PDA

View Full Version : COULD THIS HAPPEN??

oldguyinTX
04-11-2018, 11:27 AM
If so, quite disturbing. Think George Orwell "1984."

http://ride-ct.com/dramatic-series-projects-dystopian-future/

RinconRyder
04-11-2018, 11:39 AM
There will come a time when the fossil fuels get so costly to produce that a switch to some other sort of fuel will be necessary. So, yes, someday it will come true. But before that think of most Asian countries now. Their low income dictates they ride small engined motorcycles today instead of big cruisers or cars. And even in countries where cars proliferate, like Japan, the average car and delivery vehicle are very small compared to what we in the USA are used to.

But before all that happens why don't the movie producers ask themselves "why not require people to use motorcycles rather than cars....and especially SUV's and large pickup trucks which are not needed for farm or commercial work"?

We could be stretching our remaining dino fuels by centuries if only we did not consume so wastefully.

Bob Denman
04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't worry... just yet! :thumbup:
There is ALWAYS some sort of "doomsday dogma" just waiting to make prime-time news... :gaah:

johnsimion
04-11-2018, 11:47 AM
In a word, no.

Our federal government isn't about to ban gas-powered motorcycles ... why should they? The trailer says nothing about banning gas-powered cars, and you can put the same pollution controls on a motorcycle that you can on a car.

And even if all gas-powered vehicles were banned, there are electric powered motorcycles. Why would ALL motorcycles be banned when electric motorcycles are available? You allow electric cars but not electric motorcycles?

The voiceover on the trailer says something about Europe and Asia banning motorcycles but I can't tell what she's saying. Regardless, Europe and Asia aren't about to ban gas-powered motorcycles, let alone ALL motorcycles. Those countries have hundreds of millions of gas-powered motorcycles. Who in their right mind could see India or China banning all gas-powered motorcycles? Both countries would be totally paralyzed.

Where is the "call" to ban motorcycles? Who's asking for such a ban?

And these people aren't content with making a movie about this ... a series??? Seriously?

This is a REALLY stupid concept.

Bob Denman
04-11-2018, 12:14 PM
:agree: Our power-grid isn't capable of providing the power necessary to re-charge a significant increase in electric vehicles anyway...
And most of the grid is running on either oil or coal anyway! You'll STILL have all of the pollution problems! :banghead:

ARtraveler
04-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Interesting scenario. Not happening in our time. :yes:

Holly
04-11-2018, 12:27 PM
In a word, no.

Our federal government isn't about to ban gas-powered motorcycles ... why should they? The trailer says nothing about banning gas-powered cars, and you can put the same pollution controls on a motorcycle that you can on a car.

And even if all gas-powered vehicles were banned, there are electric powered motorcycles. Why would ALL motorcycles be banned when electric motorcycles are available? You allow electric cars but not electric motorcycles?

The voiceover on the trailer says something about Europe and Asia banning motorcycles but I can't tell what she's saying. Regardless, Europe and Asia aren't about to ban gas-powered motorcycles, let alone ALL motorcycles. Those countries have hundreds of millions of gas-powered motorcycles. Who in their right mind could see India or China banning all gas-powered motorcycles? Both countries would be totally paralyzed.

Where is the "call" to ban motorcycles? Who's asking for such a ban?

And these people aren't content with making a movie about this ... a series??? Seriously?

This is a REALLY stupid concept.

The Governors of California and NY. :joke:

Lew L
04-11-2018, 01:25 PM
" out of my cold ,dead hands" :joke::joke::joke: For those who can't see a joke symbol it looks this---:joke:---- and means It's a joke.

Lew L

Bob Denman
04-11-2018, 02:18 PM
" out of my cold ,dead hands" :joke::joke::joke: For those who can't see a joke symbol it looks this---:joke:---- and means It's a joke.

Lew L

I was there when it was said:

Chupaca
04-11-2018, 03:42 PM
No one here will be around to see it...:lecturef_smilie:but will it..? Probably

stmike 1800
04-11-2018, 04:02 PM
I can not see government doing this ,they make to much money off gas tax.

Bob Denman
04-11-2018, 04:50 PM
These guys are probably on the cutting edge of the electric bike technology...

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

They're getting "almost close", to a 200 mile range... :clap:

billybovine
04-11-2018, 04:53 PM
:agree: Our power-grid isn't capable of providing the power necessary to re-charge a significant increase in electric vehicles anyway...
And most of the grid is running on either oil or coal anyway! You'll STILL have all of the pollution problems! :banghead:

I have to partly disagree. There is almost no oil used for electricity generation. Keep up Bob things are changing. But 62% in the US comes from fossil fuels.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Bob Denman
04-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:
But my point is still valid: we're burning something in order to make all of that power.
And those pollutants aren't doing anybody any good... :shocked:

RinconRyder
04-11-2018, 06:14 PM

Actually, the federal gubmint reports the following electric generation by fuel type numbers:

Natural Gas 31.7%
Coal 30.1%
Petroleum .5%
Nuclear 20%
Renewables 17.1%

And, although coal is not a clean fuel it is much easier to control pollution at a single source rather than at the tailpipes of millions of vehicles.

The gubmint also reports there is about a 1/3 difference between peak power production totals and off-peak. More analysis would be required to compare refueling electric vehicles overnight to peak use but it is possible that evening out the power consumption of the national electric grid would be virtually possible if electric vehicles constituted the mass of vehicles in the USA (and the majority refueling overnight). The power companies would love this as their generation plants are much more efficient at a given output than running at peak/non-peak generation.

The mass changeover from dino fuels to electric will not happen in our lifetimes but it will happen - and then what happens to the air travel industry? Reddy Kilowatt can't run aircraft.