PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tiedown

SteveandBelinda
04-12-2018, 10:41 PM
I like to see some pictures of how those that have enclosed trailers, tie down their Spyder, and whether your trailer is single axle or double, and either 12 or 14 foot long?
Thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2018, 11:21 PM
I like to see some pictures of how those that have enclosed trailers, tie down their Spyder, and whether your trailer is single axle or double, and either 12 or 14 foot long?
Thanks Sorry can't provide LINKS , but I and others here have posted pics of a Ratchet Strap over the rear tire ( in-line with tread ) . This secures the Spyder to the trailer without the strap touching anything but the tire... I have been in two accidents with this arrangement and the Spyder never moved ..... I do a have a 12" X 12 " piece of wood that I drive my Spyder onto .... It has three sides and prevents ANY movement of the front tires , very simple and almost zero cost ...... I bought the Strap on E-bay from " Discount Ramps " they sell for less on E-bay than at their Web site ...... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Thanks I see you will be at Spyderfest ...... so you could see mine in person ....I have a Toyt. Tacoma pk-up ...the trk bed is 67 inches wide ( inside ) and 9 Ft long ........ I drive up a 10 ft long ramp that is 28 inches from the ground at the trk. end ...I've done this in the pouring rain in the dark ....the Spyder goes up it like a tractor and the rear tire never slipped because I have made a " cheese grater style " no -slip surface .... I made from 24ga. sheet metal and a large nail to make the perforations ............ Mike

SteveandBelinda
04-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Not sure we are going to SpyderFest this year yet. Last year left a real bad taste for the wife because of the rain and floods, but great place to ride. Looking at possibly buying an enclosed trailer for hauling to warmer climates in winter. Drove bike into a 7 X 14 yesterday, but really want to stay with a 7 X 12, single axle with electric brake.. Was discussing with trailer place about options for tying down, if I buy one.

QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1351598]I see you will be at Spyderfest ...... so you could see mine in person ....I have a Toyt. Tacoma pk-up ...the trk bed is 67 inches wide ( inside ) and 9 Ft long ........ I drive up a 10 ft long ramp that is 28 inches from the ground at the trk. end ...I've done this in the pouring rain in the dark ....the Spyder goes up it like a tractor and the rear tire never slipped because I have made a " cheese grater style " no -slip surface .... I made from 24ga. sheet metal and a large nail to make the perforations ............ Mike [/QUOTE]

Gbham
04-13-2018, 09:08 AM
I am currently waiting on some tie downs. I have an open trailer but Auto Hauler Supply is making me some wheel straps for the front tires. Gunnar is who I am talking to at 866.855.4245. Will get pictures as soon as they arrive. I am using E Track on the flatbed trailer.

Huked
04-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Thanks

I use these along the edge of my floor near the wall to keep my floor smooth for other cargo at other times.

I use them in this sort of configuration (not a pic of my Spyder). I only use one strap in the back. Microfiber cloth to not scuff the wheels.

Here is a pic of the way Mike and several others do it with good results (An example of concept may or may not have chocks). I just do not want tie points in my floor, but if you do then this is a good option.

I have a 12' V nose with single Torsion Axles no trailer brakes. My set up works well for me and my RS. If you have the storage space the money and the rig to tow it, bigger is OK too. I have more then enough space and it was what I could afford. 14' tandem axle opens you up for more possibilities if you need the trailer for other things, but it's not a must.

feetprints
04-13-2018, 10:02 AM
I see you will be at Spyderfest ...... so you could see mine in person ....I have a Toyt. Tacoma pk-up ...the trk bed is 67 inches wide ( inside ) and 9 Ft long ........ I drive up a 10 ft long ramp that is 28 inches from the ground at the trk. end ...I've done this in the pouring rain in the dark ....the Spyder goes up it like a tractor and the rear tire never slipped because I have made a " cheese grater style " no -slip surface .... I made from 24ga. sheet metal and a large nail to make the perforations ............ Mike
Must be a custom made truck box as from the factory the biggest box size is 57 inches wide and 73 inches long( even with end gate down it is less than 8 feet.

Deanna777
04-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Sorry can't provide LINKS , but I and others here have posted pics of a Ratchet Strap over the rear tire ( in-line with tread ) . This secures the Spyder to the trailer without the strap touching anything but the tire... I have been in two accidents with this arrangement and the Spyder never moved ..... I do a have a 12" X 12 " piece of wood that I drive my Spyder onto .... It has three sides and prevents ANY movement of the front tires , very simple and almost zero cost ...... I bought the Strap on E-bay from " Discount Ramps " they sell for less on E-bay than at their Web site ...... Mike :thumbup:Yes, the above description does work, I can vouch for that. Deanna