PDA

View Full Version : Dry Dipstick

BrianO
04-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Our 2016 RT has been stored in the garage all winter. Was checking for mice and fluid levels the other day and noticed the oil dipstick was completely dry. I realize oil drains from the tank into the engine, but was surprised the stick showed nothing. :shocked:
Oil was changed at the dealer just before storage, and there are no drips on the floor so logic says it should be fine.

I know how to correctly check oil level after engine is hot, but is a dry dipstick normal after sitting for weeks?
....brian

Bob Denman
04-25-2018, 07:57 AM
The dry stick means nothing; until having the bike properly warmed-up and the correct oil level check procedure proves otherwise... nojoke
Never worry: until you have something to worry about! :D

Easy Rider
04-25-2018, 08:14 AM
I know how to correctly check oil level after engine is hot, but is a dry dipstick normal after sitting for weeks?
....brian

Yes probably.
The few times I've checked mine cold, there was a tiny bit of oil on the very end of the stick.

TexAmRider
04-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Our 2016 RT has been stored in the garage all winter. Was checking for mice and fluid levels the other day and noticed the oil dipstick was completely dry. I realize oil drains from the tank into the engine, but was surprised the stick showed nothing. :shocked:
Oil was changed at the dealer just before storage, and there are no drips on the floor so logic says it should be fine.

....brian

I liked to have freaked out the first time my oil stick was dry. Same situation after cold storage. Spyder has a dry sump, so after starting and warming up the oil level should be shown on the stick. Ready to Ride :yes:

Bob Denman
04-25-2018, 08:58 AM
That's the key: it's a dry sump bike! nojoke :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
04-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Dry dipstick.......
Don't they have pills for that now ?

Bob Denman
04-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Dry dipstick.......
Don't they have pills for that now ?

:roflblack: :clap: :firstplace: :2thumbs:

Chupaca
04-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Depends on where you keep your level. Ideally it should be between the add and full . If your at the full after setting you may get some left on the dipstick but if your between you probably won't. fire her up and re check normally....:thumbup:

Little Blue
04-25-2018, 03:13 PM
:agree: All very good TIPS. Watch for the oil pressure light to go off after starting. If light stays on Better Shut it off. :thumbup: