PDA

View Full Version : Fuel supplements

MR. H1956
04-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Does anyone use injector cleaner in their gas? Or does it even help to put it in? Just asking since I do it about every 3rd fill up. In our 2011 RT.

Grayfox
04-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Don't know if it helps or not but I use it all the time.

Bob Denman
04-24-2018, 01:42 PM

Spend your money on fuel: it'll make you feel better! :2thumbs:

Mad Mac
04-24-2018, 01:58 PM
I think today's fuels have enough "detergents" in them to keep injectors clean. The only additive I put in ours is Stabil when I top off the tank to store it during the winter. Have had good luck and it always starts at the first hint of spring. Mac:thumbup:

jroberts650
04-24-2018, 02:30 PM
I use Stabil Marine Fuel Treatment in every tankful. Around 1/4 oz treats 5-6 gals. Main reason is to resist moisture in the fuel.

ofdave
04-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Actually some fuel additives do work.
Seafoam is a favorite of mine and many who ride the 6 carb Honda Valkyrie (any carb bike for that matter). The low speed carb circuit gums up easily with the use of ethanol fuel and using Seafoam can clear this up and avoid a carb rebuild.

I understand our Spyders do not have carburetors
Techron has been used with success by many to keep injectors clean, as have Stabil, StarTRon, Biobor (marine diesel & aviation), and a few others. Claims made by the cheep ones are bogus.
Frequent riding virtually eliminates the need for our gas engines to need an additive. Algae builds in diesel fuel and additives can control that to a large degree.
Do we need to use an additive? Probably not, except for long term (more than 45 days) storage (and Stabil has a good record for that use.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to run it through a tank every few thousand miles though. Like Techron or Seafoam

JayBros
04-24-2018, 03:36 PM
A waste of money!

Jetfixer
04-24-2018, 03:45 PM
I strongly suspect that if it was at all required or even helpful, the engineers at Can Am/Rotax would be sure and tell their marketing departments to print that in the owners manuals and require Can Am brand treatments.

Garf
04-24-2018, 04:44 PM
I have used StarTron for the past 5 years in my BMW 1200RT and never had a fuel problem.
Plan on doing the same with the Spyder. 1oz with each fill up.
Supposed to neutralize the corn in today's junk fuel

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-24-2018, 04:57 PM

Spend your money on fuel: it'll make you feel better! :2thumbs:
:agree: ........ The vast majority of additives do next to nothing ...jmho ... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
04-24-2018, 05:41 PM
We may never look in there and see the effect. Advertisements can show you whatever they want. The ryding effect is negligible at best and the higher priced gasoline say they have it in theirs. :dontknow: I use seafoam and have had no problems. One could say I would never have had a problem had I not used it :lecturef_smilie:don't want to find out and it has no negative effect...:thumbup:

Easy Rider
04-24-2018, 06:26 PM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to run it through a tank every few thousand miles though. Like Techron or Seafoam
This.
Techron for injected engines.
Gumout or Berrymans B12 Chemtool for carbs.

My opinion of Seafoam is not quite as high as yours.
I consider it overpriced snake oil.
None of it's ingredients are particularly good solvents for fuel residue.

P.S. There is absolutely NO good reason to add anything to every tank full.

jroberts650
04-25-2018, 05:59 AM
This.

I'm not sure that I would agree with that last statement. I'm not saying you're wrong but think of this. Our fuel tank is right over the engine and subject to extremely high temps. When temps like that go up and down, moisture forms. And ethanol attracts moisture. Especially since the fuel system is atmosphere vented.

For the $5 I pay for Stabil and only use 1/4 oz in each tank, the cost is very minute and lasts me several months. And I use it in my atvs and mowers also. For 5 years I have never had to drain the tank because of degraded fuel or even cleaned carbs because of gummed jets. So to use In my Spyder and have that piece of mind, I'm ok with it.

Easy Rider
04-25-2018, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure that I would agree with that last statement.

For the $5 I pay for Stabil and only use 1/4 oz in each tank,

And I think that if you really believe that 1/4 ounce of anything diluted in 5 gallons (640 ounces) of fuel is doing anything useful, you are just kidding yourself.

But in many cases, perception is reality......so do whatever makes you feel good.
It certainly won't hurt anything.

jroberts650
04-25-2018, 08:23 AM
And I think

You think is exactly that.... a thought. Not fact. So unless you've done the tests and provide evidence that it does nothing, do what you want with your equipment. I know how mine has been using the treatment. And that's all I need for proof.

Zip
04-25-2018, 08:38 AM
http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is-the-best-ethanol-fuel-treatment/ (http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is-the-best-ethanol-fuel-treatment/)

Zip
04-25-2018, 09:37 AM
http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is-the-best-ethanol-fuel-treatment/ (http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is-the-best-ethanol-fuel-treatment/)

robtdonna
04-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Or, if available, you can pay a little more and use non-ethanol fuel. Which is my preference.

Here's a good Non-E locator.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

ofdave
04-25-2018, 10:16 AM
This.

My comments on Seafoam are based on first hand experience, not hearsay.

Bob Denman
04-25-2018, 10:17 AM
Straight Gas did give me about a 10% bump in fuel economy... :thumbup:
But these engines will handle E-10 fuel without any problems...

Highwayman2013
04-25-2018, 10:42 AM
You think is exactly that.... a thought. Not fact. So unless you've done the tests and provide evidence that it does nothing, do what you want with your equipment. I know how mine has been using the treatment. And that's all I need for proof.

Have YOU done any research or have any proof of what you are doing has any effect? I don't use any treatment and mine runs fine. How's that for anecdotal evidence.

MR. H1956
04-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks to all. Never know till you ask. I've used seafoam and Lucas injector cleaner before on my semi trucks. All info is always welcome. Happy Trails to everyone:riding::riding: ride safe ride often.

jroberts650
04-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Have YOU done any research or have any proof of what you are doing has any effect? I don't use any treatment and mine runs fine. How's that for anecdotal evidence.

I use stabil marine in every small engine I have.... 2 atvs, 2 mowers, generator and wood splitter. I have been using it exclusively for 5 years and have yet to have any problems, clogged jets or filters or just plain bad gas that won't burn. I never have had to drain the tanks or carbs or take the carbs off to clean since using it in my gasoline. Try that with ethanol gas that's untreated and see what happens.

That's my research and all the proof I need.

jroberts650
04-25-2018, 11:18 AM
If you burn through your tanks pretty regularly, no you shouldn't need to use any. But during storage or if you don't ride a lot and the fuel sits. It will benefit to use the stabilizer. I could care less whether anyone uses it or not. I'm just stating my preferences and my experience using it and not using it.

Just don't bash people for using it regardless of your opinion. They have their reason to use it.

Fire34
04-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Star Tron is what our dealer recommended for winter storage, I started adding some the last coupe of rides for the season, might want to add some during the riding season also. Just toooo bad we cant stop the ethanol boondoggle.

Dave

Easy Rider
04-25-2018, 04:29 PM
And that's all I need for proof.

I've had an elephant repeller in my house for 70 years.
No elephants ever.
Conclusive proof that the device works.

Bob Denman
04-25-2018, 04:57 PM
No elephants ever.
:clap::roflblack::thumbup:

jroberts650
04-26-2018, 06:10 AM
No elephants ever.

Very classy guy. I see you don't have to work hard at all to be jacka$$

Bob Denman
04-26-2018, 07:00 AM
:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie ::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smili e:

Lew L
04-26-2018, 09:16 AM

No need to start up with him------- It's REAL easy to put someone on you ignore list.

Lew L

Easy Rider
04-26-2018, 04:48 PM

Well you understood my point, didn't you ??

Saying that your experience is just "anecdotal" evidence and is pretty much meaningless just by itself, probably would have upset you even more......but it IS true.

But you can go right on thinking that your experience represents the WHOLE WORLD and is the only truth that exists.
And keep calling anyone who doesn't agree with you nasty names.

Talk about a classy guy........:bowdown:

Bob Denman
04-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Hey easy...
Where'd you get that elephant repeller?
I want to get one for my Mother-In -Law's Birthday. :roflblack:

MR. H1956
04-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Hey easy...
Where'd you get that elephant repeller?
I want to get one for my Mother-In -Law's Birthday. :roflblack:
I want a case of it. Does it come in ex wife form also.

Mikey
04-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Actually some fuel additives do work.
Seafoam is a favorite of mine and many who ride the 6 carb Honda Valkyrie (any carb bike for that matter). The low speed carb circuit gums up easily with the use of ethanol fuel and using Seafoam can clear this up and avoid a carb rebuild.

I understand our Spyders do not have carburetors
Techron has been used with success by many to keep injectors clean, as have Stabil, StarTRon, Biobor (marine diesel & aviation), and a few others. Claims made by the cheep ones are bogus.
Frequent riding virtually eliminates the need for our gas engines to need an additive. Algae builds in diesel fuel and additives can control that to a large degree.
Do we need to use an additive? Probably not, except for long term (more than 45 days) storage (and Stabil has a good record for that use.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to run it through a tank every few thousand miles though. Like Techron or Seafoam:agree: Have used it in everything I own, with some good out comes, two and four stroke.

Docster
04-28-2018, 09:11 PM

Maybe, but not the best non-biased source;

The owner of this website, Fuel System Guide, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking AutoCodeScanners.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time.

MR. H1956
05-09-2018, 09:53 AM
If I could find away to make the old spyder run on water that would be good. Then I could run some Dawn liquid soap through it and really clean the engine. Happy Trails to Us All. :riding: Ride Safe. Ride Often My Friends. And thanks for all the comments. It helps a lot.

Bob Denman
05-09-2018, 10:46 AM
If you've got a "Squeaky Snake": use snake oil... :thumbup: :D

dpetrick
05-09-2018, 11:24 AM
I use stabilizer in all my fuel that sits in cans or the lawn mower or other small engines I use in the yard. Sometimes, if it gets dry, I do not have to mow the lawn for a month or more. Never have had a problem with the trimmer, mower or snowblower. Anything that sits get stabilizer in the fuel. I don't use additives very much otherwise. Occasionally will use Seafoam when the temp swings greatly, which can cause water in the fuel.
Being in Iowa, I have run hundreds of thousands of miles using ethanol fuel in cars and small trucks, with no issues. Only issues I have seen actual data on, are reduced fuel economy, and issues when the vehicle is left sitting for extended periods. But even non ethanol fuel can cause problems in vehicles that are stored for long periods. The ethanol industry tends to over hype the positives and those who are against ethanol seem to tend to do the same and emphasize the negatives. It is a good idea to check who is doing the research, before accepting the results. I read a research study that basically said there were zero reports of engine failure because of ethanol use. A bit of digging showed that the research was from a pro ethanol source.
Use what ever works for you, and take the time to get whatever info you can to help make your decision.

JayBros
05-09-2018, 12:08 PM

Read the paragraph at the bottom of the About Us page; nothing more than a site that makes money from companies that want to advertise on their site.

Many folks on this site agree that regardless of how one "feels" about a motor oil, the proof is in analysis of the product. The same should apply to fuel additives. I speak only of routine use of such products and not for use during winter layups which some of us don't have to contend with.

Fatcycledaddy
05-09-2018, 01:05 PM
If it makes you feel better and gives you peace of mind as you ride, its worth the money, spend it, and use it.
Whether it actually helps anything can be argued for the rest of your life, but no one can ever say that any of them hurt anything.
So then if it gives you peace of mind, ask yourself, what is your peace of mind worth?