it so they then can become better consumers.