PDA

View Full Version : make it sound better

SailnDive
04-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Is there an easy way to make the RTs sound more like a cycle without spending a lot of money on a whole new exhaust system? I don't like really loud bikes but this RT sounds like a Singer sewing machine! I'm sure many owners have dealt with this.

DGoebel
04-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Depends on what sound you want. Akrapovic Sport Silencers, Cat Deletes, and many, many other exhaust options, just ask tehrlich, he's got a couple different ones barely used for sale (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?111830-RT-Exhaust). The Silencer is only half of a "Complete Exhaust system"

Bob Denman
04-19-2018, 09:14 AM
There's literally tons of choices out there, and it's your money (and your ears)!
Happy shopping! :thumbup:

Don'tPanic
04-19-2018, 09:25 AM
You can clip a few playing cards to your spokes :roflblack:

Chupaca
04-19-2018, 09:56 AM
There are steps you can take starting with the cat delete. You can go on youtube and hear a bunch of different mods but they are only references as in real life they may be a bit different depending on the spekers you are listening on. Odd cylinder set ups are hard to make sound like even ones much like trying to make your VW beetle sound like a Mustang....:roflblack:

DGoebel
04-19-2018, 11:12 AM
SailnDive,
I had to do some searching but found this post by Peter Aawen who did modify his stock final exhaust, so no "new parts" needed for that. Though he mentions this in addition to doing a cat delete, the stock final exhaust mod could, (I don't know, Pete might) give you what you're looking for, for less outlay.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?104711-Muffler-baffels-and-cat-bypass&p=1260324&viewfull=1#post1260324

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-19-2018, 11:22 AM
akropovic for me on 2013 rts

Dmetcalf
04-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Had this guy install a stainless exhaust and couldn’t be happier.

SailnDive
04-19-2018, 07:55 PM
I ordered the Lamonster replacement pipe today. I can only hope that it will give me the desired effect.

DGoebel
04-19-2018, 10:28 PM
The Cat Delete replacement pipe? It will definitely make a difference! Follow the computer reset and initial start, warmup, let the system adjust process before rappin' in out and you should be great!

CMA/IBA_rider
04-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Record the sound of the bike that you like for multiple bikes and play it on the stereo real loud. I've got a Chevy Volt it doesn't make any sound. Recorded a Dodge with a Hemi in it. Now my Chevy Volt rumbles on the inside

DGoebel
05-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Record the sound of the bike that you like for multiple bikes and play it on the stereo real loud. I've got a Chevy Volt it doesn't make any sound. Recorded a Dodge with a Hemi in it. Now my Chevy Volt rumbles on the inside

Brother,
Now you've gone and done it. I'm gonna make a digital sound loop with a recording of my neighbor's really annoyingly loud HD when's he's trying to keep his motor running, then tie that into the Spyder's sound system and play it when I drive by HIS house...<G>:clap:

tehrlich
05-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Depends on what sound you want. Akrapovic Sport Silencers, Cat Deletes, and many, many other exhaust options, just ask tehrlich, he's got a couple different ones barely used for sale (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?111830-RT-Exhaust). The Silencer is only half of a "Complete Exhaust system"Thanks for the plug regarding my exhausts for sale.

I still have them for sale... everything's negotiable.

PaladinLV
05-15-2018, 12:11 AM
Simple answer is NO!
You can make it deeper; you can make it louder; you can give it pop.
You can make it sound like a Alfa, or a variety of other "inline" sports cars, But it will never ever sound even close to a V Twin.

AJ

Is there an easy way to make the RTs sound more like a cycle

Revalden
11-28-2018, 01:18 AM
You can clip a few playing cards to your spokes :roflblack:

:roflblack:

johnsimion
11-28-2018, 01:54 AM
Is there an easy way to make the RTs sound more like a cycle without spending a lot of money on a whole new exhaust system? I don't like really loud bikes but this RT sounds like a Singer sewing machine! I'm sure many owners have dealt with this.

When I was in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago, I rented a Spyder that had one of those custom exhausts. OMG that thing was loud! I would NEVER EVER EVER put such a thing on my Spyder. After five hours on that thing with no earplugs, my ears were seriously ringing and hurting. I was really and truly glad to get back to riding my dear old Singer sewing machine. I like the idea of recording some kind of loud engine and playing it through the radio -- that way you can just turn it off when you're tired of it. As a possible alternative, I seem to recall from 40 years ago that you could just drill a hole in your stock car muffler to make it louder. Dunno if that would work on a Spyder or how loud it would be, but it would certainly be cheap enough to try and you could reverse it by just putting a screw in the hole again. Or you could wait for someone to invent an active exhaust system like you now see as an option on Mustang GTs and similar cars. With such a system, you can select Quiet, Sport or Blast Your Eardrums Out mode with a dial.

Fire34
11-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Dont Quite understand why would one want to make our spyders sound like harleys? We have a 2013 RTL and with our helmets on and at highwat/cruising speed it has a pretty good hum to it but have no idea what it souds like, or how loud, but even then I just idle in the neighborhood cause it sure seems loud enough to me. Not sure if the previous owner di any mods to the exhaust though. Thanks guys
Dave

ARtraveler
11-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Its all about different strokes for different folks. I don't like loud mufflers--but that's just me.

If that is what you want for yours...go for it. :yes:

Fire34
11-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Its all about different strokes for different folks. I don't like loud mufflers--but that's just me.

If that is what you want for yours...go for it. :yes:

:2thumbs:

Dan-Am
11-28-2018, 08:49 PM
I'm with Chupaca!
If you have the 998 V-Twin, it's hard to beat the sound of the Yoshi. When I started my 2010 RSS to warm it up, my Harley neighbor would come out and comment on how good it sounded...throaty. rumbly, poppy, but not annoyingly loud. Owning a 2014 RTS now, I'm know that wonderful tone is not available for me. Sure, the 1330 can be made LOUD, but that is not my objective. I have ordered the RLS cat delete, mostly for heat reduction, but in hopes that there will be some improvement to the non-impressive stock exhaust note. With exhaust, hearing them in person is always best, if possible.
There is a great YouTube video comparing: 1)OEM cat with aftermarket silencer 2)Cat delete with OEM silencer, and 3) Cat delete with aftermarket silencer

DaveZinAz
11-29-2018, 09:40 AM
...I have ordered the RLS cat delete, mostly for heat reduction, but in hopes that there will be some improvement to the non-impressive stock exhaust note. ...

I am on the fence about this very same purchase. Are you planning on sticking with the stock muffler?
At this point, that is where I am heading. RLS cat delete and keep the rest stock.

Can you report back and let us know your impressions of the sound?

Thanks,
Dave

Dan-Am
12-02-2018, 10:11 AM
I am on the fence about this very same purchase. Are you planning on sticking with the stock muffler?
At this point, that is where I am heading. RLS cat delete and keep the rest stock.

Can you report back and let us know your impressions of the sound?

Thanks,
Dave
I do plan to keep the stock silencer. I will give my opinion on the sound after installation. I might try to record the change but I don't have much confidence in the reliability of that reproduction. We'll see :dontknow:

SpyderSteveFL
12-06-2018, 12:09 AM
I put on the RLS cat delete about a month ago with stock muffler. I'm happy with it. It did change the exhaust tone and it's a little louder. I would do it again.

DaveZinAz
12-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Spyder Steve,
Did you have any additional baffles added?
Did you notice any drop in low end grunt or off the line acceleration?

Thanks.

Bob Denman
12-12-2018, 09:09 AM
:D You just need the right passenger... :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4reewr9Cc

Mick N
12-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Very funny! Thanks for the laugh!

SpyderSteveFL
12-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Spyder Steve,
Did you have any additional baffles added?
Did you notice any drop in low end grunt or off the line acceleration?

Thanks.

No additional baffles, just removed the stock cat and replaced with the RLS. This model has a baffle built in. If anything I think it has more acceleration and low end.