PDA

View Full Version : Doors Can Hurt You

Spyder_Cowgirl
04-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Say what? nojoke Yes, they can ... especially if you do what I did and trip over hubby's motorcycle lift. Fortunately, we were getting ready for a ride so I was in full gear. But, I still went face first into the door with close to my full body weight -- perfect three point landing with face to door, right knee and right elbow to concrete. :yikes: I am quite certain, had I been without helmet, I would have broken my face or worse (neck). As it was, I ended up with pretty severe whiplash and five weeks later have now learned that I did enough damage to my right shoulder that surgery is my only option.

So, did it stop us from taking our ride that day? Heck no ... though I was in obvious pain by the time we stopped at the local Harley Dealer to meet up with the rest of the donut posse. Has not stopped me from riding since, either ...not sure when the surgery will be. But I expect to be off the Spyder for at least 6 weeks -- I am hoping that my 6 years of conditioning with a personal trainer will help in my recovery. It was this conditioning that turned out to be the give away that something was wrong -- I can easily do counter balanced pull ups where I am pulling 100 lbs (well, not right now). So, that strong structure should have stabilized the shoulder, and it didn't.

Going into this with a positive attitude and willing myself to recover quickly .... all the best ... Ann

oldguyinTX
04-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Wow Ann, that bites. Get fixed and heal up real quick so you can get "back in the saddle."

UtahPete
04-14-2018, 07:34 PM
That's tough! You are tough! Get well.

Chupaca
04-14-2018, 08:00 PM
So sorry to hear that this mishap will keep you off your spyder just when things are getting nice..:gaah:but take your time and heal well...:pray:'s it will be a short time with little discomfort...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-14-2018, 08:16 PM
Our thoughts and :pray::pray: are with you. :yes:

d.o.spyder-rts
04-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, GET WELL Soon. Dale

youngers
04-15-2018, 05:39 AM
what a deal little lady , sorry to hear about the freak accident , what a way to put a damping into a fun day of riding ... ( the misses here left shoulder is acting wacky , so we know what sort of pain in the butt , this problem is ---- have you tried cortisone shot in the joint area ? ) hoping you have a recovery that surpasses what the doctors hope for ...

Bob Denman
04-15-2018, 07:56 AM
:shocked: Would you like a Guardian Bell for the strap of your helmet?
Heal quickly and completely! :2thumbs:

Spyder_Cowgirl
04-15-2018, 11:04 AM
:shocked: Would you like a Guardian Bell for the strap of your helmet?
Heal quickly and completely! :2thumbs:

:roflblack::roflblack: Bob ... certainly couldn't hurt! Thanks for the offer .... Ann

Spyder_Cowgirl
04-15-2018, 11:08 AM
what a deal little lady , sorry to hear about the freak accident , what a way to put a damping into a fun day of riding ... ( the misses here left shoulder is acting wacky , so we know what sort of pain in the butt , this problem is ---- have you tried cortisone shot in the joint area ? ) hoping you have a recovery that surpasses what the doctors hope for ...

Cortisone is not an option at this point -- I've had too many in the last couple of years to treat a persistent rash / irritation and I don't do well on them physically (the systemic after effects are not fun). And, since I've already been through almost 6 weeks of therapy through my chiropractor, I am hoping I can skip that as well. I really need a permanent fix so I can get back to ranch business and be well enough to help hubby should he decide to have his ankle repaired (again).

Thank you .... Ann

2dogs
04-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Had orthoscopic done on my right rotator cuff. One week out of the sling and I was riding my bike to and from therapy. The position of my right hand arm and shoulder on the handle bar felt good and comfortable. The slight vibration was also comforting. The dam therapy is what hurt.

Spyder_Cowgirl
04-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Had orthoscopic done on my right rotator cuff. One week out of the sling and I was riding my bike to and from therapy. The position of my right hand arm and shoulder on the handle bar felt good and comfortable. The slight vibration was also comforting. The dam therapy is what hurt.

Yeah .... I remember how much PT hurt (they should call it Physical Torture) when I had my right foot worked on (severe bone spur had almost taken my Achilles tendon out, called Haglund's Deformity). Anyway, I swore that the therapist had knives in her fingers when she started in on the deep tissue massage!

Thanks .... Ann

2dogs
04-15-2018, 12:41 PM
It was the ice pack they put on me at the end of the session. Dam I hated that. The warm wet blanket they started with was oh so good. And the girls were really cute and had good hands. (That part is just a guy thing.) Finally I had to get a hall pass from the surgeon giving them permission to forgo the ice packs. Those things made me feel worse after therapy than before I went in.

wyliec
04-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Say what? nojoke Yes, they can ... especially if you do what I did and trip over hubby's motorcycle lift. Fortunately, we were getting ready for a ride so I was in full gear. But, I still went face first into the door with close to my full body weight -- perfect three point landing with face to door, right knee and right elbow to concrete. :yikes: I am quite certain, had I been without helmet, I would have broken my face or worse (neck). As it was, I ended up with pretty severe whiplash and five weeks later have now learned that I did enough damage to my right shoulder that surgery is my only option.

So, did it stop us from taking our ride that day? Heck no ... though I was in obvious pain by the time we stopped at the local Harley Dealer to meet up with the rest of the donut posse. Has not stopped me from riding since, either ...not sure when the surgery will be. But I expect to be off the Spyder for at least 6 weeks -- I am hoping that my 6 years of conditioning with a personal trainer will help in my recovery. It was this conditioning that turned out to be the give away that something was wrong -- I can easily do counter balanced pull ups where I am pulling 100 lbs (well, not right now). So, that strong structure should have stabilized the shoulder, and it didn't.

Going into this with a positive attitude and willing myself to recover quickly .... all the best ... Ann

I hope everything goes well for you, surgery and post surgery. I just want to make one small comment. Most people workout to train a specific muscle group; in the case of the shoulder complex (with all its different muscles), the best way to train the shoulder is to functionally train movement patterns. I have a crossover symmetry I use before my actual workout to help ingrain the different movement patterns. I do pull-ups and chin ups without counter weights, and that wasn't enough to prevent hurting my shoulder a few years back, before I started with the crossover symmetry. Once again, good luck and speedy recovery.