PDA

View Full Version : Trailer pigtail

MR. H1956
04-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Is it better to use the plug and play wire harness or use the hard wire pigtail on a 2011 RT. I have a trailer hitch on the bike but I can't seam to find the wiring harness on the bike. We just orded a new aluminum trailer that will be here at the end of the month. I figure I'd just put a new one on to make sure its right before riding season starts. Any suggestions which one is better for this.:dontknow:

Snowbelt Spyder
04-07-2018, 06:46 PM
... can’t find the wiring harnes....

Well then, its kinda like this. If the trailer hitch that you have is the BRP OEM hitch, the wiring kit / module came with it. If it was a model year 2011 or 2012 hitch kit, the trailer plug is a 9 pin round plug mounted on your rear fender. Not all 9 pins were used, however. If the hitch kit was a model year 2013 or later, the module also came with it, but in this case, the trailer plug is a little square 4 pin plug that hangs down under your left side saddle bag compartment. The trailer harness that you might have depends on what year the hitch kit was purchased and installed.

Of course, if you bought just the hitch used, then that's all you have....no module kit.

If you're sure that there is no OEM module / plug installed, then the most cost effective alternative is the Show Chrome harness. It's also an isolated harness and will terminate with 5 wires. You supply your own connector depending on what your trailer will have. Seems that the typical non-BRP trailers are 5 wire.

pegasus1300
04-07-2018, 06:49 PM
What kind of plug will you be having on your trailer? If you will be having a 4 prong plug then I would use the plug and play from Pierre at can am spyder accessories.com . If you have 5 prong plug use the one from Value accessories. Personally i prefer the 5 prong plug. I did use Pierre's plug and play but I made it into a 5 wire system as my trailer is a 5 wire system.

MR. H1956
04-07-2018, 08:15 PM
... can’t find the wiring harnes....

Well then, its kinda like this. If the trailer hitch that you have is the BRP OEM hitch, the wiring kit / module came with it. If it was a model year 2011 or 2012 hitch kit, the trailer plug is a 9 pin round plug mounted on your rear fender. Not all 9 pins were used, however. If the hitch kit was a model year 2013 or later, the module also came with it, but in this case, the trailer plug is a little square 4 pin plug that hangs down under your left side saddle bag compartment. The trailer harness that you might have depends on what year the hitch kit was purchased and installed.

Of course, if you bought just the hitch used, then that's all you have....no module kit.

If you're sure that there is no OEM module / plug installed, then the most cost effective alternative is the Show Chrome harness. It's also an isolated harness and will terminate with 5 wires. You supply your own connector depending on what your trailer will have. Seems that the typical non-BRP trailers are 5 wire.
We bought the bike used with the hitch on in 2014. But this is the first time we've had a chance to get a new trailer to pull behind the spyder. The last one we had was towed with a goldwing. It got totaled out when we got rear ended at a red lite in 2014. I'll look around and under it some more. Maybe it got pushed up in the back of the bike where I can't see it. Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a oem hitch.

MR. H1956
04-07-2018, 08:25 PM
What kind of plug will you be having on your trailer? If you will be having a 4 prong plug then I would use the plug and play from Pierre at can am spyder accessories.com . If you have 5 prong plug use the one from Value accessories. Personally i prefer the 5 prong plug. I did use Pierre's plug and play but I made it into a 5 wire system as my trailer is a 5 wire system.
I believe the trailer is a 4 wire acording to the place where we ordered it from. I'll check again to make sure. I watched the video's on how to install the harness from Pierre's web site. So it should be easy to do. I like the 5 prong also So it may get changed over. Thank you for the reply.