PDA

View Full Version : Read about a 2 up shock, but...

BigGuy66
04-22-2018, 11:33 AM
... I couldn't find any info when I searched. I have a 2010 RT SM5 and ride 2 up almost always. I assume a 2 up shock will help with the ride - we are both pretty big. I do make sure the air bag is filled but I wonder if a 2 up shock is stronger and would give us a better ride. Where do I find that shock? Can I do the install?
Jim

Blue Star
04-22-2018, 11:39 AM
... I couldn't find any info when I searched. I have a 2010 RT SM5 and ride 2 up almost always. I assume a 2 up shock will help with the ride - we are both pretty big. I do make sure the air bag is filled but I wonder if a 2 up shock is stronger and would give us a better ride. Where do I find that shock? Can I do the install?
Jim

I believe the 2 up shock are for the F3's.

Mad Mac
04-22-2018, 11:59 AM
One of the site sponsors (Elka) maybe have what you need??? Mac:doorag:

Chupaca
04-22-2018, 12:31 PM
All the talk of late is about the F3. On yours you would have to see which shock you have and if it is adjusted correctly. If there is no more adjustment it may be time to go to an aftermarket shock....Elka, Progressive, Fox, RaceTec etc...:thumbup:

spacetiger
04-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Jim

Jim,

I think you would be surprised at the ride quality improvement if you just swap the springs in front and rear. You didn't post your combined weight, but based on my experience with the 2012 RTS and your pic, I would say you are looking at 450 (or possibly 500 depending on your combined riding weight) lb/in springs in front and 900 lbs/in spring for the rear shock. You need stiffer springs up front because the earlier spyders (up to 2012) used a steeper shock mounting up front.

Here are my threads on what I did. Because of what Photobucket did, you have to do this to be able to see the pics.:
If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result.

Front suspension: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60792-2012-RT-S-SE5-Front-Suspension
Rear suspension: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61674-2012-RT-S-SE5-Rear-Suspension-(shock)

I used really stiff springs (550 I think) and should have gone lighter up front (I ride mostly solo), 800 lb/in for rear for mostly solo riding worked for me as a 190 lb rider. I'm guessing you need 900lb/in since you ride mostly 2 up. It is a little work to do this, but it is FAR cheaper than going with aftermarket shocks. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Jerry